• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Blacklist confirmed for Wii U?

A launch title version outsold versions on userbases in the millions.

Time to consider Nintendo-exclusivity for Sonic, like you should have at least when Mario & Sonic sold 10 million.

The next Sonic game better be Wii U exclusive. Secret Rings IIRC sold 2 million back in 2007.

its been pretty obvious sonic should have gone nintendo exclusive since the gamecube days

its been pretty obvious sonic should have gone nintendo exclusive since the gamecube days

Yep, the Adventure series and Mega Collection afterward was a brilliant move and introduction to Sonic for Nintendo fans, how could you not be hooked?

If Sonic Adventure 3 is this year's game, then it being Wii U exclusive would not only be extremely appropriate, but the greatest thing ever. :p

What I don't understand is why Ubisoft seems to be the only company porting their major releases to Wii U. Why they would continue to port if there is no incentive, and why aren't other companies doing the same if there's money to be made?

A launch title version outsold versions on userbases in the millions.

Time to consider Nintendo-exclusivity for Sonic, like you should have at least when Mario & Sonic sold 10 million.

The next Sonic game better be Wii U exclusive. Secret Rings IIRC sold 2 million back in 2007.

Don't forget Generations on 4 platforms failing to outsell the Nintendo platform exclusive Colours on 2..

TheNatural

My Member!

Wow at the irony of your posting.

You're justifying third parties continuing to bring over games after probably the worst selling third party launch since the Saturn, but suggest Sonic games which have done at least decent on multiple platforms to go Nintendo exclusive? What sense does that make?

What I don't understand is why Ubisoft seems to be the only company porting their major releases to Wii U. I don't see why they would continue if there was no incentive, and why other companies aren't if they could make money.

as i said earlier ubi like money and ports are cheap, most publishers have though demonstrated a severe lack of common sense when it comes to nintendo platforms for many years

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
ubi like money, porting is cheap

This. I thought I had heard Ubi spent under a million on the Assassins Creed 3 port and made a substantial profit on the port even with the relatively low sales on the platform.

I think Ubi's attitude that every game should hit every platform makes perfect sense and will yield great results for them in the long run.

Don't forget Generations on 4 platforms failing to outsell the Nintendo platform exclusive Colours on 2..

Yepper.

I just looked, and SASRT sold 260k on Wii U with the complete total of 930k on all platforms.

28% of sales were on Wii U and the game at that point was on Wii U, PS3, 360, and PC right?

Hiltz

So it seems Ubisoft's commiting a good amount of support to Wii U this year:

Rayman Legends
Ghost Recon Online (should be coming out by now)
Watch Dogs
Rainbow Six: Patriots - still a rumor
Splinter Cell: Black List - still a rumor

Too bad only the first game interests me.

big youth

no one has mentioned Ubisoft had great success on Wii, especially during the launch period. I'm sure this factors into their philosophy.

and also worth noting the best selling version of generations being the 3ds version when it had a comparatively tiny userbase

Wow at the irony of your posting.

You're justifying third parties continuing to bring over games after probably the worst selling third party launch since the Saturn, but suggest Sonic games which have done at least decent on multiple platforms to go Nintendo exclusive? What sense does that make?

while i'm fully aware of the irony its stretching the truth to suggest sonic has done 'decent' on anything but nintendo systems

as i said earlier ubi like money and ports are cheap, most publishers have though demonstrated a severe lack of common sense when it comes to nintendo platforms for many years

I can't really offer an alternative explanation, but I have trouble believing that most publishers avoid Nintendo consoles purely because of the stigma attached to them without doing the calculations to see if there is money to be made. I know Nintendo platforms are notorious for getting less third party support, and the simplest explanation is that Nintendo games sell to the detriment of everyone else. Is Ubisoft just able to port their games more cheaply than, say, EA or Activision?

Hiltz

I can't really offer an alternative explanation, but I have trouble believing that most publishers avoid Nintendo consoles purely because of the stigma attached to them without doing the calculations to see if there is money to be made. I know Nintendo platforms are notorious for getting less third party support, and the simplest explanation is that Nintendo games sell to the detriment of everyone else. Is Ubisoft just able to port their games more cheaply than, say, EA or Activision?

EA is hit or miss with Nintendo. Criterion being able to work longer to get out a better quality port of Need for Speed is a nice move. However, EA's not bringing out Madden or Tiger Woods PGA Tour for Wii U this year. Activision makes so much money off of Call of Duty, that it can easily take the risk of porting it to Nintendo home consoles. Although, we have yet to hear if the next COD title will be headed to Wii U. There's not much of an excuse to be had due to the transition to next-gen since Activision even put Call of Duty on Wii back in 2006 and Wii U in 2012. I'm not surprise by Ubisoft's support for Wii U, but I don't expect every game to hit Wii U. Ubisoft's just willing to be more supprotive of Nintendo platforms than some of the other big western publishers. It reportedly said that it wasn't that expensive to port Assassin's Creed 3 to Wii U, but that kind of goes without saying.

Ubisoft said this statement about Wii U development costs back in July 2012:

Out of seven games we are planning to launch five games are ports, so those are games for which there is a quite small reinvestment to do.
Ubisoft indicated that Wii U ports cost around 1 million euros (a little over $1.2 million). According to a 2010 report from Ibis Captical, a research firm, the average Xbox 360/PS3 development costs were $15-30 million. A $15 million title needs to sell around 500,000 copies to break even (not including overcosts). Double that amount for $30 million titles. As for Wii, the average game costs $5-7 million. If we go back further, the average Xbox and PS3 development cost was said to be $3-5 million.

Roo

Sonic always had that Nintendo vibe
you know, you can actually see Sonic as a Nintendo franchise like Mario and the rest of the mascots. No wonder it always does better on Nintendo platforms

TheNatural

My Member!
and also worth noting the best selling version of generations being the 3ds version when it had a comparatively tiny userbase

while i'm fully aware of the irony its stretching the truth to suggest sonic has done 'decent' on anything but nintendo systems

"I just looked, and SASRT sold 260k on Wii U with the complete total of 930k on all platforms."

Almost 700,000 is not decent, but many games doing south of 20,000 for launch and holidays is?

"I just looked, and SASRT sold 260k on Wii U with the complete total of 930k on all platforms."

Almost 700,000 is not decent, but many games doing south of 20,000 for launch and holidays is?

Point is, that a LAUNCH version, on a budding userbase did even a bit more than other versions on platforms with a userbase in the 10's of millions each.

That's pretty damn significant, and shows Sonic's presence on Nintendo's systems, even new ones.

liger05

What? That must be terrible. Did the game bomba on everything else?

What does this have to do with nintendo? Ubisoft and other 3rd parties can announce their games for Nintendo platforms whenever they want.

Is that the case with all third party games? Why announce games for platforms but leave Wii u out until later on? What's the purpose? Black ops not being officially announced for so long was nothing to do with Nintendo?

BD1

Banned
I doubt Sonic 2013 will be Wii U exclusive, but it might be the lead platform and the version Sega gets most behind. There is no questioning the Nintendo fan base is Sonic's best market.

Probably some twisted Stockholm syndrome type shit, residual from the 16 bit days. :p

I doubt Sonic 2013 will be Wii U exclusive, but it might be the lead platform and the version Sega gets most behind. There is no questioning the Nintendo fan base is Sonic's best market.

Probably some twisted Stockholm syndrome type shit from the 16 bit days.
:p

It's possible for it to be baselined on Wii U, pretty sure '06 was on PS3 (they first demoed is on PS3 hardware at TGS '05, a year prior to release), then Unleashed was baselined on 360, then Gens was on PS3 again.

So Wii U being the lead this time would be possible, hopefully it gets uber treatment from Sega, especially if it is SA3. *drools*

TheNatural

My Member!
Point is, that a LAUNCH version, on a budding userbase did even a bit more than other versions on platforms with a userbase in the 10's of millions each.

That's pretty damn significant, and shows Sonic's presence on Nintendo's systems, even new ones.

It has nothing to do with Sonic. It has to do with why people would say something like Sonic should be exclusive because it sells best, and then defend 360/PS3 versions of games that have done much, much worse coming to Wii U than Sonic has on other platforms.

Talk about bias. Almost all the launch games were utter disasters in sales, and defending more versions while at the same time saying Sonic shouldn't be on anything else? That's as hypocritical as it gets.

Is that the case with all third party games? Why announce games for platforms but leave Wii u out until later on? What's the purpose? Black ops not being officially announced for so long was nothing to do with Nintendo?

Black Ops was one example and yeah, that was weird. Nintendo probably just held it off because they needed a "megaton" for their conference even though it was obvious enough that BLOPS II would be coming. I think the short port time for wii u version of BLOPS 2 had a lot to do with it as well. It's not like nintendo continues to tell pubs to hold off on game announcements though. You have games like Skylanders Swap Force (With the same publisher as Black Ops), Disney Infinity, and Watch Dogs (a game that is a bigger deal than a spinter cell port, and something nintendo would likely want to announce themselves) getting announced simultaneously with other versions so If nintendo themselves are still telling 3rd parties to hold off on announcements, they probably think they are big ones that are fit for trade shows like E3

28% of sales were on Wii U and the game at that point was on Wii U, PS3, 360, and PC right?
Vita, not PC.

What? That must be terrible. Did the game bomba on everything else?
Megabombed. Bit then so did the first game on everything that wasn't DS/Wii/iOS.

Sonic really just doesn't do too great on PlayStation or Xbox these days.

Shipments are one thing, but sellthrough really favored Wii U in the US. NPD for SASRT was Wii U = 2x 360 = 3x PS3. Wii U version is now over 100k US too.

Mr. Robot

I think the reason why Ubisoft are being so supportive to Nintendo, is because Nintendo allowed Ubisoft the exploit the mine know as:
Box_Art.JPG

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this was already kind of confirmed a while ago? In any case, I'm not sure about the game yet. If I do end up getting it, it'll likely be on the Wii U.

Effect

If Nintendo had any say they'd be asking publishers to announce all the games they can not hold them back. The better the Wii U's line up looks now the better.

However I don't think the low sales of Assassin's Creed 3 should be counted against Nintendo or Wii U owners. Regardless of what the title says it was the 5th title in the series that has never appeared on Nintendo hardware until now. Majority of the people interested in that series would have gotten it on other systems. Early adopters would be likely to own more then one system. There was no strong reason to buy it on the Wii U other then one just wanting more Wii U games for their system. I only personally got it because it seemed self-contained and setting seemed interesting (wouldn't have gotten it otherwise) after reading up more on it and I got it after I got my Wii U and other games. It was not high on my list. I have a PS3 and never bothered with the series before. It was just luck this one released around the Wii U.

Now if there is a Splinter Cell game it should be day and date with the other version. Otherwise they shouldn't bother at all. If a late port is a concern on other systems (Rayman Legends for example) then it should be a concern on the Wii U. If if exist then announce it and stop sitting on it. Do right or don't do it at all.

I'd expect Blacklist U to probably launch alongside the other versions in August.

I wonder if Ghost Recon Online will ever start back up again?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd like it, let's see if true. the fact that the linkedin profile update was made in October is not so assuring...I'd like to see also Ghost recon online coming as it was.

Ubisoft, best supporter of the WiiU in the west so far...

They will try a racer first time. FZero outsourced, I´m calling it.

If F-Zero ever gets outsourced then only to Sega I hope.
I actually don't want a non-Japanese developer lay hands on F-Zero, aside from maybe Retro Studios, Shin'en and WayForward.

Top Bottom