• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had known it'd help me understand Splatoon updates, I would've studied harder when I took Japanese in college :-\

What you SHOULD have taken is college is a course in Inklingese, those Splatoon manga and propaganda posters aren't going to translate themselves!

Hoping the gal who broke the code for the Skyward Sword text gets to work on this

Zero²

If I had known it'd help me understand Splatoon updates, I would've studied harder when I took Japanese in college :-\
I'll start taking Japanese classes myself next year, it would be this year if they werent so expensive around here... :(

prag16

Banned
Uh huh. Come at me bro on Splatoon. We'll see what "ideal circumstances" look like after I keep toppin' them leaderboards. heheheh

Even if gyro actually were better for ppl (not for me), I'm great at overcoming handicaps. Back in my RTCW days, they used to call me the 56k avenger because I'd always top the leaderboards even though I was on dial-up. I'd out snipe the fucking map on 56k lol. Irl I type 130wpm, even though I peck the keyboard with two fingers.

So, it's cool man. Save it for the ink stadiums >:D

Crappier internet doesn't always automatically mean a disadvantage in games like this. And I'm assuming the 130wpm with two fingers comment isn't serious.

Amir0x

Banned
Crappier internet doesn't always automatically mean a disadvantage in games like this. And I'm assuming the 130wpm with two fingers comment isn't serious.

oh no, it's quite serious. I type 130wpm with two fingers. My typing teacher in school used to hate me because they always tried to get me to do the official typing stance and I refused and still typed faster and more accurately than anyone else in class including her haha.

Also, of course dial-up vs. broadband matters. It's a huge difference and one has to compensate massively in your aim for the lag. Trust me, I know. I had it down to a science how much of a lag gap I required :p

Anyway, it's a playful comment, but I'm just sayin': even if gyro works better for some people, bring it on. Ya'll bout to be inked >:D

Crayolan got it pretty much right.

Report from the Squid Research Lab. The color of the ink used in Turf Battles changes with each battle. It's very colorful. It is known that Inklings can change their body color, but there are also ones who can change the ink that they shot?!

They use an intransitive verb for change so I don't know if you'll be able to change the ink colors yourself. They use a transitive verb on the squids changing color so it makes me think of the protagonist, whose ink color is shown to change around in the story mode.

Fiktion

Banned
Crayolan got it pretty much right.

They use an intransitive verb for change so I don't know if you'll be able to change the ink colors yourself. They use a transitive verb on the squids changing color so it makes me think of the protagonist, whose ink color is shown to change around in the story mode.

Added to OP, and spruced up the first post in general.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
inMCgLCOtcdkH.gif

watershed

Banned
These updates are great. Nintendo is smart to try to create as much exposure to this game as possible and clear up the little details at the same time. I hope they do more of this in the future. We need more Smash-like POTDs.

I believe they mentioned they're thinking about a 1v1 mode that's different from Turf Battle.

It has been 5 months since the E3 announcement of this game. There is at least 6 more months till the game launches. I have a feelin that this game is going to have plenty of multiplayer modes.

TheMoon

I totally understand how the gyro is subtle and allows for superior reaction time and accuracy when mastered -- that's irrefutable fact -- but I do wonder how well I'll take to it, since for me it's more natural to tilt something "wand-like" than something "pad-like," as is the case with the GamePad.

To be clear, I know gyro is different from IR aiming -- there's no need to actually point at the screen -- but still, the simple act of tilting a bit up and a bit down seems more intuitive with something wand-like vs. something pad-like.

I'll definitely give gyro a good try before settling for anything else. Either way, I'm stoked for this game. :)

Just practice with WWHD's boomerang and stuff.

hmm....Splatoon wasn't in my radar but some of these screenshots has me interested. I shall keep an eye on this one.

Wait, you've seen the amazing trailers but some screenshots are getting you interested in this?!?!?

Isn't the middle one (blue/red) kinda problematic with a considerably popular type of color blindness ?

I presume that's why the various color options exist.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The mechanics look really interesting but the characters/setting/art leaves much to be desired (at least to me). Part of me wishes Nintendo would just turn this into another Mario spin-off series but I know they shouldn't do that. They need more new IPs like this one. I just don't like the look of it. :(

Mory Dunz

The mechanics look really interesting but the characters/setting/art leaves much to be desired (at least to me). Part of me wishes Nintendo would just turn this into another Mario spin-off series but I know they shouldn't do that. They need more new IPs like this one. I just don't like the look of it. :(

Baron Aloha
A Shining Example
(Today, 05:59 AM)

Sorry, had to do it.

Luigiv

Isn't the middle one (blue/red) kinda problematic with a considerably popular type of color blindness ?

Colour blindness can be popular?

Your choice of words aside, the most common type of colour blindness is Red-Green. From what I can tell from a quick google, cyan-pink shouldn't be an issue for people with it and be even less of an issue for those with blue-yellow blindness. But I'm no expert so feel free to peer review my "research".

Here's some reference charts to go by. As far as I can tell, to someone with either form of red-green, cyan should look white and pink should look a yellowish brown/yellowish green. for someone with blue-yellow they should be able to see that combination with no issues at all.

Red-Green (two types)
kXMIVW9.jpg

B7Ow3Il.jpg

Blue-Yellow
so6yk6h.jpg

Edit: Actually scratch all that, just downloaded this and yes pink vs cyan looks like it's going to be a huge issue for those with red-green, especially the first type I showed, which is the most common. Everything just looks grey. Maybe EAD should rethink the inclusion of that colour combo.

Well, unfortunately, not everything can please everybody. Different strokes for different people, after all.

Three more tweets:
1:
イカ研究所からの調査報告だ。 謎のインタビュー映像が発見された。彼らもイカの研究者なのだろうか……。 ん?開発者?新しいイカ料理のレシピでも開発しているのか?真実は自分の目で確かめてほしい。
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F05Kp1_-_vQ
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/532765462212272128

2:
調査員から1枚の写真が送られてきた。 こんな自然に囲まれた場所も、ナワバリバトルの舞台となっているようだ。それにしても、彼らにはバトルしか楽しみがないのか?キャンプファイヤーとかバーベキューとか、他にもやることあるだろうに……。
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/533076603874471938

3:
イカ研究所からの調査報告だ。 彼らは地面に塗られたインクの中を、イカの姿になって泳ぐ能力を持っている。インクの中ではヒトの姿で走る倍以上のスピードで移動ができるという。逆に動かなければ、相手から身を隠すこともできるようだ。
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/533088082124238848

Penguin

I assume this is about vertical traversal

B2YIPwQCAAAaC6k.jpg

調査の続報だ。
彼らはイカの姿であれば、カベを登ることもできる。カベを塗ることはナワバリバトルの勝敗に関係ないので、塗られたカベがあれば、そこを誰かが登ったということかもしれない。想像力を働かせることもバトルでは重要だ。

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/533122676789768192

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
More tweets:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/533160343166406656

イカ研究所からの調査報告だ。
ロケットのようにジャンプするイカが発見された。マップに映る仲間のアイコンをタッチすると、文字通り「飛んでいく」ことができるという。しかし、飛んでいった先はバトルの最前線。イカには無鉄砲なヤツが多いようだ。

B2YqgXNCUAEAdlA.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/533182220672839680

イカ研究所からの調査報告だ。
自分の色のインクの中は自由自在に動ける彼らだが、対戦相手の色のインクの上では足をとられて動きが鈍くなり、イカになることもできない。
イカんともしがたいとは、まさにこのことだ。

B2Y-ZuzCEAAHcj3.jpg:large

As far as I understand from Google translate, all the tweets today are just explaining the game mechanics.

Nosgoroth

Trying my hand at this.

Follow-up report from the investigation team. While in squid form, Inklings can climb walls. Walls don't count toward the result of Turf Battles, so a painted wall might mean that someone climbed up it. It's important in battles to make use of the opponent's imagination.

Investigation report from the Squid Research Lab. We got witness reports of Inklings that could jump like rockets. When they touched the icon of a team member on the map, they apparently "flew to their aid", quite literally. However, they went straight to the frontlines! Apparently Inklings are a reckless bunch.

Investigation report from the Squid Research Lab. While the Inklings can move freely while inside their own ink, when in enemy ink they move slower and can't become a squid. They're as helpless as a baby squid.

Oh god, ika puns.

Coolwhip

Banned
Looks really cool.

I hope the KIDDZZZ will notice this game and stop playing shitty F2P mobile games and CoD for a few hours.

It's looking increasingly like Splatoon will be joining my Pre-order list. Funnily enough the only games on it are from Nintendo but there is a slight joker in that i have Devil's Third pre-ordered and that could be risky.

Nosgoroth

Awesome, thanks! Any chance you could do these as well?

OK!

Investigation report from the Squid Research Lab. Some mysterious interview footage was unearthed. Are they Inkling researchers too? Eh? Developers? Do they develop things like new squid recipes? Find out the truth with your own eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F05Kp1_-_vQ

(Twitter)

B2XeWDQCAAASOK1.jpg:large

We got a photo back from one of our researchers. Even this place surrounded by nature can become a battleground for a Turf Battle. Anyway, do the Inklings have nothing else to do but fight? Campfires? Barbecues? There must be something else they can enjoy...

(Twitter)

B2XoyJ_CEAA-AH3.jpg:large

Investigation report from the Squid Research Lab. Inklings have the ability to swim inside ink splattered on the ground as squids. Apparently they can move faster than their human forms when swimming in ink. Additionally, if they don't move, they can hide from enemies.

(Twitter)

And the newest one:

We've received some comments on our previous report of the mysterious rocket-like jump, saying "No way, squids can't fly like that!". It's not widely known, but apparently squids can indeed fly. Seriously. If you don't believe us, do search for "squid fly".

(Twitter)

Sorry if the english sounds weird in places, I'm not a native speaker (of either english or japanese)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom