• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

Thoughts?

Posted something similar a while back.

Seems possible because Kylo seems to know Rey.

That being said, someone had an idea of Rey being the daughter of someone at the village that is massacred by the Knights. He feels guilty that her mother is dead and Rey is an orphan and adopts her as his own, ultimately dropping her off with the old guy from the opening of Ep 7 to care for. She ends up getting placed on Jakku as a result.

EDIT: Didn't read the 1000 year thing.. no chance.

This really needs to be in paragraphs and not bullet points

I can do that.

Ok, so this is my theory on who Rey is and what went down with Luke. There's a lot of room for modification, or small variances, but I think something like this went down. I tried to make it as short as possible, but it's still a bit of a read. Thanks for reading:

At some point after ROTJ Luke begins his training a new Jedi Academy on one of the planets. Obviously, this training isn't just physical training, but also educational, and trying to unlock ancient Jedi secrets of some of the temples.

Somewhere in here Ben Solo is dropped off to be a part of this group. He shows promise, but is somewhat disturbed frequently by visions and temptations from the dark side. Eventually, Ben finds that he's not the only one with these visions and temptations. A handful of other students also have sensed this. Additionally, these other students and Ben have discovered ancient secrets of the dark side and have dabbled in it secretly - unhappy with their slow progress, the dark side is alluring. Ben creates a secret society that will eventually be the "Knights of Ren" that we see based on these secrets.

Unsuspectingly, all of these visions and temptations are a part of Snoke's doing - an effort to discover the true power of the ancient Jedi temples. Beyond just the Knight's of Ren, Snoke has been lurking in the hearts and minds of many of the students. The level of anger, distrust, and rivalry seems to be rising among the students and Luke finds himself disturbed and frustrated. There is a darkness, but Luke cannot figure out the source.

One day an area of one of the temples is unlocked housing a young girl - the students freak out. She is a baby, but quickly displays incredible giftedness with the force. Luke takes her under his wing. This baby causes an even greater stir of jealousy and anger amongst the students. Luke seems to have essentially adopted her. Jealousy rises especially in Ben Solo, who has been the superstar so far.

At some point, Snoke makes himself known to Ben. He plays off the jealousy that has been growing in Ben. He promises him power and leadership if only he will bring the girl to him. But how?! Luke is too powerful and will stop any attempt to take this girl. Snoke promises to make a way.

During a training Rey begins to exhibit incredible ability and power. Some of the students are amazed, but many are angered and begin to feel scared and threatened by her ability. They begin to argue and the argument begins to grow out of control and a fight breaks out and one of them murders another. The fight escalates, it's irrational, but can only be explained by a dark influence. It's pure anarchy. Some trainees are trying to protect the girl, but some want to kill her because she's a "threat" and "evil."

Kylo summons his secret society and takes advantage of this situation. They step in and slaughter the trainees easily since they are the only organized group as the others fight (The last one they kill tried to take a swing at Rey). Luke comes in on the scene and rescues Rey. He pacifies the Knights of Ren, but doesn't have the heart to kill them since there's already enough blood on his hands and he knows them all. Not wanting to stay there anymore and realizing the great evil that has finally revealed himself, Luke flees with Rey.

Luke is depressed and believes himself a failure. Not only was his academy slaughtered, but it was manipulated from the inside. How could he allow the darkness to grow so deeply in his own students hearts? He begins to fear this power...he must stop it at all costs. Luke fears that this darkness may break into even his mind. He contacts one of the few surviving people familiar with Jedi lore, Lor San Tekka, and gives him bare bones information, a small map fragment, and Rey. He demands that he not know where they are going. He also demands that even Lor San Tekka should be wary holding too much information.

Luke goes out in search of the first Jedi temple to discover what Rey was originally intended for and why Snoke wants her so badly. What was so important about this ancient baby? Can she be used for good? Is she destined to be evil?

Like I said before, I love all this speculation. So many seem plausible to me. Most of us here (including myself) are able to really speculate what's happening. We did not get that with the Prequels (to this level). Since we generally knew the direction the Prequels were heading, it was simply about putting the simple pieces together. There wasn't much variance to be had. Now, everything is open ended and it is incredible. I bet if the internet was around following the release of the original movie, these would be the types of conversations the fans would be having. Could you imagine the internet argument about whether or not Darth Vader was lying to Luke!?

If Luke wemt AWOL after Kylo turned... my guess is that Rey was somehow the sole survivor of the massacre. Probably because Kylo is connected to her somehow? Kylo might have learned about Anakin killing the younglings so he mimicked him because he is such a Vader fanboy but couldnt bring himself to kill Rey for whatever reason. Luke comes back to find everyone slaughtered but Rey and just says fuck this shit and drops her off on Jakku and bounces. Who knows if she even displayed any speacial gifts as a kid.

She probably did though considering how fast she is learning.

Hmm, not bad, I like the stuff about the knights of ren and Luke's rationale for staying hidden. But I have to go thumbs down on the Rey developments. It reads like space jesus dialed up to 11.

I think there's some leeway to what she actually is. She could be a part of a larger puzzle. For lack of better word, she may be one of a few horocruxes Snoke needs.

Big picture I'm trying to connect is the temple, the maps, Snoke, Kylo, and Rey's memories, and her connection to Luke. I just don't buy that she's his actual daughter.

I think the Knights of Ren would have been already started by Snoke, not Ben. Snoke wanted Ben to be the leader and gave him the moniker Kylo after he got Ben to deflect.

XAL

I think there's some leeway to what she actually is. She could be a part of a larger puzzle. For lack of better word, she may be one of a few horocruxes Snoke needs.

Big picture I'm trying to connect is the temple, the maps, Snoke, Kylo, and Rey's memories, and her connection to Luke. I just don't buy that she's his actual daughter.

Also, I think Lor San Tekka was a Church of the Force acolyte. Kind of like light side monks. What if some of the Knights of Ren are non-force capable acolytes?

So is Phasma gonna be this trilogy's Boba? Looks awesome, but ultimately doesn't do much of worth and get's clowned by the protagonists.

At least she looks cool.

I think the Knights of Ren would have been already started by Snoke, not Ben. Snoke wanted Ben to be the leader and gave him the moniker Kylo after he got Ben to deflect.

I think regardless of where they came from, they arrived during a already bad news situation, which is how they were able to kill all the academy students. Personally, I think Snoke "started the Knights of Ren" by bringing them together at the temple as an underground society. He literally corrupted and leeched Luke's trainees.

Brakke

Banned

Y'all just ain't willing to give Kylo a W huh. Couldn't have been Kylo on his own, gotta be a gift from Evil Papa Meltface?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Man... Jakku seems even more miserable than Tatooine.

And Luke had a comfortable family life. Rey lived alone in a box. That she's so well-adjusted is comical.

Also, I think Lor San Tekka was a Church of the Force acolyte. Kind of like light side monks. What if some of the Knights of Ren are non-force capable acolytes?

Hmm possible, though they seem to be decent fighters. I'm of the opinion that they may have just been lower level trainees. Adept in the force, but not too strong. This leads to a potential fight that is kind of like the Matrix "Chateau" fight with all the different weapons.

Also this is from the SWC Databank:

"A legendary traveler and explorer, Lor San Tekka is a longtime ally of the New Republic and the Resistance. After the Battle of Endor, San Tekka helped Luke Skywalker recover secret Jedi lore that the Empire had tried to erase, and Leia Organa hopes the old scout can now help find her brother. Following decades of adventure, San Tekka retired to live simply on Jakku, where he follows the dictates of the once-forbidden Church of the Force. But his retirement is fated to be anything but peaceful."

I think regardless of where they came from, they arrived during a already bad news situation, which is how they were able to kill all the academy students. Personally, I think Snoke "started the Knights of Ren" by bringing them together at the temple as an underground society. He literally corrupted and leeched Luke's trainees.
I can dig it.

Y'all just ain't willing to give Kylo a W huh. Couldn't have been Kylo on his own, gotta be a gift from Evil Papa Meltface?
I like Kylo lol.. I think he was always fascinated by the story of Anakin/Vader and Snoke uses that to manipulate him.

El Jaffe

So is Phasma gonna be this trilogy's Boba? Looks awesome, but ultimately doesn't do much of worth and get's clowned by the protagonists.

At least she looks cool.
Not only did she not do anything cool, she was a wimp and lowered the shields which got the whole planet destroyed by the rebels. I get the whole self-preservation thing and she honestly didn't think they would actually win, but it'll take a lot for me to thing she is a badass again.

Do guys think that Kylo would be redeemed by the end of this trilogy?
I kinda hope not. I rather him go full dark side or at least morally conflicted.
We've already with through that with Vader.

I think I found the beginning:

Which SOMEHOW lead to:

No, no we did not do it. NOOooooOooOoO.

Damn fan theories. I'm pretty sure this is something I specified to NOT have happen to Rey.

No more midichlorians babies.

ABORT THESE MIDICHLORIAN BABIES.

What if there were no midichlorian babies and Snoke is Anakin's father? He wiped Shmi's memory and dumped her on a desert planet when he was done with her. Then, years later, his great grandson does the same to Rey after he destroys the new Jedi academy in hopes that growing up similar to Anakin would create the perfect environment for her to become his queen when he returns to "save" her and train her in the ways of the force. ...even if they're related, I don't think Kylo would care, honestly...

At least she looks cool.

Wasn't she in the trash compactor when Starkiller Base exploded?

Excited for the future of Rey, not even speculating but I'm gonna guess she's not 1000 years old.

and Traitor-Trooper is 100% the new Boba Fett, when he yelled out at Finn and busted out the baton people in my theatre were going nuts.

I can do that.

Ok, so this is my theory on who Rey is and what went down with Luke. There's a lot of room for modification, or small variances, but I think something like this went down. I tried to make it as short as possible, but it's still a bit of a read. Thanks for reading:

At some point after ROTJ Luke begins his training a new Jedi Academy on one of the planets. Obviously, this training isn't just physical training, but also educational, and trying to unlock ancient Jedi secrets of some of the temples.

Somewhere in here Ben Solo is dropped off to be a part of this group. He shows promise, but is somewhat disturbed frequently by visions and temptations from the dark side. Eventually, Ben finds that he's not the only one with these visions and temptations. A handful of other students also have sensed this. Additionally, these other students and Ben have discovered ancient secrets of the dark side and have dabbled in it secretly - unhappy with their slow progress, the dark side is alluring. Ben creates a secret society that will eventually be the "Knights of Ren" that we see based on these secrets.

Unsuspectingly, all of these visions and temptations are a part of Snoke's doing - an effort to discover the true power of the ancient Jedi temples. Beyond just the Knight's of Ren, Snoke has been lurking in the hearts and minds of many of the students. The level of anger, distrust, and rivalry seems to be rising among the students and Luke finds himself disturbed and frustrated. There is a darkness, but Luke cannot figure out the source.

One day an area of one of the temples is unlocked housing a young girl - the students freak out. She is a baby, but quickly displays incredible giftedness with the force. Luke takes her under his wing. This baby causes an even greater stir of jealousy and anger amongst the students. Luke seems to have essentially adopted her. Jealousy rises especially in Ben Solo, who has been the superstar so far.

At some point, Snoke makes himself known to Ben. He plays off the jealousy that has been growing in Ben. He promises him power and leadership if only he will bring the girl to him. But how?! Luke is too powerful and will stop any attempt to take this girl. Snoke promises to make a way.

During a training Rey begins to exhibit incredible ability and power. Some of the students are amazed, but many are angered and begin to feel scared and threatened by her ability. They begin to argue and the argument begins to grow out of control and a fight breaks out and one of them murders another. The fight escalates, it's irrational, but can only be explained by a dark influence. It's pure anarchy. Some trainees are trying to protect the girl, but some want to kill her because she's a "threat" and "evil."

Kylo summons his secret society and takes advantage of this situation. They step in and slaughter the trainees easily since they are the only organized group as the others fight (The last one they kill tried to take a swing at Rey). Luke comes in on the scene and rescues Rey. He pacifies the Knights of Ren, but doesn't have the heart to kill them since there's already enough blood on his hands and he knows them all. Not wanting to stay there anymore and realizing the great evil that has finally revealed himself, Luke flees with Rey.

Luke is depressed and believes himself a failure. Not only was his academy slaughtered, but it was manipulated from the inside. How could he allow the darkness to grow so deeply in his own students hearts? He begins to fear this power...he must stop it at all costs. Luke fears that this darkness may break into even his mind. He contacts one of the few surviving people familiar with Jedi lore, Lor San Tekka, and gives him bare bones information, a small map fragment, and Rey. He demands that he not know where they are going. He also demands that even Lor San Tekka should be wary holding too much information.

Luke goes out in search of the first Jedi temple to discover what Rey was originally intended for and why Snoke wants her so badly. What was so important about this ancient baby? Can she be used for good? Is she destined to be evil?

I like this. I always thought Rey would be Lukes Daughter but this shit makes even more sense. Enough with the daughters and sons in these films. This sounds kick ass.

So Rey is part of some ancient prophecy the Empire tried to suppress?

My theory that she's an "artifact" is probably unlikely, but possible.

I think somehow she's linked with a temple connection and ancient Jedi though.

I also imagine the temples could be a location where Palpatine would be trying to create child/life as well, perhaps to defeat Snoke?

Or it could be where ancient Jedi were trying to house a child to defeat Snoke.

Basically I think somehow though Temple Secrets = Rey's background = Weapon to defeat Snoke.

Aselith

I just got back from this movie and I noticed that Rey holds a lot of stuff up for weirdly long times. When she shows Han the compressor she bypassed she holds it at eye level for like 3 cuts back and forth (and it changes positions when it cuts to Han CONTINUITY ERROR OMG), she also holds up the blaster he hands her for a really long time and he actually pushed it down and then of course the infamous lightsaber ending.

I feel like they really should have ended the movie with her and Chewie blasting off into hyperspace and then maybe put the island thing as a stinger or cut it entirely. It's just a very odd place to stop.

Also , I noticed on BB-8 is when he's holding the little shocker stick out at Finn, he makes a little whirring growl that I didn't notice the first time which is precious.

My theory that she's an "artifact" is probably unlikely, but possible.

I think somehow she's linked with a temple connection and ancient Jedi though.

I also imagine the temples could be a location where Palpatine would be trying to create child/life as well, perhaps to defeat Snoke?

Or it could be where ancient Jedi were trying to house a child to defeat Snoke.

Basically I think somehow though Temple Secrets = Rey's background = Weapon to defeat Snoke.
All sounds cool and I think there is definitely something here.

Basically I'm looking for the music in this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs
Sorry I cant answer your question.. i dont know what track that is...

What I want to know is who Luke is talking to there? Kylo or Rey?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah her astromech was probably connected to the central computer.

But seriously, she should have had access to just open the door and walk out once she was down there.

How many garbage compactors have you seen with controls on the inside?

Mariolee

How many garbage compactors have you seen with controls on the inside?

This one.

star-wars-trash-compactor.jpg

Some buttons on the side of the door.

The track is a customized track of OT music.

Also, the lines are directly from ROTJ
Oh yeah. I remember that being discussed before... isnt it a rerecording of the same line? I dont remember him saying "you have that power too" in ROTJ. I thought he stopped at "my sister has it".

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So Rey is part of some ancient prophecy the Empire tried to suppress?
"You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force?"
8591-23933.jpg

Oh yeah. I remember that being discussed before... isnt it a rerecording of the same line? I dont remember him saying "you have that power too" in ROTJ. I thought he stopped at "my sister has it".

No, I just did a marathon a week before TFA. He definitely says that, but it's re-arranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom