• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

NimbusD

There are three more pages after the quoted portion.

http://www.slashfilm.com/force-awakens-changes/

*YOU HEARTLESS JOYLESS MONSTER

I highly encourage people interested in this to just pick up the book, the art and everything is amazing.

As much as I love Poe and am glad to see him alive so he comes back, I also just sort of thought it was cool that he 'died' right up front in the first act, sort of forcing Finn on his journey alone, and also makes his and Rey's connection stronger.

FloatOn

coughStarkillerbasecough

But yeah, the art book had some dope but incredibly ridiculous shenanigans going on.

I actually don't mind starkiller base everyone shits on it because it's a retread of the death star

but if you think about it, it's so much more. building it into an already existing planet makes it different enough and plus the whole sun sucking thing for it's power is also pretty unique.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yea I think its interesting that many fans obviously criticize the prequels but now to finally see the other side that takes the criticism is interesting. I'm sure that George doesn't think in his own opinion there was anything wrong with those movies since they were what he as the creator thought it should be.
I also think his point of having to reinvent movies every iteration speaks miles to this movie. He says that hollywood doesn't take chances on movies (even for past series) that try to take a new direction and this movie is extremely tapping into nostalgia with the OT more than anything.

Lucas made Star Wars, and then Indiana Jones 4 and I think he's up to make another one. Can't really talk about how Hollywood is stuck doing this or that.

nothing was disappointing about star wars 7

nothing

I love the film but I'd say there's at least a few disappointing elements

Phasma and her lack of screen time were disappointing, especially considering how badass the costume is and how heavily she featured in the marketing.

I would have liked a bit more explanation on the state of the New Republic and their relationship with the Resistance/First Order. A lot of this has been fleshed out in other media, but lots have people have come into this thread confused about the current situation. A small scene explaining some of this would have been useful. JJ seemed kind of terrified to have any kind of political discussion in the film after the prequels. It looks like at least one scene from the Senate was cut that's shown in the visual dictionary.

I liked Starkiller Base but it is essentially another super weapon that the heroes need to destroy. I don't think the film's a retread of A New Hope, but having another super weapon feature so heavily was a bit strange to me, especially in the first film of a new trilogy.

The film just needed more time to breathe too. It's breakneck pace from the very beginning. It looked as though they were desperate to hit a 2 hour 15 minute runtime whatever, when I feel a longer runtime would have helped it.

There's a lot more to love than dislike though. It seems to have reignited a lot of people's love for the franchise or brought in new fans entirely and that can only be a good thing.

I know it's not an original thought at all, but I really do hope we someday get to see where George Lucas had imagined taking the story for Eps VII. I assume it's incredibly different.

I, personally, loved TFA. I thought the
NEW DEATHSTAR
plot point was silly and rushed; and I wish we would have seen
Luke
do something badass instead of act as a Marvel-esque post-credit tease. Overall, had those two things been changed, it would have been right up there with RoJ as my favorite SW film. Otherwise, it's safely sitting in the top half.

But man, I would love to see how different it could have been. I'm really hoping the Anthology films show us a side of SW we've never seen on film. Something more KOTOR or Republic Commando like.

I would like to see this as well. My guess is the basic DNA of the overall story will be the same though. We do know the grand kids were teenagers in his treatment.

Daemul

I tried explaining this to them but it fell on deaf ears. There are a lot of fans that basically only watch the movies and that's it. So they stick their fingers in their ears if they need to hear about the expanded lore. Not even novelizations get through to them. Even though this film's novelization has more details than the film again.

The thing about Star Wars is that you won't learn shit if all you do is watch the movies. Movies are 2-3 hours long and are made to entertain the casual watchers, so the movies focusing on the finer facets of the lore just isn't going to happen. That stuff has to be tackled in expanded material, which is why the TV shows and all the new books exist as part of the canon, to give more information to fans who are interested in learning more about the things the movies won't ever cover.

I'm thankful that this expanded material exists because not only does it give me more Star Wars to consume, but also teaches me about things I would never have learnt about otherwise. The downside comes when discussing the franchise with people with no knowledge of the expanded material and yet act as if they know it all, which happens more often than I thought it would for a franchise this big. I feel like jumping off a cliff whenever I run into those types of people on message boards, especially Star Wars specific message boards, which is the last place you would expect to find people like that.

BFIB

With George's thinking on how the saga plays out, my guess is the Empire is gone, the Republic that has been implanted goes against Luke and his training for a new Jedi Order, and that was going to be the focal point. Luke trying to keep his order in place, with the Republic causing dissention, and in turn, leading his nephew down the dark side because he feels they are "better" than the Republic.

Or more Jar Jar. We'll never know.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Ridiculous, or just extra awesome? Because Octopus Monsters would've made this movie legendary.

I've discussed this before but the material gives you hybrid feeling of 'omg this is awesome' and simultaneously 'omg this would've been stupid'

Like during the very early stages where
- Rey takes down Star Destroyers using Luke's lightsaber
- An army of Jedi facing an army of Sith in a Star Destroyer wreckage

Guy.brush

I actually don't mind starkiller base everyone shits on it because it's a retread of the death star

but if you think about it, it's so much more. building it into an already existing planet makes it different enough and plus the whole sun sucking thing for it's power is also pretty unique.

So you didn't mind the fact
It has birds and trees and breathable atmosphere but somehow can travel through hyperspace as a planet?
Or the fact that its "laser" beams can arc around instead of the need for a direct fire line directly contradicting previous tech in ANH?
Or the fact that the Resistance comes up with a convenient plan how to destroy it with just 8 X-Wings after 2 minutes of brain storming when the first two were only exposing weak spots because the Rebels had the blue prints and then it was still under construction and in need of a shield based on Endor?
The plan consisting of Resistance X-Wings jumping in from hyperspace directly above it when Vader explicitely mentions such thing as a flaw in tactics and strangles Admiral Ozzle for it in ESB?
Or the fact it had a total of 0 capital ships defending it and what looked like 10 Tie Fighters even though it is a whole PLANET with an atmosphere?
Or the fact that Kylo Ren walked what looked like the distance from Europe to Africa in like 2 minutes?

I think Starkiller is the biggest logic flaw and cop out retread in the whole thing. Nothing about it makes sense, it is absolutely terrible.

Phoenix

Finn needs Poe because he can't fly. Without Poe there is no escape. Poe needs Finn because he's a damn stormtrooper, what besides intimate knowledge of the base will get him out? And Stormtroopers are supposed to be true believers, how likely is it that one breaks you out?

And then the actual escape involves them being in a Tie Fighter tethered inside the ship, where they could die at any second. Finn's First Order knowledge and Poe's pilot skills adding up was the only way out of the situation.

In the process, Poe gives Finn his name, helping give his humanity back.

And then they go down, not knowing if the other man who assisted in this impossible feat was alive.

Do these guys hug it out when they see each other again?

Yeah, they do.

You're talking about the events and I'm talking about the films execution of those events. IMO the film didn't do a good job of making it feel as tense as it should have been. There are a lot of things like that throughout the movie. They are moments that form the foundation of what should be a tense scene, but they aren't executed well enough and fall flat - thus not delivering the level of emotion the scene was set up to deliver.

BFIB

I agree that in the end, and down the road looking back, Starkiller base is going to lower the viewpoint of some. It really was a terrible shoe-horn tie in. You knew Rey was on the First Order's home base, that's all you need. If anything, make it clear that Snoke isn't just another figurehead, and that he is actually manipulating Outer Rim Territories to his cause, and that is the reason they go to the planet. They believe he is there, and its a final, all out assault to do away with the First Order once and for all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fuck it, I wasn't planning on watching this a forth time until 16th January (IMAX tickets)... but oh well, I just bought tickets for tomorrow. I guess IMAX will be my fifth time :lol

GhaleonEB

The thing about Star Wars is that you won't learn shit if all you do is watch the movies. Movies are 2-3 hours long and are made to entertain the casual watchers, so the movies focusing on the finer facets of the lore just isn't going to happen. That stuff has to be tackled in expanded material, which is why the TV shows and all the new books exist as part of the canon, to give more information to fans who are interested in learning more about the things the movies won't ever cover.

I'm thankful that this expanded material exists because not only does it give me more Star Wars to consume, but also teaches me about things I would never have learnt about otherwise. The downside comes when discussing the franchise with people with no knowledge of the expanded material and yet act as if they know it all, which happens more often than I thought it would for a franchise this big. I feel like jumping off a cliff whenever I run into those types of people on message boards, especially Star Wars specific message boards, which is the last place you would expect to find people like that.

This reminds me a bit of the Grimoire in Destiny. What I love about Star Wars is the films; not the books, or comics, etc. They need to stand on their own and "it was explained in the book" doesn't do anything for me because I'm not interested in those mediums. I love movies. Similarly, "the story is great in the Grimoire" when it comes to Destiny doesn't work, because I like playing games not reading cards on a website.

The tidbits that have been mentioned from the novelization that flesh out TFA a bit are interesting, but if they're not in the film, then they don't really help it. Great for fans of the EU and who want more Star Wars in other mediums, but there's nothing wrong with simply being a fan of the films, and disinterested in the rest.

Guy.brush

I think you're other issues are a fine position to hold. But This is just factually wrong. He traveled like a mile or two at most.

In the infographic shown to the Resistance members during the assault planning, you see that the shield generator, stabilizer, resistor or whatever silly thing it is supposed to be is like hundreds if not thousands of kilometers away from the command structure.
A planet needs to be a certain size to hold an atmosphere. Someone could probably make a simple calculation how far this thing would be from the other structures.
It sure looked like London-Morocco at least.

EDIT: Sure that point is a minor drop of logic flaw in the sea of problems this thing is bathing in. I still don't get how it can travel and it must have travelled cause it apparently had sucked in a sun already for the first 5 shots that hit random unnamed Republic targets.

Ishida

Banned
Poor guy. :( Genuinely feel sympathy for George.

I just can't hate Lucas.

Prequels quality aside, the man just seems like a great dude who loves what he does.

Cheesy dialogue, poor writting, whatever. This dude gave me Star Wars. He had help, of course, but he is the man who envisioned this universe. I cannot hate the man who initiated Star Wars.

Phoenix

I personally thing the expanded universe is a great thing, however - its existence or facts/discussions therein should not be a crutch for poor story telling. From the perspective of a movie - you must cover everything necessary for a movie within the context of the movie. TFA is one movie which clearly has a lot of fan service for the expanded universe, but in many ways it seems to assume that you the moviegoer is familiar with some of this material when the moviegoer should NOT have that as a requisite for watching the movie. This is most evident in the first act when its not clear what the motivations are for anything or why the universe is the way that it is. It just kinda drops you in and does a poor job of filling in the blanks. There is a Resistance, a Republic, and the First Order. Okay cool.... when last we left the story the Emperor had died. WTF happened between then and now so that one can level set. No, a person shouldn't have to just the force to figure that out or read any additional materials to figure that out.

injurai

Banned
In the infographic shown to the Resistance members during the assault planning, you see that the shield generator, stabilizer, resistor or whatever silly thing it is supposed to be is like hundreds if not thousands of kilometers away from the command structure.
A planet needs to be a certain size to hold an atmosphere. Someone could probably make a simple calculation how far this thing would be from the other structures.
It sure looked like London-Morocco at least.

EDIT: Sure that point is a minor drop of logic flaw in the sea of problems this thing is bathing in. I still don't get how it can travel and it must have travelled cause it apparently had sucked in a sun already for the first 5 shots that hit random unnamed Republic targets.

Well maybe he hoped on a skiff, there are so many explanations to get him there. Rey and Finn would have had to run a mile or 2, and that's plenty of time for him to chase them down and meet them in the woods.

Phoenix

This reminds me a bit of the Grimoire in Destiny. What I love about Star Wars is the films; not the books, or comics, etc. They need to stand on their own and "it was explained in the book" doesn't do anything for me because I'm not interested in those mediums. I love movies. Similarly, "the story is great in the Grimoire" when it comes to Destiny doesn't work, because I like playing games not reading cards on a website.

The tidbits that have been mentioned from the novelization that flesh out TFA a bit are interesting, but if they're not in the film, then they don't really help it. Great for fans of the EU and who want more Star Wars in other mediums, but there's nothing wrong with simply being a fan of the films, and disinterested in the rest.

This. Definitely this. The films must stand on their own and the expanded universe is supposed to expand on that - not be a requisite.

Guy.brush

Well maybe he hoped on a skiff, there are so many explanations to get him there. Rey and Finn would have had to run a mile or 2, and that's plenty of time for him to chase them down and meet them in the woods.

Sure, you can think that he did, the movie only showed him hurrying and walking really fast though in several shots.

Overall it is such a shame that they didn't keep the concept of Starkiller base for the last movie of this trilogy and blew their load so early.
It would have been way cooler also if that thing would actually kill by killing the star, like turning it into a Red Giant that just engulfes its orbiting worlds. It sucking in the sun power and then shooting what looked like arcing fiery sun sperm was a bit weird.

FloatOn

So you didn't mind the fact
It has birds and trees and breathable atmosphere but somehow can travel through hyperspace as a planet?
Or the fact that its "laser" beams can arc around instead of the need for a direct fire line directly contradicting previous tech in ANH?
Or the fact that the Resistance comes up with a convenient plan how to destroy it with just 8 X-Wings after 2 minutes of brain storming when the first two were only exposing weak spots because the Rebels had the blue prints and then it was still under construction and in need of a shield based on Endor?
The plan consisting of Resistance X-Wings jumping in from hyperspace directly above it when Vader explicitely mentions such thing as a flaw in tactics and strangles Admiral Ozzle for it in ESB?
Or the fact it had a total of 0 capital ships defending it and what looked like 10 Tie Fighters even though it is a whole PLANET with an atmosphere?
Or the fact that Kylo Ren walked what looked like the distance from Europe to Africa in like 2 minutes?

I think Starkiller is the biggest logic flaw and cop out retread in the whole thing. Nothing about it makes sense, it is absolutely terrible.

your first mistake is expecting a movie with space magic to make sense.

Phoenix

Sure, you can think that he did, the movie only showed him hurrying and walking really fast though in several shots.

Overall it is such a shame that they didn't keep the concept of Starkiller base for the last movie of this trilogy and blew their load so early.
It would have been way cooler also if that thing would actually kill by killing the star, like turning it into a Red Giant that just engulfes its orbiting worlds. It sucking in the sun power and then shooting what looked like arcing fiery sun sperm was a bit weird.

Indeed. Gall Force (anime) did it right. Bait a fleet into a battle in a system, sneak a system destroyer into the area, nova the sun.

effzee

4. I have a feeling it's more of a grudge thing on Kylo/Snoke part. Destroying his old Master. The Frist order want to return to status quo from the old empire days, a super weapon could accomplish that.

5. Well they don't exactly follow the laws of the Galaxy.

That makes it all the more dumb.

That's like the FO telling the Republic "don't worry guys we only dress, sound, look, preach, and do the same things as the evil Empire. We even have Storm Troopers! But we aren't bad!"

And the Republic buying it. You would think alarm bells would have gone off and instead of a dismissed resistance group the whole Galaxy would be fighting the FO.

And it's all so simple. You can have a new villain without him dressing like Vader or foot soldiers who aren't Storm Troopers.

Uggg the more I think about it the less it makes any sense.

Guy.brush

your first mistake is expecting a movie with space magic to make sense.

This is too easy of an excuse.
Sure you can break physics and logic all you want, but you better stay consistent with what has been established before in prior movies of the world you are trying to build or everything becomes arbitary and the stakes don't feel "real" in that world.

e.g. why is Vader strangling Admiral Ozzle for coming out of Hyperspace too close to Hoth and then in TFA this is a legitimate tactic against Starkiller base? Did the Empire loose all sense for tactics?
Why does Deathstar I need to orbit around Yavin IV in ANH when Starkiller base can just have arcing laser beams that don't need a direct fireline and can fire from what looks like across the galaxy (and reach the target in like 10 minutes)?
Why is Deathstar II defended by what looked like at least 30 Stardestroyers and a gazillion Tie-Fighters and Starkiller base which is like at least 20x the size has 0 cap ships and 10 Tie-Fighters?
In ANH and ROTJ the Deathstars can only be defeated by the Rebels cause they have the blueprints or strike before construction is complete.
In TFA all they need is 8 X-Wings and 2 minutes of brain storming.

Nothing makes any sense.

Sylas

I personally thing the expanded universe is a great thing, however - its existence or facts/discussions therein should not be a crutch for poor story telling. From the perspective of a movie - you must cover everything necessary for a movie within the context of the movie. TFA is one movie which clearly has a lot of fan service for the expanded universe, but in many ways it seems to assume that you the moviegoer is familiar with some of this material when the moviegoer should NOT have that as a requisite for watching the movie. This is most evident in the first act when its not clear what the motivations are for anything or why the universe is the way that it is. It just kinda drops you in and does a poor job of filling in the blanks. There is a Resistance, a Republic, and the First Order. Okay cool.... when last we left the story the Emperor had died. WTF happened between then and now so that one can level set. No, a person shouldn't have to just the force to figure that out or read any additional materials to figure that out.

I think you're overestimating how much the casual moviegoer cares. A lot of the people I've seen the movies with--and this is purely anecdotal--are able to make a logical connection between, "Oh, the Emperor was killed and things were okay but now there are bad guys again," and what we saw on-screen. Having mountains of exposition simply isn't necessary--and in some cases having any exposition isn't necessary for the casual fan.

The actual "problem" lies with people that are only semi-interested in the universe but hop on message boards to discuss what they saw but then won't take the leap to engage with more of the material in that world. Your typical casual fan is gonna see the movie, go: "Neat!" and then go see Episode 8 in 2017 for more answers to whatever questions they had.

A person shouldn't have to go out of their way to figure out what happened between point A and point B. You should be able to infer what happened, and I think TFA did a pretty decent job at having enough of a basic premise that making an inference wasn't very hard. Especially if you're coming into it after Episode 6. The only questions a lot of people are having--again, anecdotally and from casual fans--is what's going to happen in the future. Who is Rey, is Finn gonna be alright. The sort of thing that should be answered in Episodes 8 and 9.

If you do care about the details about the interim--it should be on you to go digging for it. You aren't really a casual fan if you care enough about the details to be curious about it. Movies are short.

Edit: I also think it's a little silly to expect Episode 7 of 9 to hold your hand and give you a retread of who these characters are or the specifics of what happened. It's part of a series. Not a standalone movie. If Rogue One doesn't give any context it's one thing, but Star Wars Episode 7 should be treated precisely as that. The seventh movie in a series that interconnect to form a larger story.

ED Cantu

That's like the FO telling the Republic "don't worry guys we only dress, sound, look, preach, and do the same things as the evil Empire. We even have Storm Troopers! But we aren't bad!"

And the Republic buying it. You would think alarm bells would have gone off and instead of a dismissed resistance group the whole Galaxy would be fighting the FO.

And it's all so simple. You can have a new villain without him dressing like Vader or foot soldiers who aren't Storm Troopers.

I think it was more like the Republic underestimated the FO and thought they weren't a real menace and that they would never dare to attack because the Republic had the biggest fleet in the galaxy, it is even addressed a little bit in Hux's speech before firing Star Killer base.

Phoenix

Or, you can just say - "you know that shitload of star destroyers we had in the Imperial Navy to maintain order throughout the galaxy? Yeah... most of that fleet did evaporate like a fart when the emperor died and while the Republic may have taken over the government and such - many Imperial Navy commanders (Remnant) and their forces have retreated to parts of the galaxy unknown to plan their next move".

Then you don't need Starkiller Base or some other such nonsense - now you have the old Imperial Navy fighting the (substantially smaller) Republic fleet possibly even intermixed with some Republic loyal ex-Imperials. You can save your latest super weapon for the later movies - this fight could be about crippling the Remnants ability to build and maintain its fleet by destroying its star forge (for the expanded universe folks). And now you have a fine 'pew pew' space opera scenario.

I think it was more like the Republic underestimated the FO and thought they weren't a real menace and that they would never dare to attack because the Republic had the biggest fleet in the galaxy, it is even addressed a little bit in Hux's speech before firing Star Killer base.

Yeah, that combined with the fact they really didn't want another galactic civil war. The First Order were operating in the unknown regions, the Republic would have been fine with them just staying there.

Still pretty stupid but it's in the Republic's nature.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just can't hate Lucas.

Prequels quality aside, the man just seems like a great dude who loves what he does.

Cheesy dialogue, poor writting, whatever. This dude gave me Star Wars. He had help, of course, but he is the man who envisioned this universe. I cannot hate the man who initiated Star Wars.

He didn't really give you Star Wars. Go read the original scripts of the OT if you want to see what Lucas would have given.

Fact is Star Wars OT was the result of a lot of people's influence, which was gone when he made the PT and it shows. The OT's original scripts read like what the PT ended up, and those are horrible scripts and horrible directing with lots of CG.

He didn't really give you Star Wars. Go read the original scripts of the OT if you want to see what Lucas would have given.

Fact is Star Wars OT was the result of a lot of people's influence, which was gone when he made the PT and it shows. The OT's original scripts read like what the PT ended up, and those are horrible scripts and horrible directing with lots of CG.

It still wouldn't have happened without George Lucas. He definitely works better collaboratively but his impact was bigger than anyone's.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I just can't hate Lucas.

I get the feeling the Prequels were something he never really wanted to make. Watching the behind the scenes stuff, he never seems like he's having fun.

Ishida

Banned

He kickstarted this whole thing. Having help doesn't change that.

I'm sorry, I'm not jumping into the senseless hate bandwagon.

It still wouldn't have happened without George Lucas. He definitely works better collaboratively but his impact was bigger than anyone's.

Exactly this. He indeed works better with good editors and writers. But he is the father of Star Wars. This universe wouldn't have happened without him.

Toa TAK

Banned
I've discussed this before but the material gives you hybrid feeling of 'omg this is awesome' and simultaneously 'omg this would've been stupid'

Like during the very early stages where
- Rey takes down Star Destroyers using Luke's lightsaber
- An army of Jedi facing an army of Sith in a Star Destroyer wreckage
At least they had the sense to change the name from Kira. Booo.

But those ideas strike me as awesome. You can't convince me that it wouldn't look amazing.

I can't imagine jedi armies looking terrible.
I just can't hate Lucas.

This is how I feel on him, too. For all the crap he's done, he still gave us Star Wars. Regardless of how different it was when he envisioned it, we still got it.

ED Cantu

Yup, now you know guys, George Lucas didn't have anything to do with Star Wars he just slapped his name on it, no wonder the prequels were that bad, right?

Sigh... like other have already said, yes he didn't do it alone and he had help but without that weird guy that love Flash Gordon we wouldn't have Star Wars, stop trying to discredit him.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
L4TmVpq.jpg

This is one cool ass poster.

Phoenix

I think you're overestimating how much the casual moviegoer cares.

Therein is the first mistake. The goal is to tell a good story. If you have to then strip it down for a casual audience, that's what you do. That's the whole movie production process. When you start with "well the average moviegoer doesn't care that the plot makes any sense" you end up with retarded retreads like Star Trek Into Darkness. GOOD movies always have a balance of good narrative and good pacing that trims the narrative to fit the time frame. Given the running time of the movie, they could have done at least as good a job of explaining what was going on given that the original trilogy did an exceptional job of keeping you in the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom