• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon sells over one million copies in japan

rhandino

Banned
And to think a year ago people were predicting sub 1M WW.
With how well received the game became after the reveal and the push that Nintendo did for it anybody who said sub-W101 bombas never should have been taken seriously in the first place.

=/

Well deserved. Played it for hours at friend's house. Fun game. One of the few Nintendo games I actually have interest in. I hope to have a Wii U soon so I can play this and XCX. And finally give Monster Hunter a try as well.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Wow, well done. I always assumed multiplayer shooters weren't popular in Japan but I guess that - like me - they just don't care for the military machismo they're usually wrapped in.

Hope this means Splatoon is a permanent fixture going forward.

Exile20

Wow, well done. I always assumed multiplayer shooters weren't popular in Japan but I guess that - like me - they just don't care for the military machismo they're usually wrapped in.

I hope so too. It has enough lore to make it a franchise.

Hopefully this gives them confidence to make more new IPs.

Nintendo are so underrated in this regard.

I mean, you've got Splatoon, Xenoblade, Pushmo, Harmoknight, The Wonderful 101, Tomodachi Life, Codename: Steam and The Last Story which have all released in the last few years, and then games like Kid Icarus: Uprising which are effectively new IP's anyway.

Yet all we hear about is how Nintendo don't make new IP's, I'd actually argue that they are more effective at making new IP's, of the big three.

mclem

And it'd probably be hard to have all that ink flying around on 3DS.

I think to do the inklings right for Smash you'd want to go some way towards implementing their mobility mechanics; not just the ability to spread ink, but also the way the ink affects their traversal capabilities.

That'd mean a character would need to have the ability to affect the actual terrain in the level, and I suspect that's a more low-level change that the developers may not have been prepared for when planning to implement new characters.

RK128

I assume inklings will be the villager of smash 5, one of the headline poster characters for the game

I'm expecting that too honestly :).

They could play with the stronger hardware of the next version of Smash (NX port or full-one Smash 5) and it would be great seeing them in the game :D.

L95

I think to do the inklings right for Smash you'd want to go some way towards implementing their mobility mechanics; not just the ability to spread ink, but also the way the ink affects their traversal capabilities.

That'd mean a character would need to have the ability to affect the actual terrain in the level, and I suspect that's a more low-level change that the developers may not have been prepared for when planning to implement new characters.

This is pretty much exactly why I thought Inklings weren't getting in smash this round, tbh.

roknin

Well deserved. I'll be honest, I didn't expect it to do *this* well.

I'm not surprised. A lot of Japanese NNID's have been kicking my butt lately in the game.

Dude.

They are so serious. Whenever I play on weekends during the day, I tend to do alright and it's mostly American players.

When I play late at night during the week, I'm like the only non-Japanese player... And I am usually the worst player on either team by a mile. -_-;

Still very fun though, of course.

I feel the same, I've been semi-interest d in getting back into shooters but I needed something else style-wise.

Well deserved.

I was always amused by those here in GAF saying Splatoon would bomb. The amount of fanmade creations immediately after the E3 reveal should have already hinted people that this was going to be big. GAF will always GAF I guess.

Xeteh

Anyone that hates Splatoon hates joy and happiness. Congrats to Nintendo on the successful game. It is so much fun.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It looks like Splatoon sold 130K these last 45 days in France. It was at 150K by end of october. It's now at 280k.

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/splatoon-280-000-ventes-en-france-A157203.html

Oh wow. Now that I didn't expect. The game is probably going to hit 3 million worldwide at least then right? We know that US sales are at least 600k as of September, and with France that's another 1 million or so. All the other territories probably form an additional million themselves yeah?

Wow, well done. I always assumed multiplayer shooters weren't popular in Japan but I guess that - like me - they just don't care for the military machismo they're usually wrapped
Nah, COD sells reasonably well in Japan. Last I checked, BO3 had over 250,000 sales in Japan. Nothing compared to Splatoon but not too bad for a game heavily rooted in US culture

Crayolan

Oh wow. Now that I didn't expect. The game is probably going to hit 3 million worldwide at least then right? We know that US sales are at least 600k as of September, and with France that's another 1 million or so. All the other territories probably form an additional million themselves yeah?

Nintendo's million sellers list puts it at 2.4m as of September 30, so 3m seems inevitable.

Mato

Where would this game be if there was a handheld version? Probably a top tier Nintendo franchise. There is plenty of room for growth and I'm sure Nintendo sees that and is planning ahead for their next gen.

Javier

Effect

Awesome news.

I guess they didn't make the cut because they'd require more mechanical tweaks to the game to be able to fit. Sakurai'd probably want to use the ink mechanic for them and that seems something way more complex to add than the stuff characters already in the game use.

The Wii U likely would have been able to handle it. The 3DS on the other had likely would have caught fire or just exploded trying to process that in addition to everything else. That game is already pushing that system to it's limits. There is a big parity issue here that stopped them from being added as well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah if you're going to do an inkling in Smash you have to do something like having them be able to drop into the ink and be invisible, too much work for DLC almost certainly

jariw

Really pleased about this. I often wonder if Wii U's fortunes would have changed if this was a launch title.

That's extremely hypothetical. Splatoon exists because of the development experiences members of the core team got when working on earlier Wii U projects, such as NintendoLand. It's all described in Iwata Asks.

There are always "fresh" ips from Nintendo. Trouble is, when Splatoon had been with Mario characters as first planned, some people would say it is a Mario game and not some new IP.

Mario wasn't the first plan. Tofu was the first plan. The second plan was a rabbit. Mario was the fire exit suggestion to use if everything else failed.

And to think a year ago people were predicting sub 1M WW.

Actually, less than a month before Splatoon released, Splatoon was predicted (by lots of GAFers) to bomb.

This old thread is kind of interesting, started May 03, 2015:
Do we expect Splatoon to be the next major Nintendo I.P.?

EDIT: beaten.

I have to imagine that this game is closing in at near 3 million worldwide by now

Or already surpassed 3 millions. It was 2.42 millions on September 30, 2015.

HeroR

Congrates. Love Splatoon.

Although, I am getting tired of this narrative that Nintendo don't make new IPs. They make new IPs all the time, it's just most don't give a damn unless it has Mario, Zelda, or Metroid written on it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So, it was 2.4 millions as for September 30, 2015.
What we know for sure is that since than, he sold

130k in France
202k in Japan (retail only)

So, it's official that it is at least at 2.732.000 copies ww minimum, plus

digital sales, US market, all other Eu markets.

I'd say that it is pretty sure that it already surpassed the 3 millions mark.

So, it was 2.4 millions as for September 30, 2015.
What we know for sure is that since than, he sold

130k in France
202k in Japan (retail only)

So, it's official that it is at least at 2.732.000 copies ww minimum, plus

digital sales, US market, all other Eu markets.

I'd say that it is pretty sure that it already surpassed the 3 millions mark.

105K from this months NPD + 140K from the bundle. numbers given by creamsugar

trixx

Why does this game seem so popular in Japan but not as much in other regions. I often find myself playing with a lot of Japanese players and some of those guys are insane.

The competitive game in Japan must be pretty big

Carlisle

Well deserved. Between Splatoon and Rocket League, I've never had more fun playing online MP. I typically avoid MP modes in games that have them and just go through the SP, so I never thought I'd be buying anything that had a focus on MP. Splatoon is just so damn good.

Mory Dunz

Why does this game seem so popular in Japan but not as much in other regions. I often find myself playing with a lot of Japanese players and some of those guys are insane.

Maybe it depends on when you play. NA sales are reaching 1 million as well.

jariw

One reason I read in the Splatoon OT some months ago was that Japanese players historically tend to devote longer time to their games than western players, while western gamers switches more quickly to new games.

Schnozberry

Splatoon has a bright future, especially if Nintendo releases simultaneously on their next Handheld and Home Systems for the next release.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
105K from this months NPD + 140K from the bundle. numbers given by creamsugar

great, so AT MINIMUM it is at

245k (US) + 130k (France) + 202k (JAP) + 2.4 millions = 2.977K copies sold (without October US, all other EU countries since October 1st)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Super happy for the game, it's my favorite in a number of years. I cannot wait for what they do next with it. I'm there day one.

You don't even need to go through the whole thread. The first page alone is Wall Of Shame worthy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039957

Hmm, I wonder.......
The real question is will this game have plenty of players in 6 months?
Oh.........
I have a feeling even with a marketing push W101 would have still sold below expectations. The majority of people back then and now just aren't interested in the Wii U.
OH........
I don't think it will be a system seller.
iStock_000014734522XSmall-300x199.jpg

Top Bottom