• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blunoise

I dont think Finn is very damaged just got a slice in his back nothing major. Which is why he is just laying on some bed, not a tank.

Also Dora's anyone else think that in his coma the force is awakening in him? I have always though that the 2 orphans Rey and Finn have very similarities and are apart of this new force awakening. Of course Rey has the upper hand

Finn should totally get a dead space type of suit with a health indicator on his spine

2.jpg

this way the nerds will have a visual representation of his power level

because that's SO important

I will be irate.

The first order had a lot of support from the restored Senate. A lot of senators found life easier with the empire and felt anxious to get back to that. So they were secretly funding the First Order.

Where's that mentioned? I remember reading that some senators were supporting the Resistance, but not the First Order. Their powers were severely limited during the Emperor's reign. I doubt many would want a return to that situation.

Where's that mentioned? I remember reading that some senators were supporting the Resistance, but not the First Order. Their powers were severely limited during the Emperor's reign.

I think it was the novelization.

Someone posted it here before Xmas, so I'm not sure.

It was like a detailed write-up of the current political situation as well as what had happened for the past 30 years.

Boke1879

Oddly enough, Ray Fisher (The guy playing Cyborg) was said to be in the running for Finn. I think he was like, one of the last five.

I got a sense that both characters were meant to represent people that were sheltered in this way (And the EU material backs that up. Finn is obviously a ST, Rey is a somewhat paranoid scavenger).

QhlGnSO.gif

RwYnfVS.gif

Doesn't look shocked to me. Scene is cut a bit, but Finn ask how she escaped, she tells him he wouldn't believe her, Han makes a quip.

I think it's just a fact of them both feeling a connection. Finn never had someone like Rey look at him they she did. He was ashamed of who he was. She's hugging him because she's never had anyone come back for her. She never thought they'd come for her, and when she found out it was his idea she immediately hugs him. He's her "family" now.

Gnome

I love those, Star Wars is sloppier than either movie

It's still pretty fun but are people really trying to say force awakens did as tight a job as that did in world building? This very much felt like a movie that had to cut for time rather than give us a super concise package of everything we needed to know

Also man it never really cools down. A few more minutes in the falcon with han would have been great

Edit: ray fisher as Finn would have been strange haha, dude is literally Ali's size. Boyega looks more believable in the role
Star Wars may be sloppier but it also holds your hand more through its narrative. I'm just saying that if you have trouble following Star Wars then you'd probably find those other movies unwatchable.

Gnome

The first order had a lot of support from the restored Senate. A lot of senators found life easier with the empire and felt anxious to get back to that. So they were secretly funding the First Order.
Interesting, I expect we might learn more about this in a companion movie.

Boke1879

Vader may be limited in mobility because of his suit but he's still more than capable is still VERY strong and proficient in the force.

injurai

Banned
As a gay woman, can you two point me to all these "strong female characters" that are gay? Cause I'm having a hard time finding them. Maybe I missed them?

Or is this a case where having one or two in the last ten years is enough?

You twist what I and the other person say. There is this common thing where people express they don't want to see a leading women find a relationship unless it's a women. Because only that would be enjoyed, or "awesome." The only issue that was taken is this devaluing of women winning over a man when they are the leading role. Which is also something that is not often seen.

Where did he say that? I know they decided not to use his story treatment but four scripts?

NyMartin has a bad telephone line somewhere. Lucas didn't say "I generally like it," Kathleen Kennedy said he really liked it. He never had four completed scripts. There were no scripts from him, period. There were notes that were handed over as part of the sale. Lucas never even wrote a treatment for the sequel trilogy before the sale commenced.

Boke1879

Also Vader is very methodical and cunning. Always calm even when he's pissed. Even when he got the suit. He still helped hunt and kill Jedi. Definitely more than capable.

There is this common thing where people express they don't want to see a leading women find a relationship unless it's a women.
Can you point me some examples of this? Because you're being ridiculous. Almost 100% of female protagonists we see in films (the rate is lower, but still pretty high for TV) are attracted to men. Having Rey be gay would not be a condemnation of straight women — what a ludicrous thought process! — and, in fact, would send quite the powerful message that it's okay to be different.

You shouldn't have a problem with this.

Ophelion

Vader may be limited in mobility because of his suit but he's still more than capable is still VERY strong and proficient in the force.

And I wonder if that is just a limitation of filmmaking. Was Vader meant to be read as having limitations in mobility in the fiction or is that just an unfortunate reality of having to depict a guy in an actual suit on film? Like, Batman couldn't turn his neck until The Dark Knight and yet, that one joke in The Dark Knight aside, I never believed that in the fiction of the movies I was meant to believe that Batman couldn't actually turn his neck. He was an expert fighter. Being able to not turn his head would be completely unacceptable.

Because in a lot of supplemental material, like comics and videogames and such, Darth Vader is frighteningly fast and still hits like a goddamn truck. He's like a Dark Souls boss: a huge monstrous thing that doesn't look like it should be able to move like it does and can crush you with so much as one mistake.

injurai

Banned
I think it's just a fact of them both feeling a connection. Finn never had someone like Rey look at him they she did. He was ashamed of who he was. She's hugging him because she's never had anyone come back for her. She never thought they'd come for her, and when she found out it was his idea she immediately hugs him. He's her "family" now.

Yeah, for now I see them as family first.

Boke1879

Can you point me some examples of this? Because you're being ridiculous. Almost 100% of female protagonists we see in films (the rate is lower, but still pretty high for TV) are attracted to men. Having Rey be gay would not be a condemnation of straight women — what a ludicrous thought process! — and, in fact, would send quite the powerful message that it's okay to be different.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it, but at least right now. There just isn't anything that supports that. I said earlier that I think the seeds are already kinda sown between Rey and Finn. At least from his side more so. She clearly cares for him as well. Where they go with that. Who knows.

I mean we have more evidence that Finn and Poe could possibly end up together than Rey being lesbian.

heringer

And I wonder if that is just a limitation of filmmaking. Was Vader meant to be read as having limitations in mobility in the fiction or is that just an unfortunate reality of having to depict a guy in an actual suit on film? Like, Batman couldn't turn his neck until The Dark Knight and yet, that one joke in The Dark Knight aside, I never believed that in the fiction of the movies I was meant to believe that Batman couldn't actually turn his neck. He was an expert fighter. Being able to not turn his head would be completely unacceptable.

Because in a lot of supplemental material, like comics and videogames and such, Darth Vader is frighteningly fast and still hits like a goddamn truck. He's like a Dark Souls boss: a huge monstrous thing that doesn't look like it should be able to move like it does and can crush you with so much as one mistake.

Not to mention Grievous was more machine than Vader and pretty agile. Did they just use crappy, outdated technology on Vader? I don't think so. It was a filmmaking limitation, because nowhere in the movies they say anything like Vader's skills are being constrained by his body.

Boke1879

That's very possible as well. It's a big guy in a suit. There's only so much you can do.

Patapwn

Uh oh, that sounds awfully close to being friendzoned

injurai

Banned

I never said I had a problem with her being gay. I said I thought it was trying when people say things like "I prefer Rey not hook up with anyone...unless it was with another woman. Cause that would be awesome." Your words. As for examples, I've seen the sentiment around gaf before, and I'm not going to waste my time digging them up. But your comment is one, so we at least know the sentiment exist. Let's not put words in my mouth and argue against things I'm not saying.

Was just reading that they were apparently considering using Anakin's Force Ghost in this movie, with both Vader and Hayden Christensen versions appearing. Makes me a bit more nervous that the rumor he's coming back for VIII may end up happening.

Like, I know that rumor was supposedly bullshit, but I really hope Rian doesn't go that route. After how much this movie seemed to distance themselves from the prequels, I don't see it happening, but...man, I still worry.

I do think that, to some extent, it was a deliberate stylistic choice to have his motions be very deliberate and somewhat slow, albeit in more of the "Slasher Movie Villain" sort of way where there's an implication that he's moving slow because he feels no particular need to rush.

There's some mild implication that he has a degree of impairment in the scene where he's meditating in the weird sphere thing, but it's certainly never made a major plot point that Vader's suffering some sort of huge mobility handicap. (And even then, the composition of that scene reads very strongly that the implication is Vader has becomes inhuman, not less than human.)

I loved that last shot of Luke. Thatnone look had so much surprise, sadness, pain and fear from what Luke had done and what he knew he had to do now. Two of the most powerful shots of the franchise belong to Hamil. And the stark diference between where Luke started as a naieve farmboy and now a grisled old man is compelling. I look forward to learning more about his journey.

HUzNnf6.jpg

teiU4MS.jpg

NyMartin has a bad telephone line somewhere. Lucas didn't say "I generally like it," Kathleen Kennedy said he really liked it. He never had four completed scripts. There were no scripts from him, period. There were notes that were handed over as part of the sale. Lucas never even wrote a treatment for the sequel trilogy before the sale commenced.

The four scripts info was from the thread on theforce.net which may or may not be true. Sorry if I offended anyone. The other info is from the full Charlie Rose interview
http://www.charlierose.com/.
It wasn't a direct quote on the "generally like" but look at his reaction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISbsgIidK8

Boke1879

Uh oh, that sounds awfully close to being friendzoned

But no where in the movie does Rey show reciprocation to Finn's feelings. He's clearly attracted to her in the beginning which I think transforms into him caring about who she is. Like he said. "You looked at me like no one else ever has"

Rey cares about Finn but not in a romantic way. She cares for him as a friend and possibly family now. Sure that can transform into something more as the series goes on if they decide to go that route. And I don't feel Finn feels that he is "friendzoned".

Outside of those early interactions. Where Finn asks if she has a bf. He doesn't really continue to flirt in that regard. I think it changes from him trying to help and protect her. She got dragged in the mess too. He tells her to come with him at Maz's places, and when she refuses he tells her to take care of herself. He was willing to part ways then. Only to come back after the planets got destroyed and he saw her being carried away.

The four scripts info was from the thread on theforce.net which may or may not be true.

You didn't offend anyone, it's just that taking information from another forum's messageboard thread as if anyone at that forum actually knows anything (and a very, very large percentage of the people posting at TheForce.Net don't, and willfully refuse to) leads to more misinformation.

Also, fans have proven to be the absolute worst at "reading" George Lucas' emotional state via interview. As an exercise in projection and confirmation bias, it's fun, I guess, but usually it has not much of much to do with accuracy.

Hey guys,

Just listened to the Polygon Minimap/Worldmap podcast trilogy talking about the movie. At one point, one of the hosts mentions the adorable idea that at one point, Chewbacca probably held/cuddled/babysat a young Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, and what an adorable image that was.

Which makes me realize: Chewie then tried to kill the child he had likely helped raise a little bit, when he unloaded on Kylo. Adds an extra dabble of tragedy onto that scene.

hqdefault.jpg

heringer

The four scripts info was from the thread on theforce.net which may or may not be true. Sorry if I offended anyone. The other info is from the full Charlie Rose interview
http://www.charlierose.com/.
It wasn't a direct quote on the "generally like" but look at his reaction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISbsgIidK8

Yeah, he doesn't soud like he liked the movie very much, lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks they took the movie on a completely wrong direction.

I wish I could read the script he wrote!

Boke1879

You didn't offend anyone, it's just that taking information from another forum's messageboard thread as if anyone at that forum actually knows anything (and a very, very large percentage of the people posting at TheForce.Net don't, and willfully refuse to) leads to more misinformation.

Also, fans have proven to be the absolute worst at "reading" George Lucas' emotional state via interview. As an exercise in projection and confirmation bias, it's fun, I guess, but usually it has not much of much to do with accuracy.

Lucas in many of his interviews has this look and tone of "I don't care" but that's how he is and he's very honest. So you combine those to elements and people make up shit to see.

Thanks yea my mistake. Anyways you guys should watch the Charlie Rose interview and interpret what he says for yourselves its great.
http://www.charlierose.com/

Ophelion

I do think that, to some extent, it was a deliberate stylistic choice to have his motions be very deliberate and somewhat slow, albeit in more of the "Slasher Movie Villain" sort of way where there's an implication that he's moving slow because he feels no particular need to rush.

There's some mild implication that he has a degree of impairment in the scene where he's meditating in the weird sphere thing, but it's certainly never made a major plot point that Vader's suffering some sort of huge mobility handicap. (And even then, the composition of that scene reads very strongly that the implication is Vader has becomes inhuman, not less than human.)

To add to this, there a moments in the Empire duel where Vader just seems to vanish and Luke is jumpily looking around himself, waiting for the old horror to spring out of some crevice, lightsaber drawn. All he can hear is that breathing and it sounds like it's coming from everywhere. It sure seems like Vader can be very quick when you're not looking...

And that scene you're talking about, where the admiral comes in and sees the back of Vader's scarred head before the helmet comes down and the admiral looks like he might throw up for a second before he regains his composure? That's one of my favorite scenes in the entire Star Wars saga. What great visual storytelling.

Hey guys,

Just listened to the Polygon Minimap/Worldmap podcast trilogy talking about the movie. At one point, one of the hosts mentions the adorable idea that at one point, Chewbacca probably held/cuddled/babysat a young Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, and what an adorable image that was.

Which makes me realize: Chewie then tried to kill the child he had likely helped raise a little bit, when he unloaded on Kylo. Adds an extra dabble of tragedy onto that scene.
I thought about that, too. He was probably there when Ben was born

And then he fucking shot him in the gut. Chewbacca doesn't fuck around.

Interfectum

How come the Resistance didn't show much if any progress in technology while The Order went and invented a Sun vacuum?

As one its first acts following the signing of the the Galactic Concordance, the Senate passed the Military Disarmament Act which drastically cut the New Republic's military to a large but limited in ability peacekeeping force, an early goal of Mon Mothma's. The move was lauded by most who believed that the remaining Imperial hardliners posed no threat. Leia Organa disagreed and was sidelined from the New Republic's political process. Organa then formed the Resistance, a private military force which kept watch over the First Order's movements. Although she petitioned for assistance from the New Republic, the Senate was too self-absorbed to take much notice and its slow political process frustrated the former princess.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/New_Republic

I agree it was a nice dynamic. I was only arguing that it was equal throughout the film.

People are make huge leaps to paint some inevitable intimate relationship between Finn and Rey. They are both there for each other when neither had anyone to rely on. Ever.
They are each other's first true companionship. That doesn't draw a straight line to romance. If anything, it seals how loyal they will remain to one another as friends for the duration of this saga from here on out.

Ultimately, this is about three characters learning to fulfill their destiny. What their sex preferences are or who they want to tongue is entirely irrelevant.

Reading the book the first thing that struck me when Finn is hurt and he asks Rey if she's OK, she doesn't look at him weird because he was hurt, she looked at him weird because no one ever asked her that before.

Also, Jedi are not supposed to be in love. Have we learned nothing from Anakin? Unless Luke dispensed with this "rule".

UCBooties

Finn was a Stormtrooper from birth and likely trained for ground combat sincehe could walk. But, more importantly Ren was merely toying with Finn. He never stood a chance against Ren and it was only after he managed to wound Ren through his arrogance that Ren got serious and quickly dispatched of him.

You are right about Rey though she should have never beat him.

I think that Kylo Ren may have more raw force ability (as seen by his ability to stop a blaster bolt which is crazy), but Rey is much more in tune with the living Force. Every time we see Kylo use the Force he is exerting a lot of willpower to get the result he wants. He has to push harder because he can't let go enough to tap into the power easily.

Rey on the other hand is able to open herself to the Force very easily and thus is able to accomplish a lot very quickly once she realizes it is possible. If she is letting the Force guide her movements while Kylo is relying on brute force I don't think it's unreasonable for her to outmatch him.

Kylo wants it too badly and can't unlock his full potential, Rey doesn't take any baggage when she communes with the Force and can tap into her potential more easily.

Boke1879

Reading the book the first thing that struck me when Finn is hurt and he asks Rey if she's OK, she doesn't look at him weird because he was hurt, she looked at him weird because no one ever asked her that before.

Also, Jedi are not supposed to be in love. Have we learned nothing from Anakin? Unless Luke dispensed with this "rule".

That's a shitty rule to begin with and just shows the arrogance and flawed views of the Jedi. I really hope in this new trilogy they turn that shit on it's head. Anakin had to keep his romance secret which leads to deception.

That said it's very possible Rey doesn't romance anyone. She'll be training with Luke and eventually battling Kylo/Snoke. She may not have time for it.

A part of me does want Finn/Rey to happen. It would be nice to see. But I fully expect them to be loyal friends. Which isn't an issue to me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom