• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliesen

Rey is Luke´s daughter, at least based on the trailer.

Luke says "the force is strong in my family, my father has it, my sister has it, i have it, and you have it". He was talking about Rey not nu Vader.

seeing as the line isn't in the movie, we don't know who he's been talking to. We have literally zero information. So it might also be something he said to Ben Organa-Solo at the beginning of his training.

Carn82

Nah, you're totally forgetting when he choked the shit out of one of his officers.

True, but in the end it didnt happen..

Hux seems to be willing to 'outrank' Ren when needed, but I when I think about it, Tarkin didnt seem to have much issues with Vader either; so I I guess that the whole Imperial general vs Evil Enforcer dynamic hasnt changed much.

I can't be the only one to see similarities...

star-wars-vanity-fair-kylo-ren-adam-driver-daisey-ridley-rey.jpg

aang_vs_zuko_by_cierseruwal.jpg

Veelk

Banned
Some other Vader-isms (yes, I'm reaching but I'm sure they are nods)

- A New Hope: Vader says '“Leave that to me", while Ren says "I`ll leave that to you"; showing a difference in how they see their own responsibilities.

- Ren, when dissapointed, seems to channel his rage on inanimate objects instead on his 'servants', which makes him look foolish, compared to Vader instilling fear because you`ll probably die if you screw up

Personally, I feel it's the opposite. Ideally, Ren would have his anger issues in control. However, offing subordinates because of single mistakes is a moronic command tactic that makes the subordinates not fear you (or not ust fear you), but hate you. Realistically, such a policy causes its practitioners to kill off many of their own skilled leaders, while leaving the survivors demoralized, afraid to take initiative, more concerned with sucking up and dodging blame than with actually doing their jobs well, and inclined to either desert, defect, or kill their boss before he kills them.

Thrawn had it right. The way Vader and Palpatine did is stupid because killing failures leads to less innovation, and also people fight more effectively when their leader inspires them. So he didn't punish failure, just irredeemable stupidity. If a subordinate failed, but was smart in how he tried to go about the problem and earnestly loyal to the empire, he got promoted.

Fliesen

Personally, I feel it's the opposite. Ideally, Ren would have his anger issues in control. However, offing subordinates because of single mistakes is a moronic command tactic that makes the subordinates not only fear you, but hate you as well.

Thrawn had it right. The way Vader and Palpatine did is stupid because killing failures leads to less innovation, and also people fight more effectively when their leader inspires them. So he didn't punish failure, just irredeemable stupidity. If a subordinate failed, but was smart in how he tried to go about the problem and earnestly loyal to the empire, he got promoted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jdQqjcsfC8

I just don't think Finn was a strong as a character as Rey.

his arc went from being a soldier
to
joining up with some weird chick and her little ball robot who want to find some space wizard - just so long as they were needed for him to save his own ass
to
eventually putting the life of a dear friend over his own and literally step into the lion's den.

Maybe. It's just signaled so heavily, it might be a red herring.
I thought about this, but it would be very stupid.
Not able to check, but isnt that line the same as in Return of the Jedi (Luke to Leia), but recorded again and cut differently?

Why would they put it in the trailer then if not to pseudo-confirm Rey´s linage? A lot of things in the movie point to her being Luke´s daughter. Why would she have the vision when she first opened the box and touched the light saber? There has to be some blood connection there, or Luke´s light saber should not hold any significance to her.

I can't be the only one to see similarities...

[/IMG]http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/star-wars-vanity-fair-kylo-ren-adam-driver-daisey-ridley-rey.jpg[/IMG]

[/IMG]http://img06.deviantart.net/d5d7/i/2008/152/7/5/aang_vs_zuko_by_cierseruwal.jpg[/IMG]

I can see Kylo and Zuko walking a similar path.

I DO NOT see Rey as a parallel to Aang at all. Maybe MAYBE closer to Korra, but even that is a stretch.

You're not! I'm thinking Uncle Luke could help Kylo see the light.

Now I want Luke to be a parellel to Iroh, and give amazing advice that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the situation.

Carn82

Personally, I feel it's the opposite. Ideally, Ren would have his anger issues in control. However, offing subordinates because of single mistakes is a moronic command tactic that makes the subordinates not only fear you, but hate you as well.

Thrawn had it right. He didn't punish failure, just irredeemable stupidity. If a subordinate failed, but was smart in how he tried to go about the problem and earnestly loyal to the empire, he got promoted.

Good points. And I still hope we will see Thrawn, or at least his character type in the movies; I think he was one of the EU's best characters; he could be brutal, but like you said, he tried to do the 'right thing', even though he was working for the wrong side.

I just don't think Finn was a strong as a character as Rey.

He wasn't supposed to be "strong".

He was supposed to be vulnerable but well-intentioned and hopeful. The "human" character that the audience can easily identify with that establishes the power difference between those who can use the force and who have real comat training and those that don't.

I can see Kylo and Zuko walking a similar path.

I DO NOT see Rey as a parallel to Aang at all. Maybe MAYBE closer to Korra, but even that is a stretch.

I was meaning that the trilogy will show how the good side (rey) and the dark side (kylo) evolve. Star wars never did that before and i think they will be nemesis during the whole trilogy like Batman/Joker

Carn82

Why would they put it in the trailer then if not to pseudo-confirm Rey´s linage? A lot of things in the movie point to her being Luke´s daughter. Why would she have the vision when she first opened the box and touched the light saber? There has to be some blood connection there, or Luke´s light saber should not hold any significance to her.

Oh I agree with that, sorry that I didnt make that clear. But yeah, it seems to be the biggest pointer that it is a 'family affair', I just hope that they`ll make it kinda believeable, hehe.

- Ren, when dissapointed, seems to channel his rage on inanimate objects instead on his 'servants', which makes him look foolish, compared to Vader instilling fear because you`ll probably die if you screw up

On the other hand, those two stormtroopers knew what was up.

I've never seen The Last Airbender. The only Anime thing TFA reminded me of was Nausicaa at the very beginning when Rey was looking for scraps.

In the last airbender, the bad guy on the right is obsessed by the good guy (on the left) and want to destroy him to be more like his (bad) father) , but he's also tempted by the light side.
Much like Kylo Ren and i supposed in SW8 he will be obssesed by Rey and want to find her again.

Gorillaz

Finn was mostly important with the shield stuff on starkiller but in general yea he didnt push it forward

Im curious how they will market him next time. As much as people like to say he was the heart of the film he wasn't exactly carrying alot of weight in terms of winning in action set pieces other then being a gunner.

Like, they can't do the same marketing strategy with him next movie on some "wow dude is so brave" because they played that card for this one and basically was outed as the janitor in space with heart. Nobody is going to buy that shit again a 2nd time.

Fliesen

He wasn't supposed to be "strong".

He was supposed to be vulnerable but well-intentioned and hopeful. The "human" character that the audience can easily identify with that establishes the power difference between those who can use the force and who have real comat training and those that don't.

With regards to selflessness / courage he was both Han Solo ("i gotta get outta here, i don't care for your war") and Luke ("we have to do the right thing. We have to save a person in danger") throughout the course of this film. It's a nice arc.

seeing as the line isn't in the movie, we don't know who he's been talking to. We have literally zero information. So it might also be something he said to Ben Organa-Solo at the beginning of his training.

And that pissed me off, not being in the movie, because i was waiting for it. It can´t be Ben because Ben already knew his linage. He knew about his mom, dad, and uncle, most likely his grandpa too. Why would Luke say that to Ben instead of someone who does not know their own history? It does not make sense that Luke is saying that to Ben.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And that pissed me off, not being in the movie, because i was waiting for it. It can´t be Ben because Ben already knew his linage. He knew about his mom, dad, and uncle, most likely his grandpa too. Why would Luke say that to Ben instead of someone who does not know their own history? It does not make sense that Luke is saying that to Ben.

It can be Ben as a child, Luke telling him about the Force.

Maybe when he was teaching the Force to him?

Gonzalez

Banned
Finn was mostly important with the shield stuff on starkiller but in general yea he didnt push it forward

Im curious how they will market him next time. As much as people like to say he was the heart of the film he wasn't exactly carrying alot of weight in terms of winning in action set pieces other then being a gunner.

Like, they can't do the same marketing strategy with him next movie on some "wow dude is so brave" because they played that card for this one and basically was outed as the janitor in space with heart. Nobody is going to buy that shit again a 2nd time.
Did anyone else come away with the impression that Finn was a toned down human version of Jar Jar?

d1rtn4p

Hope they do a directors cut for the bluray release. Still super butt hurt that they took out the shot with the xwings flying over the water. Was literally like the coolest thing I've ever seen. Should have shaved a few seconds off one of Kylo's spaz sessions to get it in.

Fliesen

i don't think the Line is meant to say "we're related"
it could be very well meant to say "your granpa was a jedi, your uncle's a jedi, your mom's somewhat of a jedi ... so guess what ... "

The explicit information of that sentence is "you have that power" not "we are related".

Just because Luke used it as a *nudge nudge* to inform Leia she's his sister doesn't mean he'll always be using that indirect way of speaking.

Nodnol

It doesn't make sense that Luke says it to anyone, other than Leia, whom he already said it too. They just played around with the conversation with Leia in ROTJ; it would have been silly to have Luke repeat that speech to someone else.

For me Kylo is an iconic villain now. He fits so good in the dark side than any of bad guys before (except Palpatine)

I like the very idea of exploring the road to damnation. Hollywood hasn't really explored that mythical archetype yet, aside from Gollum. They could go about it either way by the third film, but going with the anti-redemption story is an equally valid choice to make as well.

I like the fact that he's a villain who's not quite established yet. And I really like Adam Driver's performance in this -- both with the mask and without it. Alot of subtlety and focus in his deliveries. He's everything that Hayden Christensen was supposed to be in the prequels.

Another trope from the OT that I'd like to see this trilogy possibly subvert is having Kylo Ren deposing of Snoke. Make him as much of an obstacle to Ren as he will probably be to Rey. The Hero's Journey is a device that's always present in these types of genres, but rarely do you ever see the villain's journey. The best potential here is that you have two characters who's ascension can parallel one another from within their ranks, as opposed to the OT, where Vader was an already established villain while Luke was still in the early stages of his journey.

I don't really care for Anakin's journey in the prequels because of how poorly executed that film was. I now consider the original Star Wars trilogy as the Star Wars prequel worth watching.

Nope, Finn is not Force sensitive.

I got the sense that Maz Kanata is force sensitive in the sense that, while not a jedi, the way she speaks seems to imply that she possess a faint measure of clairvuoyant abilities. At least that's the impression I got out of the cryptic use of her words to Rey. I always liked the notion of the Jedi Order having indirectly bringing about its own demise, and that the New Jedi Order that would emerge to take its place was one of more inclusiveness, and one that discarded outdated dogma and rituals. Similar to progressive catholic nuns or other religious followers who have adopted more progressive philosophies and discipline, while breaking away from the old.

I figure that it could either be Luke or Rey that ushers in that new type of regime. You could have Luke do away with the Jedi robes as one symbolic break from tradition, for example. I always found those robes to be impractical. The jedi are always having to disrobe everytime they engage in a light saber duel. It would also allow the writers to allow Rey to be in a romance. Contrary to many here in the discussion, I wouldn't mind her being in a relationship. Daisy Ridley did a fine job in Force Awakens. I have confidence that she would be up to the challenge in Episode VIII.

If anything, the prequels should have made an argument that because the Jedi Order seemed so out of touch from Anakin's point of view, that he felt justified in betraying the order. I'm sure there are Catholics who have been tempted to leave the church because of rigid clerical doctrine from the Vatican. The Jedi Order's vow of celibacy seems as out of touch within the Star Wars universe as the real life Catholic Church's demands upon its priests and nuns. I don't think that the prequels made a good argument. It seemed like the only thing the Jedi Council was ever guilty of was its members being stupid.

Carn82

I think he`ll get a version of the Han Solo 'I dont want to get involved' storyline. He needs to find his 'cause to fight for', I'm sure that will be a the theme for him.

valkyre

Am I the only one who is extremely worried about how episode 8 and episode 9 will turn out, when, -from the looks of it- it seems these movies will be made by completely different people in key roles?

Cinematographer is different, director is different, writer is different...

Who is there as a common denominator to keep things glued together and have a consistent vision?

I know the OT used different persons also in key positions, but Lucas as well as other people were involved in all 3 films to ensure that things will turn out like they are supposed to.

I think he`ll get a version of the Han Solo 'I dont want to get involved' storyline. He needs to find his 'cause to fight for', I'm sure that will be a the theme for him.

well Poe wants him and he wants Rey...
A love triangle with one men and one female for Finn...that would be an innovation for blockbusters

Am I the only one who is extremely worried about how episode 8 and episode 9 will turn out, when, -from the looks of it- it seems these movies will be made by completely different people in key roles?

Who is there as a common denominator to keep things glued together and have a consistent vision?

I know the OT used different persons also in key positions, but Lucas as well as other people were involved in all 3 films to ensure that things will turn out like they are supposed to.

Kathy Kennedy and the story group should be the glue. JJ's also on VIII as EP, though I don't know how prominent his role will be. Rian Johnson's writing and directing VIII and doing at least the story treatment for IX. We don't know who's writing the screenplay yet. I'm pretty confident it'll all fit together. There seems to be a good level of continuity with Rian visiting TFA set and speaking with JJ a lot. Treverrow will be doing the same with VIII's filming.

Nodnol

Kathleen Kennedy? The Story group? JJ will be a producer for 8, and I would guess Johnson will be a producer on 8, to help with the transition.

Edit: Beaten.

Rey is Luke´s daughter, at least based on the trailer.

Luke says "the force is strong in my family, my father has it, my sister has it, i have it, and you have it". He was talking about Rey not nu Vader.

Let´s check some facts, The movie is about Rey awakening the force within her, hence the force awakening. Why would there be a focus on a no name protagonist? Why would she the one to meet Luke not Leia, or anyone else for that matter? She can´t have that kind of a strong force without her being a daughter of someone whom the force is strong within. I would even argue that Leia recognized her when they met.

I would say Leia's body language towards Rey is definitely one of familiarity.

He'll be the new Solo, different, but same sort of role. Probably chewbacca's new bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom