• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

obin_gam

From other thread:
Read the "Before the Awakening" book.
Really drives home Rey. She's borderline sociopathic with enormous trust issues, christ.
Got any details on this?

I would also like to know. Won't fix/change my feelings on the character.

That doesn't sound too strange - she got left on a desert planet by (presumably her father) Luke, who mind-wiped her completely save for a notion of "wait here".

nib95

Banned
Kylo freezing Rey outside of Maz's castle before putting her to sleep. Dude could be next level if he wasn't such a big ass bitch.

You wait till Plagueis is done with him. I reckon Plagueis was waiting till Kylo got rid of that last bit of light before properly and fully training him, and him killing Han achieved that. Now Snope is going to turn Kylo beast mode.

I hope no one's just salty over a girl winning a fight with a dude

I get logic and actual arguments or whatever, but it's a space wizard movie in the end, get over it
I think it's bad story-telling and takes me out the movie.
Also, can we not criticize the film due to its fantastical aspects?

Meowster

It sucks being poor. I have IMAX tickets for the family for Christmas Day but that and Christmas gifts just wiped me out. I need to see it again, ughh.

Syriel

Kylo freezing Rey outside of Maz's castle before putting her to sleep. Dude could be next level if he wasn't such a big ass bitch.

Kylo lost some of his "scary factor" when he took off his helmet and everyone realized that he looked like Ross.

tumblr_mdcqtkmDQk1qjd1y3o2_250.gif

Mariolee

Part of the reason I laughed was because I thought that was BB8 flipping him off considering how BB8 didn't trust Finn at all.

Monocle

(Quoted from the first thread.)

Not sure if its been posted but

Chris Stuckmans spoiler review is up. I pretty much agree with everything he says.
Outstanding review. I agree with every single one of his points. I especially like how he compared TFA to the Original Trilogy as a response to critical fans, and stressed the importance of the big picture we have yet to see. What a great way to illustrate Kylo Ren's substance and TFA's overall quality next to the other Star Wars films. So good.

That's not how I remember the scene. Ren talks about her resisting him and being force sensitive. At that point Snoke gets very interested and wants him to bring her to him. Force sensitive individuals are rare, especially young ones, so I think he wants to corrupt as many as possible.

It's both, but more yours. Was just giving the cliff notes version

The quote below goes against what you said.

See. This makes sense.

I think a lot of people are trying to make the movie make sense just because they want it to.

Something your ruling out is that Kylo may know Ren. He seems to have a familiarity with her although nothing is flat out said. His offer to train her may just be mutual force respect, but it shows that he doesn't see her as someone lower than him.

His force push at the beginning of the final fight had nothing to do with a tactical way of knocking her out to bring her to Snoke, and everything to do with her strong feelings toward the father he had just killed.

Forkball

Red Letter Media tweeted out yesterday that they saw TFA, shot the review, and are editing it.

This is what we have truly been waiting for.

injurai

Banned
Way to jump the gun Bobby.

Posting from the other thread, here is a great review of TFA which articulates my thoughts perfectly.
Chris Stuckmans Spoiler review.

And also his spoiler free review which covers some other points I agree with.

He doesn't cover as much as I hope he would. But pretty much all of what he covers I agree with. I certainly think there wasn't enough weight depicted in relation to Starkiller Base. I think Poe was under utilized. But I very much think a lot of the criticism against Rey and Ren is completely off base. I'm really excited to see the big picture of this trilogy.

I've never seen Star Wars before, so I have a few questions:

Who is Luke and why is he so important?

Did Darth Vader 2 or what's his face die?

How did Lin escape whatever they put the storm troopers under and develop Free Will, when the thousands of other Storm Troopers didn't.

Why did the Trash Can blue robot thingy randomly wake up when they arrived back? Does that have to do with Rey coming back and being forceful or whatever?

Why does no one have any parents but Darth Vader 2? Who are Rey's parents? Who are Luke and Layla's parents? Who are Lins parents?

How did Bo survive literally blowing and being sunken into the sand?

Edit: this is the spoiler thread, my bad xD

Continuing from the last thread on how some wonder how Rey can pilot a ship so well because she must have only shit jobs in Jakku, and Luke being from Tatooine somehow piloting by the end of ANH a totally victory not clash with the argument whatsoever.

We have no knowledge of the past, so it is hard to fault the film from imaginary aspects that could of happen or couldn't. Also character skill leaps have pretty much been establish since the original.

Vodh

Yes. I know she's a scavenger who lives in a ship. At best she fixes hover bikes or other hover objects. That's not a space ship or flying one. I know what they're going for because the action scenes on Jakku reinforce what type of character Rey is supposed to be on paper. Overall I let it slide 'cause the idea is more important than the story but it still bothers me.

You've got literally zero information about what she does when she isn't actively scavenging. Once again, my issue isn't with the criticism of the insufficient portrayal of her background, my issue is that although a legitimate problem and I can see how it bothers some, it does not make her a Mary Sue.

Syriel

I think Poe was under utilized.

Rey and Poe were my two favs from the film. Rey kicked all sorts of ass, but the film really did need more Poe. Actually felt like there may have been more of Poe in an earlier draft and the character got trimmed.

traveler

Not Wario
This argument is still raging on? Ren stopping the blaster bolt and freezing people with ease- a skill no one in the entire series has displayed with such prowess- feel like the out of character parts, not his loss to Rey. We get plenty of build up to that loss, but see nothing that suggests why a non-Sith, still in training, emotionally conflicted force user could pull off feats neither Yoda nor the emperor could.

Meowster

I missed the last ten pages or so of the last thread, so that book is worth checking out for some needed insight on Rey? How is it for the other characters?

and that's what makes him great. As far as I know there isn't any other SW character who's dark side and tempted by the light instead of the reverse. Plus this quote my friend sent to me.

When Kylo gets angry it's fucking scary and a bit sympathetic since he's clearly really fucked up in the head.

When Anakin gets angry it's just a bit funny since he comes off as an angsty teen whos parents took away his xbox.
Finn was able to get a couple hits in... the same Finn who got rekt by a regular stormtrooper.

Dude is seriously underpowered.

It was so so great between that storm trooper who went HAM on him for being a traitor and Finn to see storm troopers with some emotion.

Monocle

How did Lin escape whatever they put the storm troopers under and develop Free Will, when the thousands of other Storm Troopers didn't.

Why did the Trash Can blue robot thingy randomly wake up when they arrived back? Does that have to do with Rey coming back and being forceful or whatever?

Why does no one have any parents but Darth Vader 2? Who are Rey's parents? Who are Luke and Layla's parents? Who are Lins parents?

You should at least see the first Star Wars movie tbh.

Also, the answers to some of your questions will be revealed in the sequel. No one knows for the time being.

KevinCow

Banned
I can't wait until we get a better version of that BB-8 thumbs up gif. And I also can't wait until enough time has passed that we can use it in threads outside of this one.

Fj0823

You watched the 7th installment of a movie saga...You should check the previous 6 films to answer some of those questions

It's quite annoynig reading a lot of 'why didn't Kylo Ren just force choke Finn/Rey?' replies. People act like the force is something that isn't affected by your state of mind.

Kylo is strongest when he believes he has the upper hand, when he believes they are afraid. And of course when he is surrounding by real fear.

As soon as they figure out that he is arrogant and desperate to be stronger than he actually is, it's over for him. This isn't new to this film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom