• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER Bioshock Infinite SPOILER discussion

cameltoad

Neo Member
I think the Luteces play the major role in this game. There are multiple instances which suggest they have had to open another tear to another Booker because he has died in the process of saving Elizabeth (something they want to happen in order to seal away their scientific discovery and repent for facilitating in the whole Comstock/Columbia problem).

For example, the dead guy in the lighthouse could be a Booker from another timeline in the multiverse who failed to climb the lighthouse and was killed by the keeper.

I also think that helps explain the scene whereby Booker walks through the tear at the door in his office every time he dies.

That being said, there are still some loopholes and issues with this idea, but I think there is something to it.

My theory for the Bioshock scene and its relation to the story is a bit farfetched and I doubt many will agree, but...

...I reckon Rapture was stumbled upon, perhaps by the Luteces, and much of the technology of the game was acquired through it (ADAM used to create Vigors; mechanics behind the humanoid enemies).

What I would love to see is a DLC expansion that expands on the connection with Rapture. Despite happening in different decades, I have a strange feeling that the guys at Irrational might have intended for Columbia to have been literally Rapture, but from another timeline in the multiverse. Obviously, what with there being no reference to Booker/Comstock, no visible relation with Andrew Ryan etc, this seems improbable, but perhaps that's only the case because it wasn't thought of during the development of Bioshock 1.

Who knows, really. But I'd love to see more from Levine's canon, hopefully sooner (Infinite DLC) rather than later (a whole new Bioshock title).

But how does drowning the one denying the baptism solve the problem?

Booker turns into Comstock after accepting the baptism and taking on a new identity. By killing the version of Booker who takes the dip, Comstock (and Columbia) never exists - and Booker & Anna live happily ever after.

It's an era that is utterly fascinating as emerging modernity continued to evolve. Would love to know more about it historically.

Here's a long historical critique from elsewhere:

its really scatter-shot and slapped together. lev seems to have gone through books and figured out that turn of the century Americanism means a couple of bad things, like racism and nationalism and the confederacy, but he hasnt bothered to piece them together into a historically cohesive whole so the reasoning behind them is extremely shoddy and 2013 liberal-ish.

so theres a bunch of stuff of how columbia is a really militarized society, with children all being taught to love the army and so on and so forth, which really wasnt America at all in 1912. America now is much more devoted to The Cult Of The Soldier than 1912 was. and in 1912 a 'white' (which is to say accepted and respectable) proletariat has already been developed and is working within society, but all lev knows is that in the 19th century there was exploitation and people hated immigrants so theres a goddamn sky slum full of sky irish, which is a much more 1870 thing than a 1912 thing.

this also gets into lev's confusion re: the place of the confederacy. he seems to have rolled the south into an otherwise north-eastern / western image of The Ideal America, so you get both the european eugenics / nationalism of the latter and the caste society of the former existing at the same time. if columbia is dedicated to an all white future, like it seems to be, then why are there black people there in the first place? if columbia is devoted to re-establishing, on firmer footing (lol), southern caste society, then why is the columbian end-game to destroy non-columbian civilization? why the fuck are there klansmen in columbia? do they all get together every month and re-affirm that things are great and there's really no need for them but they already bought the costume and its a good excuse to get away from the wife?

again, he has essentially ripped the pictures out of some survey book and then ex-post facto tried to devise his own understandings for why those pictures existed. why did people love george washington? because he was a conqueror and they wanted to conquer everything. why was there so much focus on developing and protecting the American race? because they were all insecure about their own racial heritage, just like how everyone today who hates gay people is secretly gay. its the most ridiculous nonsense and it p's me o.

also the in-universe reason for why theres irish / blacks in columbia is for menial labor and manufacturing. menial labor is nonsense because, again, caste society and the beautiful eugenic'd future are totally different, and the manufacturing bit is its own retarded thing. why the hell even is there manufacturing in columbia? you not only have to import materials and labor and then export the processed goods, and this is back in 1912 so the tariff is still A Thing, but you have to fucking build and maintain the very foundations of the factories, much less the factories themselves. its the least economical idea possible!

Booker turns into Comstock after accepting the baptism and taking on a new identity. By killing the version of Booker who takes the dip, Comstock (and Columbia) never exists - and Booker & Anna live happily ever after.

Yeah, but the twins take the booker(s) which never accepted baptism. At the end they drown him. Which is what I don't get

TimeInc

I'll put what I said I few pages back.

I thought Booker lives on.
Is it not that when Booker refuses to be baptised he carries on as Booker, and then the second time he is going to accept the baptism and be born again as Comstock the Elizabeth(s) kill him before he can become Comstock. In the end meaning that all the Comstock's from every universe it gone, but Booker still lives on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EDIT: At the above, Comstock saw the vision before Booker was brought into his universe. As such, it becomes a shared supressed memory. It was likely remembered very quickly due to the significance of that vision to Comstock.

Right, and the source of Comstock's visions could very well be a shared memory imprinted on just-baptised Booker/Comstock from Booker who had seen the visions made reality. Time is circular so there's no point where Booker is sent back to drown, it's all happening instantly. It's inherently paradoxal, but that's okay, because that universe collapses the moment it comes into being. But you're a mortal man who still perceives time as linear ;).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone catch after the bird dies, if you look across the water you see a little sister mourning a big daddy?

How great is that parallel? As obvious as it seems to me now, it didn't strike me at first. Both girls mourn the loss of their protector in their own way.

Another thing, I was going through today grabbing clips for a video I'm doing on it and I noticed when you free Liz and land in the water with the songbird after you does Booker die here? He wakes up in the office again the same as when you die in game.

Also at the start when the guy baptises you and Booker gasps for air he goes into the office as well. So does he die here too?

Or are these just what he dreams of when unconscious? cos I would like it more if he died many times reinforcing that infinite Booker thing

Grief.exe

I think the Luteces play the major role in this game. There are multiple instances which suggest they have had to open another tear to another Booker because he has died in the process of saving Elizabeth (something they want to happen in order to seal away their scientific discovery and repent for facilitating in the whole Comstock/Columbia problem).

For example, the dead guy in the lighthouse could be a Booker from another timeline in the multiverse who failed to climb the lighthouse and was killed by the keeper.

I also think that helps explain the scene whereby Booker walks through the tear at the door in his office every time he dies.

That being said, there are still some loopholes and issues with this idea, but I think there is something to it.

My theory for the Bioshock scene and its relation to the story is a bit farfetched and I doubt many will agree, but...

...I reckon Rapture was stumbled upon, perhaps by the Luteces, and much of the technology of the game was acquired through it (ADAM used to create Vigors; mechanics behind the humanoid enemies).

What I would love to see is a DLC expansion that expands on the connection with Rapture. Despite happening in different decades, I have a strange feeling that the guys at Irrational might have intended for Columbia to have been literally Rapture, but from another timeline in the multiverse. Obviously, what with there being no reference to Booker/Comstock, no visible relation with Andrew Ryan etc, this seems improbable, but perhaps that's only the case because it wasn't thought of during the development of Bioshock 1.

Who knows, really. But I'd love to see more from Levine's canon, hopefully sooner (Infinite DLC) rather than later (a whole new Bioshock title).

This is a good point, I like the theory and totally possible.

It helps that the Luteces keep saying he never rows, implying they have tried this before.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Another thing, I was going through today grabbing clips for a video I'm doing on it and I noticed when you free Liz and land in the water with the songbird after you does Booker die here? He wakes up in the office again the same as when you die in game.

Also at the start when the guy baptises you and Booker gasps for air he goes into the office as well. So does he die here too?

Or are these just what he dreams of when unconscious? cos I would like it more if he died many times reinforcing that infinite Booker thing

It's an interpretation thing. I think he dies both times. Doesn't tell you how he DID get past the priest though.

Visceir

Yeah, but the twins take the booker(s) which never accepted baptism. At the end they drown him. Which is what I don't get

There was a post here in the thread that covered this quite nicely:
Did anyone else take a metaphoric approach to the scene when all the Elizabeth's kill Booker? I didn't feel like that was the actual moment he was baptized, but the representation of of the "moment" (for lack of a better word) in time-space where all realities with Comstock form.

The setting doesn't extend beyond the river there's a copious door up on the hill and the first time Liz takes Booker there there's a bunch of people, but on the second time there is not. I feel like the Liz's drowning Booker there is her using her powers to shut that one door where Comtock forms (and by shutting that one door all other Comstock doors are shut as well).

I just feel like the setting wasn't as literal as I thought at first.

Meia

Actually, if the Lutece's can pull Booker onto the pier at the beginning of the venture, who's to say they can't pull him into specific areas after passing specific "checkpoints"? That Booker drowns from the priest, Lutece's put a tear where he wakes up, his mind makes the connection that he didn't die, he ALMOST died by drowning, but he's ok now obviously. Same with the fall, though this time they put him back in the water so Elizabeth can "rescue" him from drowning. Same with the wrench hit on the zeppelin, or wherever else it happens in the game.

Right, and the source of Comstock's visions could very well be a shared memory imprinted on just-baptised Booker/Comstock from Booker who had seen the visions made reality. Time is circular so there's no point where Booker is sent back to drown, it's all happening instantly. It's inherently paradoxal, but that's okay, because that universe collapses the moment it comes into being. But you're a mortal man who still perceives time as linear ;).

If that was the case both Booker's would have seen the vision prior to Columbia though, wouldn't they? There isn't anything to suggest that the rejection Booker hasn't seen them while in his apartment but if he had then it would make giving Anna away much more illogical.

PS Actually, now that I think about it, that couldn't occur. If the memory from Booker going back to the baptism was imprinted on them then Comstock would be aware of the chain of events that would prevent 1983 from occuring and could take actions against it. Similarly, Booker would be aware of the consequence of giving away Anna and that he would immediately regret it. Everything would end up as a suppressed memory. EDIT I don't buy the notion that this could occur because the Anna decision is extremely significant to Booker (which is why he latches onto "bring us the girl, wipe away the debt). I cannot accept that this would stay supressed considering that he remembered the burning city almost immediately after arriving in Columbia. It would add much more complication into the timeline than there needs to be and, ultimately, would still result in a failed universe for the Luteces (because Comstock could prevent it).

Although, perhaps I'm just not thinking clearly due to the time.

Final Edit: The reason I'm going with "sent back" is because while every universe is happening simultaneously as you've stated (as female Lutece says, it's an ocean), we see universes that are, relative to the point that we are playing, is ahead of you (1983 universe), the same time (1912) or behind (baptism). I think the memory sharing only works when one universe converges into another or, is some way, tied to another. If we go with time being an ocean, then in theory everybody should have an infinite amount of shared memories and everybody should remember everything (albeit, suppressed). While this is possible, I think the jump over between Chen universe reveals to us the mechanics of remembering (for example, Booker only remembers dying after he goes into that universe, not before).

Of course, this creates a problem with the guards dying when you jump between two universes later in the game and I don't really know any type of way to explain that.

*I'm only bolding since I notice you've posted below and I have just finally managed to explain the reasoning (although, it is pretty in line with what you have posted in your next post).

Actual final edit: Also, I'm not disagreeing that it is, mainly, a metaphorical ending. Ultimately, I don't think the game was designed at all for the type of close scrutiny to each aspect of the plot that is occuring in this thread and as a result I don't think every miniscule piece of the game will ever fit 'perfectly' so that nothing interferes with anything else. I'm merely trying to provide the simplest literal explanation with as few 'gaps' as possible that contradict information provided in the game. I really doubt there is a single 'correct' answer that perfectly solves every tiny aspect of the plot. Although I do think they did an exceptional job of covering up a large amount of potential flaws within the story. I'm subscribing to a "destruction resolution" to the paradox whereby the universe will not allow the paradox to occur. Just like a feedback loop, the universe and choices that lead to the paradox are simply removed to prevent this occuring so, in the end, the only option is for Booker to reject baptism as anything else will lead to the paradox of Booker being murdered by his child before her conception (that's ignoring the other paradoxes such as the Luteces and Elizabeth's formtion).

If Booker died a bunch of times, why is it that he only started experiencing cognitive dissonance until later on in the game? The enemies you kill figure out that they died themselves without any outside source confirming it for them which I suppose what some might say was the requirement with Fitzroy's megaphone speech

dejay

Banned
Is there any meaning to the name Comstock?

Google gives me a reference to an Anthony Comstock, who believed in Victorian Morality around the same time, so it's probably the best best, although some of the views don't overlap (like alcohol).

Probably the usual Levine mashup. The name sounds like the name of a brokerage firm.

Is there any meaning to the name Comstock?

Google gives me a reference to an Anthony Comstock, who believed in Victorian Morality around the same time, so it's probably the best best, although some of the views don't overlap (like alcohol).

Probably the usual Levine mashup. The name sounds like the name of a brokerage firm.

This was mentioned earlier and seems like an inspiration, though I'm not sure if it was ever made clear.
Any word on what area shawn worked on in the game. Was looking to see if maybe he hid something we'd catch.

He's simply listed as a level designer, but maybe someone else knows more?

Meia

If Booker died a bunch of times, why is it that he only started experiencing cognitive dissonance until later on in the game? The enemies you kill figure out that they died themselves without any outside source confirming it for them which I suppose what some might say wad the requirement with Fitzroy's megaphone speech

They had no way of resolving the conflict themselves in their head of suddenly being alive after being dead a few moments ago. If you're wide awake, then suddenly you have a vivid memory of actually dropping dead right there, maybe in a gruesome way, your mind would snap. In Booker's case, all along there was the way of justifying it by just declaring them "near misses" and he goes on with his life no problem, the only major one was being torn to the lighthouse to begin with, but even then his mind is strong enough to survive and form a new memory(or a smattering of one) made up of old ones. If he can survive THAT one, he'd have no problems shrugging off the others.

It brings to mind the Comstock Lode, a large silver deposit which was discovered in Nevada in 1859, which unfortunately is way before Bioshock Infinite. But hey, one old-timey historical period is similar as another, right?

The Wikipedia article is pretty fascinating:

Peter O'Riley held on to his interests collecting dividends, until selling for about $40,000.[3] He erected a stone hotel on B Street in Virginia City called the Virginia House, and became a dealer of mining stocks. He began having visions and began a tunnel into the Sierras near Genoa, Nevada (an area of no known mineralization), expecting to strike a richer vein than the Comstock. He eventually lost everything, was declared insane and died in a private asylum in Woodbridge, California.

DarkKyo

If Booker died a bunch of times, why is it that he only started experiencing cognitive dissonance until later on in the game? The enemies you kill figure out that they died themselves without any outside source confirming it for them which I suppose what some might say wad the requirement with Fitzroy's megaphone speech

Wouldn't he have died in other universes, though? He hadn't died in this one before. Booker never invaded that instance of Columbia before he did.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It really depends on how you view time, which theory you subscribe to, and which Irrational were writing under. A paradoxal circular time loop works if you consider that no amount of for shadowing would save Comstock, as his death and defeat and the collapse of that universe arr a constant. He may have just chosen to fixate on the city in flames "vision" as that's the one that better satisfies his agenda, unable to comprehend the paradoxal nature of the "visions".

Can't really say for Booker. Will have to think on it. Either way, it really comes down to which philosophy of time and the game subcribes to.

Con_Smith

Banned

I think the qoute from the Luteces is kind of a clue to this. He mentally just blocks alot of it out and sort of uses the debt thing as a mantra to stay focused on what he's doing. I noticed when I played through he never really questions the Luteces like Liz does possibly because when dealing with them at first they seem to not be forthcoming with information and just ignore him for the most part. Also once he crosses over to where Vox Booker died he starts to nose bleed and his memory starts to fuck with him as well as when he goes ham on Comstock on The Hand.

Meia

It really depends on how you view time, which theory you subscribe to, and which Irrational were writing under. A paradoxal circular time loop works if you consider that no amount of for shadowing would save Comstock, as his death and defeat and the collapse of that universe arr a constant. He may have just chosen to fixate on the city in flames "vision" as that's the one that better satisfies his agenda, unable to comprehend the paradoxal nature of the "visions".

Can't really say for Booker. Will have to think on it. Either way, it really comes down to which philosophy of time and the game subcribes to.

Yeah, got the idea that Comstock already basically knew he'd meet his end at the hands of Booker. You kind of get that via recording before you meet Elizabeth the first time, when you find out he has cancer, but knows that's not what's going to do him in, and that Elizabeth would be the one to fulfill his purpose anyway, all he has to do was stay alive to see it through. Him being killed by Booker in front of him? Probably thinks that's "mission accomplished" after riling her up about the finger. All he'd have to see is a vision of that scene and the one with a NY under attack and an older Elizabeth, and he'd put two and two together.

What was the significance of choosing a pendant for Liz?

There wasn't any. Like most of the other "click F to do *****" options, none of them really effect anything, they're just there and you have to do them or the story won't continue otherwise, because Booker had already done them once before.. Those prompts were the "Would you kindly..." of this game.

Time can be simultaneous (which it is) with Comstock still receiving visions of a possible outcome that results in Old Liz and NYC in flames, can't it? Even if the possibility space of the Comstock-divergence has as a collective-constant the inevitable fall of Comstock, that possibility space has nested within it the possibly of his triumph as well.

His triumph just proved less likely than his downfall. The alignment of variables necessary to overcome the power of the constants and allow Comstock to succeed were never brought into being.

As to why his visions are of his triumph ONLY, I don't think we get enough information to say whether he gets other visions which he just stubbornly ignores, or whether his own "wish fulfillment" means he only sees his triumph. At some point you have to stop being overly-literal in your interpretation of the narrative and let the symbolic and metaphorical take over, as EatChildren has been (correctly) pushing for the last few pages or so.

What was the significance of choosing a pendant for Liz?

It's a Lutece test, like the coin flip. It's like they're doing progress updates and if you choose correctly then they know you're journey is still progressing as they'd like. Probably because you die in the water after songbird chases you, so they check the Booker they used this time to see if he's legit so to speak. Same with the coin flip at the start because as I see it you die when baptised by the priest, the coin flip isn't far after that.

Of course as a player it never matetrs what choice you pick, the Luteces adjust accordingly to it and whatever you pick is just the right choice. Choice is an illusion to all humans and it's also a play on how videogame choices never actually matter, the end is still the same

ari

Banned
It's a Lutece test, like the coin flip. It's like they're doing progress updates and if you choose correctly then they know you're journey is still progressing as they'd like. Probably because you die in the water after songbird chases you, so they check the Booker they used this time to see if he's legit so to speak. Same with the coin flip at the start because as I see it you die when baptised by the priest, the coin flip isn't far after that.

Of course as a player it never matetrs what choice you pick, the Luteces adjust accordingly to it and whatever you pick is just the right choice. Choice is an illusion to all humans and it's also a play on how videogame choices never actually matter, the end is still the same
That's beautiful.

Bob White

The Little Sister and the Bid Daddy part is probably one of the most well placed pieces of imagery/symbolism in the game. Fucking masterful. No seriously, it was some work of art type shit.

Acorn

I love how open to interpretation the story is, reading everyone's theories and comparing to your own is interesting.

Ken> the rest of the industry.

AHA-Lambda

I just finished it and my head is full of f*ck right now but I have only got 2 pertinent questions I hope someone can answer:

1) Why did the Luteces bring Booker over to the other dimension? (and from the sounds of the little parts of discussion I've read it seems they've done this more than once).

2) How did Booker end up in the later timeline with the old Elizabeth when he jumped after the songbird?

This is why I loved Bioshock's twist and appreciate this game's too, even if it is much harder on my noggin. The concepts on show here are so meta.

Leave it to the Americans to turn this game into yet another Liberal vs. Conservative shit throwing contest.

Columbia is an absolute extreme based off of numerous lies and plenty of deceit. You cannot possibly hope to put that into a context of parallels with our reality.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Unless Anna was born before the baptism. That was never specifically answered one way or another, was it?

Doing the last chapter again, I answered my own question. If it's been 20 years since the baptism then she would have been born after. And I guess that makes perfect sense as Comstock would have gone to get his daughter from a timeline where he rejected it.

dejay

Banned

I also thing the images on the two pendants are there to get the player empathising with Liz a bit. Freedom or confinement - I'm assuming most people chose the bird, although in Liz's world the imagery of bird as freedom and confinement are mixed up, seeing as her keeper was a bird - which also may have been something they wanted on the player's mind.

I know it was a long development, but it did give the dev team a shit load of time to put in a lot of layered shit in like that.

I just finished it and my head is full of f*ck right now but I have only got 2 pertinent questions I hope someone can answer:

1) Why did the Luteces bring Booker over to the other dimension? (and from the sounds of the little parts of discussion I've read it seems they've done this more than once).

2) How did Booker end up in the later timeline with the old Elizabeth when he jumped after the songbird?

1) In an attempt to reset their meddling with the infinite sets of timelines. This is in three Voxaphones. One of them states that the male Lutece is unhappy being scattered across the timelines while the female Lutece is unphased. The second states that an ultimatum was presented, either the female Lutece accepts the ultimatum or they part (and, as we see them together, the ultimatum was accepted). Finally, the male Lutece is feeling guilt over there interference and wishes to reset things. The female Lutece sees it as pointless because 'time is an ocean' (paraphrased). This final one is almost certainly what the ultimatum was about.

2) Old Elizabeth opened up a tear on the bridge.

AHA-Lambda

1) In an attempt to reset their meddling with the infinite sets of timelines. This is in three Voxaphones. One of them states that the male Lutece is unhappy being scattered across the timelines while the female Lutece is unphased. The second states that an ultimatum was presented, either the female Lutece accepts the ultimatum or they part (and, as we see them together, the ultimatum was accepted). Finally, the male Lutece is feeling guilt over there interference and wishes to reset things. The female Lutece sees it as pointless because 'time is an ocean' (paraphrased).

Damn, that's a pretty important set of audio diaries I seem to have missed or at least can't recall =/

Every possible iteration of the series' meta-symbolic structure (man, city, girl, etc) is happening all at once, including Old Liz, BioShock 1, and every single possible variation on the idea ever. This is the classic multiversal structure from science fiction. From here, as EatChildren and a few others have been posting the last few pages or so, there are two basic interpretations of the thing from the high-level view:

1) The localized section of infinite possibility space that grows out from the two basic timelines of the baptism is pruned back entirely and the possibility of Comstock, Liz as Enlightened Being, and Columbia at all, disappear entirely, all possibility of them having existed being erased by the Enlightened Being who, herself, never existed. The classic paradox-solution. In the absence of all those spaces of possibility, no version of Booker ever becomes Comstock and so never steals a version of his daughter, and so Player-Booker and his daughter get to be together in the end. This is the "Happy Ending" interpretation. It's also the one that maps to the Male Lutece's worldview, as pointed out earlier in the thread.

2) The other interpretation is that we get to see the one time in all the infinite iterations of the meta-symbolic structure that some sort of closure is actually reached, whereas across the rest of the multiverse, every other option, both better and worse than what we saw, are all still playing out despite the player having seen the one time things "worked out." This is, I suppose, the "Bad Ending" interpretation, and seems to map to Lady Lutece's worldview.

I don't know enough formal philosophy to be able to say exactly what labels better define the concepts at play here. I believe earlier in the thread they were referred to as Fatalism or Nihilism, but those don't sit right with me... maybe the words for eliminating a whole future chain of events versus seeing only one version of those events work out, haven't been coined yet...

brian!

Here's a long historical critique from elsewhere:

I took the game's historicity with a grain of salt, like it's obviously a weird mish mash of modern sentiments of various portrayals of the late 1800s and early 1900s. The vacuity of the denizens kind of spoke to that, for me, the many conflicting palimpsestic worlds where the dead people felt like something isn't right (and I think that is a continuous sentiment in the game: something isn't right here). I still really don't like it's treatment of an ostensible slave uprising (or at least some sort of uprising of the exploited; here the conflation in history isn't even my problem, it's the attempt to equate Daisy and Comstock on some fundamental level).

Top Bottom