• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD.nL

So just watched again last night and did some research because I once again noticed something regarding the Rey being a Kenobi theory. This is all in the duel with Kylo:

• When Rey gets the lightsaber the force theme (binary sunset) plays. Now this is of course an iconic theme but it has never been used in a lightsaber battle apart from battles with Obi-Wan in it.
  • For example when Obi-Wan is fighting Darth Maul and uses the force to get Qui-Gon's saber it's the force theme that plays.
  • More interestingly and what is another direct parallel to Obi-Wan is during the fight with Kylo and Rey starts 'meditating', it draws directly from the image of Obi-Wan 'meditating' and becoming more powerful than Vader in ANH when he strucks him (here the first notes of the Force theme once again play).
  • After that moment Rey becomes literally more powerful than Kylo and manages to overpower him.
  • Furthermore an interesting bit on the Star Wars wiki regarding the force theme:
In the prequel trilogy, as with the original, the Force Theme is often used for the character Obi-Wan Kenobi, who had no unique musical theme of his own.

As Bobby has also said before, a Kenobi kid was once on the table. With all the other stuff I noticed so far I really think there is a good chance she's a Kenobi descendent if she's related to anyone.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
From other thread:

Got any details on this?

Oh hey, i get to spoiler tag stuff.
I'd recommend just reading it since it's what, 60-70 pages for the Rey part, but if you really want:
She's a complete loner, ignoring anyone and everyone, and a known troublemaker. Everyone knows to stay away from her, since she knows how to fight and isn't about people at the very least.
All her time is spent either salvaging or on a flight sim she recovered.
The main arc of the book is that she finds a semi-intact spaceship, and and spends months in hunger to repair it instead of asking for help.
When she fucks up and somebody notices that she's building something, and is warned about that by a caring soul, she starts to get paranoid about the lady that warned her.
They then find her ship, and propose to help fixing for a share. Complete panic ensues, and she only agrees because she thinks she'd get a knife in her back if she didn't.
The two guys that find her repeat over and over that they should get off the planet with the ship, but Rey wants to sell it to the guy-who-hands-over-portions, who'll no doubt massively undercut it, if not straight up kill and take. They explain that to her, but she doesn't care
At some point, after it has been made a big point of how dangerous the night is on Jakku, she panics at midnight and goes to check on the hidden ship, risking massive frostbite and getting eaten by worm-things. The ship is fine, nobody's there to steal it.
Next line is the ending, which is kind of a twist, if an expected one:
After they finish fixing it, and do a victory lap and landing at the city, and she refueses to get off the planet, again.. and goes telling the portion guy that she wants to sell the ship, the guys that helped her fix it, who are on board, yell "Sorry!" and take off.
A big point is made that she's not even angry. People suck anyway.

munchie64

I've never seen Star Wars before, so I have a few questions:

Who is Luke and why is he so important?

Did Darth Vader 2 or what's his face die?

How did Lin escape whatever they put the storm troopers under and develop Free Will, when the thousands of other Storm Troopers didn't.

Why did the Trash Can blue robot thingy randomly wake up when they arrived back? Does that have to do with Rey coming back and being forceful or whatever?

Why does no one have any parents but Darth Vader 2? Who are Rey's parents? Who are Luke and Layla's parents? Who are Lins parents?

How did Bo survive literally blowing and being sunken into the sand?
Someone will answer those questions I'm sure, but I just wanted to say the vast majority of them have nothing to do with seeing the previous entries.

But Luke is the protagonist of the first 3 films and Darth Vader was his and Leia's dad.

snaffles

Anyone read the novelization? Thinking of picking it up.
It definitely fills in some gaps here and there, like the name of the old man that gives Poe the map for example. Can be overly descriptive of minutiae at times. I'm enjoying it though.

Scarecrow

When the movie started, Poe reminded me a lot of Lone Star from Spaceballs. I was pleasantly surprised they killed him off so early. I thought he would've become way too annoying.

But they didn't kill him. That's some War of the Worlds resurrection right there.

Luckily, he wasn't as irritating as I thought he'd be.

You watched the 7th installment of a movie saga...You should check the previous 6 films to answer some of those questions

You should at least see the first Star Wars movie tbh.

The answers to a lot of your questions will be revealed in the sequel.

The answer to these questions are spoilers. Enjoy the OT
Okay. Should I watch the movies in the order they were released, or should I watch them in Canonlogical order?

rekameohs

Banned
yeah I really hope Snoke is actually some boring ass loser Sheev casually mentions for like 15 seconds when staring at a bubble

Big Nikus

Quoting from the previous thread:
what is Rey's last name?

Lanadel.
That's a good Star Wars name.

It's so great to see people speculate on the background of characters, I feel like I can better imagine the kind of crazyness people experienced after the revelations in Episode V.

Forkball

No Plinkett, no interest

(okay, some interest--I like their stuff. But Plinkett reviews are god tier)
True, but we probably won't get a Plinkett review until after the DVD comes out.
Palpatines old master (also Snope in TFA). The guy who's staff saber Rey conveniently found and is now using, from that defunct Super Star Destroyer she scavenged.
Rey had the staff way before that scene where she is pilfering the star destroyer. There is no way Snoke is Plagueis.

Fj0823

So guys, when Han is inevitably resurrected in the new EU....

Will it be cool like Maul's return or lame like Bobba escaping the Sarlacc and marrying whatsherface?

Vice

So just watched again last night and did some research because I once again noticed something regarding the Rey being a Kenobi theory. This is all in the duel with Kylo:

• When Rey gets the lightsaber the force theme (binary sunset) plays. Now this is of course an iconic theme but it has never been used in a lightsaber battle apart from battles with Obi-Wan in it.
  • For example when Obi-Wan is fighting Darth Maul and uses the force to get Qui-Gon's saber it's the force theme that plays.
  • More interestingly and what is another direct parallel to Obi-Wan is during the fight with Kylo and Rey starts 'meditating', it draws directly from the image of Obi-Wan 'meditating' and becoming more powerful than Vader in ANH when he strucks him (here the first notes of the Force theme once again play).
  • After that moment Rey becomes literally more powerful than Kylo and manages to overpower him.
  • Furthermore an interesting bit on the Star Wars wiki regarding the force theme:

As Bobby has also said before, a Kenobi kid was once on the table. With all the other stuff I noticed so far I really think there is a good chance she's a Kenobi descendent if she's related to anyone.
MYbe it's one of those weird Anakin style force pregnancies guided by Obi-Wan.

Not

Banned
I think it's bad story-telling and takes me out the movie.
Also, can we not criticize the film due to its fantastical aspects?

Having a girl beat a dude in a fight is "bad storytelling"

Jesus

Anyway, can't wait to see this again when I can afford it. Most psyched to watch the lightsaber battles and see if they make me tense again, like they didn't in the prequels

nib95

Banned

That's interesting, because apparently it's Obi-Wan Kenobi's voice that calls out to her in one of her visions. Either Kenobi is guiding her, or she's somehow from Kenobi's lineage instead of Luke's.

Quoting from the previous thread:

Lanadel.
That's a good Star Wars name.

It's so great to see people speculate on the background of characters, I feel like I can better imagine the kind of crazyness people experienced after the revelations in Episode V.

Rey Lanadel?

Did Lana del Rey got her name from Rey?

O

munchie64

Oh hey, i get to spoiler tag stuff.
I'd recommend just reading it since it's what, 60-70 pages for the Rey part, but if you really want:
She's a complete loner, ignoring anyone and everyone, and a known troublemaker. Everyone knows to stay away from her, since she knows how to fight and isn't about people at the very least.
All her time is spent either salvaging or on a flight sim she recovered.
The main arc of the book is that she finds a semi-intact spaceship, and and spends months in hunger to repair it instead of asking for help.
When she fucks up and somebody notices that she's building something, and is warned about that by a caring soul, she starts to get paranoid about the lady that warned her.
They then find her ship, and propose to help fixing for a share. Complete panic ensues, and she only agrees because she thinks she'd get a knife in her back if she didn't.
The two guys that find her repeat over and over that they should get off the planet with the ship, but Rey wants to sell it to the guy-who-hands-over-portions, who'll no doubt massively undercut it, if not straight up kill and take. They explain that to her, but she doesn't care
At some point, after it has been made a big point of how dangerous the night is on Jakku, she panics at midnight and goes to check on the hidden ship, risking massive frostbite and getting eaten by worm-things. The ship is fine, nobody's there to steal it.
Next line is the ending, which is kind of a twist, if an expected one:
After they finish fixing it, and do a victory lap and landing at the city, and she refueses to get off the planet, again.. and goes telling the portion guy that she wants to sell the ship, the guys that helped her fix it, who are on board, yell "Sorry!" and take off.
A big point is made that she's not even angry. People suck anyway.
That sounds pretty good. Will give it a read.

Poe Dameron reminded me of, you guessed it, Frank Stallone
he looks shockingly like Alan Palomo of Neon Indian fame
Poe-Dameron-swtfa.jpg

Alan-Palomo-photographed-by-Claudia-Pajewsky-for-DROME-magazine.jpg

kingocfs

and that's what makes him great.

For sure. All this talk of Rey being OP while Ren is stopping blasters mid air, getting shot in the stomach by a weapon sending storm troopers into orbit all movie and still has enough in him to fight her to a draw after somehow catching up to them in the woods.

If he can control his temper and commit already, game fuckin over, man.

Aureon

I've never seen Star Wars before, so I have a few questions:

Who is Luke and why is he so important?

Last generation's great hero.

Did Darth Vader 2 or what's his face die?

No. Nothing to do with 1-6 anyway.

How did Lin escape whatever they put the storm troopers under and develop Free Will, when the thousands of other Storm Troopers didn't.

Stormtroopers are indocrinated, not braincontrolled.

Why did the Trash Can blue robot thingy randomly wake up when they arrived back? Does that have to do with Rey coming back and being forceful or whatever?

Probably. The force works in mysterious ways.

Why does no one have any parents but Darth Vader 2? Who are Rey's parents? Who are Luke and Layla's parents? Who are Lins parents?

Rey's are purposefully kept a mistery.
Luke and Leia's are Vader and a character you shouldn't really know.
Finn's aren't mentioned, probably stormtroopers.

How did Bo survive literally blowing and being sunken into the sand?

He got blown away during landing, and landed far from the ship. He wasn't on it.

Edit: this is the spoiler thread, my bad xD

-

Oh yeah, not sure if it was mentioned in the last thread, but I'll mention it in this one:

They did call in James Arnold Taylor to do his Ben Kenobi voice, speaking the word "Rey" in that vision. But he didn't make the final cut, because the line was then dubbed again by Ewan McGregor.

So they specifically went out of their way to have Obi-Wan say her name for this movie.

It's quite annoynig reading a lot of 'why didn't Kylo Ren just force choke Finn/Rey?' replies. People act like the force is something that isn't affected by your state of mind.

Kylo is strongest when he believes he has the upper hand, when he believes they are afraid. And of course when he is surrounding by real fear.

As soon as they figure out that he is arrogant and desperate to be stronger than he actually is, it's over for him. This isn't new to this film.
Plus, Fin is the cause of him being out of his usual comfort zone.

Because of Fin they lost the pilot, they lost the droid, He found and brought Rey into the fight which brought Han his father back into the fight (which Han was trying to run away from) and the resistance is on their doorstep about to blowup their base.

If Fin had just been a good stormtrooper, kylo may not have had to kill his dad that day.

Kylo isn't going to just choke him.

He's going to make him suffer.

Okay. Should I watch the movies in the order they were released, or should I watch them in Canonlogical order?

Order of release.

Prequels aren't needed. But the OT is.

Aureon

That sounds pretty good. Will give it a read.

It's written decently.
I probably wouldn't have cared much if i hadn't already watched the movie, though.
Still have to get through the Poe and Finn sections.

Jesus

Anyway, can't wait to see this again when I can afford it. Most psyched to watch the lightsaber battles and see if they make me tense again, like they didn't in the prequels

Sure, sexist, when everyone complaining about Rey is double-complaining about Finn holding up to Kylo anyway.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Jesus

What's with you and painting everyone as a sexist?

munchie64

Oh yeah, not sure if it was mentioned in the last thread, but I'll mention it in this one:

They did call in James Arnold Taylor to do his Ben Kenobi voice, speaking the word "Rey" in that vision. But he didn't make the final cut, because the line was then dubbed again by Ewan McGregor.

So they specifically went out of their way to have Obi-Wan say her name for this movie.
I don't wanna read too much into it...

But #ReyKenobi

Fj0823

Do you think this gives Ewan a chance at having a movie?
I mean they went out of their way to get him despite having JAT or the option of ripping Guiness dialogue

Vice

Plus, Fin is the cause of him being out of his usual comfort zone.

Because of Fin they lost the pilot, they lost the droid, He found and brought Rey into the fight which brought Han his father back into the fight (which Han was trying to run away from) and the resistance is on their doorstep about to blowup their base.

If Fin had just been a good stormtrooper, kylo may not have had to kill his dad that day.

Kylo isn't going to just choke him.

He's going to make him suffer.
He has that Vader obsession as well and just saw Finn spark up grandpappy's very own lightsaber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom