• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiritual Sequel To Hydro Thunder On The Way?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I thought they (the ex-midway talent) moved on, made Metal Arms and were acquired by Blizzard? I guess Blizz let them go..........
Yeah, like I said, there was some news about a new dev studio called Specular Interactive, where the splash page of their website trumpeted the fact that they were composed by ex-Midway developers who made Hydro Thunder. Maybe that's where they are now...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
New update from Arcade Heroes...

UPDATE #2: I asked Andrew Eloff at Raw Thrills’ about the throttle control on H2Overdrive and he has confirmed that the new games does indeed use the Hydro Throttle like what was used in the original game but it has been “upgraded to be more reliable PLUS with cool new features!”. He also tells us that “The whole cabinet is a radical departure from the original Hydro…This cabinet is brand new from the ground up.”

More reason to rejoice!

GOTY 2009 Confirmed! :D

Teddman

twinturbo2 said:
Yeah, like I said, there was some news about a new dev studio called Specular Interactive, where the splash page of their website trumpeted the fact that they were composed by ex-Midway developers who made Hydro Thunder. Maybe that's where they are now...
This is awesome... It really does seem like it's Swingin' Ape under a new name:
Specular Interactive website said:
Specular Interactive is an arcade game developer formed in early 2007 by Steve Ranck. Before Specular, Steve founded Swingin’ Ape Studios which was soon purchased by Blizzard Entertainment.

We love making games. The team here at Specular is an enthusiastic and creative group of talented developers with a rich history of game crafting. Our team has been responsible for the design and development of such hits as Hydro Thunder™ (arcade) and Metal Arms: Glitch in the System™, and has contributed to many other successful games like The Suffering™, Off Road Thunder™ (arcade), Zork: Nemesis™, and many others.
Here's hoping that a Metal Arms spiritual sequel is next!

KevinCow

Banned
Gah, I really hope they offer a higher and further camera angle. That kind of really low and close camera has absolutely ruined a number of otherwise enjoyable racing games for me, including the entire Burnout series.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Teddman said:
This is awesome... It really does seem like it's Swingin' Ape under a new name:Here's hoping that a Metal Arms spiritual sequel is next!
Oooh. Good find Teddman! Hopefully we'll see more than one game from Specular Interactive. I'm surprised (pleasantly) by the number of arcade racers this gen. Hopefully this will get ported to consoles.

camineet

Banned
2ytqryv.jpg

2qcifpe.jpg

t5hk3l.jpg

DO WANT!

Waluvil

Banned
They mention the best arcade racing game of all time, and then fail to actually say its name, San Fransisco Rush. Something doesn't compute here.

bridegur

The videos make it look quite a bit better, but the water physics seem to be about as tame as Hydro Thunder's, which is too bad. Still, I'd gladly buy this on PSN if it matches the level of fun that HT provided. I know I'll never see it in an arcade.

camineet

Banned
Waluvil said:
They mention the best arcade racing game of all time, and then fail to actually say its name, San Fransisco Rush. Something doesn't compute here.

The best arcade racing game of all time is Daytona USA, no question. It's the most successful, highest grossing/most profitable arcade game of all time. San Fransisco Rush (and its sequels) is a steaming pile of stinking dog shit in comparison, and Hydro Thunder while good, is not even in the same galaxy as Daytona USA.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I watched some of the videos... holy shit, even the announcer is the same.

Step aside, Killzone 2. Move along, Resident Evil 5. GTFO, Street Fighter IV. Leave the premises, Halo ODST. Sorry, (insert 2009 release here). Anihawk, cancel the GOTY thread for 2009, we have a winner, and it's not even February.

HTWOOOOOOOOOVERDRIVE! :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
camineet said:
The best arcade racing game of all time is Daytona USA, no question. It's the most successful, highest grossing/most profitable arcade game of all time. San Fransisco Rush (and its sequels) is a steaming pile of stinking dog shit in comparison, and Hydro Thunder while good, is not even in the same galaxy as Daytona USA.
Put a 2 after Daytona USA, and I'd agree with you. I do, however, disagree with you on the San Francisco Rush games. Rush the Rock and Rush 2049 were awesome back in the day.

camineet

Banned
Hopefully the Rush team, where ever they are, will do another San Fransisco Rush game since the last one sucked, a.) because it was developed for consoles instead of arcades and b.) took place in Los Angeles.

Midway canceled the last arcade sequel, called Hot Rod Rebels:

qp32if.jpg

a583yr.jpg

rrl66h.jpg

1e8add.jpg

29eht79.jpg

atsyzo.jpg

2ajba6h.jpg

10z370p.jpg

Notes from Scott : The unreleased sequel to San Francisco Rush 2049 and was cancelled before it was finished.

There are 8 tracks to choose from. Only three of the tracks are complete. Three other tracks are incomplete. You can race those tracks, but there are no textures so It's like Hard Drivin 2000! The last two tracks are unplayable and the music and sound effects are unfinished. The drone car logic is also not complete as they get lost while driving.

The cabinet is a standard 2049 cabinet with lots of modifications. There is a new Quad Stereo amp in the unit to power the new speakers in the tail pipes. Inside each tail pipe is a speaker and an LED light array. There are also real 'taillights' built into the base of the seat. The shifter ball is supposed to be a mini 8-Ball. The gas pedal is a throwback to the 70's pedals that were shaped like a 'cave man' foot. To the right of the monitor bezel is a light tree that signals when you should stomp on the gas. It only works at the beginning of the game. The monitor bezel and marquee bezel are black, instead of the 2049 blue. The seat looks like it is a new design, although it may be the same as Crusin Exotica.

The hardware is very different from the 2049 design. This game runs on a PC- a Pentium III 933mhz with a Geforce 2 card. It uses a special security board to keep the game from being bootlegged. The security board connects via the USB port. If the board is not present, the game will not boot. You cannot run this sofware in a 2049 cabinet.

This prototype gives you a good idea of what the sequel to 2049 might have been. The tracks are very cool, and the graphics are much improved. It's too bad Midway did not see this through to completion. This would have been an awesome chapter in the Rush series.

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=755&gid=3001#3001

I think I would've liked Hot Rod Rebels a lot more than Rush 2049. I much prefer modern-day SF over futuristic SF. Also the visuals that a GeForce2 can do are far superior to a 3DFX Voodoo3, the chip that powered Rush 2049, as well as superior to what the Dreamcast can do.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
camineet said:
Hopefully the Rush team, where ever they are, will do another San Fransisco Rush game since the last one sucked, a.) because it was developed for consoles instead of arcades and b.) took place in Los Angeles.

Last I heard, four of the main guys who worked on the arcade version of Rush 2049 are at Global VR, and worked on EA Sports NASCAR Racing.

And to anyone wondering about Metal Arms, Matt asked and got an answer.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8979320&publicUserId=5380373

Teddman

twinturbo2 said:
And to anyone wondering about Metal Arms, Matt asked and got an answer.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8979320&publicUserId=5380373
Nice find:
1up said:
Here's what he said in our interview:

1UP: Do you know who owns the Metal Arms IP now?

SR: Vivendi owned it. Well, we signed up with Sierra, and I think Vivendi owned it as part of that. And then when we were acquired, I believe Mike Morhaime had it transferred to Blizzard. I haven't heard since then, so it's either Blizzard, Activision, or Vivendi at this point. I've actually tried to acquire it, but to no avail.

1UP: So you would be interested in making a sequel?

SR: Oh absolutely, absolutely. Actually, Metal Arms -- I wrote it to be a trilogy. We only told a third of the story. I know exactly where Glitch came from. I know exactly why he had that symbol on his head. I know all these things I'm dying to tell people about, but I just haven't had the opportunity to do that yet.
If they can't get the rights soon enough (and I think they should try as hard as they can, an official sequel would rock), I think they should just move ahead with a similar game, the same way that the new Hydro Thunder isn't an official sequel but might as well be.

Call it "Iron Guns" or something. :lol

BTW Steve Ranck really is dying to tell people; he told me all about the backstory he was going to flesh out in the Metal Arms sequel during our interview at E3 2005 and it's awesome. :D

camineet said:

Really, it is? The most successful arcade game, ever? Have any proof of that? Even if it is true though, it doesn't mean anything. For instance, Cruis'n USA is an incredibly successful game -- one of the best-selling arcade racing games ever, the originator of probably the most successful arcade racing franchise in the US (between Cruis'n and its Fast and the Furious followup series), the N64 version of Cruis'n USA sold millions and World and Exotica sold well also, etc... but does that make it Midway's best game or something? Of course not! Gameplay is what matters, not sales. While I do find Cruis'n mindless fun, the Rush games are definitely Midway's best racing games. :)

The point is, "best selling" isn't a good argument. Gameplay is what matters... and while Daytona USA is fun, sure, for me at least it's nowhere near as good as any of the good Rush games, whether you mean the arcade versions (Rush, Rush the Rock, Rush 2049) or the home ones (N64 SF Rush, N64 Rush 2, N64 and DC Rush 2049). Daytona's good... but compared to Rush? It has no jumps, normal gravity, no shortcuts, a driving model I don't like quite as much... SF Rush is a very hard game, but it's just incredible, from the flying jumps and shortcuts to the great driving model and force-feedback wheel that adds a whole new level of immersion and challenge to the game. Rush the Rock, with seven tracks to choose from instead of three, is even better.

I had a chance to play the arcade machine several times last fall, I'd forgotten how brilliant the arcade version is. Sure, it's amazingly fun on N64 and in MAT3, but it's not quite the same as the arcade version... it's also even more difficult in the arcade than at home, which is impressive considering how hard I find the home Rush 1. The wheel is harder to use than an analog stick, particularly with that strong force feedback... awesome, though. :) I only managed to finish some of the easiest tracks, and failed to finish repeatedly on the more difficult ones, despite being able to at least finish all of the tracks on the N64... but whichever version of it I play and despite how hard I find it, the more I play it the more I love it. I used to say Rush 2049 N64/DC was clearly the best racing game ever... but more recently I've had to qualify that, thinking that Rush the Rock/Rush 1 N64 is very nearly as great.

In short:

is a steaming pile of stinking dog shit in comparison

Take that back. :)

Oh, as for Daytona vs. Hydro Thunder, I really don't know... that's tough. Both are very good arcade racing games, but I haven't played arcade Daytona in quite a while, while I did play arcade Hydro Thunder relatively recently, so I don't know if I could do a fair comparison of the arcade releases... but given that I do love futuristic games, I'd likely give the edge to Hydro Thunder. The whole game, from setting to themes to design to the sheer fun factor of blasting through the stages and looking at the environments, is just so thrilling... Daytona's good, but can't quite match that. Plus I'm not very good at Daytona, the only track I can finish well on is the first one. Anything beyond that... not good at all. Generally, the less you need to use the brake button in a racing game the better, usually, in my opinion. Many of my favorite racing games are ones where you never need the brakes... just a little 'letting go of the accelerator for a while' is all that should be needed. :)

... That's not to say Hydro Thunder isn't hard though, it is, quite difficult in fact. It took a lot of playtime to get good at the tracks in that game... I don't know if I've ever put that kind of time into Daytona. Maybe I should, but stock-car racing isn't exactly the same thrill for me that futuristic boat (or hovercar or whatever) racing is... also, the handling in DC Daytona is really frustrating, with how the cars turn. Are there settings to make it less jumpy?

I think I would've liked Hot Rod Rebels a lot more than Rush 2049. I much prefer modern-day SF over futuristic SF. Also the visuals that a GeForce2 can do are far superior to a 3DFX Voodoo3, the chip that powered Rush 2049, as well as superior to what the Dreamcast can do.

Was the Rush team actually doing that? Because there was another game also in development at Midway Games West in their last days of arcade development, San Francisco Rush 2049: Tournament Edition (TE). It was nearly finished and was in location testing at the end, when Midway canceled all arcade game development. It was Rush 2049 with several new tracks and cars and online play between various locations.

Several years later another company somehow got the rights to it and released San Francisco Rush 2049: Special Edition (SE), a version of the Tournament Edition without online play, and with all the tracks and cars unlocked by default instead of having to unlock some in online play. It's not easy to find, though, and like with the TE and the arcade original, cannot be played on any home platform, tragically. If I could have a port of one Midway racing game that we didn't get, that would be it, no question about it! I really, really want to play that game... :(

So yeah, again my opinion is the opposite, I definitely prefer the futuristic games to the modern-day ones. The more realistic the game, the less interested in it I am, a lot of the time... there are some exceptions, but that is true for many kinds of games. Futuristic cars with jets, futuristic cityscapes, and, on the console versions, wings (an addition that made a good game, arcade Rush 2049, truly exceptional; it's a big part of why home Rush 2049 is my favorite racing game of all time actually, along with the stunt and battle modes...). Oh, the original Rush and Rush 2 are great, great games, and I like their settings just fine... but the futuristic setting of Rush 2049 is one more little edge that pushes it above its predecessors. :)

(Oh yeah, and I really wish Sega had done a home port of Motor Raid... that game is so much better than Manx TT, a game I never liked much, even in the arcades!)

Oneself said:
holyshit. I just watched the videos and I think I'm gonna have a heart attack. It's so Hydro Thunder 2. OMG.

It's simply amazing that this game actually is happening... because you're absolutely right, the videos are clear, and incredible. This is Hydro Thunder 2, and it looks every bit as good as the first one.

... You know, if Midway publishes the console port(s) (this game needs console ports!!), they could call it Hydro Thunder 2 if they wanted... like how The Fast & The Furious became Cruis'n when Midway ported it to the Wii. That would be great. :)

But yeah, pretty amazing stuff. The game just looks so, so good... oh, and stunts while in the air is a nice addition.

ram

Teddman said:
This is awesome... It really does seem like it's Swingin' Ape under a new name:Here's hoping that a Metal Arms spiritual sequel is next!

metal arms =/= arcade game

the world needs more arcade-racers and not some crap-looking ratchet & Clank rip-off!

on topic: game looks good (at least ebtter than the raw thrills crap), hopefully my local arcade will have the game.

camineet

Banned
BTW the arcade Hydro Thunder, 1999, used the PC-based Quick Silver II hardware with an Intel Celeron 333/366 MHz CPU, 3DFX / Quantum3D AArdvark Banshee and 64 MB total RAM.

KevinCow

Banned
ram said:

the world needs more arcade-racers and not some crap-looking ratchet & Clank rip-off!

on topic: game looks good (at least ebtter than the raw thrills crap), hopefully my local arcade will have the game.
Metal Arms is a far better game than Ratchet & Clank could ever hope to be.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
holy fuck at people quoting the whole pics' post.

edit: also PS360pc FFB Wheel and Wii with M+ WiiSports Resorts-like controls

camineet

Banned
My hope is, Sega will bring out Daytona USA 3 "out of nowhere" just like how this update to Hydro Thunder appeared without warning.

GrayFoxPL

KevinCow said:
Metal Arms is a far better game than Ratchet & Clank could ever hope to be.

Actually MA was an overrated game with lots of issues like framerate, horribly calibrated aiming and some bad design choices like setting a whole fucking episode in a junkyard where everything I do mean everything in the environment was rusty brown. And you had to watch it for hours and hours as the sadistic designer made it hella long on purpose.

This being niche game doesn't mean it was a really good game. It had good parts, like the whole ending and boss, but overall it wasn't as good as people wearing rose-tinted glasses would make you believe. :p

Teddman

Listen: R&C series has some very fine qualities, a nice mix of platforming and shooting, but as a pure third-person shooter Metal Arms is on another level. There's not much of a comparison in terms of intensity and shooter level design.

The part you mentioned in the junkyard was actually one of the highlights of the game, as the torture of blasting your way through the junkbots in one stage was followed by the absolute glee of using a huge robot to obliterate them in the next level.

The aiming and framerate were fine in the Xbox (definitive) version, as well as the GameCube release. The PS2 port was done by another team, not Swingin' Ape themselves.

adamma666

ram said:

maybe you should play it on Xbox, not on Playstation 2. but i guess hell would freeze over, before you touch anything on Xbox.

Zihark

If they don't bring it to a console/pc I'm probably never play it. Wish there was more devs making stuff like this though.

Orobi

Spirital sequel to Hydro Thunder will be the third episode of Motorstorm. Motorstorm Tsunami, featuring acquatic next gen vehicles and tracks! :D

camineet

Banned
As much as it'll be disappointing, I have a feeling H2Overdrive will get passed over / overlooked, as far as getting onto an HD console.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
camineet said:
As much as it'll be disappointing, I have a feeling H2Overdrive will get passed over / overlooked, as far as getting onto an HD console.
Yeah you have a point, but in this case all that needs to be done is a port. The game is already made so there shouldn't be that much investment needed. You would think Midway would be all over this. They are a perfect fit.

camineet

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
Yeah you have a point, but in this case all that needs to be done is a port. The game is already made so there shouldn't be that much investment needed. You would think Midway would be all over this. They are a perfect fit.

I hope you're right!

Top Bottom