• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent 720p new X360 pic

gogogow

Here's a 720p direct feed image from SC: DA from the X360 version.
Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot, NO SC: DA versus MGS4 please.
MGS4 looks awesome imo and I'm sure SC: DA will look
awesome too, judging by their previous installments.
Like that's gonna help.......
da7e4ccdb89d7e9f7a82d8370954.jpg

source:xboxworld

Lakitu

st5fu
Looks very nice :) looks on par with MGS 4, now can we stop the ridiculous SC 4 vs MGS 4 arguments? Thanks.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Lakitu said:
Looks very nice :) looks on par with MGS 4, now can we stop the ridiculous SC 4 vs MGS 4 arguments? Thanks.

Hahah, like that's ever going to happen.

Game looks tight. Can't freakin wait.

123rl

:D

Maybe hate is the wrong word, but I've played every Splinter Cell game and I just didn't enjoy them. This look different though and (IMO) a genuinely better game

Mr Gump said:
So whats that got to do with how a game looks?

Because this game looks much more interesting than the other SC games. The new angle sounds like something I'd enjow, so I'll want to play it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
123rl said:
Because this game looks much more interesting than the other SC games. The new angle sounds like something I'd enjow, so I'll want to play it.

I dunno. If you didn't like the other ones, I have doubts you would like this one. I am sure many of the gameplay mechanics from the previous titles is intact and they have just added to it.

Andy787

Banned
Until I see a gameplay screen I'm not going to be able to tell if this looks good or not. Still looks like art. And not very good art, at that. And for the record, I've loved all of the Splinter Cell games so far.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Andy787 said:
Until I see a gameplay screen I'm not going to be able to tell if this looks good or not. Still looks like art. And not very good art, at that. And for the record, I've loved all of the Splinter Cell games so far.

Why would they go to the trouble of making the art 16:9?

I don't think it's art. I am confident it's the game.

Looks in-engine to me. And it doesn't look too hot either, a far cry from the CG trailer anyway. Are we sure this isn't just a 1280x720 version of an old screenshot?

SonnyBoy

I love SC and Im currently playing thru CT again. For whatever reason this game simply isn't doing something for me that the other games did. It looks decent in the graphics department but Im not really impressed.

It doesn't matter because I'm buying it at launch regardless. :lol

Andy787

Banned
Look at the lightning bolt, and the lighting in general. Look at the helicopter. I'm not saying it would be impossible to make something like that in-game, and it probably wouldn't even be too demanding for 360 or PS3, but even if it is in-game, I still can't tell if it looks good or not. It just looks fake. That's why I said I need to see a gameplay perspective pic.

Drek

Lakitu said:
Yeah, thats pretty rediculous, MGS4 wipes its ass with this.

The "visual divide" is a result of shit like this, great technical engines that are used to render excessively sharp, overly clean images. A few obvious problems is just how little wear and tear is on that building, how sharp EVERY SINGLE ANGLE is in the shot, and how repetative the windows and brick look. The rain effect also looks weak, but that could just be part of how the shot was taken.

It looks like a tech demo, not a game. I'm a fan of the SC series, if this is what their next gen offerings looks like I'll be disapointed (still play 'em though, great gameplay).

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Drek said:
Yeah, thats pretty rediculous, MGS4 wipes its ass with this.

The "visual divide" is a result of shit like this, great technical engines that are used to render excessively sharp, overly clean images. A few obvious problems is just how little wear and tear is on that building, how sharp EVERY SINGLE ANGLE is in the shot, and how repetative the windows and brick look. The rain effect also looks weak, but that could just be part of how the shot was taken.

It looks like a tech demo, not a game. I'm a fan of the SC series, if this is what their next gen offerings looks like I'll be disapointed (still play 'em though, great gameplay).

Translated = blurry textures FTW !

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Lakitu said:
This thread is doomed. ALREADY. JUST SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

Ryudo: You're not helping.

I am sorry. I just donated some money to a catholic charity to make up for it. Seriously.

Borys

Banned
Chittagong said:
Ubisoft has found the secret antialiasing function of 360

No shit.

Perfect AA and perfect AF (look at the fireescape grate and its shadow).

In-game my ass.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Borys said:
No shit.

Perfect AA and perfect AF (look at the fireescape grate and its shadow).

In-game my ass.

I'm sure if any company could pull it off. So could Ubisoft :)

Jerkface

Banned
Commenting on something being "bad art" needs to be punishable by death aswell.

They should add floating gun platforms and winged demon guards with fucking great swords to the prison.

Ehm, the rain, clouds and some of the lighting looks totally fake, no way that's in-game stuff. Not because it's too good or anything, it's just that it's obviously some sort of 'art' piece, the rain, clouds and lightning bolt have a clear 2D blended look and don't seem to take place in the 3D space of the scene.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Deadly Monk said:
It's a render. Sorry.

You know, I never claim to know anything for sure - but it blows me away that some of you guys act like you know for sure what the situation is.

Provide proof of your statement now please.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Here's my problem with the image, if you scale it down to 853x480 (480p widescreen) it looks like this:

853.jpg

Still a pretty game. The issue I have is that at that resolution, it doesn't look *that* much better than a high end Xbox game.

Here's a shot from CT for the Xbox

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-20050201031932026.jpg

I wouldn't have a hard time believing that both games were made on the same hardware.

Maybe the problem is that I just don't like the art style, but the graphics certainly don't amaze me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As I expected, it looks like an upgraded port from the XBOX version. Nowhere near those renders shown a while ago (not that they ever claimed them to be realtime).

The lightings and shadows are no more impressive here than they were in Chaos Theory on XBOX and the structures are all very blocky. It looks like a high-res XBOX game...which doesn't suprise me. It's a shame they didn't just decide to start with 360 as the base platform and skip the others. There have been enough SC games on last gen machines.

The actual action in that shot is somewhat appealing, though. Seems like a change of pace for the series. I'm interested...

Dr_Cogent

Banned
dark10x said:
It's a shame they didn't just decide to start with 360 as the base platform and skip the others. There have been enough SC games on last gen machines.

There are 2 independent platform projects. One for the 360, the other for last gen.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
dark10x said:
So there are two SC games in the works for 360?

No. From everything I have read the 360 project is independent of the last gen project for the original Xbox, PS2, GC. They are tailoring the 360 towards the 360 without having up upscale from last gen, or downscale to previous gen from the 360 version.

dark10x

Dr_Cogent said:
No. From everything I have read the 360 project is independent of the last gen project for the original Xbox, PS2, GC. They are tailoring the 360 towards the 360 without having up upscale from last gen, or downscale to previous gen from the 360 version.
Uhh, if that screenshot presented at the top of this page is legit, they clearly are not doing such a thing. That could just as easily be a high-res devkit image taken from the XBOX build.

If they are truly building it from the ground up, which I highly doubt, they aren't doing a good job. The GRAW team is owning them right now, which is totally backwards compared to last gen (SC was always the visual leader).

To be honest, when I saw that shot, I expected to scroll down and see that all hell had broken loose. I'm absolutely stunned that people are impressed by that shot.

The SC games on XBOX last gen always kicked the bar up a notch, visually speaking. I would have expected the same here.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
dark10x said:
Uhh, if that screenshot presented at the top of this page is legit, they clearly are not doing such a thing. That could just as easily be a high-res devkit image taken from the XBOX build.

If they are truly building it from the ground up, which I highly doubt, they aren't doing a good job. The GRAW team is owning them right now, which is totally backwards compared to last gen (SC was always the visual leader).

Thats what I read in EGM or Game Informer. One or the other. Either they are lying or Ubisoft is lying. What I told you has been apparently been said by Ubisoft themselves. You can choose to believe whatever you like.

Personally, far too many of you guys garner too much "supposed" information from screenshots IMO.

Dante

Looks about par with other good looking 360 games. Nowhere near those other shots that obviously were cut scenes.

dark10x

Dr_Cogent said:
Thats what I read in EGM or Game Informer. One or the other. Either they are lying or Ubisoft is lying. What I told you has been apparently been said by Ubisoft themselves. You can choose to believe whatever you like.

Personally, far too many of you guys garner too much "supposed" information from screenshots IMO.
Like I said, I don't believe it based on that shot. I can clearly see an effort there which suggests that either they are porting up from XBOX *OR* they just aren't doing a very good job.

That is NOT what a true next-gen SC game should look like. Surely you can agree with that. I'm fairly positive that they will eventually achieve results far beyond that, but this doesn't seem like the installment that will do it.

Top Bottom