• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
it aint about that. move did have sort of an epilogue and it was a weird after-theatre thing realizing how they've always deal with these deaths in a weighty fashion then Han dies and we get a Leia / Rey hug when you'd know it would have been more impactful with more time to it. has nothing to do with the characters being sad or not, has to do with the character and how you're supposed to feel for Kylo's actions and actually see the damage on screen.

I don't have an issue with VIII dealin with a funeral or something like that.

death itself was handled totally fine. Chewie instantly shooting at him was badass as fuck

I realize people might need some more closure after seeing this character they've known for so long die so suddenly, but I think I liked that a lot about it. It was sudden, it was cruel, no one had time to grieve because they had shit to do, but you know no one will forget what Kylo Ren did.

And yes, that bowcaster shot was amazing. Poor Chewie.

GhaleonEB

Which then enters spins and performing physically well, and zooming ahead of them in the forest. It's not consistent so I can't see him losing other than the story needing him to lose even though, while injured, he could chop both Finn and Rey up. His feats in the movie are pretty big.

I've seen the film several times now, and as discussions have taken place here, I go back and look for aspects of the film that relate to them specifically, so I can discuss them with a more informed perspective. It's why I concluded complaints about Rey's abilities are largely devoid of merit (it's all explained in her background and within the bounds of Luke in the OT, and she still screws up a few times badly), for example.

Today I was watching for a couple of things in particular. One was the lighting during Kylo's confrontation with Han, as someone pointed out the red/blue over his shoulders being a visualization of his internal struggle; a pretty great touch I had missed on prior viewings. Another was just how wounded Kylo was during that fight and if he magically went from injured to fine and back. And he doesn't, it's very consistently shown that he's hurt and is staggering through the entire fight. Yes he's still mobile, but it's clearly affecting him from start to finish.
Chewie flipping shit was one of the movie's greatest highs. Not moping. Not crying. A roar of anguish and rage followed by effortlessly wrecking shit. Hit the fucking dark side bad guy square in the gut. Mowed down space nazis. Blew the place to pieces. Got the survivors out of there.

Yeah, he shoots Kylo, then like seven troopers in a row then blows the whole place up (with Rey and Finn still up there, no less). He went completely nuts and it was great.

Salsa

LOL

311.gif

Baton Trooper is developing a fan following it seems.

this dude was great cause I like how the new outfits make them all look like weirdly fat short guys

im kinda conflicted in wether or not I would have prefered for him to be Phasma tho

- more weight to the fight with Finn since she already has a beef with him

- Phasma does fucking something

BUT I also liked that a random Stormtrooper had a badass moment handling himself rather than the usual "missing every single shot"

The Flash

Banned
Chewie flipping shit was one of the movie's greatest highs. Not moping. Not crying. A roar of anguish and rage followed by effortlessly wrecking shit. Hit the fucking dark side bad guy square in the gut. Mowed down space nazis. Blew the place to pieces. Got the survivors out of there.

Chewie's the best. I'll never forgive the people who thought it was a good idea to kill him in the old canon.

Toxi

Banned
With the way Finn just wanted to run away throughout the first part of the movie, I took the stormtrooper buddy death less "oh no i'm rly sad my stormtrooper buddy died" and more "o god my buddy died and that could've been me i don't want to die," dude was seriously shaking in that scene afterwards, followed up by "o god i can't kill civilians i just wanna be anywhere but here."
That's pretty clearly what it's supposed to be. Finn doesn't wax poetry about his fallen comrades when talking about the First Order, he talks about how they're fucking evil and fucking terrifying.

There might have been some grief in that moment, but it's clearly not the focus of Finn's character development.

I agree that the Star Wars OT had plenty of jokey moments, but they were kept pretty distinct from the dramatic moments. There are parts of TFA that are played seriously at first, only to be undercut by a joke. It's not a big deal because at the end of the day it's a big dumb space movie, but the OT at least gave you the illusion that it could be taken seriously. And prior to the special editions or the prequels, there were people who indeed looked at the OT as a work on par with the Lord of the Rings novels, and Lucas as an auteur on par with Tolkien. While TFA is thankfully more serious than Guardians of the Galaxy, for example, there are a few moments that get undercut because of lame wink-and-nods that aren't particularly funny or clever. These moments get audience chuckles because they're broad comedy, but I don't think those moments will play too well outside of the theater.

In any case, I'm not saying it's a major downside of the film, but those moments certainly stuck out to me as being kind of "Reddit humor".

That's fair.

One thing I liked about the comedy is that it's often used to further characterization. Guardians of the Galaxy did that as well. When you nail it I think it's very efficient storytelling.

Ferrio

Banned
then who was his stormtrooper buddy and why was he so stunned at his/her death? why the blood on the helmet scene? that's shitty character development if i've ever seen one.

i'm sure the writers were asking themselves that same question before an executive barged in and yelled "who gives a fuck, more explosions"

I thought the blood on the helmet was a great scene. It humanized the storm troopers for the first time IMO. In the original trilogy you kinda just think of them as throw away enemies, never really thinking beyond that.

diaspora

Finn was probably one of Phasma's most promising soldiers. IIRC he consistently scored in the top 1% of cadets and would land 35 kills out of like 36 shots.

Then he gets the lightsaber and has his ass lit up by baton trooper.

sphagnum

Banned
His buddy was FN -1000 or something. He was part of his squad while training under Phasma.its all in the before the awakening book. His friend wasn't that good and knew he would die eventually.

Yes, the dead Stormtrooper is his friend FN-2003 (aka "Slip"). Most of the First Order troopers have Clonetrooper-style nicknames, like FN-2199 ("Nines") and FN-2000 ("Zeroes"), except for Finn because he didn't really fit in with the others.

A lot of people like to speculates that Zeroes was the Riot Baton Trooper.

Azerare

Gosh seeing baton storm trooper reminds me how short lived he was. They should have put Phasma in that storm troopers place. At least that way she could have done something and appeared B.A.

BigDug13

311.gif

That's hilarious. That guy was completely out of place, George Lucas kind out of place.

Eh, I kinda give it a pass. This was a team of stormtroopers assembled to find and kill Luke Skywalker. They aren't going to even touch him with standard blasters. It stands to reason that they would be trained up with a weapon that can fight against a lightsaber user.

PopeReal

Fuck yes.

SwolBro

Banned
I thought the blood on the helmet was a great scene. It humanized the storm troopers for the first time IMO. In the original trilogy you kinda just think of them as throw away enemies, never really thinking beyond that.
could've been a good direction, but the movie didn't go there. when you see luke put his hand on R2 (a good scene actually) it could have delved deeper into what happened. didn't go there either.

it went.... back to the plot points of the original movies. lol, they rehashed the whole damn thing. that had to be intentional (intentional as in they know where they're going with this) so i'll refrain further judgement on that decision until i see how it plays out.

Yes, the dead Stormtrooper is his friend FN-2003 (aka "Slip"). Most of the First Order troopers have Clonetrooper-style nicknames, like FN-2199 ("Nines") and FN-2000 ("Zeroes"), except for Finn because he didn't really fit in with the others.

A lot of people like to speculates that Zeroes was the Riot Baton Trooper.

Is Finn's nickname ironically Double Murder?

Yeah, I really liked Chewbacca in this. I think he was handled best of the returning characters.

Dalek

Oscar Isaac is just the fucking man. After Show Me A Hero and now this-I'm in awe of the guy. Great actor with 20 Charisma.

that guy was awesome. Too bad he died like Bane from The Dark Knight Rises -- this huge fight and all it took was a one second thing to kill him

i do kind of wish it was Phasma instead, so it didn't have a cheap death.
Maybe he's not really dead, who knows what other secret technology he had?

then who was his stormtrooper buddy and why was he so stunned at his/her death? why the blood on the helmet scene? that's shitty character development if i've ever seen one.

i'm sure the writers were asking themselves that same question before an executive barged in and yelled "who gives a fuck, more explosions"

There is nothing that implies that that guy was his buddy. The blood on the helmet serves two purposes:

One it exposes Finn to some fucked up shit which makes him decide to GTFO. He wasn't stunned by that specific person's death, he was stunned by Death, full stop.

Two: It marks him for the audience.

There is way more craft going on here than you seem willing to admit. It really isn't a movie that seems preoccupied with using a preponderance of explosions to hide it's flaws or bamboozle the audience.

Nerrel

It's the only possible reaction Chewie could have had. It was great, but I was almost certain Chewie was going to go down guns blazing in that moment... it just doesn't seem right to keep him alive without Han. Maybe he'll buddy up with Poe or Finn next time to fill the void.

duckroll

Was Finn really broken up over the death of the fellow stormtrooper or was he just going "oh shit that could have been ME!!!"?

I always thought it was the latter.

311.gif

That's hilarious. That guy was completely out of place, George Lucas kind out of place.

If that weapon is made for the purpose of being anti-lightsaber, isn't it odd that the Stormtroopers are regularly equipping those in the first place? Does the First Order really expect to realistically come across enemies with lightsabers?

Haines

Banned
The more I let this film marinate in my mind the more the ending bugs me. At this point I am underwhelmed with Kylo. For your main villian to get his ass pounded at the end of the 1st of 3 movies doesn't excite me. Yeah he had a rough day. Shot in the gut, worn down and injured by Finn. But Rey absolutely dominated him. some of you draw parallels to Vader at the end of ANH. Naw. Vader got "sucker punched" by Solo while he was preoccupied by Luke in the trench. No one doubts that if Vader was focused on Solo that that Han and Chewie would be dead. At this point I am not even sure if when he is fully trained in healed that he would match "Uber Rey". He is no longer threatening as a villian. The same goes for Phasma. I would have preferred Rey and Finn tag teamed an injured Kylo and the heroes getting a Pyrrhic victory where they were still terrified of Kylo and he had a grudging respect for them because of their 'lucky' win. They should have saved his ass kicking for episode IX That said I liked the film. Just not a fan of OP Uber Rey. I loved her in the first 90% of the film. The next film better be DARK. Kylo and Phasma better be giving out some hell fire ass whooping s in the next movie or they will be no better than Bobba and Darth Maul.

Its like you didnt understand kylo at all. He was never supposed to be the end of the galaxy as they know it in that movie. He was a bitch with some power being brain washed. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom