• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER Bioshock Infinite SPOILER discussion

Nicktock

Neo Member
Did anyone else take a metaphoric approach to the scene when all the Elizabeth's kill Booker? I didn't feel like that was the actual moment he was baptized, but the representation of of the "moment" (for lack of a better word) in time-space where all realities with Comstock form.

The setting doesn't extend beyond the river there's a copious door up on the hill and the first time Liz takes Booker there there's a bunch of people, but on the second time there is not. I feel like the Liz's drowning Booker there is her using her powers to shut that one door where Comtock forms (and by shutting that one door all other Comstock doors are shut as well).

I just feel like the setting wasn't as literal as I thought at first.

did any of the choices in the game mean anything? Throwing the baseball? which choker you give To Elizabeth?

Nope. And that's sort of the point. Variables and constants. They were a variable that had no effect on the overall events of the story, and can be taken as a comment on the futility of the player's agency.

MGrant

did any of the choices in the game mean anything? Throwing the baseball? which choker you give To Elizabeth?

The baseball decision gets you a reaction a few minutes later in the game. The choker doesn't change anything, but it's important to know which one you gave her, because the choker changes symbols in different parts of the ending.

LordCanti

If you throw the ball at the guy instead of at the couple, you find the couple in a building later and they thank you. Beyond that...I have no idea.

I'm not sure what the significance of the choker is either, or of Booker's hand getting stabbed (does it not get stabbed if you choose the other option?). I took Booker's hand having a bandage as a way to communicate that you were still the same guy in some odd way. They never used it that way though (he never looks at his hand and goes "oh right...that happened" or anything).

7he Talon

The baseball decision gets you a reaction a few minutes later in the game. The choker doesn't change anything, but it's important to know which one you gave her, because the choker changes symbols in different parts of the ending.
After I spared the guy and the girl, I saw them later on and they said they would help me. I can't remember how/if they did.

Blinck

Did anyone else take a metaphoric approach to the scene when all the Elizabeth's kill Booker? I didn't feel like that was the actual moment he was baptized, but the representation of of the "moment" (for lack of a better word) in time-space where all realities with Comstock form.

The setting doesn't extend beyond the river there's a copious door up on the hill and the first time Liz takes Booker there there's a bunch of people, but on the second time there is not. I feel like the Liz's drowning Booker there is her using her powers to shut that one door where Comtock forms (and by shutting that one door all other Comstock doors are shut as well).

I just feel like the setting wasn't as literal as I thought at first.

It certainly felt a bit metaphoric, I agree.

taoofjord

Any recommendations on other books/games/movies/tv shows that have tell one story but having something much bigger going on behind it that you have to piece together? Sci-fi and fantasy especially.

Obviously Lost and Fringe are good examples. Same goes with Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun (and his other books).

antitrop

The tears revealing music from the future are just freaking brilliant. I seriously said WOW when I heard Fortunate Son through a tear. It's like, wow, it explains so MUCH and fits the narrative so well.

I like to think that the girl sitting on the gallows came up with that song herself and John Fogerty heard it through a tear and stole it.

I probably just missed it, but how do the Lucettes discover each other? Their main goal is to be together, right? How were they seperated and who found who? Did they know each other before the tears?

Basically, any background info on the Lucettes will do, they are super interesting.

Oh, really? That was actually my initial prediction.

When the choker part happened, I was watching carefully to see if Elizabeth ever got swapped out for another one, with the choker being the only indication. Never noticed it change in the ending!

I just noticed something odd. In the blue ribbon where you get the shield from the luteces, if you shoot at them lasy Lutece says "Missed" in a sort of mocking way, even if you aim right at her head at point blank. But you can shoot and kill the guy at the bar. Keep doing it and she keeps changing what she says "We can afford to do this all day, the question is,can you?"

It may be just that old video game thing where you can't kill important people but it felt odd to me and usually Booker lowers his gun for people like that, he does near elizabeth anyway. It also struck me odd because of the whole empty Lutece grave thing I brought up before. Something about it seemed fishy

I don't know what to think.

So did the path I take during the ending make any difference?

If you don't pull your gun out while buying a ticket you don't get stabbed in the hand. If you play the game twice you can get tails instead of heads on the coin. So the choices changed small little things but the ending I believe is always the same.

7he Talon

The tears revealing music from the future are just freaking brilliant. I seriously said WOW when I heard Fortunate Son through a tear. It's like, wow, it explains so MUCH and fits the narrative so well.
Same thing went through my head. Such a magical moment.

Bob White

May have been talked about already but these quotes from reddit...

2- The Bioshock link. The story makes it clear that Bioshock/Rapture/Ryan/Little Sisters/Big Daddies were just another "infinite variable" of Columbia/Comstock/Elizabeth/Song Bird. This is troubling since it implies that the entire Bioshock story was just another derivative of the current story, and it also implies that that entire Bioshock universe ceases to exist once the infinite loop is closed. It's also very puzzling to figure out how a man inspired to create a city through scripture, would end up being related to the "godless industralist" that was Ryan.

Throughout BioShock, the bathyspheres are used by Jack as a mode of transportation to travel around Rapture and its "abandoned" city sections. It is revealed that Jack can use the bathyspheres only because his genetic signature is close enough to Ryan's that the security system doesn't deny him access. Sullivan clearly states this in one of his Audio Diaries "Sisters, cousins — anyone in the ballpark genetically will be able to come and go as they see fit." --- Booker is able to use the bathysphere to reach the surface. This occurs after the civil war when genetic restrictions on Bathysphere travel were put in place to stop rebels/dissidents from escaping.

Have led me to believe that maybe Andrew Ryan is Booker's kid. I mean, not Booker's but Comstock's kid. Like maybe in one world, Comstock can't get his city/vision off the ground and Columbia never happens. But, Andrew took his ideas and, since he hated his zealot father, went the exact opposite direction.

In the end, the birth of Comstock would have still lead to a city outside of society.

SoulUnison

Banned
I just noticed something odd. In the blue ribbon where you get the shield from the luteces, if you shoot at them lasy Lutece says "Missed" in a sort of mocking way, even if you aim right at her head at point blank. But you can shoot and kill the guy at the bar. Keep doing it and she keeps changing what she says "We can afford to do this all day, the question is,can you?"

It may be just that old video game thing where you can't kill important people but it felt odd to me and usually Booker lowers his gun for people like that, he does near elizabeth anyway. It also struck me odd because of the whole empty Lutece grave thing I brought up before. Something about it seemed fishy

I think it's just the universe's way of saying that the Letuce siblings can't really "die" because that would mean that there was somewhere they "weren't" when they're supposed to be "everywhere." But, yeah, it's also a gameplay thing.

I guess they could have had you warp back to Booker's office death-style anytime you shot one of them, but that'd be a little much.

Oh, question I've been meaning to ask. During the ending, when you see the "other" Booker and Elizabeth walking along the Lighthouse Piers, are they "opposites?"

Like, if you picked the Cage for Elizabeth, and Booker got his hand stabbed at the Battleship Bay ambush, do the "other" Booker and Elizabeth have the Bird and no hand bandage, respectively?

MC_Hify

I was just listening to Weekend Confirmed, I agree with Jeff, Bioshock is a lot like half life. I suppose you could do this for a lot of stuff though. In Zelda the songbird would be what? Tingle? I fixed the quote.

LJOoY2y.png

I think he just lowers his gun over time. I accidentally shot at Elizabeth multiple times and her only response was "watch out!"

SoulUnison

Banned
I was just listening to Weekend Confirmed, I agree with Jeff, Bioshock is a lot like half life. I suppose you could do this for a lot of stuff though. In Zelda the songbird would be what? Tingle?

Ow2uqwp.jpg

That'd blow my mind a lot more if they'd gotten Elizabeth's quote even nearly correct.

DTKT

Just finished it.

What the

I mean jesus.

There is one small thing that I don't get. How is killing one of multiple Booker solving anything? Killing Booker/Compton in the first reality didn't seem to change much. Wouldn't you have a kill a baby in order to prevent to person from actually existing.

Also, is the death/respawn mechanic ever explained?

Axial

I probably just missed it, but how do the Lucettes discover each other? Their main goal is to be together, right? How were they seperated and who found who? Did they know each other before the tears?

Basically, any background info on the Lucettes will do, they are super interesting.
According to one of the audio logs Rosalind and Robert got to know each other through the studying of a particle, which existed in both of their parallel universes. She mentions something along the line of using it like a morse code.

I was just listening to Weekend Confirmed, I agree with Jeff, Bioshock is a lot like half life. I suppose you could do this for a lot of stuff though. In Zelda the songbird would be what? Tingle?

Ow2uqwp.jpg

"There's always a lighthouse, Always a man and always a city" If you're gonna do it, do it right

SiskoKid

Just finished it.

What the

I mean jesus.

There is one small thing that I don't get. How is killing one of multiple Booker solving anything? Killing Booker/Compton in the first reality didn't seem to change much. Wouldn't you have a kill a baby in order to prevent to person from actually existing.

Because Elizabeth states outright she can see all possibilities and that she sees one possibility where killing Comstock removes him from all possibility spaces. The exact quote is, "I can see ALL the doors and what's behind all the doors. And behind ONE OF THEM, I see him." She then continues on and says, "It will only be over when he never even lived in the first place."

That's why when you kill Comstock, all the Elizabeths disappear because they can't exist without Comstock.

Smothering Comstock in his crib was a metaphor for killing him during his baptism. Because in his baptism he was born again and when he took on the name Comstock.

The death/respawn is probably a quick way of showing the Lutece twins bringing him back into an alternate timeline to continue the quest for stopping the infinite loop.

Just finished it.

What the

I mean jesus.

The idea is that you're only killing the version of Booker that chooses to be baptized, and thus becomes Comstock. The versions of Elizabeth dissapear, but Anna will still exist & grow up with her (gambling debt-ridden) father.

The way I understood the death mechanic is this - The entire game is in many ways controlled by Lutece. They've run you through this story a million times, with you dying somewhere in the process each time. When that happens, they open up a portal, grab another "Booker" and start again. When you're revived through the door mechanic, you're taking the reigns of a new Booker in the same situation, picking up from where you last failed.

Uiki

I was just listening to Weekend Confirmed, I agree with Jeff, Bioshock is a lot like half life. I suppose you could do this for a lot of stuff though. In Zelda the songbird would be what? Tingle? I fixed the quote.

soTh48S.jpg

My mind was blown like 20 mins ago, I just finished my playthrough....then i come here and i see this.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Axial

I thought the same thing on that early encounter with the Luteces, seemed like a fun way to poke at the unkillable npc cliche at first. When you progress through the game and find out that Fink sabotaging their tear-manipulation machine didn't actually just kill them but somehow changed their existence across all of space time, their remarks in the Blue Ribbon when you try to shoot them make perfect sense.

Tokubetsu

Any recommendations on other books/games/movies/tv shows that have tell one story but having something much bigger going on behind it that you have to piece together? Sci-fi and fantasy especially.

Obviously Lost and Fringe are good examples. Same goes with Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun (and his other books).

The Dark Tower.

So are we to believe the Luteces brutally murdered the lighthouse caretaker? Yeah, he was going to (and already has) kill Booker, but that guy looked tortured to death. Pretty extreme.

In the end, the birth of Comstock would have still lead to a city outside of society.
Maybe, maybe not. I think it doesn't matter who is the man. They always build a city. And only the Comstock universe is alienated. I wouldn't be surprised if even in the new universe created through killing Comstock, there is a city. Just a different one.

SiskoKid

Maybe, maybe not. I think it doesn't matter who is the man. They always build a city. And only the Comstock universe is alienated. I wouldn't be surprised if even in the new universe created through killing Comstock, there is a city. Just a different one.

Right. The Luteces simply wanted to end the infinite loop they created when they brought Anna and male Lutece over from Booker's space/time.

Any other constants and variables are irrelevant to them.

qpoC2C1.jpg

Boom, that's why we need valve to release HL3 and push the genre in new directions...again. It'll at least give all the hacks something else to copy.

SiskoKid

Boom, that's why we need valve to release HL3 and push the genre in new directions...again. It'll at least give all the hacks something else to copy.

I don't think the image is meant to convey that BioShock was bereft of ideas and stole them from HL. The quote from BioShock Infinite is meant to prove Elizabeth's point that there are variables and constants no matter what you do and that HL has a similar structure.

Half Life is simply another reality with similar variables and constants.

Booker getting stabbed in the hand means his bearing a stigmata for the rest of the game.

A nice tidbit from Wikipedia:
Some modern research has indicated stigmata are of hysterical origin,[21] or linked to dissociative identity disorders,

Fits in nicely with the religious and identity themes of the game.

Top Bottom