• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Sober

MW6bIff.png

The thing you have to understand is this: The Sam Fisher you knew is dead.

Ubisoft killed him, asked him to mark and execute one too many, cross into the action genre too far.

Another game killed him, some stupid decision to get someone younger than Michael Ironside to play the lead. He was the one thing in a Tom Clancy mess of a plot that humanized him.

And Conviction killed him. It set him up and turned him loose, and told him that action was the only way to attract more fans to the stealth genre.

Splinter Cell died by Ubisoft's hand that day, and so did Sam.

So the fans left. Left Splinter Cell, left the franchise they knew. Left the shadows and ghosting and night vision goggles, left it all behind. They cried about the Blacklist E3 2012 reveal, Hitman: Absolution, and the Thief Reboot, looking for another decent stealth game.

Eventually they found it. They heard a whisper in the wind that maybe the next Splinter Cell wasn't going to be all airstrikes and action like they had been lead to believe.

They heard more about the game. And they found somewhere to go looking, a forum called NeoGAF. It's on the Internet...

iUPhngLbru1Su.png

RRNzCNH.png

Platforms: PC, 360, PS3, WiiU
Developer: Ubisoft Toronto, Ubisoft Montreal (MP), Ubisoft Shanghai (Co-op)
Publisher: Ubisoft
Ratings: ESRB M, PEGI 18+, MA15+
Release Date: 20 August 2013 (North America), 23 August 2013 (Everyone else) because of oceans apparently
PC Delay Announcement: 20 August 2013
PC Release Date: Add five months.

PC Minimum Specs:
Operating System: Windows® XP SP3 or Windows Vista® SP2 or Windows® 7 SP1 or Windows® 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13 Ghz or better / AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+ @ 2.8 Ghz or better
RAM: 2GB
Video card: nVidia GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD3870 or better (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0 or higher)
DirectX: DirectX June 2010 Redistributable
Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers
Peripherals: Windows-compatible keyboard and mouse required, optional controller

Platform differences:
PC Features: DX11 effects such as TXAA, tesselation, HBAO; high-res textures; parallax mapping; oh and .... ummm .... UPlay.
WiiU Features: Well, definitely not off-line (off-screen) co-op.
360/PS3 Features: Screen tearing.​

FkWuXmU.png

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is the sixth main-line game in the Splinter Cell franchise (seventh if you count the PSP-only game, Essentials). Blacklist is an attempt to 'course correct' the Splinter Cell franchise after having been received fairly poorly by long-time fans after a series of games following the seminal title and fan favourite, Chaos Theory, a game that many would consider the gold standard of the stealth-action genre. Double Agent (seventh generation) and Conviction were fairly linear affairs that did not offer much of the freedom that Chaos Theory introduced. Blacklist is an attempt to merge the speed and fluidity introduced in Conviction and the philosophies introduced in Chaos Theory together. That, and Sam Fisher is no longer 'on the run' or 'on his own'. He is back, doing what he does best; wet suit, goggles and all.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is the first game developed by Ubisoft Toronto. It is being touted as the biggest Splinter Cell game yet, including the return of Spies Vs. Mercs, the franchise's well-known asymmetrical multiplayer mode, along with a lengthy single player campaign and co-op features.

You may also know this as the game that will be the first to not include fan-favourite actor Michael Ironside lending his voice as Sam Fisher, plus a slew of offences that might seem blasphemous to the stealth gaming genre, such as allowing players to be aggressive or loud and to get into pitched firefights instead of sneaking and avoiding everyone. And an airstrike or two.

For anyone new to the franchise, this game is almost considered a soft reboot in the sense that you don't need to know much about the previous games, except for a few references from Conviction due to the timeframe between the two titles. This makes it a good place to jump in.

WARNING: Everything after this section was written for entertainment purposes and should be interpreted as such. That is not to say there isn't a small kernel of truth contained within.

If you are looking for factual information on the game, please see the OP in the hype/info/news thread where I have compiled actual information on the game.

z1sYMW1.png

Those dang terrorists are up to it again! In typical Tom Clancy fashion, they have had enough of America's WORLD POLICE-ing! Since they can't just fight like real men and call it a day, they decide they are going to spook all of America with some poorly-cut YouTube clips and an ominous countdown timer. Oh, and a bunch of actual terrorist attacks. The President of the United States - not knowing that she owes Sam Fisher one for saving her life in the previous game - asks him to lead the charge in hunting down those poor terrorists that just want America to leave them alone.

I also don't know who was in charge of naming the villains this time around, but they are called "The Engineers". A silly name if you ask me, because most engineers I know are just really introverted and will look at their shoes when talking to anyone. Well, maybe that's why they use YouTube clips to get their point across. And why they happen to be all dudes.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist tells the story of how Sam Fisher got bored of not having a job, so he jumped on a plane with a woman whose guts he hated, a nerd, and a black guy to travel the world and to fight another war on terror, because like they say, "you can't have too much of a good thing." In this case, I mean proper Splinter Cell games, not wars on terror.

6778nUP.png

All preorders come with the Upper Echelon pack which includes:
guMT8fO.jpg

• Gold Goggles: dat swag
  • Upper Echelon Suit: For your Chaos Theory roleplay
  • Dead Coast co-op Map: because who doesn't like co-op?

hVu0YE6.jpg

Paladin Multi-Mission Aircraft Edition (aka the US Collector's Edition)
  • A 3-CHANNEL TWIN-ENGINE REMOTE CONTROLLED PLANE THAT CAN FLY OVER 35 MPH WITH A RADIUS OF 250 FEET, MODELED AFTER THE IN-GAME PLANE: Does not get more ostentatious than this.
  • Limited Edition Graphic Novel, Splinter Cell: Echoes: Supposed to tie the end of Conviction to the start of Blacklist
  • Billionaire's Yacht Co-op Map: something else to do to avoid spending time with loved ones
  • Limited Edition Splinter Cell: Blacklist Poster: for lining the walls of your virgin den and keeping members of the opposite sex away (including your mother)

2X75r9Z.jpg

The Ultimatum Edition (EMEA only)
  • Collector Box: it's still cardboard ...
  • 24-page version of Splinter Cell Echoes: because you couldn't pony up for a more expensive edition, you only get the first chapter!
  • Special Ops watch: so you can record the time when she says, "not even if you were the last man in the world!"
  • Some ghost boots (formerly owned by an actual ghost) and the Billionaire's Yacht map

HtM3hhS.jpg

The Fifth Freedom Edition (EMEA Only, which is ironic because the Fifth Freedom is a US thing in the Clancy-verse...)
  • Collector's Box and a Steelbook: so you won't dent it with anything, not that you own anything heavier than an anime body pillow
  • A copy of Splinter Cell: Echoes
  • Some more unlocked gear across SP/Co-op/SvM
  • A 2 foot tall Sam Figure figurine: just because?

wQ2jbpS.jpg

The Fifth Freedom Silver Edition
  • It's the same fucking thing as the Fifth Freedom Edition, except they dipped it in silver.
  • A 2 foot tall SILVER Sam Figure Figurine: There should be a fight between this and the R/C plane to decide which one is more ostentatious than the other.

QSSFFeD.jpg

The Black Edition (Australia only)
  • It has the box art and name everyone else wants, how about that?
  • Also some mix of equipment DLC, that's all the rage these days I hear.
  • ... something's not right here ...
qX7hyMr.jpg

Steam Digital Deluxe
  • You get it on your Steam account!
  • You get to play it on PC!
  • You get a copy of Conviction, if you didn't already own it! (umm, why are we excited for that?)
  • You essentially get all the DLC that was divided amongst retailers on top of the other pre-order/physical CE bonuses, just not physical goods
  • ... I guess I should mention it has UPlay too.

cVknuVE.png

O9wiGIO.png

Sam "Panther" Fisher
The man with a million faces who also suffers from Benjamin Button disorder. He suddenly is thrust back into the world of Tom Clancy-esque espionage because he realizes he still needs a job to pay for all his facial reconstructions and treatments for Benjamin Button disorder. Apparently all the fans think that Sam Fisher should never use his full power (just like Superman), and they find that it is more unrealistic that a former Navy SEAL and CIA operative could actually be more aggressive than a tiny kitten.

In Blacklist, Sam Fisher is played by Eric Johnson. You may know him from other TV roles in Smallville, Rookie Blue, or that really crappy Sci-Fi Flash Gordon remake, which I may have been the only person who watched it.

Yes, that is him smoking a blunt
on Orphan Black

jIimN4R.png

Anna "Grim" Grimsdottir
The tech lady who sits back at home base to lecture you in your earpiece, not that I think that's where women belong in a clandestine black-ops agency. Grim has known Sam for as long as there were Splinter Cell games, except she sat out Double Agent because she already knew it was going to be bad. Apparently fans were too busy frothing at the mouth over Sam Fisher getting a new voice actor they forgot they had also replaced Grim's as well (as well as in Pandora Tomorrow). She and Sam start the game off kinda not wanting to talk or make eye contact with one another, and not because they read your shitty Sam/Grim fan fiction. If you wrote that, it was probably bad and you should feel bad.

In Blacklist, Grim is played by Kate Drummond. Hopefully they won't include those really bad boob jiggle physics she had from Conviction. If you liked that, you are bad and should feel bad.

WaqOU56.png

Isaac Briggs
There's some really boring background about how Isaac Briggs was born into a military family and is the most by-the-book CIA operative and how he doesn't exactly mesh well with Sam Fisher. But over time, they probably become bros and all that through the hardships of fighting terrorists. I wouldn't expect a Predator handshake anytime soon though (or the far superior Spartacus one).

In Blacklist, Isaac Briggs is played by Dwain Murphy. He is also your co-op partner and plays exactly as Sam would. Cue the horrible palette swap and Black Panther jokes!

cIaDEJ3.png

Charlie Cole
The 'nerd' and 'comic relief' and probably 'heart' of the team, Charlie is with Sam on a private job when the first Blacklist attack goes off. Occasionally wears a stupid hoodie. He probably gets too excited because of the gadgets and is woefully untrained besides shooting off bad quips.

In Blacklist, Charlie Cole is played by David Reale. My first reaction is to wonder why didn't try to get Aaron Stanford (who plays Birkoff in CW's Nikita) who plays a really good tech/nerd dude. But holy shit, this guy was in that Sci-Fi (SyFy??) Red Riding Hood movie with Felicia Day! (where they hunt werewolves!)

YmQFFmu.png

The SSV NormandyPaladin
It's like the SSV Normandy, except instead of a futuristic stealth spaceship based on Human and Turian designs, it is just a giant 4-engine military cargo plane that you fly around in and have your home base in, complete with places to upgrade your equipment, receive sidequests and choose your next mission with the Galaxy MapWorld Map on the SMI.

tP3rdoh.png

Andriy Kobin
Apparently this asshole keeps coming back again and again. If you cared enough about the plot of previous Splinter Cell games and could wade through the Tom Clancy jargon ... this is the guy who pretends to kill Sam Fisher's daughter. Apparently he doesn't do background checks on the people he sells black market weapons to and accidentally sells them to the bad-guys-of-the-week, so Sam Fisher is forced to break his face a bit for another game.

In Blacklist, Andriy Kobin is played by Elias Toufexis, who reprises his role from Conviction. You may know him better as the voice of the protagonist in the game, "I Never Asked For This", the prequel to the 2000 game of the year, "What A Shame: A Bomb!", confirming that he clearly took inspiration from Christian Bale's Batman.

uMaVj1Z.png

Sadiq of The Engineers
Well, every video game needs a antagonist, and it isn't a Tom Clancy plot without a either a Central Asian or Middle Eastern antagonist. Well, I guess a rogue general would also fill that role, but here our antagonist is both Middle Eastern looking and has a British accent! Classic bad guy vibes already!

In Blacklist, Sadiq is played by Carlo Rota. You might know him from 24 or Little Mosque on the Prarie, where he plays a nice person and rarely does violent things and in the latter case, gets kinda goofy occasionally. But not in Blacklist. I'm surprised there aren't many interviews with him. I didn't need a comparison picture of him in game because they just copy and pasted his face into the game without a care in the world, but I have to imagine he just has to put on a scowl, and he's a bad guy now!

r36kZDG.png

The Three Playstyles: Unless you've been living under a rock or still stewing about Michael Ironside, the game now rewards you based on how you play. Ghost, Panther, and Assault are the options they identified, unless you are from the official forums and you want to be even more of a special snowflake, you can make up your own dumb name like Hawk or Tiger or Barghest or Virgin (specializing in hover hands, which explains why your brand of stealth involves little to no contact).

As you make your way either sneaking, stabbing or shooting fools, you get the appropriate amount of points. But be warned, just because shooting everyone is more efficient doesn't give you many points at all! At the end, they count up all your sneak/stab/shoot points and multiply it with some insane algebraic equation to give you some mad cash money you can spend playing the actual RPG mini-game where you buy things and upgrade them for the sake of buying things to upgrade.

Did I also mention you get the same cash money playing the multiplayer modes and it all collects into the same pool?

yw4FXVF.png

Ghost: This style emphasizes never being seen. You slip past guards, maybe knock a few out but you don't cause a ruckus and no one is none the wiser. You continue on, complete the objective, and get out without anyone ever knowing you were there. That or you spend more of your time on the Internet discussing the finer details of what qualifies as 'proper' ghosting such as if breathing qualifies for disturbing the environment or not. Might not actually spend as much time planning to stay undetected as they would have you believe. Bottom line: usually it means no detections, no alarms, no kills, and a whole lotta...

teUYVIu.gif

Popular Ghosts: Casper, Slimer, basically everyone who says they were a fan of the older games, anyone who can pause the game and load their last save when they get spotted, and hopefully you.

pA60mMn.png

Panther: Popularized in Conviction in turning Sam Fisher from being slow as a grandmother to deadly and fast as a panther, this is a more predatory version of stealth. You stick to the shadows, but you aren't below snapping some necks or shooting some heads - as long as no-one trips the alarm or notices long enough to. Mark and Execute is probably your bread and butter, but silently murdering all the guards one at a time is also an option. They tell me the better you get as a panther, your screen should be filled with ...

pantervykd8.gif
pantervykd8.gif
pantervykd8.gif

pantervykd8.gif
pantervykd8.gif
pantervykd8.gif

pantervykd8.gif
pantervykd8.gif
pantervykd8.gif

Popular Panthers: Sam Fisher in Conviction, people who need to review the game on a deadline, people who want to "stand out" on the Blacklist official forums, Batman (if he weren't a sissy about shooting guns or snapping necks). I wouldn't mind if you were a panther, I guess.

HjWCkuu.png

Assault: Well, I guess they had to do it. Assault means might is right, unless you're a Splinter Cell fan, at which point you might faint at the simple prospect of the option to shoot loud guns. You're going to be in for a shock, but those were options back even in Chaos Theory (guess where those headers came from) and Conviction (guns that didn't have silencers was an "option" as well). Also relies on plenty of explosives to get the job done. I guess you'd have to because you'd cause one hell of a ruckus and all the guards will drop what they're doing to hunt you down. Might be interesting if you can make use of some stealth to use to flank your enemies. Or I guess play peek-a-boo and pop them dead as they emerge from cover.

assault_stealth46jz9.gif
assault_stealth22xk8f.gif

Popular Assaults: Probably anybody in the cast of any Call of Duty game, that twelve-year old on Xbox live that called you [expletive here] over voice chat while playing BLOPS2, hopefully not you if you can help it.

NwuzHCx.png

Co-op in a stealth game can only mean one thing: trolling your partner. Some possible consequences? Calling in more enemy reinforcements. Or how about just making your partner's life harder when the enemy starts searching for you? Or how about instant-fail stealth missions? Get caught just before you finish the level! You can always make new friends later in life!

In Blacklist, the co-op missions come unlocked out of the box and you can even play some of them solo again and again if no one loves you enough to play with you. Don't worry, they are only nominally connected to the main story line so don't worry about spoiling yourself by playing them first (either alone or with a friend you actually secretly hate).

FtWz2wy.png

I get a lot of questions asked about this new version of Spies vs. Mercs. Examples might include, "But the spies, they have knives now!" Yes, I realize that wasn't really a question, more of a complaint. Other complaints also include, "Why are spies so fast? Why can they just kill mercs left and right? I mean, wouldn't that just kill the flow of the game?" And those are maybe valid complaints the first couple times. When I've explained two things again and again, those being 1) maybe they changed the pace to make it slightly more accessible, and 2) to wait for a metagame to develop before actually complaining about imbalances, then it feels like the message is not getting through to anyone because it is in fact, not your daddy's Spies vs. Mercs anymore. But it certainly isn't Call of Spies vs. Mercs either. At least, not yet.

For handy reference, I have summarized the philosophical differences inherent in SvM then and SvM now:

0ZOqG4M.png

CA2EoC5.png

For a complete list, please see this post.

RVDZ9fH.png

XBL:

PSN:

Steam/UPlay:

WiiU:

biVeHkM.png

Embargo breaks on 14 August!

scblabkcu.gif

KDC720

Nice OT, I can't believe I never noticed Kobin and Adam Jensen were voiced by the same guy.

Anyway, have the game pre-ordered and it looks great from what I've seen of it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The game itself is actually a stealth metaphor. Its coming near gamescom when it will receive the least amount of coverage. Its a postmodern deconstruction of the stealth genre that puts mgs to shame.

DrBo42

Sober said:
The thing you have to understand is this: The Sam Fisher you knew is dead.

Ubisoft killed him, asked him to mark and execute one too many, cross into the action genre too far.

Another game killed him, some stupid decision to get someone younger than Michael Ironside to play the lead. He was the one thing in a Tom Clancy mess of a plot that humanized him.

And Conviction killed him. It set him up and turned him loose, and told him that action was the only way to attract more fans to the stealth genre.

Splinter Cell died by Ubisoft's hand that day, and so did Sam.

So the fans left. Left Splinter Cell, left the franchise they knew. Left the shadows and ghosting and night vision goggles, left it all behind. They cried about the Blacklist E3 2012 reveal, Hitman: Absolution, and the Thief Reboot, looking for another decent stealth game.

Eventually they found it. They heard a whisper in the wind that maybe the next Splinter Cell wasn't going to be all airstrikes and action like they had been lead to believe.

They heard more about the game. And they found somewhere to go looking, a forum called NeoGAF. It's on the Internet...

Why is this so familiar... Was this one of those cringe-worthy Vic monologues?

My bodysuit is ready.

ijhvWpRCTLgDM.gif
Nice gif

I'm a huge stealth fan, Chaos Theory made it a passion, but my $60 is reserved for GTA V. Guess I'll be getting this later in this year or Christmas.
Why did R have to release a new GTA less than a month after a return-to-form SC?! Ugh

---
So some SC reminiscing: what are your favorite levels from the other games? I never played the original but played PT, CT, DA, and Conviction

PT - the Train
CT - The Bank, Hokkaido
DA - Shanghai, the Hotel
Conviction - 3rd Echelon

Nice OT, I can't believe I never noticed Kobin and Adam Jensen were voiced by the same guy.

Anyway, have the game pre-ordered and it looks great from what I've seen of it.

all it does is remind me that I need to play Human Revolution again ASAP

I fucking loved Adam Jensen/actor's voice

MercuryLS

Banned
The title is perfect. If you want a good stealth game play mark of the ninja. It's a damn shame what Ubi did to this series, chaos theory was friggen amazing.

K.Sabot

Popular Ghosts got me.

Game still sort of looks like bunk, despite how many "concessions" they've made to get back their audience.

Best CT mission is El Cargo and Seoul of course.

mr stroke

God no, WHY UPLAY :(

Uplay is the worst piece of game software ever created. Makes GFW and Origin look amazing.

Really want to play this on the PC, but the DRM may force me to go 360/PS3.

Sober

God no, WHY UPLAY :(

Uplay is the worst piece of game software ever created. Makes GFW and Origin look amazing.

Really want to play this on the PC, but the DRM may force me to go 360/PS3.
What kind of GFWL experience are you having that makes things as benign as UPlay or Origin seem great?

UPlay though, you probably want to update it before the game comes out. Origin is not going to rape your sister or anything. But GFWL, that dude...

K.Sabot

What kind of GFWL experience are you having that makes things as benign as UPlay or Origin seem great?

UPlay though, you probably want to update it before the game comes out. Origin is not going to rape your sister or anything. But GFWL, that dude...

Launching from UPlay tends to blue screen me when running flash in a second monitor, and other dumb small things like that.

K.Sabot

Also can someone clarify the age of Fisher in this?

He sounds and looks not a day over 30, but has a 20 something year old daughter that geek guy wants to get his dick into apparently.

He sounds and looks not a day over 30, but has a 20 something year old daughter that geek guy wants to get his dick into apparently.
Sounds like he has the opposite of Solid Snake's affliction.

Ya know, for contrast.

I have to confess - I'm a sucker for loadouts and unlockables in campaigns, especially these Tom Clancy games. If the game is decent I'll get at least a few full runthroughs easy just to acquire all the goodies and experiment with em. Shooting here looks so damn much better than Conviction, and stealth looks a lot more involved and promising.

Does increasing the difficulty actually change AI behavior? Or just give them better senses and reduce your get-out-of-jail-free cards?

Alienous

55, or something like that.

Ironside's voice would have been perfect for this character, who I'd expect to take a backseat after the events of Conviction. You give Issac Briggs the shot at the big time, and make Fisher a new Lambert.

I suppose that things such as the Splinter Cell movie, set to be starring Sam Fisher, would make something like the above impossible. Better to James Bond him, at the cost of the larger story. Really, they should have just written Conviction out of canon.

K.Sabot

Ironside's voice would have been perfect for this character, who I'd expect to take a backseat after the events of Conviction. You give Issac Briggs the shot at the big time, and make Fisher a new Lambert.

I suppose that things such as the Splinter Cell movie, set to be starring Sam Fisher, would make something like the above impossible. Better to James Bond him, at the cost of the larger story. Really, they should have just written Conviction out of canon.

Wow, that's hilarous.

They didn't bother to even rewrite anything before swapping Fisher out for an Abercrombie model. That just makes it more creepy, honestly.

Not sure whether to grab one of the Nvidia codes for 20 or wait for the steam version to get a deal. Suppose for 20 one can't go wrong.

Sober

The delicious irony is that if Conviction weren't written the way it were we would've simply gotten a new actor to be Sam Fisher anyway, just one game earlier.

Gaz_RB

Hilarious OT. Didn't know that the reviews come out tomorrow. If they're decent, I'm picking it up. I think they will be, there hasn't been a bad Splinter Cell yet. That being said, I'm not blindly going into this. If the reviews are bad, I'll probably cancel my pre-order.

might grab it for $20 but definitely not paying more from what I heard so far, I'm not crossing my fingers that the reviews will be that good either

LOCK

The reviews should be interesting, considering the playstyles available.

I'm getting the Wii U version btw

Funny OT. Really great job.

But are people really cautious/skeptical/disappointed?

I thought this was supposed to be more in line with Chaos Theory as opposed to Conviction?

I want a good stealth game.

And wth is with this exclusive co-op map crap?

Will they at least be available for download?

I want this mostly for the co-op and SP, but the OT makes me confused :/

Sweet Jesus.... $20 now seems like gouging to put up with that service.

Well, every pc version of the game uses Uplay. So if you buy it on steam it just runs Uplay and the game through steam's system. So it'll say how long you've played and that's it. Uplay either way ;)

Hell, for $20 what could go wrong. Uplay is no GFWL.

Sober

Funny OT. Really great job.

But are people really cautious/skeptical/disappointed?

I thought this was supposed to be more in line with Chaos Theory as opposed to Conviction?

I want a good stealth game.

And wth is with this exclusive co-op map crap?

Will they at least be available for download?

I want this mostly for the co-op and SP, but the OT makes me confused :/
I am actually very excited to see how this game performs because I spent waaay too much time looking into it. It has to be good, right?

Dead Coast is for every preorder (part of the 3 piece pack) in every region.

Billionaire's Yacht is only for collectors editions and their equivalents. I can only assume it'll become available later.

Top Bottom