• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

npa189

I'm kinda losing my mind over how damn good it was, Abrams has ascended to another level for me. This buries the prequels, STAR WARS is back guys!

FeD.nL

Dunno if you saw in the old thread, but I finished my last ep. of Full of Sith today and made sure to namecheck you and your observations from the previous thread.

Hope your screenname is pronounced Fed-dot-En-El, because that's how I said it.

Looking forward to the episode!

And that's perfect pronunciation.

Syriel

Wow, really? I never got that impression but I guess it's possible. I don't know if a droid having such a high position makes sense, though.

I've got nothing to back it up, at all, other than just a gut impression.

Things that made me think that were the voice, the cold logic of all her actions and, for better or worse, the fact that the scene in which they had her disarming the defenses struck me as similar to the ANH scene were C3PO and R2D2 are in the control room and R2 is doing his thing.

I could be totally wrong.

iMerc

This argument is still raging on? Ren stopping the blaster bolt and freezing people with ease- a skill no one in the entire series has displayed with such prowess- feel like the out of character parts, not his loss to Rey. We get plenty of build up to that loss, but see nothing that suggests why a non-Sith, still in training, emotionally conflicted force user could pull off feats neither Yoda nor the emperor could.

you're taking things at face value a little too literally.
of course the likes of yoda, the emperor, anakin, obiwan and any other high ranking sith or jedi could perform the feats ben does.

these other legendary jedi simply didn't have the opportunity to do them on screen, nor did the producers/directors of those movies see it fit to make them perform those feats at the time. it's really common sense; a way of thinking that takes the back seat when we tend to over-analyse things.

there are many, many awesome things jedi & sith can do that have not shown up on the movie screens.

not to diminish ben solo's talen in the force; of course not. he does after all have the skywalker linage in his blood.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
How can Rey be Obi Wan's daughter? He's been dead for what, 30 years?

The Obi-wan theory assumes that he's her grandfather.

In the canon he had an old lover so he either had secret child with her (Rey's parent) or he met someone after the events of Episode III.

Forkball

There's multiple destroyers on the planet. According to the art book, both star destroyers and one super star destroyer. It's possible she scavenged the staff from the super star destroyer from an earlier scavenge. It'd be fit for a place Palpatine may have stored some stuff.

Also why don't you think Snoke is Plagueis?

Did the art book specifically say she got the staff from a star destroyer? Because she could have gotten it from anywhere. It's just a metal stick.

As for reasons why Snoke is NOT Plagueis...

A) Abrahms and Kasdan straight up said he wasn't at a panel. Serkis said he was a new character as well.
B) The only canon info we have about Plagueis is from Episode III. His backstory, race, and staff ownership details are all part of the jettisoned EU "Legends" books. Ergo, we have no idea if canon Plagueis actually had a staff.
C) It would be the dumbest thing ever to have the big bad be a guy who was mentioned briefly in the prequels. It's clear that they are trying to ignore the prequels as much as possible and I can't seem them making such a callback.

Sadly the Plagueis = Snoke train is going to choo choo on until Episode IX.

Slight side note for fans of the movie & Disneyland: Star Tours at Disneyland/World just added a new scene on jakku featuring the Millennium Falcon. It's pretty rad

Nozem

About Snoke's "Find Ren and bring him to me!" bit at the end, just before the planet exploded, how does that work? I thought Snoke was a projection but either way, Ren must have gotten out of there right?

nib95

Banned
I forgot to put force user after untrained.

She beat him in mind games earlier during the interrogation, where as soon as he lost control of the situation, he folded, and she instead ended up reading his mind!

I think Rey is probably far more force sensitive than Kylo is, which is another reason I think her relation or link to the force is stronger, Eg her Luke's daughter, who is far more force sensitive than Leia (Kylo's mother).

duckroll

If Kylo Ren ever had real proper training with a lightsaber intended for practical combat, he would not be using a stupid ass cross shaped modded saber. The first thing his master would have told him in training is "You are not Darth Maul".

She's not untrained lol. She was a bad ass throughout the film. Fending off multiple enemies at one point earlier, with just a staff and some martial arts. Even Finn is also a stormtrooper who according to the art book, was top of his class in nearly everything.

Add to that Kylo was badly injured and emotionally completely unbalanced. It's clear through several scenes he's most powerful when he's fully in control. In that fight it was the complete opposite, and he was an angry emotional mess.

I don't think people complaining about the fight or outcome as an example of poor writing have really thought things through.

Kylo is clearly not fully trained; he's young and the big bad at the end calls him back to be fully trained. He's also quite wounded, having been shot in the side by Chewie (a point reiterated several times during the fight) and cut badly in the shoulder by Finn. He'd also just killed his father and was an emotional wreak, and was facing someone who knew how to melee fight for a very long time; I wouldn't be surprised if Rey was actually more experienced that Kylo was as a melee fighter. And Kylo still had her on the run until the very end.

The entire series is full of people with superior power losing to those weaker than them due to being reckless, emotional and hasty. The entire Skywalker line of Jedi had the same issue. It's consistent for the series and based on what had just happened to Kylo Ren.
And, he barely lost after receiving several injuries throughout and before the fight.

One was training, the other was surviving.

One was trying to live up to the family legacy and the pressure that comes with it, while the other one was trying to survive on nothing but their wits.

One is mentally unstable, the other is a strong independent woman :p

Which one do you think will draw more power out of the force?
Mentally broken or someone with a strong will?

And in the end it wasn't the force that helped her win. It was conquering her own fear and fighting the way she always does.
Not to win, but to survive.
Ok.
I mean we aren't going to change each other on this issue. You find it makes sense while I do not.
No reason to going back and forth.

Bluth54

1. Blown up with the New Republic Senate

I would say it's very unlikely the entire New Republic fleet was in orbit of the New Republic home world. Even with the importance of that planet it's likely only a very small percentage of their fleet would of been in the system (and probably only the ones in orbit would of been destroyed, some of the ships probably weren't in orbit).

I did find it kinda odd the New Republic fleet didn't help attack the planet, I imagine most of the commanders would of wanted to attack the people who destroyed their capital, but they might not of been able to get to the Starkiller Planet in time. I think C3PO even says something like it's too bad the New Republic fleet wasn't able to be there/help.

About Snoke's "Find Ren and bring him to me!" bit at the end, just before the planet exploded, how does that work? I thought Snoke was a projection but either way, Ren must have gotten out of there right?

If Chewie could find and rescue Fin and Ren, the thousands of New Order Soldiers could have easily found Ren. Or the Hitler Commander guy.

Renekton

Kylo is clearly not fully trained; he's young and the big bad at the end calls him back to be fully trained. He's also quite wounded, having been shot in the side by Chewie (a point reiterated several times during the fight) and cut badly in the shoulder by Finn. He'd also just killed his father and was an emotional wreak, and was facing someone who knew how to melee fight for a very long time; I wouldn't be surprised if Rey was actually more experienced that Kylo was as a melee fighter. And Kylo still had her on the run until the very end.
I doubt Rey's street-wise skills (part-timing with scavenging) are nearly as effective as Kylo's dedicated training from the order. Also, Rey got bopped into a tree and hit the ground at the height that could fracture bones. Rey being on the run early on was simply because she hadn't believed in her power.

The entire series is full of people with superior power losing to those weaker than them due to being reckless, emotional and hasty. The entire Skywalker line of Jedi had the same issue. It's consistent for the series and based on what had just happened to Kylo Ren.
IIRC Luke got mad strong after getting destabilized by Vader.

It would be hilarious if Snoke was 2 feet tall.
Or even bigger than the hologram.
Oh, one last question. Can only a Jedi/Person with the force use a Light Saber as a weapon, or can anyone?

We saw Rey use it super effectively, and saw her using the force, So I assume she's the new Jedi.

Fin also used the same light saber for a while, but didn't really seem to use it well? (I mean, he hit the bad guy once with it?), does that mean he is also a form of Jedi/Has force?
I assume one doesn't have to be force sensitive to use it, Han Solo used Luke's once in ESB, although it wasn't in combat.

Oh, one last question. Can only a Jedi/Person with the force use a Light Saber as a weapon, or can anyone?

We saw Rey use it super effectively, and saw her using the force, So I assume she's the new Jedi.

Fin also used the same light saber for a while, but didn't really seem to use it well? (I mean, he hit the bad guy once with it?), does that mean he is also a form of Jedi/Has force?

Brakke

Banned
"Kyle isn't fully-trained" is such a silly angle. Dude's been training like ten years at least, surely. He went to Luke young enough that he was fucked up about being abandoned by his folks. And now he's twenty-something.

I've got nothing to back it up, at all, other than just a gut impression.

Things that made me think that were the voice, the cold logic of all her actions and, for better or worse, the fact that the scene in which they had her disarming the defenses struck me as similar to the ANH scene were C3PO and R2D2 are in the control room and R2 is doing his thing.

I could be totally wrong.

What you're really saying here is Phasma is a total cipher of a "character". Star Wars droids have more personality than Phasma does lol. She's an empty suit.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Interesting that Hux survives his deathstar being destroyed while his counter point Tarkin went down with his. Even as Kylo was able to kill his father and succeed where Vader, his counter part, couldn't.

Either Snoke really did learn from the fall of the Galactic Empire and hand picked his cultists more wisely, or JJ wants these guys to stick around for awhile so he can keep a throwback thread alive

duckroll

Nah. it's basically the whole reason Lawrence Kasdan is even there. He signed on to do the Han film before he ever started work on the Force Awakens.

I'm kinda surprised Miller and Lord agreed to direct a franchise film which they wouldn't be writing. Unless the plan is to wait for the first draft to be in, and then gain control of it with rewrites.

I would say it's very unlikely the entire New Republic fleet was in orbit of the New Republic home world. Even with the importance of that planet it's likely only a very small percentage of their fleet would of been in the system (and probably only the ones in orbit would of been destroyed, some of the ships probably weren't in orbit).

I did find it kinda odd the New Republic fleet didn't help attack the planet, I imagine most of the commanders would of wanted to attack the people who destroyed their capital, but they might not of been able to get to the Starkiller Planet in time. I think C3PO even says something like it's too bad the New Republic fleet wasn't able to be there/help.

Id say a good bit was blown up but of course there are going to be assets still around. Im sure we will see a good bit of those in the next movie after everyone realizes that its time to fully and openly support the Resistance against the First Order.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

It's... best not to overthink the whole New Republic thing.
It's evidently something the writers didn't want, but had to deal with.

Syriel

Interesting that Hux survives his deathstar being destroyed while his counter point Tarkin went down with his. Even as Kylo was able to kill his father and succeed where Vader, his counter part, couldn't.

Either Snoke really did learn from the fall of the Galactic Empire and hand picked his cultists more wisely, or JJ wants these guys to stick around for awhile so he can keep a throwback thread alive

Kinda hard to meet that standard given that Vader didn't have a father to kill.

Fj0823

Anyone can use a lightsaber, canon has a stormtrooper being quite good with one (Vader's Fist) but to use them at their full potential, you need the Force

nib95

Banned
If Kylo Ren ever had real proper training with a lightsaber intended for practical combat, he would not be using a stupid ass cross shaped modded saber. The first thing his master would have told him in training is "You are not Darth Maul".

Sorry to bring up the art book again, but it says in it that his lightsaber is very crudely and inefficiently designed and made (by Kylo), so he clearly isn't particularly well trained yet. My guess is after Snope fully trains him, he'll design and build a far better and more polished saber.

duckroll

Wasn't there a huge post in the last spoiler thread about how the First Order was detailed in a companion book as being culturally different from the Empire? They don't see their people as disposable troops, and have build various failsafes and redundancies into their hardware to ensure survival rather than pointless sacrifice.

Sorry to bring up the art book again, but it says in it that his lightsaber is very crudely and inefficiently designed and made (by Kylo), so he clearly isn't particularly well trained yet. My guess is after Snope fully trains him, he'll design and build a far better and more polished saber.

Hahahahaha. Whoa. See, I'm right! And I was only half-joking. Lol.

That lightsaber is really the dumbest.

Veelk

Banned
I doubt Rey's street-wise skills (part-timing with scavenging) are nearly as effective as Kylo's dedicated training from the order. Also, Rey got bopped into a tree and hit the ground at the height that could fracture bones.

I just watched Empire Strike's Back, in the beginning Luke takes a fall from the top of a giant walker that's like 50 feet high that should have shattered his spine. He walks it off.

IIRC Luke got mad strong after getting destabilized by Vader.

He got mad strong after getting pissed off by Vader. Kylo Ren isn't pissed off, he's in turmoil.

but he had a practical effect for it in combat and the vents were because the crystal was unstable because it was sith

Theory we kicked around a little on Full of Sith:

What if the Knights of Ren are fellow students of Luke's that Kylo & Snoke turned? What if part of what has Luke so fucked up that he went into exile is that he had to basically kill his own students - except he can't bring himself to take out his own nephew?

Could not only explain why Luke looks kinda/sorta out of his fucking mind when Rey finds him, but could explain why we don't see any other Knights of Ren but during the vision.

Brakke

Banned

Historical Star Wars universe assumptions were that muggles can definitely use light sabers but it's a real bad idea. They're weighted weird and they're the ultimate "double-edged sword". So you're more likely to hurt yourself than do anything useful. But it's possible to wield. Finn swinging it around a couple times doesn't necessarily mean he's a Jedi waiting to happen.

Big Nikus

Oh yeah, not sure if it was mentioned in the last thread, but I'll mention it in this one:

They did call in James Arnold Taylor to do his Ben Kenobi voice, speaking the word "Rey" in that vision. But he didn't make the final cut, because the line was then dubbed again by Ewan McGregor.

So they specifically went out of their way to have Obi-Wan say her name for this movie.

Wait, seriously ? I don't specifically remember hearing that during the vision, and I didn't recognize the voice. That really was McGregor saying that line ?
If so, I'm even more pumped for the sequel.

injurai

Banned
Or perhaps it's a deficiency in storytelling that you're not considering when so many people notice the same thing. It's fine if you disagree, but it's intellectually lazy to write the entire argument off as some gamer-gate like mob-mentality.

There have been plenty of complaints about the other, non-women, characters too. But I don't think it's surprising that the main protagonist would also be the one who draws the most attention. Hell, Anakin Skywalker got so much shit that Jake Lloyd quit acting.

What the hell are you on about? I've explicitly deferred my assumptions away from any form of sexism, even if that occasionally is at play. I'm extra conservative to not assume too much. Yet I disagree with a certain handful of criticism cast against the characters, specifically because I think the story does cover them. Specifically because I think there isn't a deficiency in the storytelling to elicit certain criticisms. However I think other criticisms can be legitimately made. If anything the take away is that I think people are too often forming a simulacrum of sexism in other's critics in order to write of the criticisms that they dislike. However, I still maintain that I dislike certain critics and I feel there are valid dismissals of them based in the story as it has been presented thus far.

What's intellectual lazy is you extrapolating the scope of my comment, and then likening it to some contrived controversy. Of course there are plenty of complaints to go around for all characters. I even touched on critics that landed upon Ren's character that I disagree with.

No, I'm pretty sure anyone can use it. It's just a signature weapon for Jedi specifically. Finn uses it in the movie and General Grievous uses plenty of them and he's certainly not a Jedi. I don't think he had the force either, but maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that one.

Theory we kicked around a little on Full of Sith:

What if the Knights of Ren are fellow students of Luke's that Kylo & Snoke turned? What if part of what has Luke so fucked up that he went into exile is that he had to basically kill his own students - except he can't bring himself to take out his own nephew?
I figured that was pretty much the truth that the movie tells and not a theory?

Are they casting Anthony Ingruber to play young Han? He's already played a young version of Harrison Ford in The Age of Adaline so why not get a little typecast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom