• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
tumblr_nuhz7gP2b41udegjlo1_500.jpg

Extreme-Asian-Announcement-At-The-Podium-Reaction-Gif.gif

Guest Starring:
The GAF Parasite Unit

FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE JUST FINISHED THE GAME
1. Here's Mission 51 - now stop asking about what happened to Eli
2. Here's the super secret "third ending" no one will get because we're all nuclear warmongerers
3. Quiet is gone. Forever. Move on. UPDATE 11/10/15 - You can bring Quiet back by replaying her mission seven times on either PC or console. Now you can frolick with her in the rain all you want.

PREVIOUS THREADS
Chapter 1: Revengeance
Chapter 2: Burgers

With that said,
READY
SET
WHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Scott667

I asked this in the last MGS5 Spoiler thread, but it got buried in the last couple of pages:

I just got the Truth tapes and now I'm even more lost than I was an hour ago! Not because of the body double thing (that was hinted at in the prologue), but instead from Skull Faces motivation to attack Snake. I get that he hated Zero for a number of reasons, but the only connection to Snake is doing the XOF secret work on operation Snake Eater.

Now, I was willing to just take that as bad writing (Snake didn't have any idea about XOF, so why try to get revenge on him?), but then Skull Face actually acknowledges that Snake didn't know about XOF, and that he has no reason to hate him (in the Paz interrogation tape), and instead that he'll just attack him anyway. So.... why exactly does he blow up MSF?

Roni

Gold Member
I asked this in the last MGS5 Spoiler thread, but it got buried in the last couple of pages:

I just got the Truth tapes and now I'm even more lost than I was an hour ago! Not because of the body double thing (that was hinted at in the prologue), but instead from Skull Faces motivation to attack Snake. I get that he hated Zero for a number of reasons, but the only connection to Snake is doing the XOF secret work on operation Snake Eater.

Now, I was willing to just take that as bad writing (Snake didn't have any idea about XOF, so why try to get revenge on him?), but then Skull Face actually acknowledges that Snake didn't know about XOF, and that he has no reason to hate him (in the Paz interrogation tape), and instead that he'll just attack him anyway. So.... why exactly does he blow up MSF?

In my understanding attacking Big Boss was a stepping stone in Skull Face's plan. Skull Face knew Big Boss hated Zero at that point his life while Zero very much still cared about him. At least two very advantageous scenarios could emerge from attacking Big Boss:

Big Boss might find and kill Zero for Skull Face. (Didn't pan out since Big Boss was left in a coma)
Zero might slip up and reveal himself by going out of his way to help/avenge Big Boss.

But Skull Face wasn't relying exclusively on that plan. It was just another thread in a large parallel of schemes. In the end, it was Paz that led Skull Face to Zero and the attack on Mother Base was largely gratuitous and led to his downfall before achieving his endgame. Skull Face had already managed to kill Zero 7 years prior to The Phantom Pain.

In the end, Venom was only able to prevent Skull Face from stopping globalization. Never realizing he had already succeeded in killing Zero and, consequently, setting Venom and Big Boss down a path of revenge against a computer.

I'm just gonna jump right back in!

No, I'm saying it's obvious which way follows the larger structure.

Have you actually seen what happens when you pull the trigger on Skull Face? Venom fires and we get a flash of him, back in medical garb. You still get the Kaz scene, it doesn't replace it, it's just an expression of Venom's anger at Skull Face.

I'd argue it actually fits better than if you just stand there aiming at him for 10 seconds.

Also, this doesn't get brought up very often, but I think that giving the player a choice when it comes to sparing Quiet was a stupid, pointless thing to do. What does putting that choice in the game accomplish exactly?

Neiteio

I'm just gonna jump right back in!

Have you actually seen what happens when you pull the trigger on Skull Face? Venom fires and we get a flash of him, back in medical garb. You still get the Kaz scene, it doesn't replace it, it's just an expression of Venom's anger at Skull Face.

I'd argue it actually fits better than if you just stand there aiming at him for 10 seconds.

Also, this doesn't get brought up very often, but I think that giving the player a choice when it comes to sparing Quiet was a stupid, pointless thing to do. What does putting that choice in the game accomplish exactly?
I agree. All of the choices are kind of arbitrary in that sense. I'm also surprised Kojima was willing to risk players squandering Quiet.

You raise an interesting point with the flash of anger. I'll concede that in that moment, the player can decide how vengeful he's feeling.

However, I maintain that between the Skull Face vision, Paz tapes and general tendency toward mercy, Venom softens throughout the game, and mortal enemy aside, was softer than most in the first place.

The thread title is like the game, because it disappoints me.

Oh well.

Hey guys what does Solid Snake put on his sundae?

BANANOMACHINES

Scott667

In my understanding attacking Big Boss was a stepping stone in Skull Face's plan. Skull Face knew Big Boss hated Zero at that point his life while Zero very much still cared about him. At least two very advantageous scenarios could emerge from attacking Big Boss:

Big Boss might find and kill Zero for Skull Face. (Didn't pan out since Big Boss was left in a coma)
Zero might slip up and reveal himself by going out of his way to help/avenge Big Boss.

But Skull Face wasn't relying exclusively on that plan. It was just another thread in a large parallel of schemes. In the end, it was Paz that led Skull Face to Zero and the attack on Mother Base was largely gratuitous and led to his downfall before achieving his endgame. Skull Face had already managed to kill Zero 7 years prior to The Phantom Pain.

In the end, Venom was only able to prevent Skull Face from stopping globalization. Never realizing he had already succeeded in killing Zero and, consequently, setting Venom and Big Boss down a path of revenge against a computer.

Thanks for the explanation. While its a shame that there wasn't a more meaningful reason, at least it doesn't feel like as much of a plot hole now.

Neiteio

PSY・S;180581944 said:
wait i still haven't seen the nuclear disarmament cutscene
No one has, or at least not in game. You can find it on YouTube. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are requirements to the effect of most (maybe all?) players disarming their nukes. Or maybe that's just the prevailing theory at the moment.

There's also the possibility this cutscene would be preceded by the "Ch. 3: PEACE" title card people dug up in the files.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Explain this to me, how does Skull Face's "no one can speak English!" parasites work? Haven't played the game yet, but I know that's his big plan.

Does it ever explain how something like that is possible? How would the parasites know? There's plenty of false-conjugates and borrowed words that things would get murky I think.

Neiteio

I'm warming up to the idea that Incredibly Rational and Calm Ocelot (or IRCO, as I'll call him for short) is, in fact, just what the real Ocelot is like when he's not playing the part of a double/triple/quadruple agent that may or may not be under the influence of a severed hand.

Kind of makes him seem more badass if he can pull off an act like the other games while being this cunning tactician underneath.

But he's still kinda boring, though.

Thanks for the explanation. While its a shame that there wasn't a more meaningful reason, at least it doesn't feel like as much of a plot hole now.

It does seem pretty weird that the motivation behind the GZ attack is so poorly explained and explored, seeing as how it's supposed to be the driving force behind everything you're doing in TPP.

I still think the original plan was for Chico to turn into Quiet but they cut it out after it became the running gag.

All those lines about the parasite turning males into females had to have gone somewhere.

Explain this to me, how does Skull Face's "no one can speak English!" parasites work? Haven't played the game yet, but I know that's his big plan.

Does it ever explain how something like that is possible? How would the parasites know? There's plenty of false-conjugates and borrowed words that things would get murky I think.

Search for Code Talker's cassette tapes on youtube if you really want to know the minutiae of how they work. It's explained in painstaking detail.

(Bringing over a question from the very end of the last thread.) Has anything else major been dug out of the game data beyond mission 51 and disarmament scenes?

Search for Code Talker's cassette tapes on youtube if you really want to know the minutiae of how they work. It's explained in painstaking detail.

Yup. In a nutshell, certain vowels and consanants and shit will 'activate' the parasites...or something....let Code Talker explain it to you. He's a beautiful creature.

Neiteio

The parasites and how they work are among the more thoroughly explained concepts in the MGS universe.

Drink a ton of caffeine and then listen to the Code Talker tapes. Also make sure you have several hours of free time.

Top Bottom