• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpongeBob SquarePants Episodes Pulled For Being "Not Kid Appropriate"

ManaByte

The SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Mid-Life Crustacean" is "out of rotation" and is not available to stream on Paramount+ or purchase digitally on services like Amazon. Another SpongeBob episode, "Kwarantined Krab," also appears to have been shelved due to plotline similarities to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The season 3 episode, "Mid-Life Crustacean," first aired on Nickelodeon in 2003 and features Mr. Krabs in a mid-life crisis. SpongeBob and Patrick help out by showing Mr. Krabs a good time.

The scene that may have led to the episode's removal could be the scene where Patrick suggests a "panty raid," which leads to SpongeBob, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs breaking into a woman's house to steal her underwear. It turns out the house they broke into was Mr. Krabs' mom's house. The mom catches the three in the act and sends Mr. Krabs to his childhood room for the rest of the night.

IGN has also acquired a DVD box set for SpongeBob: The First 100 Episodes. "Mid-Life Crustacean" is available in full on the DVD set, which has a 2020 copyright on it. Nickelodeon again said, "No comment," when asked if the episode will be removed from digital outlets or future DVDs. Also, a clip from Mid-Life Crustacean remains on Nickelodeon's website, though it is not the "panty raid" scene.

Chicken Mocking GIF by swerk

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Season 3 is almost 20 fucking years old at this point.

Anybody gonna tell them that Spongebob lives in bikini bottom with his neighbours sandy cheeks and a starfish? The whole thing is early-2000s level "inappropriate".

Bridges

This is dumb but honestly I did always wonder how that panty raid episode aired in the first place. I'm against its removal, especially so many years later, but it's admittedly pretty questionable for something aimed at kids.

The plot synopsis of the quarantine episode is kinda funny since it seems like the twist is that the flu they were worried about wasn't a big deal but instead the quarantine caused them all to go stir crazy and develop other sicknesses.

Shit like this is part of the reason why kids are fucking soft these days.

"these days"

This is cringe and boomer-esque. You know your ass got picked on in school. You soft af telling little kids that they're soft because they can't watch a certain spongebob episode on Paramount+ or whatever. "REEEEE SELL ME MORE CONTENT TO CONSOOOOOOOOOM". If you want all the Spongebob episodes then pirate them like a fucking man instead of posting some soft shit like this.

Episode 2 GIF by Star Wars

I saw a documentary about this starring Sean Bean and Christian Bale.

These objectionable materials are prone to causing a “sense offense” and so must be turned in for destruction.
Christian Bale's best film.

The panty raid episode is still on amazon UK.

Mihos

Gold Member
"these days"

This is cringe and boomer-esque. You know your ass got picked on in school. You soft af telling little kids that they're soft because they can't watch a certain spongebob episode on Paramount+ or whatever. "REEEEE SELL ME MORE CONTENT TO CONSOOOOOOOOOM". If you want all the Spongebob episodes then pirate them like a fucking man instead of posting some soft shit like this.

saying something is cringe and boomeresqe is cringe and boomeresque

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Maybe, doesn't make me wrong though.

Also ironic all the religious folks in here talking about pederasts and cancel culture.
It's funny how that flipped, isn't it? Not to get political in the nonpolitical section but it's an entirely different demo now calling for censorship.

Cool let us know the next time a religious nut cancels a famous tv show. Or ends somebody's career because they refused to say a certain phrase. The way you screech, you would think Ozzy Osbourne and Metallica never existed. You are fine with covering up actual systemic oppression while clutching your pearls over an imagined oppression that never actually existed. Unless you have any examples to offer? Are there any amazing TV shows and movies that religious nuts were able to cancel? Were they able to silence Prince? Was Marilyn Manson able to have a career?

Feel free to offer any evidence at all outside of your moldy pre-fab lib victim narrative. The totalitarian left holds all the power. They are ending careers. Point to a single person on the left who has been successfully cancelled by religious people and you may have a point.

Also the good things about kids is, when you tell them there is something they can't watch, they won't be curious about it at all.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Religious nuts are still calling for censorship and safe spaces. Censorship sucks, but luckily we have options to watch all of these shows.
Unless you are time locked in the 90's you know this isn't true to any real degree. These big corporations putting content warnings in front of cartoons or outright pulling them aren't "religious nuts" They are bowing towards a vocal mob almost entirely composed of the left. It's all the same bs excuse of "for the children" they just have different ideas of what's fine for children than the "religious nuts" you pretend have influence.

Last edited:
"these days"

You’ll never be MHK no matter how hard you try. You’re the Coors Light of MHK ripoffs.

Elysion

Banned
It‘s so bizarre what is considered ‚inappropriate‘ and what not these days. People compare stuff like this to puritanical moral panics of the past, but honestly, I could at least understand where religious people were coming from. They believed that allowing things like nudity or swearing in media and entertainment would lead to a general loosening of morals, and a subsequent decay of social standards. That‘s a coherent argument, and looking at the state of society, it doesn‘t sound particularly implausible.

But cases like this are different. It‘s not like these episodes are being pulled because people are worried about ‚loose morals‘ or something, lol. In fact, I‘m pretty sure the people behind this are very much in favor of nine-year old boys dressed up as hypersexualized ‚drag queens‘, and see absolutely nothing wrong with Cardi B twerking her inflated ass on screen. So what exactly is the objection here?

Mistake

Streaming services had a lot of appeal in the beginning, by watching what you want when you want it. But with so many to choose from, changing catalogues, expiring licenses and censorship...I’d rather just get things directly. I do like to stream music, if only to find new songs and artists

One would think that SpongeBob being interested in panties would be a positive for the modern woke. Doesn't that mean he is gender curious?

In fact doesn't this episode teach kids a valuable lesson in gender discovery? Males who identify with SpongeBob might identify with his curiosity.

This censorship is transphobic.

Last edited:
One would think that SpongeBob being interested in panties would be a positive for the modern woke. Doesn't that mean he is gender curious?

In fact doesn't this episode teach kids a valuable lesson in gender discovery? Males who identify with SpongeBob might identify with his curiosity.

This censorship is transphobic.
All I gotta say is that in the early years Spongebob totally had the hots for Sandy. I don't know what happened after that, but there are at least a couple episodes where he clearly is into her.

Top Bottom