• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, he doesn't soud like he liked the movie very much, lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks they took the movie on a completely wrong direction.

I wish I could read the script he wrote!

My thoughts as well. Lucas seems to be quite hurt about the way prequels have been received, which actually makes me respect the prequels even though I find it hard to enjoy them as movies.

Lucas had a vision and a need to tell the story in the prequels (the political intrigue, flawed jedis and all), and seems salty that his, eh, poetry received loud criticism.

I still like the general premise of the prequels and would be keen to learn what (probably very interesting stuff) Lucas had planned for VII-IX.

Reading the book the first thing that struck me when Finn is hurt and he asks Rey if she's OK, she doesn't look at him weird because he was hurt, she looked at him weird because no one ever asked her that before.

Also, Jedi are not supposed to be in love. Have we learned nothing from Anakin? Unless Luke dispensed with this "rule".

Well it's not like Ben or Yoda had time to teach him that old rule.

And Luke was perfectly fine with being a Jedi AND hooking up with Leia, before he found out she was his sister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7IDByqnP1A

I don't think Yoda ever got around to teaching Luke most of the dumber rules of the old Jedi.

Maybe he just wasn't worried about goofy Luke having to deal with girls. ;)

Well it's not like Ben or Yoda had time to teach him that old rule.

And Luke was perfectly fine with being a Jedi AND hooking up with Leia, before he found out she was his sister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7IDByqnP1A

Ugh. Why couldn't Kylo have killed his mom instead.

OnPoint

Hey guys,

Just listened to the Polygon Minimap/Worldmap podcast trilogy talking about the movie. At one point, one of the hosts mentions the adorable idea that at one point, Chewbacca probably held/cuddled/babysat a young Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, and what an adorable image that was.

Which makes me realize: Chewie then tried to kill the child he had likely helped raise a little bit, when he unloaded on Kylo. Adds an extra dabble of tragedy onto that scene.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-hlm8e0q078/hqdefault.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Wookie Babysitter. New band name?

sphagnum

Banned
Also, Jedi are not supposed to be in love. Have we learned nothing from Anakin? Unless Luke dispensed with this "rule".

I highly doubt Luke will follow this. The point of that rule was to show the old Jedi were detached. It's Luke's attachment that saves Vader. That's the culmination of the OT.

"I truly... deeply... love you."
Anakin-Padme-anakin-and-padme-32747221-500-260.gif

Yeah, I think that, regardless of the main plot or the other flaws, TFA brought back the thing the prequels lacked: actual chemistry.

I buy that hug between Rey and Finn more than any scene with Anakin and Padme.

It's like I'm watching Padme be forced upon.

I was kinda hoping that Luke would have realized the follies of the Jedi council and carved his own path.

Him showing up in those robes, and seeking out the first jedi temple (I think that's what Han said), seems to put that idea to rest, for now.

There's only so much time for that. When Rey shoots her first stormtrooper she stops cold in horror for a second, then snaps out of it when it's clear the danger is far from over. At least they tried. And Finn existing as a character at all does a lot to humanize the concept of a stormtrooper.

I don't really feel like his story was meant to be some window into the life of a ST, or even some attempt to humanize them, anyways. I feel like that's what fans have latched onto, and maybe marketing/media have helped promote that idea...but Finn's story didn't strike me as being particularly concerned with that. His story was about being a runner, who finally stops running when he "finds something to fight for".

Edit : They started the movie showing ST as baby killers (Except Finn). Any sort of sympathy for them went out the window right there.

I highly doubt Luke will follow this. The point of that rule was to show the old Jedi were detached. It's Luke's attachment that saves Vader. That's the culmination of the OT.

Yeah, I agree. Being so restrictive probably caused more issues in the first place. Just something I'm curious about though, if Luke will try to dissuade her from personal attachments.

I was kinda hoping that Luke would have realized the follies of the Jedi council and carved his own path.

Him showing up in those robes, and seeking out the first jedi temple (I think that's what Han said), seems to put that idea to rest, for now.

Probably, though it's hard to say without knowing the history of the Jedi now that they've wiped the slate clean. I'm no EU expert, but didn't they used to have countless thousands of years of history, even before the rise of the Republic?

He could always have gone there in hopes of finding answers, only to discover the ancient Jedi precursors were jerks. "Yeah, so it turns out the rule against getting married was just instated when the original Jedi wanted to weasel out of having to go to Master Hamo's wedding..."

Boke1879

I don't really feel like his story was meant to be some window into the life of a ST, or even some attempt to humanize them, anyways. I feel like that's what fans have latched onto, and maybe marketing/media have helped promote that idea...but Finn's story didn't strike me as being particularly concerned with that. His story was about being a runner, who finally stops running when he "finds something to fight for".

Edit : They started the movie showing ST as baby killers (Except Finn). Any sort of sympathy for them went out the window right there.

I think it's Luke looking for information. Not necessarily trying to double down on the Jedi rules.

sphagnum

Banned
Yeah, I agree. Being so restrictive probably caused more issues in the first place. Just something I'm curious about though, if Luke will try to dissuade her from personal attachments.

Right. This is the purpose of Qui-Gon, to show what can be achieved when the dogma isnt followed, but the will of the Living Force. It's why TPM is actually an important part of the saga, unlike what machete order people think.

QGJ wouldve been a good master for Anakin, unlike Obi-Wan, who was too conservative.

JesseZao

4 - When they arrive at Maz's planet, Rey says something about "I never knew there was so much Green in the world." The Camera then pans to Han who has a very guilty look on his face. Makes me wonder if he had something to do with her abandonment.

Re-tread of the twins separated at birth/young age trope?

Watched.

Fun. Definitely the best paced Star Wars movie. Cliff hanger was a bit too cliffhanger-y. Star Wars always left things open but this was next level sequel set up.

Stunning looking film. Very colourful.

Han Solos death seemed super obvious once I heard Ford was the backbone of the film. Dude always seemed like the kind of guy who would only agree to the movie if they killed him off for good this time.

Glad that C3P0 and R2D2 where not big players. Got tired of them always being there in the prequels.

Finn was cool and I like the idea that the new storm troopers are actual people who are just brainwashed people who where kidnapped as kids. Much better then they are still clones or something.

And yeah... Rey is OP. She is literally Luke + Han Solos OG trilogy characters rolled into one. Flawless to a fault.

Toa TAK

Banned
"I truly... deeply... love you."
Anakin-Padme-anakin-and-padme-32747221-500-260.gif

Yeah, I think that, regardless of the main plot or the other flaws, TFA brought back the thing the prequels lacked: actual chemistry.

I buy that hug between Rey and Finn more than any scene with Anakin and Padme.

What about that Finn and Poe hug?

uJnuzt6.gif

injurai

Banned
Buddy!

You're not my buddy, BF!

You're not my BF, fiance!

You're not my fiance, Husband!

Nooooo, that's not possible.

Oh, you're right. fiance it is.

Eidan

Buddy!

You're not my buddy, BF!

You're not my BF, fiance!

You're not my fiance, Husband!

Nooooo, that's not possible.

Oh, you're right. fiance it is.

The speed in which Finn and Poe become best buddies is honestly the hardest pill to swallow in the film. I just can't buy that these guys would run up and hug each other when the amount of time they've actually spent together puts them comfortably in "hardy handshake" territory.

Rixxan

i quite enjoy that hug, it makes perfect sense

the had saved each others life, obviously they've only known one another for relative moments, but talk about a relationship forged in fire

also, they both thought one another dead

pretty great

Boke1879

The speed in which Finn and Poe become best buddies is honestly the hardest pill to swallow in the film. I just can't buy that these guys would run up and hug each other when the amount of time they've actually spent together puts them comfortably in "hardy handshake" territory.

While ultimately I see your point lol. They both kinda saved each others asses at the start of the movie. That said. They are just bros. Poe just seems like that guy who's just cool with everyone in a believable way. Finn just seems happy he's alive.

injurai

Banned

I think Poe is just really sociable and brings that side out in other people. Them reuniting was just excitement after experiencing a thrilling escape and then tragic crash together. They are both happy to see each other alive.

Plus when you first meet a new friend, don't you tend to really friendly on all fronts. You're still trying to get to know the person and you haven't gotten comfortable enough with them to drop a lot of baggage on them. So you stay chipper and conversational. That's kind of where I see them right now.

Eidan

i quite enjoy that hug, it makes perfect sense

the had saved each others life, obviously they've only known one another for relative moments, but talk about a relationship forged in fire

also, they both thought one another dead

pretty great

Maybe? A friend of mine said something very similar. Eh, I dunno, just don't feel like they're there yet. But I also felt similar to Finn's long "REEEEEEEYY!!!!" when Rey is taken by Kylo. Just didn't feel like their relationship warranted such a strong reaction at that point.

Phoenix

How come the Resistance didn't show much if any progress in technology while The Order went and invented a Sun vacuum?

Because obviously the same old tired technology is still quite capable of taking down entire planet sized battle stations. Why waste the extra money?!?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can buy the Finn and Poe friendship simply because of how it started, with Finn breaking Poe out. If an enemy soldier let you go while you were held captive, your reaction to seeing that person again is going to be strong, especially if you assumed the other person died during the escape. It was a really small amount of time, but it was a definitive moment for both of them.

Klyka

Banned

Finn saved Poe's life. Poe helped Finn.
They both lived through situations together that should have killed them.
Both of them thought the other died during the crash.

Honesty,If I was in the shoes of one of them, I'd hug the shit out of the other guy too cause without him,I wouldn't even be standing here.

I was hoping for a look at the chrome stormtrooper without a helmet when she was used to deactivate the shields. I'm saying "she" because it did sound like a woman. It was a woman, right?

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I can buy the Finn and Poe friendship simply because of how it started, with Finn breaking Poe out. If an enemy soldier let you go while you were held captive, your reaction to seeing that person again is going to be strong, especially if you assumed the other person died during the escape. It was a really small amount of time, but it was a definitive moment for both of them.

That and bb-8 mentions to Poe that Finn helped with saving it's life so double down on being a bro by helping complete a mission

Phoenix

I felt the same, but I chalk it up to my feeling that the escape just didn't feel that tense. It felt so "yeah let's just walk out of here" that the bond they SHOULD have had just never materialized in my mind.

Fox Mulder

Hey guys,

Just listened to the Polygon Minimap/Worldmap podcast trilogy talking about the movie. At one point, one of the hosts mentions the adorable idea that at one point, Chewbacca probably held/cuddled/babysat a young Kylo Ren/Ben Solo, and what an adorable image that was.

Which makes me realize: Chewie then tried to kill the child he had likely helped raise a little bit, when he unloaded on Kylo. Adds an extra dabble of tragedy onto that scene.

hqdefault.jpg

Never even though of that layer.

:(

While ultimately I see your point lol. They both kinda saved each others asses at the start of the movie. That said. They are just bros. Poe just seems like that guy who's just cool with everyone in a believable way. Finn just seems happy he's alive.

I think Poe is just really sociable and brings that side out in other people. Them reuniting was just excitement after experiencing a thrilling escape and then tragic crash together. They are both happy to see each other alive.

Plus when you first meet a new friend, don't you tend to really friendly on all fronts. You're still trying to get to know the person and you haven't gotten comfortable enough with them to drop a lot of baggage on them. So you stay chipper and conversational. That's kind of where I see them right now.

Agreed. Also, I still feel like it was necessary for the plot. Finn immediately asked for a favor, next thing you know, Poe is conveniently introducing him to Leia. Them being all buddy-buddy made all of that transition more smoothly.

It also might help in the sequels. They had to introduce all the newbies here. Finn and Rey have already been discussed a lot, regardless of where they go, at least they are clearly close to one another. Poe and Rey don't meet in the film. Poe would have been the odd man out in 8 if he didn't at least get some sort of connection with one of the characters. Now we can all, at the very least, assume that him and Finn have a great rapport. Even if it came quickly, I'd rather they hit the ground running next time, than have to be all "oh yeah, I remember you".

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Well Finn helped him escape and they bonded inside that TIE fighter, working together and barely escaped death. When they met in the resistance base a hug was inevitable.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Finn saves Poe, Poe saves Finn. I'd consider someone a fucking bro if they saved my life.

Anno

Yeah if I get out of a situation that otherwise ruins/ends my life because another dude stepped up to help, then thought he was dead for a bit only to discover he wasn't then that guy is easily my #1 friend for life.

I just chalk that up to Finn not really understanding how emotions work and Poe just being a real cool dude and being nice.

Poe is totally going to bite it before this trilogy is over isnt he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom