• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spirit Air Becomes First to Charge for Carry-On Bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dali

Dreams-Visions said:
Spirit Air is a good airline.

But this is a very bad idea. Measuring people's carry-on luggage and determining if they're going to have to pay more is not good. It presumes people can afford it or expect it. It's a big surprise to ask someone for another $40 at the airport out of the blue.
Clueless people deserve to get blindsided. I'm sure there will be other flights. Their broke ass can wait for someone to bring them the money or they reconsider whether or not they should be traveling when it puts them in such financial straits.

Ceres said:
The difference is that Ryanair costs something like $20 while Spirit Air isn't really any cheaper than companies like Airtran and Southwest or even a lot of the major airlines. And Southwest doesn't charge me for bags whether I check them or carry them on.
Yeah, I'm sure it's not built into the price of their tickets.

ronito

Man the future is really starting to suck.

It's sad that when I'm old I'm going to tell kids, "Back in my day you used to be to carry things on airplanes for free!"

And they wont believe me.

Dali, dude, this "price of tickets" argument is beyond stupid.

First off southwest tickets are really cheap already.
Second off, they like to say "Oh we took off $40 off our ticket prices!" Yeah, because airlines never raise ticket prices.

It's just another way to gouge the customer. And remember someone that cancels their flight because they throw at fit at $40 a carry on, is an empty seat on the plane.

Ceres

Banned
Dali said:

Southwest is pretty much on par with the prices Spirit charges and regularly has $49 a leg sales.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
thetrin said:
The circumstances depend. In cases where people are moving to Asia to become teachers, shipping TO their new home isn't an option. Mostly because the company you work for won't divulge your address until you get there.

But the Gaffer in question was taking "[his] entire life" with him, which is incredibly stupid.

When I moved out here I was well within my baggage limits and that included my 360 and PS3, movies, games, a ton of clothes, and a year's worth of shower gel and deodorant.

Holy shit EACH WAY? Hahah, they'll be losing business fast. I was fucking pissed when I went on a trip and they charged $25 per luggage bag..

Dali said:
Clueless people deserve to get blindsided. I'm sure there will be other flights. Their broke ass can wait for someone to bring them the money or they reconsider whether or not they should be traveling when it puts them in such financial straits.

wtf dude. i travel regularly across the country with my younger bro (and have since i was 11 or something) to visit my mom. I haven't paid for the tickets, and I have been one of those broke asses to which you're referring. I can tell you that once they started charging for checked baggage even it has caused us complications. Yes, to the point where we needed someone to drive to the airport and drop off money, barely making our flight by 5 minutes. To insert another variable in not knowing if we are going to have to pay for a carry on bag or not can cause big problems. And no, it's not that easy to get 40 bucks from someone who lives across the country to pay for the carry on. And depending on who is dropping you off at the airport, it's not that easy to get it from them either.

Yeah explain to a clueless 11-12 year old they can't take their bag on the plane cause mommy or daddy didn't know about the additional charge. Or the one parent simply refused (or didn't have the $) to pay for it.

Dali

LizardKing said:
wtf dude. i travel regularly across the country with my younger bro (and have since i was 11 or something) to visit my mom. I haven't paid for the tickets, and I have been one of those broke asses to which you're referring. I can tell you that once they started charging for checked baggage even it has caused us complications. Yes, to the point where we needed someone to drive to the airport and drop off money, barely making our flight by 5 minutes. To insert another variable in not knowing if we are going to have to pay for a carry on bag or not can cause big problems. And no, it's not that easy to get 40 bucks from someone who lives across the country to pay for the carry on. And depending on who is dropping you off at the airport, it's not that easy to get it from them either.

Yeah explain to a clueless 11-12 year old they can't take their bag on the plane cause mommy or daddy didn't know about the additional charge. Or the one parent simply refused (or didn't have the $) to pay for it.
Of course I wouldn't put that on the kid traveling. I'd put it on the clueless parent. They are the ones making their child suffer as a result of their carelessness. Notice how I am shouldering the parents with the blame and not the airline, because... well... it's their fault. At least that's the way it seems to me. Maybe I'm just a weirdo for thinking things won't always be the same forever and doing my due diligence is always appropriate.

ronito said:
Man the future is really starting to suck.

It's sad that when I'm old I'm going to tell kids, "Back in my day you used to be to carry things on airplanes for free!"

And they wont believe me.

Dali, dude, this "price of tickets" argument is beyond stupid.

First off southwest tickets are really cheap already.
Second off, they like to say "Oh we took off $40 off our ticket prices!" Yeah, because airlines never raise ticket prices.

It's just another way to gouge the customer. And remember someone that cancels their flight because they throw at fit at $40 a carry on, is an empty seat on the plane.

I'll concede that SW doesn't build a $25 bag fee into the price of their tickets, but it's there. And I wouldn't consider collecting a fee, from an industry that is struggling as a whole to maintain profitability, to be gouging.

dabig2

Yeah I'm just going to go ahead and say it - fuck anyone who justifies this corporatist bullshit. I've never flown on this airline and they ensured I never will.

Pimpwerx

How can anyone agree with this? WTF do you care about people overpacking? It's the airlines' fault in the first place for charging for checked bags. If they didn't do that, people would leave most of their shit in there, and it would be easier to enforce the carry-on limits. As it is right now, passengers are forced to overpack carryons, and the flight staff seem to go along with it. They fly too, and they know it's becoming robbery too. PEACE.

ronito

Dali said:
I'll concede that SW doesn't build a $25 bag fee into the price of their tickets, but it's there. And I wouldn't consider collecting a fee, from an industry that is struggling as a whole to maintain profitability, to be gouging.
again southwest says "howdy!"

37 consecutive years of posting profits.

It's not a "struggling industry" it's a horribly mismanaged industry.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Doytch said:
"Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza said having fewer carry-on bags will help empty the plane faster. He said the idea is to get customers to pay for individual things they want, while keeping the base fare low."

Yeah ok there bud.

And yes I saw they reduced "some" prices. No doubt they'll go up in the next few months because of oil prices or some excuse.
As though there's some correlation between the base fare and carry on bags.

Dali said:

It's only struggling because the government keeps bailing out failing airlines. They have almost no incentive to actually compete and become profitable. We could and should trim the weaker companies but the government doesn't want to deal with a little turnover.

Southwest started small and private and learned how to run an airline in an efficient way. They post profits all the time. And they don't charge for bags, and still have cheaper airfare than most airlines.

Brannon said:
More and more my insane idea begins to sound more plausible; An 'airline jacket' with many inner pockets of variable size that you can carry things in and wear at the same time. You can even carry a small laptop/tablet in one of the large front inner pockets. See-through mesh from the inside of course) for the security folks, and an inflatable, removable neck collar for a pillow.

It truly is the best idea ever. It may look wonky, but you have your stuff!
Scott e-Vest clothing.

Puddles

Banned
Dali said:

There's no way that the fee is justified by the extra fuel costs of flying a 15 pound bag. I'm no physicist, but I'm pretty sure that 15 extra pounds is not going to burn $45 worth of fuel.

Furthermore, fuck your attitude in the first paragraph. Sometimes people are making multiple flights in a short period of time (backpackers, anyone?) To say that these people deserve to get blindsided by fees that might not have been made clear to them is incredibly callous and disrespectful.

Dead Man

For real: http://www.news.com.au/business/bre...e-to-use-the-loo/story-e6frfkur-1225851090523

ONE of Europe's biggest discount airlines, Ryanair, will charge passengers to use on-board toilets.

The Irish airline is planning to make its toilets coin-operated, forcing passengers to fork out STG1 ($1.65) or E1 ($1.44) every time they want to spend a penny in the sky.

The extra charges, which come on top of separate fees for check-in baggage and snacks, will coincide with the reduction of some toilet facilities on Ryanair planes.

"By charging for the toilets we are hoping to change passenger behaviour so that they use the bathroom before or after the flight," Ryanair spokesman Stephen McNamara told the Daily Mail.

"That will enable us to remove two out of three of the toilets amd make way for at least six extra seats."

The news came as the carrier came under fire for hiking fees for check-in baggage by 33 per cent to STG20 ($33) per bag.

Rochelle Turner, head of research for British consumer magazine Which? Holiday, said Ryanair was penalising families going on holiday.

"Flying with Ryanair is not always as cheap as it first appears and we would advise passengers to factor in these extra costs when choosing who to fly with this summer," she said.

Race to the bottom, anyone?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36392217/ns/travel-news/

]U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer said Sunday he's trying to get the federal government to prohibit airlines from charging a fee for carry-on baggage, calling it a "slap in the face to travelers."

The New York Democrat is making a personal plea to the Treasury Department to rule that carry-on bags are a necessity for travel, which would make them exempt from a separate fee outside the ticket price.

"Airline passengers have always had the right to bring a carry-on bag without having to worry about getting nickeled and dimed by an airline company," Schumer said. "This latest fee is a slap in the face to travelers."

Schumer said carry-on bags often contain medications and other necessities, particularly for families. Carry-on fees artificially avoid higher ticket prices and the taxes applied to tickets, Schumer said.

The fee, however, is legal. The first airline to try it, Spirit Airlines, announced last week it would charge up to $45 for a carry-on, but that it was also reducing the cost of most tickets by $40.

Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza has said having fewer carry-on bags will help empty the plane faster, and the fee is intended to get customers to pay for individual things they want, while keeping the base fare low. Charging for checked bags but not carry-ons also means many passengers lug as much as they can onto planes.

There was no immediate comment Friday from the Treasury Department, which would handle the case because it's considered a tax issue.

Schumer wrote to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner seek to end what Schumer calls a loophole in law that allows the fees. Without action by Treasury, Schumer said he will introduce legislation.

This is just as bad. The Government has better things to worry about. People can still bring Carry On bags that fit under the seat which would more than cover medication people might need to carry. Charging $40 less for tickets and charging people who want to put stuff in overhead bin, that's the airlines choice. People don't like it, pick a different airline. Flying isn't a necessity of life, they should be able to run their business however they see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom