• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

Yeah I maxed out Strength, but I was too much of a cheap bastard to fuse beyond caps. I even beat the Reaper once in my first playthrough, but I think if I took the time to grind him more I would have been able to hit the 80's no problem.

I farmed the reaper 3 times on Flu season. Got me to level 81 and was satisfied with that for the most part.

Its not till NG+ that I'll want level 90+ anyways.

I dunno how to feel about unlocking Sataneal. I feel like as a reward for finishing the game, he should come with you as level 1 and doesn't unlock his immunities till level 70/80 to balance him.

I farmed the reaper 3 times on Flu season. Got me to level 81 and was satisfied with that for the most part.

Its not till NG+ that I'll want level 90+ anyways.

I dunno how to feel about unlocking Sataneal. I feel like as a reward for finishing the game, he should come with you as level 1 and doesn't unlock his immunities till level 70/80 to balance him.

Didn't they do the same kind of thing with Izanagi no Okami in P4? It would be a little weird if they gave you the godkiller persona right at the start of NG+

daveo42

Banned
Didn't they do the same kind of thing with Izanagi no Okami in P4? It would be a little weird if they gave you the godkiller persona right at the start of NG+

Eh...NG+ always feels like more of a fuck around run of a Persona game. You got a ton of cash, high level persona at your fingertips, all your social stats, and tons of free time.

Femto.

THE IGOR TWIST WAS GREAT!!!

Game of the Generation.

Also, fuck the writers for making me think I got a bad ending. I felt so heart broken lol

Thud

Eh...NG+ always feels like more of a fuck around run of a Persona game. You got a ton of cash, high level persona at your fingertips, all your social stats, and tons of free time.

Yep. NG+ is so you can tell Igor and King Moron to fuck off at the first encounter.

Femto.

After Lavenza talks to you in the Velvet Room, I was left confused about one thing.

I know the Fake gave Goro his powers, but did the real Igor pick the MC before the Fake took over or was everything done by the fake?

FluxWaveZ

After Lavenza talks to you in the Velvet Room, I was left confused about one thing.

I know the Fake gave Goro his powers, but did the real Igor pick the MC before the Fake took over or was everything done by the fake?

Based on stuff that Yaldabaoth said about "You were right, Igor," and that it was meant to be a game, I'm pretty sure real Igor picked out the MC himself.

filthymitts

Neo Member

Think the Real Igor™ picked the MC before the fake.

Guess Who

Banned
Based on stuff that Yaldabaoth said about "You were right, Igor," and that it was meant to be a game, I'm pretty sure real Igor picked out the MC himself.

Think the Real Igor™ picked the MC before the fake.

I agree. I also think the game does a real shit job making this clear (maybe it's the localization?), but my impression is that the "game" was between Igor and Yaldabaoth (because, uh, why would Yaldabaoth set up the "game" all by himself and then rig it to the side he wants to win anyway?).

THE IGOR TWIST WAS GREAT!!!

Game of the Generation.

Also, fuck the writers for making me think I got a bad ending. I felt so heart broken lol
That whole sequence with the protagonist getting shot and the game cutting to everyone's reaction to the suicide just made me say "What the fuck did I do wrong" out loud over and over till they got to the Ryuji "just as planned" moment

Femto.

That whole sequence with the protagonist getting shot and the game cutting to everyone's reaction to the suicide just made me say "What the fuck did I do wrong" out loud over and over till they got to the Ryuji "just as planned" moment

I was talking about the bit when everyone was disappearing when Mementos merged with the real world. I was playing for nearly 12 hours at that point and was about to have a fit lol

But yeah I had a similar reaction with that scene too.

filthymitts

Neo Member
I had the SAME reaction. I was sitting there thinking about my choices trying to figure out where I went wrong then when Ryuji said that I was like YOU BRILLIANT ASSHOLES

daveo42

Banned
I agree. I also think the game does a real shit job making this clear (maybe it's the localization?), but my impression is that the "game" was between Igor and Yaldabaoth (because, uh, why would Yaldabaoth set up the "game" all by himself and then rig it to the side he wants to win anyway?).

That is totally the case. It was Igor vs Yaldabaoth, though I'm not sure who proposed the idea of a game. Probably Yaldabaoth. It would also make sense the real Igor would have chosen you in advance because he made the Assistant Morgana to find you and bring you to the heart of Mementos. The contract tho...that was with Yaldabaoth based on the opening of the game because that's using fake Igor's voice.

In the Persona series isn't Igor/Philemon always in some kind of game against some malevolent deities to prove that humanity isn't that shit ? (Nyarlathotep, Nyx, Izanami-no-Okami, Yaldabaoth).

A funny thing I thought about when I played P5 and its quite clear "deadline" system, from the Persona 4 post-mortem on Gamasutra (super interesting to read) :
What went wrong said:
2. Real-time weather design: Unlike in the previous title, Persona 4's time limit for each dungeon was affected by the in-game weather. We did this with the belief that such a system would create the feeling of urgency, since the player didn't know when damage-causing fog would appear.

However, when we implemented it in the game, players were inclined to make dungeon investigation their first priority. Their mentality was, "If I don’t know when the fog appears, I should finish the dungeon as soon as possible." As a result, dungeon crawling and working on the inter-character Social Links, which are equally important, became completely separate and imbalanced.

I think P5 is far better on that point that P4 because the deadline are clear from the start, but it still hasn't hit the sweet spot imho, I think that they should be a bit more lax with how time is managed and allow you to do some activities / SLink upgrades after going to the Metaverse (yeah I know Kawakami). I played a lot more Palace => SLink / activities => Mementos => SLink than before but I still tried to hit a big milestone in each Palace instead of progressing more calmly.

Aki-at

I was talking about the bit when everyone was disappearing when Mementos merged with the real world. I was playing for nearly 12 hours at that point and was about to have a fit lol

But yeah I had a similar reaction with that scene too.

Yeah this bit I thought maybe I got the bad end, I even researched beforehand to avoid it but still thought with the gravity of the situation I done goofed, especially with Makoto saying "where did we go wrong Morgana?"

Glad that unlike in some other Persona game where the big bad just appears right at the end then boss fight, the fake Igor got a decent amount of screen time.

Guess Who

Banned
In the Persona series isn't Igor/Philemon always in some kind of game against some malevolent deities to prove that humanity isn't that shit ? (Nyarlathotep, Nyx, Izanami-no-Okami, Yaldabaoth).

In P3/P4, there's never an explicit statement that Igor and the "evil god" villain are deliberately playing against each other - Igor basically just presents himself as your personal guide to enlightenment. The Igor/Yaldabaoth game seems like a more deliberate callback to Philemon and Nyarlathotep's game in P2.

FluxWaveZ

For Nyx and Izanami, it was no game. Pretty sure they actually had no interaction with the Velvet Room entities, and were just doing their own thing in accordance with what humanity desired.

Glad that unlike in some other Persona game where the big bad just appears right at the end then boss fight, the fake Igor got a decent amount of screen time.

That's a big part of why I prefer Yaldabaoth to Izanami: you interact with him throughout the game and, right from the moment you meet him, you feel that something's off but you're not quite sure what (whether it's his voice, the attitude of the twins, the look of the VR, etc.).

I like when, near the end of the game, he starts talking all misanthropically, which makes you as the player and the twins go, "...What?" A bit more build up towards his real attitude towards humans earlier on, eventually going to the "You failed; screw humanity" speech, could have worked.

Lelcar

I have one question about the 11/20 reveal. How did they find an exact cognitive replica of the protagonist in Sae's Palace?

Aki-at

That's a big part of why I prefer Yaldabaoth to Izanami: you interact with him throughout the game and, right from the moment you meet him, you feel that something's off but you're not quite sure what (whether it's his voice, the attitude of the twins, the look of the VR, etc.).

I like when, near the end of the game, he starts talking all misanthropically, which makes you as the player and the twins go, "...What?" A bit more build up towards his real attitude towards humans earlier on, eventually going to the "You failed; screw humanity" speech, could have worked.

It definitely helped soften the blow of the twist since I got spoiled on him being a fake, of all the things to get spoiled of the game I got the major plot element haha. The writing was better too I found, he didn't come across as just saying fancy words for reasons like JRPG deity villains are but laid out his reasons and why. I think it was only during the final boss fight is when he actually started to get a bit loopy.

I have one question about the 11/20 reveal. How did they find an exact cognitive replica of the protagonist in Sae's Palace?

Sae just came from talking to him, so she herself put him in there.

NotLiquid

I have to say, I think this game by far has the most explosive finale of the entire series and to me that makes it my favorite Persona story out of the ones I've played (haven't played 1/2). With such an evolving story of mixed emotions that evoked so many feelings of happiness, sadness, anger and despair within me, it felt incredible to have the world cheer you on in a Persona game. You were no longer just secret heroes - this time I felt the world behind my back, and as cheesy as that may be, it made me shed a tear when the world came together to cheer for us and help in summoning Satanael.

I just kind of wish the actual post-script and the events of you getting out of juvie after two months was a bit more "exciting" considering what a shitty card it is that you were dealt with. It was a really tepid let down. The ending itself was nice though, I'm glad it's not as bittersweet as P4's absolute leave, in some ways it leaves things up to imagination (such as, let's say, you romance someone in your party - you can imagine a potential scene after the fact with them once protag inevitably returns "home").

Since they were in Sae's cognition and she didn't realize she had entered the Metaverse, her cognition believed that protag was still inside that interrogation room.

Lelcar

Sae just came from talking to him, so she herself put him in there.

Since they were in Sae's cognition and she didn't realize she had entered the Metaverse, her cognition believed that protag was still inside that interrogation room.

OOOHHH, wow ok I get it. So the real MC was in the real world convincing Sae to take the phone and then when she left she showed Akechi the phone and that put Akechi unknowingly in the Metaverse BUT ALSO it changed Sae's cognition so that another MC would be in her Palace's interrogation room.

So I guess Akechi never noticed what world he was in? If he was tricked into the Metaverse, when he went to leave wouldn't he notice that he wasn't in the real world? Or wait, did Futaba control it from the laptop?

Aki-at

OOOHHH, wow ok I get it. So the real MC was in the real world convincing Sae to take the phone and then when she left she showed Akechi the phone and that put Akechi unknowingly in the Metaverse BUT ALSO it changed Sae's cognition so that another MC would be in her Palace's interrogation room.

So I guess Akechi never noticed what world he was in? If he was tricked into the Metaverse, when he went to leave wouldn't he notice that he wasn't in the real world? Or wait, did Futaba control it from the laptop?

You leave the metaverse the same way you enter it. Remember the surrounding area for the exit is the same in both worlds, it's like how Ryuji said the first time they left Kamoshida's palace, because everything looked normal they didn't realise they actually left.

NotLiquid

I have to say as fucking awesome as the Igor twist was I feel kinda sad knowing that I actually liked Igor's newer VA over his previous ones. It felt intimidating in a way that was befitting for the aesthetic of this game.

Lelcar

Oh, a component to this that I'm missing is that Sae entered her own Palace, but where does that fit in?

Actually, thinking on it, Sae and Akechi had to of entered the Metaverse at the same time since the phone was in her hand. Ok, I think all the confusion is gone now

Szadek

The twist with igor was pretty cool, but the game pretty much gave it away right away by calling the MC Joker (if you played persona 2).
The strength arcana more or less confirmed it as well.

I have to say as fucking awesome as the Igor twist was I feel kinda sad knowing that I actually liked Igor's newer VA over his previous ones. It felt intimidating in a way that was befitting for the aesthetic of this game.

I felt kinda annoyed that they used the same old voice since the guy already passed away. Its time to let another guy voice Igor. The fake should have stayed fake but the old Igor should have changed voices imho.

I missed his comments when fusing stuff with the real Igor.

carlsojo

Did anyone NOT see the Akechi twist coming, even if they missed the "pancakes" significance?

Dude was a creeeeeeeep. And the way he would laugh to himself after every fight. And yell IT'LL BE A MASSACRE before all out attacks.

Voice actor did a great job portraying a psychopath. I loved how he would scream PERSONAAAA in the most horrifying way possible during his actual boss fight.

Finally finished it! Great game, I liked this more than 4. How are the other romance options? I went with Makoto because of her awakening scene. She felt pretty perfect in the context of the story.

LiK

Finally finished it! Great game, I liked this more than 4. How are the other romance options? I went with Makoto because of her awakening scene. She felt pretty perfect in the context of the story.

I didn't have enough in my skill rank to complete her in my first run. :( Will def do it in my second run tho. Makoto is so well developed that I feel like this game could've easily been about her instead. Love her and her English VO so much.

NotLiquid

Did anyone NOT see the Akechi twist coming, even if they missed the "pancakes" significance?

Dude was a creeeeeeeep. And the way he would laugh to himself after every fight. And yell IT'LL BE A MASSACRE before all out attacks.

Voice actor did a great job portraying a psychopath. I loved how he would scream PERSONAAAA in the most horrifying way possible during his actual boss fight.

I talked about this with my girlfriend the other day - the pancakes line felt way too overt of a hint for me to assume he was the bad guy at first. I was thinking he might have been some kind of accidental interloper cause rehashing the bad-guy detective story from the previous game felt lazy... but the moment they rush his introduction as a part of the Phantom Thieves he feels like he's way too much on auto pilot. I know some people like to say Haru didn't bring anything to the table (even though I contend that notion a little bit as I feel she brings actual heart to the group, as well as her representing the good nature of the high "social class" that the Phantom Thieves risk rebelling against indiscriminately), but Akechi brought way too much to the group, so much so to the point that I found it way too suspicious how calculated and sterile everything became. It's like he served literally every purpose that we already had a varied team for, and his abilities felt shoehorned in too quickly - so imagine my surprise when the team actually caught onto that, explaining their seeming lack of proactivity to the bullshit he tried peddling.

And then there was that fucking creepy all-out attack screen. He had way too many warning flags. After Adachi in P4 I thought this was a lame twist telegraphed way too hard, but imagine my surprise that the actual twist was that the protagonists knew all along. Now THAT was something I did not expect, and a pretty amazing justification of telling the story in flashbacks. For a game that is so verbal and feeling the need to spell out it's intention at every turn I was frankly surprised at that turn of events, never quite expected such agency and awareness from characters in a JRPG of this kind.

Weiss

Banned

I think that was the point. Everything about Akechi in Sae's palace is designed so hard around making you like and accept him in the gang that it loops around and becomes suspicious.

I think there should have been more mementos in latter half of the game. Sad how after Sae it just died out completely. More canon mementos too to fresh out the plot and give hints on fake Igor.

I hate how Haru is introduced so late and has such a high barrier on her S links. I couldn't get her past 8 because of it. :(

If only they gave you a week after your arrest then a lot of S links could have been completed. Total BS how they skipped over Jan and half of Feb to rush to the ending.

robotrock

Banned
Halfway into this game I started thinking Akechi was a robot, not even a traitor. I just started thinking about how crazy it was that Persona 3 had these crazy advanced robots and then it's nowhere else in the series. So I assumed maybe one would show up at 5 and I definitely thought it would be him because he was mad weird.

Never thought he was the traitor until the game wanted me to but that's because I'm an idiot

Catvoca

Banned
Holy fuck the Igor twist and everything leading up to it was good

c747d65e9620408da41c471e41f36d98.480x270x183.gif

Also I somehow managed to max every confidant on my first playthrough without a guide which felt pretty amazing. I probably gave the fortune teller like a million yen by the end of the game.

SerRodrik

Does anyone know if you can fight Caroline and Justine or the reaper on 12/24 of NG+, or is there a cutoff point?

Regarding the Igor twist, there was a topic about Igor's new VA a while back that was inexplicably filled with black bars, which tipped me off that something was up. It was pretty frustrating.

carlsojo

I think there should have been more mementos in latter half of the game. Sad how after Sae it just died out completely. More canon mementos too to fresh out the plot and give hints on fake Igor.

I hate how Haru is introduced so late and has such a high barrier on her S links. I couldn't get her past 8 because of it. :(

If only they gave you a week after your arrest then a lot of S links could have been completed. Total BS how they skipped over Jan and half of Feb to rush to the ending.

I had the same problem with Haru. OH BOY I finally have time to hang out with Haru.... I need rank 5 proficiency? Fuck you, game!

Thud

Does anyone know if you can fight Caroline and Justine or the reaper on 12/24 of NG+, or is there a cutoff point?

Regarding the Igor twist, there was a topic about Igor's new VA a while back that was inexplicably filled with black bars, which tipped me off that something was up. It was pretty frustrating.

The deadline is 12/22 for both.

Xeteh

Halfway into this game I started thinking Akechi was a robot, not even a traitor. I just started thinking about how crazy it was that Persona 3 had these crazy advanced robots and then it's nowhere else in the series. So I assumed maybe one would show up at 5 and I definitely thought it would be him because he was mad weird.

Never thought he was the traitor until the game wanted me to but that's because I'm an idiot

I'm normally someone who never gets the twist until it happens in movies or games but I can honestly say that I knew Akechi was going to fuck me over at some point in the game in that first scene with him and Sae. Something about him just felt off. I knew I was on the right path during the pancakes bit and thought he was the one with the black mask. Him starting to side with the Phantom Thieves publicly made me think I could be wrong but I was still pretty sure I had him figured out.

NotLiquid

On one hand the fact that Haru's Social Link has high proficiency requirement sucks cause more people won't experience how great she is

On the other hand getting great things requires work

Eblo

Just popped in to say that Rivers in the Desert is some A+ shit. I've been listening to it on repeat for the past few days since I've beaten the game. It's already one of my favorite VGMs of all time.

Top Bottom