• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Metal Gear Solid V Spoiler Thread | Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not an abrupt change. It's the start of a longer transformation, and it's all we need to know that there's no stopping this train.

After what happened in GZ, Big Boss finally feels vulnerable. When presented with a plan to take the heat off himself so he can further his goals, he doesn't argue with it when in the past he would've. He's starting to throw people under the bus to advance his own agenda.

It's a step well beyond harboring a nuke for deterrence. Now we're in straight-up government-killing-The-Boss territory, something BB swore to disavow.

Yep. It can be inferred that after losing his "outer heaven" once due to being too trusting, he becomes more willing to place his ideals over the people around him.

I think actually Chapter 3: Peace is really just that hidden cutscene you get while disarming all nukes. I don't think there's other hidden content in the game, PC users would discover it already otherwise.
Where are we basing that Ch3 is called "Peace"? Or did someone came up with that name and everyone's running with it?

Chariot

I think actually Chapter 3: Peace is really just that hidden cutscene you get while disarming all nukes. I don't think there's other hidden content in the game, PC users would discover it already otherwise.
Maybe it's even more hidden for PC, remember, the PS4 version is a lot bigger than the PC version.

But then again... nah.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I doubt Peace ever got made, or we would have seen some of it in the trailers. All we saw from those trailers were scenes from 1 and 2.

Dataminers found the texture for the title card alongside the first two.
Well holy shit! That's more meaty than I thought I'd get.

Although it could be nothing but just another remain of an unfinished part of the game, though.

If some sort of Chapter 3 gets unlocked later it would be unprecedented and make Kojima go down in history as the ultimate troll.

Ludens

Banned
I doubt Peace ever got made, or we would have seen some of it in the trailers. All we saw from those trailers were scenes from 1 and 2.

Well, we saw also scenes from Camp Omega (cut), beginning of Nuclear trailer (cut). So we don't really know.

If some sort of Chapter 3 gets unlocked later it would be unprecedented and make Kojima go down in history as the ultimate troll.

Well, I think this won't happen. Konami's PR already wrote there won't be DLC, and no way Konami will release the "missing" chapter later, for free.
It would be a very dumb marketing move, honestly, even considering a lot of people already trade in the game.

Well holy shit! That's more meaty than I thought I'd get.

Although it could be nothing but just another remain of an unfinished part of the game, though.

I'm guessing if it's used in the game at all, it plays before or after the FOB Nuke Ending scene. As more of a thematic nod than anything.

But man... WHAT IF?!? *goes to read r/neverbegameover*

Neiteio

Yeah, the Ch. 3 title card seems like something that would play before the nuclear deterrence cutscene.

BTW, have hackers determined the unlock condition for that cutscene? Like a certain number of FOBs dismantling their nukes?

PensOwl

Banned
It's not an abrupt change. It's the start of a longer transformation, and it's all we need to know that there's no stopping this train.

After what happened in GZ, Big Boss finally feels vulnerable. When presented with a plan to take the heat off himself so he can further his goals, he doesn't resist it... In the past he would have at least questioned it. He's starting to throw people under the bus to advance his own agenda.

It's a step well beyond harboring a nuke for deterrence. Now we're in straight-up "government killing The Boss" territory, something BB swore to disavow.

Well I mean it's abrupt and we don't see it because we learn about it from listening to a five minute recording at the end of the game after doing random side ops.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Well, we saw also scenes from Camp Omega (cut), beginning of Nuclear trailer (cut). So we don't really know.

Well, I think this won't happen. Konami's PR already wrote there won't be DLC, and no way Konami will release the "missing" chapter later, for free.
It would be a very dumb marketing move, honestly, even considering a lot of people already trade in the game.

I really wanted to see that Nuclear trailer intro scene with that song playing on it. Fuck!

JayEH

After what happened in GZ, Big Boss finally feels vulnerable. When presented with a plan to take the heat off himself so he can further his goals, he doesn't resist it... In the past he would have at least questioned it. He's starting to throw people under the bus to advance his own agenda.

It's a step well beyond harboring a nuke for deterrence. Now we're in straight-up "government killing The Boss" territory, something BB swore to disavow.

Well, there was no need for this game's plot then. If I just need to infer how he goes evil then the plot should have just ended at mgs3. Instead we're dragged along with the promise of men becoming demons only for it to be like lol you can imply he's going to become evil because of this. In fact mgs3 does a better job of this.

It'd ruin her entire arc to give her an outfit like that or her XOF one from the beginning. She's not supposed to look like an ordinary soldier, but a shell of one whose body has been defiled in retribution for her monstrous, sadistic acts. For the majority of the game, she's defined by penance - lying prostrate before those she had wronged, completely at their mercy. The nakedness is a symbolic offering of her body for judgment, as she clearly regrets her former life as an assassin without conscience. Her body, once an instrument of indiscriminate violence; is given a new, benevolent purpose through its use by the man she once tried to destroy; and only after she repents her sins and is transformed into an empathetic soul willing to die for others is she worthy of being called a 'human' and not an instrument of violence, symbolised by the ability to give her clothes only coming very late in the game, immediately before her departure.
Can't tell if this is satire or serious

Neiteio

Well I mean it's abrupt and we don't see it because we learn about it from listening to a five minute recording at the end of the game after doing random side ops.
Maybe it's best to look at it in reverse. We experience what the victims experience. We see firsthand what Venom loses. We see what the Diamond Dogs lose on Mother Base. We see the massacre at the hospital at Cyprus. All allowed by BB, who didn't question the plan he was presented. And we know why: He's scared. He's scared someone took down the original Mother Base and nearly killed him in GZ. He's scared his trust got the better of him and nearly ruined everything. Now people are tools to him like they are to Zero. A means to an end, which is the opposite of what The Boss wanted.

-Deimos

It'd ruin her entire arc to give her an outfit like that or her XOF one from the beginning. She's not supposed to look like an ordinary soldier, but a shell of one whose body has been defiled in retribution for her monstrous, sadistic acts. For the majority of the game, she's defined by penance - lying prostrate before those she had wronged, completely at their mercy. The nakedness is a symbolic offering of her body for judgment, as she clearly regrets her former life as an assassin without conscience. Her body, once an instrument of indiscriminate violence; is given a new, benevolent purpose through its use by the man she once tried to destroy; and only after she repents her sins and is transformed into an empathetic soul willing to die for others is she worthy of being called a 'human' and not an instrument of violence, symbolised by the ability to give her clothes only coming very late in the game, immediately before her departure.
Quality trolling being overlooked here.

Roni

Gold Member

Not sure if... trolling... Or not... trolling! *GASP* Can't decide!!!! KOJIMAAAAA!!!!!!

Really now, there's no point in calling this guy out for trolling. The final freaking chapter of the game states that EVERYTHING is open to interpretation.

Maybe it's best to look at it in reverse. We experience what the victims experience. We see firsthand what Venom loses. We see what the Diamond Dogs lose on Mother Base. We see the massacre at the hospital at Cyprus. All allowed by BB, who didn't question the plan he was presented. And we know why: He's scared. He's scared someone took down the original Mother Base and nearly killed him in GZ. He's scared his trust got the better of him and nearly ruined everything. Now people are tools to him like they are to Zero. A means to an end, which is the opposite of what The Boss wanted.

"Means to an end" lyrics from the theme song as well!

BadWolf

Well, there was no need for this game's plot then. If I just need to infer how he goes evil then the plot should have just ended at mgs3. Instead we're dragged along with the promise of men becoming demons only for it to be like lol you can imply he's going to become evil because of this. In fact mgs3 does a better job of this.

Can't say I agree since my opinion of BB has changed pretty much completely after this game.

As much as I like and agree with interpretation of Big Boss becoming a hypocrite and no better than the men who sent the Boss to die, the problem is the game itself never actually delves into it any meaningful way. It doesn't come across that that was the real message it was trying to tell about Big Boss, it's more like fridge logic from the fans.

Demon Venom punching the mirror is the only thing we have from his perspective and even that isn't solid. I've been hearing a lot more about how it was actually meant to be taken as Venom rejecting the idea that Big Boss is a demon, that he's a demon, and so he destroys that image and walks off fully invested and with a clear mind of what he has to do. Honestly this makes more sense to me and finally answers what the deal is with the other "good" Venom in the mirror than him punching out of anger of being played like a fiddle.

And then even that can be taken two different ways, either Venom is in denial and drinking BB kool-aid or the game is telling us BB was never the demon he was portrayed as.

"There are no facts, only interpretations." Ok Kojima I get it, you just didn't need to pull this shit in a damn interquel, don't pull it with a character that we already know and have seen firsthand act like a raging bloddthirsty dick. It just really hits home how Kojima gives no shits about the canon or the character consistency and just uses the series like playdough to fit whatever theme he thinks up at the time.

Ashura_MX

Ding ding ding

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/287700/leaderboards/502182

Ok, let's do this. Who is with me? We can get that ending before X-Mas 3015.

Lol, PC version hilariously broken

Alienous

Nothing has yet explained why MG2's Big Boss eats the dreams of war orphan children with glee, and that was the only question that isn't easy to connect the dots on.

Grinchy

Banned
The first main mission had already lost me due the fucking Skulls. Was riding D-Horse to the LZ and I have these speedy jackasses running past me and shooting at me.

Oh I got spotted. Let's watch these stupid enemies close up, pulling a weapon out of their asses.

Fuck the skulls, the worst enemy Kojima ever designed.

I re-did that segment over and over again, assuming there was some way to sneak past. I don't think there is. I think you are supposed to get spotted and have to run from them. I was frustrated too.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I re-did that segment over and over again, assuming there was some way to sneak past. I don't think there is. I think you are supposed to get spotted and have to run from them. I was frustrated too.

No. It is possible to sneak past them, you just have to be clever and patient.

Nothing has yet explained why MG2's Big Boss eats the dreams of war orphan children with glee, and that was the only question that isn't easy to connect the dots on.

Same reason he was so comfortable accepting Chico into his ranks in PW.

Naedtrax

Banned

You change the landing zone.. and you can skip them all together.

Chariot

Pretty easy to sneak past.
Just wait under the bridge until they slowly go down there themselves, then go up the bridge and just walk away.

NotLiquid

It's pretty weird how this is a point in MGSV that completely flew passed Kojima's head despite the stars aligning for a huge villain defining moment for Big Boss, especially with the insane marketing materials tried to emphasize the child soldiers as if they were a bigger deal than they are.

Big Boss employs child soldiers for MSF already in Peace Walker? Check. Sure, it was prettied up with a T-rating and other than Chico, Paz wasn't a "child", but Ground Zeroes already went down a darker road and no one knew Paz wasn't a kid before the ending of PW.
Kaz states in TPP that he likes kids and that he's going to set them up for a normal life after Big Boss saves them? Check.
Eli informing Big Boss that the children escaped from Mother Base because battle is "all they know"? Check.
Knowing that Big Boss becomes a child-soldier utilizing villain and that somewhere along the road he'll have a rift with Kaz? Check.

Even with all the drama of bringing up child soldiers there's never any real drama by having them. Should have been a moment in the game where Big Boss realizes the usefulness of them and starts training them for combat instead. Not to mention, this would have hit three birds with one stone. For one thing, the obvious tying together to Metal Gear 2. For the other, it'd actually be a good way for Kaz to start having reservations about Big Boss (and since Kojima is such a huge Breaking Bad fan, to draw a parallel here; it's like Jesse Pinkman being 110% against any people he works for exploiting or harming kids). Finally, and this is a point I haven't seen anyone suggest - it'd actually be the best possible way for Eli to start resenting Big Boss. Eli prides himself running his own little Kingdom of the Flies ordeal, but since battle is all those kids know, and since Big Boss is the best commander there is, what if the kids instead aligned themselves with Big Boss? Not only would this spark a more justified disdain in Eli against his dad, but it'd also be a good setup for Big Boss to have his "you're clearly the inferior one speech".

I can't believe that opportunity ran passed Kojima's head, and yet, somehow we're supposed to believe that the kids in MGSV are more belligerent than the adults are. Especially since Big Boss tried to emphasize that they were useful soldiers in MG2. After MGSV it boggles the mind that Big Boss could come to such a conclusion when those little shits were the only ones who questioned you out of the hundreds of faction soldiers you've fultoned throughout the game.

PensOwl

Banned

All of this feels like conjecture to me, mostly because I didn't get this feeling from anything in the game really. We see almost nothing of big boss, all the cutscenes shoe him as flippant, not scared. He exits on a motorcycle smoking a cigar with the passport of a black dude while trusting zero and ocelot of all people to help him accomplish building up a base again which was what almost got him killed the first time.
Meanwhile Venom the decoy is building an army in a secret base that nobody knows where it is because kaz had the foresight not to buy from KGB spies this time staying completely off the international grid by fooling around in Afghanistan and meet Skullface who doesn't really give a shit about big boss but we fight him anyways to save the world and stuff

I think the twist should've been in the middle of the game, we experience everything from venoms perspective, but it doesn't matter because we never see how he would react, how much the context of being betrayed by big boss affects him, so its hard to see the villainy. I have more to add to this, but I need time to formulate it properly

sflufan

Banned

Furthermore, when the nukes are disarmed, the nuclear symbols turn into PEACE symbols.

Yeah, Chapter 3: Peace and its cutscene is what you get when all the nukes are disarmed, something that "something we could have only achieved in a game".

Kazuhira

Surprised that people struggled with this,it's pretty easy to sneak past them.
Actually,i did it on my first try tbh.

Haunted

That's actually part of the game's groundbreaking exploration of race. A man of any ethnicity has the potential to be Big Boss' equal, but it's only after they're surgically altered to be indistinguishable from a middle-aged, bearded white guy that they're accepted as a protagonist. This genius meta-commentary also absolves Kojima the responsibility of including any notable black or Middle-Eastern characters in a game set in Angola and Afghanistan.
image.php

tYSFvWE.png

quality

I can't believe that opportunity ran passed Kojima's head, and yet, somehow we're supposed to believe that the kids in MGSV are more belligerent than the adults are.

I think there probably was going to be some element like this in the game Kojima envisioned. What with the shots of the kids in 'Sins of the Father' trailer that weren't in the final game* and Kojima's saying the game would deal with controversial elements ('if I get it wrong I'll have to stop making games' etc.)

Either he was shut down because of the content, or when it was clear he was running out of time the idea was scrapped and the assets were worked into the story.

TBH I would have liked to see the game actually make use of the child soldiers, rather than just putting them in cutscenes to tell the player how terrible it is to use them. They should been fulton-able like any other soldier (no special tech needed) and all had really excellent stats (justification being that they're basically blank slates and could be trained to do any task). Then the player, wanting the best possible army, would start recruiting more child soldiers, putting them to work etc.

* I know people say the shot of them being taught to use guns is in the game but they're using real weapons in the trailer, not fakes, so I think there was originally something more to it

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Do you all generally consider mission 51 to be canon? It wasn't included in the game, so I'm not sure whether it should be. It could be cut to time constraints, but it could also be cut because Kojima decided thats not where he wanted the story to go.

Also, there were two instances during my playthrough where I went down to Quiets cell to check up on her and she wasn't there. This was while Quiet was still a part of my unit, and far before mission 150 or 45 or whatever.

Is there any explanation for this, or easter eggs related to it? I looked around the room with NVG and didn't see her anywhere hiding. Is it to be assumed that she just broke out to chill around the base a while?

This is a really great post.

There's a cutscene tab under Logs...

However, like other tabs under Logs, there's nothing actually on it. Probably another example of how the game is incomplete.

It's a log. It will hold the captions for the latest cutscene you've watched - if you've watched one in the play session.

BadWolf

Do you all generally consider mission 51 to be canon? It wasn't included in the game, so I'm not sure whether it should be. It could be cut to time constraints, but it could also be cut because Kojima decided thats not where he wanted the story to go.

I don't personally, feels unnecessary.

JayEH

51 is canon to me because they not only made sure that everyone saw the mission but it's also mentioned in the timeline. But who cares about canon after this game anymore lol.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
OH also! Did you all see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMha13rHS9g

A modder gave themselves control during the opening hospital cutscene when you first wake, and there are some really interesting things you learn, like at the very start Ishmael is actually literally watching over you, then jumps into bed when a nurse comes in. Also, when the nurse gives you your flowers, she takes them from Ishmaels side, which has a BUNCH of boqouets of the flowers, further symbolizing that he must be Big Boss. What's crazy is that this is all modeled out in the room, even though typically the player should never be able to see it. But if you think about how the nurse goes over there, and comes back with flowers, it actually makes sense.

Can't tell if this is satire or serious

Regardless, there are people who essentially think this way.

I snuck past them my first time, but it wasn't a clean stealth job at all. I had to chuck a dozen magazines while sitting up on a small cliff.

brau

51 is canon to me because they not only made sure that everyone saw the mission but it's also mentioned in the timeline. But who cares about canon after this game anymore lol.

lol.

Who cares about MGS. Kojima is gone and so is the series. :)

Hope that platinum makes some good games outside of the saga. Its for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom