• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon has surpassed 1 million sales world wide

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Stop comparing W101 with Splatoon. While I love W101, it's rather an old school game in all the good and bad ways. It throws you in the game without giving you important info, you have to buy two very important moves, it's challenging and takes some time to get used to the gameplay mechanics and controls. Also its art style is not a very friendly one for today's players. It's a combination of saturday morning cartoons and superhero comics that rather appeal to nostalgia.

For these reasons it couldn't be a popular game even if you throw at it all the marketing money in the world.

The next Splatoon OT should be titled: Eating crow now drinking piss now. Eating crow drinking piss eating crow drinking piss eating crow now.

PooBone

Not exactly the runaway success a lot of people predicted. Still, for a new IP it's performing well and could be a game with a long tail. I, for one, haven't tried it yet but fully intend to. The fact that the Wii U's calendar of releases is as empty as it is will probably help lifetime sales for Splatoon too.

PooBone

2016 games of any note are heading to the NX, and Nintendo gave up any notions of Wii U selling decent amounts years ago, sales or no. Why would they want to cut down what little money they're getting for Wii U sales for minimal gain?

This sounds like conjecture to me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not exactly the runaway success a lot of people predicted. Still, for a new IP it's performing well and could be a game with a long tail. I, for one, haven't tried it yet but fully intend to. The fact that the Wii U's calendar of releases is as empty as it is will probably help lifetime sales for Splatoon too.

What's a runaway success for you in terms of 1st party games?

And I guess you're from US, but the rest of the world still exists and will get a Yoshi game very, very soon.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

For a new IP on the Wii U, I'd argue it's a smashing success.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
If only I could buy the damn Amiibos... or give Nintendo my money for the DLC it unlocks.

WHY DOESN'T NINTENDO WANT MY MONEY?

Slacker

Fun story! Do they all have Wii Us too then?

Yeah I think most do. At that age, they all know about the popular games even if they're not playing them (my son already knew everything about Minecraft before he played the first time), so they all talk about them together.

phanphare

Banned

link to these predictions? because I'm fairly certain they don't exist. the most optimistic predictions I saw were passing 1 million by the end of the year, and those got mocked lol

link to these predictions? because I'm fairly certain they don't exist. the most optimistic predictions I saw were passing 1 million by the end of the year, and those got mocked lol

Yeah. With the exception of a few people (including myself) in the Splatoon Art thread and Splatoon Twitter thread , most people seemingly thought the game was either going to sell poorly, or it was going to outright bomb. Obviously, they were wrong. Not saying there weren't people with extremely optimistic predictions, but the majority of people (on here anyways) were rather pessimistic with their prediction I'd say.

fred

Sounds like a runaway success to me (although I personally can't remember anyone, let alone A LOT of people, predicting it would be). It's a new IP on a console that's been selling like a pile of old pants since launch and has sold nearly 1.1m already. How much success do you want for gawd's sake..?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The next Splatoon OT should be titled: Eating crow now drinking piss now. Eating crow drinking piss eating crow drinking piss eating crow now.
OT 3: crow eaters offered a free drink here

LuffyZoro

I haven't gotten it yet, but I will when I'm going back to school. Only thing I'm disappointed about is the limited local co-op.

Neoxon

I haven't gotten it yet, but I will when I'm going back to school. Only thing I'm disappointed about is the limited local co-op.
The Wii U can't handle local co-op for Splatoon without a massive framerate drop (as shown by the Battle Dojo). Plus they'd have to rework the mechanics entirely to accommodate for 2 people on one Wii U.

LuffyZoro

The Wii U can't handle local co-op for Splatoon without a massive framerate drop (as shown by the Battle Dojo). Plus they'd have to rework the mechanics entirely to accommodate for 2 people on one Wii U.

Yeah, no, it makes sense why it doesn't have it, I'm just a little sad I won't be able to play it with my friends (since I'm the only one with a Wii U).

Top Bottom