• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Metal Gear Solid V Spoiler Thread | Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

This thread and the spoiler thread before it are the most posts I've done in a single thread. It's going to happen again, I can feel it.
I don't think I even posted in an MGSV thread before this thread, yet here I am atop the wall.

The launch week hype was real. I blame Quiet's Theme.

Too busy playing and enjoying the game rather than complain about it. I will say this though that this has been the most enjoyable thread on GAF in a long ass while for me to get through. It's almost reaching the point of people just plain hating the entire MGS series.

Neiteio

MGSV is probably the first time I've fully loved an MGS game. I like the story, and it finally has the gameplay to go with it. A harmonious balance where I'm rarely interrupted, as well (aside from those pesky chopper rides). Good stuff all around.

Ishida

Banned
MGSV is probably the first time I've fully loved an MGS game. I like the story, and it finally has the gameplay to go with it. A harmonious balance where I'm rarely interrupted, as well (aside from those pesky chopper rides). Good stuff all around.

I'm the complete opposite. MGSV is the first time I've fully disliked a Metal Gear Solid game. I don't feel any desire to keep playing or to restart it.

What comment?
I'm assuming the post is referring to the Konami CM claiming that fans "haven't done everything" in the game after users inquired about the excised scenes. In truth, I think he was just referencing the possibility that "Chapter 3: Peace" might actually tied with the FOB component and MGO3 which launches October 6th. We already known there's a ending cinematic regarding the nuclear deterrence after being datamined from the retail files.

Before we go, check for your name on the wall of shame!
First time I've ever been featured on a wall of shame. Interesting.

And the nuclear disarmament has Big Boss monologuing about how he needs to drive out the demon inside of him.

So really, nothing about it suggests it's a "non-canon" ending. Ocelot even says that "upholding a nuke free world" would be harder than reaching disarmament.

My suggestion earlier

SPOILER: Metal Gear Solid V Spoiler Thread | Three has come to

I maintain my theory that Venom's hypnotism forced him to side with BB.

Continuation of my post from the previous page:

I believe, considering his uncharacteristic traits, that he isn't really a mental replica of Big Boss, just a guy with a huge amount of hypnotic suggestion and reports on BB, who believes he is BB and is programmed to ignore things like missing details in "memories" or feelings of disconnectedness. I believe that he is meant to follow Kaz as a "role model for BB", Zero wants Kaz to take in the phantom, so it makes sense Venom would defer to the orders of others in determining "what Big Boss would do". He even explicitly asks for guidance.

So I believe that the no nuke ending is canon (they made it, and it actually ties into the life of MG1 and 2), but at some point, once Big Boss figures out Venom would be more useful as a direct pawn, and discovers the nature of Venom's programming, he takes advantage of it. In my opinion, if he was an actual replica, he wouldn't be happy to hear he was a "fake". Big Boss would reject that immediately, no amount of speeches about "sharing the legend" would make him back down on that.

So that is why I think it is clear that Venom can't be an actual replica in thought, his "sense" could not be changed. But his will could be forced to "follow what Big Boss would do, as told by those who knew him". At first it was Kaz, but what better true role model to follow, and voice to listen for orders from, than none other than Big Boss himself.

I think Venom only snaps out of it after years of mental and physical torment to toil away for Big Boss, and perhaps he was starting the Outer Heaven uprising early? Or maybe he decides "fuck BB", shortly before his death, but I think he had little free will to defy Big Boss for years, and once he may have realized the hypocrisy of BB's use of him as a pawn, he rejected Big Boss.

I like the theory that Venom was told to keep Big Boss' cover by trying to hide his similarities, but Venom started jeopardizing the mission and wanted Big Boss to be caught. I think it works better as part of the "revenge" theme if Venom turns against Big Boss after Big Boss orders him to dissapear and remove all evidence of his existence to protect his own ass. It's what "I" would like to have done, and since Medic is "me" its my canon. My legacy.

RK9039

I'm the complete opposite. MGSV is the first time I've fully disliked a Metal Gear Solid game. I don't feel any desire to keep playing or to restart it.

Agreed. This is the first time I've been disappointed by a MGS game, so much so that I don't think I want to do another play through. Usually after beating any of the MGS games for the first time I replay it straight away.

This time I'm just waiting for MGO3 so that I can forget about the singleplayer.

I'm even more disappointed in V than I was in 4 (the latter at least had a story even though I kind of hated it) but I'm having an impossible amount of fun with the moment-to-moment gameplay. It's simultaneously in the running for a top 15 game for me and also one of my biggest disappointments. This is a weird game.

Has anything else major been dug out of the game data beyond the 'mission 51' and disarmament scenes?

Second playthrough atm this game is fun, I love how one little mistake happens and shit gets real lol I just spray , blow up people when that happens. Although It's wise to run away at times.

I don't wholly dislike it, I just was massively dissapointed by the story and some important parts of the gameplay (not the mechanics, instead stuff like boss encounters. chase scenes, interior environments and tight claustrophobic stealth sequences)

Agreed. This is the first time I've been disappointed by a MGS game, so much so that I don't think I want to do another play through. Usually after beating any of the MGS games for the first time I replay it straight away.

This time I'm just waiting for MGO3 so that I can forget about the singleplayer.

I'll continue to play it, just because it still has good mechanics and makes for a reasonable "busy game", but actually restarting it is unlikely except an obvious PC and mods play through. One thing small that I'd like in particular is I remember a GZ mod that made the first person view more like the game's prior to 4, with the gun to the side and not aiming down sights. That and a wider camera view would be interesting to use, along with the amusing mod to replace Ishmael's model with Big Boss' Ground Zeroes model. That and switch Quiet and Ocelot's models.

I'm even more disappointed in V than I was in 4 (the latter at least had a story even though I kind of hated it) but I'm having an impossible amount of fun with the moment-to-moment gameplay. It's simultaneously in the running for a top 15 game for me and also one of my biggest disappointments. This is a weird game.

Has anything else major been dug out of the game data beyond the 'mission 51' and disarmament scenes?

It is kind of crazy that. But since story matters so much to me, especially in MGS, even on its gameplay I'd really be unable to list it in my top 15, maybe to 30. It could have been number 1 though, I swear.

RK9039

I'll continue to play it, just because it still has good mechanics and makes for a reasonable "busy game", but actually restarting it is unlikely except an obvious PC and mods play through. One thing small that I'd like in particular is I remember a GZ mod that made the first person view more like the game's prior to 4, with the gun to the side and not aiming down sights. That and a wider camera view would be interesting to use, along with the amusing mod to replace Ishmael's model with Big Boss' Ground Zeroes model. That and switch Quiet and Ocelot's models.

Yeah I'm waiting for those mods as well, the GZ first person mod was actually pretty decent.

Ok so I finally finished 46. So fucking confused. The "Big Boss" who is Snake's commander in Metal Gear is Venom Snake, and the Big Boss who shows up at the graveyard at the end of 4 is the real Big Boss? Is that what we're to believe here?

How does he know the things the boss does? The same skills, ect? Goddamn this.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Ok so I finally finished 46. So fucking confused. The "Big Boss" who is Snake's commander in Metal Gear is Venom Snake, and the Big Boss who shows up at the graveyard at the end of 4 is the real Big Boss? Is that what we're to believe here?

How does he know the things the boss does? The same skills
, ect? Goddamn this.

The first part is Ocelot super hypno-therapy (ltd). As per the later? Skills and all that? Apparently the no name, pushed out the way, mask wearing Medic nobody gives two shits about in the helicopter with BB and Kaz is actually ANOTHER incredibly talented and charismatic super competent and determined ultra soldier.

However psychotic or completely believable this is to you as the player apparently varies WILDLY as evidenced by this thread. lol

How does he know the things the boss does? The same skills, ect? Goddamn this.

No. "\Big Boss: your commander in MG1 is the real Big Boss. Big Boss: The Villain at the end is Venom Snake. Weird coincidence: they even have separate radio frequencies in MG1.

Big Boss at the end of 4 is the real one, because Venom dies in MG1.

Venom is supposed to be one of your best units in Peace Walker. As Snake was A++ in those games, and some soldiers were A++ or higher, he's theoretically as skilled as Big Boss. He also could've learned some of his skills through the personality hypnosis they were performing on him during the coma.

The first part is Ocelot super hypno-therapy (ltd). As per the later? Skills and all that? Apparently the no name, pushed out the way, mask wearing Medic nobody gives two shits about in the helicopter with BB and Kaz is actually ANOTHER incredibly talented and charismatic super competent and determined ultra soldier.

However psychotic or completely believable this is to you as the player apparently varies WILDLY as evidenced by this thread. lol

I gotta be honest with you, I both simultaneously hate and love this. I like it because it finally makes the connection to the rest of the series, but I hate it because its so fucking batshit bonkers and makes this game seem so much less. Not being the real boss this whole time...sucks.

No. "\Big Boss: your commander in MG1 is the real Big Boss. Big Boss: The Villain at the end is Venom Snake. Weird coincidence: they even have separate radio frequencies in MG1.

Big Boss at the end of 4 is the real one, because Venom dies in MG1.

Venom is supposed to be one of your best units in Peace Walker. As Snake was A++ in those games, and some soldiers were A++ or higher, he's theoretically as skilled as Big Boss. He also could've learned some of his skills through the personality hypnosis they were performing on him during the coma.

Wow thanks that is a big help.

sappyday

I gotta be honest with you, I both simultaneously hate and love this. I like it because it finally makes the connection to the rest of the series, but I hate it because its so fucking batshit bonkers and makes this game seem so much less. Not being the real boss this whole time...sucks.

That connection is very minimal. Since the only thing you get out of it is that that low poly boss sprite at the end of MG is actually NOT Big Boss.

You think the kids in the 80's playing MG would be starstruck if we told them that the final boss is actually THEM. They are fighting the embodiment of them as a player. That 2D sprite had more meaning that we ever known. Kojima the mastermind.

That connection is very minimal. Since the only thing you get out of it is that that low poly boss sprite at the end of MG is actually NOT Big Boss.

You think the kids in the 80's playing MG would be starstruck if we told them that the final boss is actually THEM. They are fighting the embodiment of them as a player. That 2D sprite had more meaning that we ever known. Kojima the mastermind.

Even minimal is fine. But it clears up the Eli stuff a little better, and the Ocelot/Kaz thing at the end where they say that they'll each take one of the bosses sons.

Now to finish the Paz stuff.

dadjumper

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but can someone explain the whole "V has come to" thing? I assume this was being said over the phone to Cipher, but it doesn't make sense to me since it was Big Boss that had woken up from his real coma and not Venom waking up from his induced coma, right? So why do they call him V? Is this explained?

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but can someone explain the whole "V has come to" thing? I assume this was being said over the phone to Cipher, but it doesn't make sense to me since it was Big Boss that had woken up from his real coma and not Venom waking up from his induced coma, right? So why do they call him V? Is this explained?

Venom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom