• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon has surpassed 1 million sales world wide

The Boat

Not surprising results to a parent of a 8-year-old boy. He has been playing this game every day since it came out. When we make him stop playing he builds Splatoon characters and weapons out of legos and continues the game there. We had a scout event a couple weeks ago and every single boy there would not shut up about the game. They're all playing it all the time.

And of course when my son goes to bed a log in and play a few online matches myself. ;)

That's super cute.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I haven't bought an amiibo

I don't feel like that content is meaningful in any way. it's neat as a bonus but they basically give you the same stuff the game already has and dress it up differently.

the only cool thing the amiibo offer imo is the different mini-games for waiting lobbies

I wouldn't let the amiibo content deter you from picking the game up

I'm an ocd comoletionist tho. :(

Glass Joe

It's funny reading some comments in this thread about Splatoon becoming the next Smash and Mario Kart.

From Reggie before release:

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-splatoon-is-aiming-to-do-for-action-shooters-what-mario-kart-did-to-racing--289193.phtml

LOL that's Reggie though. It's his job to say shit like that. I don't think Splatoon will have the impact that, say, Goldeneye had for N64, but if it shares some of that effect, it would be well deserved. And who knows, maybe there are some out there that were waiting for that one more good exclusive game to finally make them cave. Many 3DS owners are probably interested but can fill some of the void of not having a U with Kart 7, 3D Land, and Smash.

KingBroly

Banned
LOL that's Reggie though. It's his job to say shit like that. I don't think Splatoon will have the impact that, say, Goldeneye had for N64, but if it shares some of that effect, it would be well deserved. And who knows, maybe there are some out there that were waiting for that one more good exclusive game to finally make them cave. Many 3DS owners are probably interested but can fill some of the void of not having a U with Kart 7, 3D Land, and Smash.

I think some Treehouse people said that during E3 last year as well. I think Splatoon has a lot more depth than Mario Kart, though.

JCX

I've said it before, this game (and franchise) could end up being Nintendo's next Mario Kart/SSB. Really glad that it's selling well.

I just wish it wasn't so damned addictive lol

I always tell myself that I'll spend a few hours on the weekend playing a big RPG, but I usually end up rotating between Smash, Kart, and Splatoon.

I do see my share of Japanese players, so I understand your conclusion. But that may also be due to the time of day (night, rather) that I tend to play. In reality I expect it to have a strong June here, as well as a higher % of eShop sales than normal (due to its online nature and small download size). It's already #13 all time in the US eshop for U software. It's done 1,000,000 WW and 650k of that is from outside of Japan. Wasn't May NPD 150k for Splatoon? It's probably done that and more this month. For a new IP, it's doing well and word of mouth will help it, as well as their method of keeping the game "fresh" via rolled out updates of maps & weapons.
I just expected more of an American buy in. I figured with as big as “shoot guns” games are here, combined with NoA’s marketing push it would do a lot more. I really hope the game has lasting legs and goes well beyond 1mil. As much as I hate the artificial content trickle, if it helps kids maintain excitement for that “free DLC” and therefore helps the game sell more then good.
The two map rotation is getting kind of old, I agree. They obviously have it set up for 3 slots. I guess they're just waiting for more maps.
The optimal thing for myself would just remove it outright. I like the idea of only a handful of maps, but hate being locked into just two for my entire evening.
Using Pro Controller would put you at a pretty big disadvantage.
I completely disagree about being at a “big disadvantage”, but give us the option. Heck, worst case if they don't want to patch an on screen map work around: let us use the Pro Controller with the gamepad sitting on the coffee table.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I want to buy it but without the amiibos I feel I can't buy the full product.

I would buy the amiibos but they can't be bought first hand.

I have all three amiibo, but I haven't bother with the amiibo challenges except for first 6 or so for the squid. I finished the SP campaign and I'm too much addicted to the online play to care about the other challenges.

Leatherface

I just bought a second Wii U specifically so I can play Splatoon's online multiplayer with my GF. THAT is how much we like this game. I've never even considered doing something like this ever in my life.. we'll except for Fzero GX lan mode back in the day but it never came to be. :'(

Pinky

Banned
Not surprising results to a parent of a 8-year-old boy. He has been playing this game every day since it came out. When we make him stop playing he builds Splatoon characters and weapons out of legos and continues the game there. We had a scout event a couple weeks ago and every single boy there would not shut up about the game. They're all playing it all the time.

And of course when my son goes to bed a log in and play a few online matches myself. ;)

This is awesome!

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Congrats but 1m is that a lot?

10% of Wii U install base in a month with a new IP? Yeh, it's pretty awesome all things considered.

It'll be enough to justify making it one of their new big IPs. Few titles outside Mario/Zelda/Kart/Smash have sold that much on Wii U. (Actually, none. It's the first IP to do 1M outside of those listed + Wii Party U and Nintendoland). And it did that in only 25 days.

Hyrule Warriors did it as well, unless you consider that a part of Zelda.

Leonel

Neo Member
Awesome news, hopeful that this gets Nintendo to embrace online components for future games.

How's the online community holding up, by the way? I wanted to hold off on getting the game because I wanted to see if the player base would drop.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought a second Wii U specifically so I can play Splatoon's online multiplayer with my GF. THAT is how much we like this game. I've never even considered doing something like this ever in my life.. we'll except for Fzero GX lan mode back in the day but it never came to be. :'(

Ha, I've considering doing the same thing.

Maybe if/when the console gets that holiday price drop.

Leatherface

Ha, I've considering doing the same thing.

Maybe if/when the console gets that holiday price drop.

I just nabbed mine from the buy/sell/trade thread in the gaming community forum. 32g model with extra pro controller, wimote/nunchuck and like 3 games. $200! :D

I <3 GAF

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I wish they had done the same with Donkey Kong, Captain Toad, Pikmin etc.

Toad sold REALLY well for what it was btw. Toad had the 3rd or 4th highest opening for Wii U game in the US (Mario Party 10 beat that by a bit, but that should give you an idea).

DKC has probably crossed a million or really close to it. However, I doubt Nintendo cares to advertise how a sequel to the game that sold 5M barely sold 1M this time (even less than the port of DKCR to 3DS).

But will it also sell consoles?

9200000042938772.jpg

In Japan, it seems to be doing the trick at least.

Wii U hardware Mario Kart 8 vs. Splatoon (in JP)
2014 (Mario Kart 8)
Week 22 - 19.312 (Mario Kart 8's launch)
Week 23 - 13.766
Week 24 - 12.249
Week 25 - 10.715

2015 (Splatoon)
Week 22 - 17.713 (Splatoon's launch)
Week 23 - 21.169
Week 24 - 16.413
Week 25 - 14.616

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Splatoon's success makes Nintendo's E3 even more baffling. It was the perfect time to announce a price cut, along with a couple of new 2016 games.

Of course, what do I know.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Fun story! Do they all have Wii Us too then?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

Yeah, the game is incredibly popular among the younger age group that people always claim are turned off by Nintendo's games. My roommate teaches game design to kids and on the first day of class, he asked what everyone's favorite game was, and half the kids said Splatoon. This game is charming the pants off everyone, and I'm sure Nintendo couldn't be happier.

lupinko

I was at yodobashi last night at saw a dude pick up a MK8 White Bundle, a pro controller and Splatoon.

I don't usually ever see locals buy WiiU on my trips.

Fitts

Pass the crow because I was wrong. I didn't think Splatoon would sell as well as it has been.

Congrats to Nintendo! I hope this is the first of many original IPs they have success with over the course of this and the next console generation.

Hopefully this motivates Nintendo to actually create some new ips for their next system instead of the same old tired Mario/Zelda/smash bros/Mario kart song and dance they have been doing since n64

I hope starfox is successful as well so they also branch off and use their other ips for a change as well.

Top Bottom