• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New tweets:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/574866690913083393

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/574867039552036864

Haha, they improved the death animations and sounds. It's hilarious and sad at the same time. Almost pikminesque.

My translations:
This weapon is called the 'Splaroller'.
Since its main feature is painting while moving forward, it's easy to think of it as a close-range-only weapon, but by flicking it, you can hit enemies at a mid distance.
Learning to balance painting and flicking is crucial for this weapon.

We have obtained footage of the Splaroller in action.
Watching this should give you a good impression of what it's like to move around while using this weapon. http://youtu.be/CajycB26syI

TheMoon

9xBHlra.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I made a thread for the weapons to share it to people here. I hope they add more weapon vids and pics.

DaBoss

The Roller looks pretty overpowered. Or does the other weapon kill easier? (or quick kills, kinda like in Call of Duty).
It doesn't have much range and you can't fire the ranged attack rapidly.

Look at how fast direct fire splatters the Inkling in this video with both guns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulcdb67FQVo

I doubt that in a real match scenario that the Inklings would be splattered that fast considering one wouldn't really be standing still.

test_account

XP-39C²
It doesn't have much range and you can't fire the ranged attack rapidly.

Look at how fast direct fire splatters the Inkling in this video with both guns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulcdb67FQVo

I doubt that in a real match scenario that the Inklings would be splattered that fast considering one wouldn't really be standing still.
It looks like the range is actually fairly similar between those weapons, in my opinion. But maybe it is because the roller is being shot down hill.

True about the speed, but the spread looks bigger with the roller (easier to get a hit?).

TheMoon

It looks like the range is actually fairly similar between those weapons, in my opinion. But maybe it is because the roller is being shot down hill.

True about the speed, but the spread looks bigger with the roller (easier to get a hit?).

It reminds me of the FLAK Cannon from Unreal Tournament, honestly. It's different in that it shoots splash damage instead of creating splash damage on impact but the firing speed called up that memory, I think.

thefro

The other thing to keep in mind is you're going to be losing a lot of mobility with the roller. And if someone gets above you you're pretty much a sitting duck.

I stand by my prediction that the Mario and Luigi amiibo unlock ink-shooting variations of FLUDD and Poltergust.
Man that would be fun. Although if Amiibos unlock weapons I would like for them to basically just be reskins of existing ones - though I definitely wouldn't be opposed to the game having some kind of "ink pump" that FLUDD and the Poltergust could riff on.

I really do hope they do Amiibo stuff here. I would love to see some snazzy, Splatoon-style clothes or weapons based on other Nintendo stuff. A Splatoon-redesigned Gust Bellows for the Link Amiibo, a lightning-themed set of clothes for the Pikachu...

cloudyboy

Neo Member
The other thing to keep in mind is you're going to be losing a lot of mobility with the roller. And if someone gets above you you're pretty much a sitting duck.

talking about mobility, i wonder if it will be even possible to walk in narrow passages (if there are such narrow passages) with the roller? if so game plan will be very very different between weapons

I wonder if we'll see a TF2 sentry type weapon that's like a little building that can be deployed somewhere and automatically cover enemy paint within a certain radius until it gets destroyed or runs out of paint.

TheMoon

I wonder if we'll see a TF2 sentry type weapon that's like a little building that can be deployed somewhere and automatically cover enemy paint within a certain radius until it gets destroyed or runs out of paint.

I might be imagining things but I feel like we've seen something like that already.

moolamb

talking about mobility, i wonder if it will be even possible to walk in narrow passages (if there are such narrow passages) with the roller? if so game plan will be very very different between weapons

I think the brush would just clip through walls. It sort of clips in the GIF above. Besides I doubt there would be narrow passages, not part of the design. And you could just squid out :p

I might be imagining things but I feel like we've seen something like that already.

Yep there was a paint sprinkler.

mclem

It reminds me of the FLAK Cannon from Unreal Tournament, honestly. It's different in that it shoots splash damage instead of creating splash damage on impact but the firing speed called up that memory, I think.

This is a game where 'splash damage' has a rather more literal meaning!

L~A

Nobody's posted today's image yet? :eek:

コイツの名前は「タコトルーパー」。 タコ軍団「オクタリアン」の中でも、最も一般的な戦闘員のようだ。 ホバークラフトで見回りをしているもの、固定式の足場で見張りをしているものなど、様々な形で配備されているらしい。

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/575595996895318017

Kudo

Translation attempt for interested
These guys are called "Octroopers". They seem to be the most common soldiers in the octopus army "Octarian". They patrol Hovercrafts, guard static-type enemies footing and seem to be deployed in many other ways.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
that printed in store AD is just a coincidence, but the amiibo banner right in the middle between Splatoon and Mario Party 10, the only other game outside Smash having a dedicated amiibo line, make me suspicious

Kudo

That's a Google Translate translation ;)

Which is all we have until StreetsAhead pops up and does his magic.

Didn't use Google TL, I did my best and it should be at least near the original meaning, but I do agree StreetsAhead should provide better one.

L~A

Didn't use Google TL, I did my best and it should be at least near the original meaning, but I do agree StreetsAhead should provide better one.

Well in that case, Google Translate provided a better translation than usual, ha ha.

Only the last bit (about the static guards) doesn't make much sense, the rest was as you wrote it.

Jintor

コイツの名前は「タコトルーパー」。 タコ軍団「オクタリアン」の中でも、最も一般的な戦闘員のようだ。 ホバークラフトで見回りをしているもの、固定式の足場で見張りをしているものなど、様々な形で配備されているらしい。

These guys are called "Octotroopers". Looks like they're the most common soldiers of the Octarian army corp. They patrol in their hovercrafts, guard locations while on foot etc, and seem to get deployed in a variety of formations.

Kudo

These guys are called "Octotroopers". Looks like they're the most common soldiers of the Octarian army corp. They patrol in their hovercrafts, guard locations while on foot etc, and seem to get deployed in a variety of formations.

Lot better than mine, thanks!

固定式の足場で見張りをしているものなど
Isn't this though "They're also on the guard around static-type enemies footing etc."?

Jintor

Lot better than mine, thanks!

Isn't this though "They're also on the guard around static-type enemies footing etc."?

固定式の足場で = [in the context of] fixed locations's footholds,

見張りをしている = [in the state of] doing /guard

もの = thing

など = etc

It's just a more natural translation really. I'm making a guess at what exactly "fixed location's footholds" means, but in the overall context I'm guessing at either "guarding locations while on foot" or "guarding important footholds (into enemy territory)" or something like that.

Waiting for Streets tho :p

/edit now that I look at it again I'm not sure if gramatically that's 'もの’ as in thing or ’も の' as in "also [normalises verb phrase into a noun'". Fucking particles.

TheMoon

May 28 JP
May 29 NA/EU
May 30 AU

get hype.

not official but based on that South African retail leak the other day which was sorta legitimized by NOE confirming Kirby's date plus common sense.

expecting them to confirm this within a week (ND hype).

Kudo

I had these guys in my mind as the "static-type"/"fixed location" enemies
But I really don't have any confidence in my tl given how shockingly similar it is to the Google.

Hopefully Nintendo decides to make Splatoon bundle with some colourful design, want to buy Wii U for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom