• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports clubs with an annual revenue of at least €20 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

xbhaskarx said:
I mean by casual fans and/or those in other countries.
ah, fair enough. Although old people should recognise us. We were a force to berckoned with in the 70s and the 80s.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
My Pumas isn't in the list? Strange, since is the 4th most popular and second in attendance in the league. Does it being part of a non-profit public institution has something to do with that?

xbhaskarx

Top three teams for every sports league with at least one team in the top 75 overall:

La Liga
1. Real Madrid CF - Association football - Spain - €450 million
2. FC Barcelona - Association football - Spain - €420 million
70. Atlético Madrid - Association football - Spain - €124 million

Premier League
5. Manchester United FC - Association football - United Kingdom - €322 million
7. Arsenal FC - Association football - United Kingdom - €252 million
9. Chelsea FC - Association football - United Kingdom - €235 million

MLB
3. New York Yankees - Baseball - United States - €416 million
10. New York Mets - Baseball - United States - €233 million
11. Boston Red Sox - Baseball - United States - €231 million

NFL
6. Dallas Cowboys - American football - United States - €294 million
8. Washington Redskins - American football - United States - €247 million
14. New England Patriots - American football - United States - €222 million

Serie A
12. AC Milan - Association football - Italy - €227 million
13. FC Internazionale Milano - Association football - Italy - €224 million
17. Juventus FC - Association football - Italy - €205 million

Bundesliga
4. FC Bayern Munich - Association football - Germany - €323 million
36. FC Schalke 04 - Association football - Germany - €169 million
57. Hamburger SV - Association football - Germany - €146 million

NPB
15. Yomiuri Giants - Baseball - Japan - €214 million
28. Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks - Baseball - Japan - €173 million
29. Hanshin Tigers - Baseball - Japan - €173 million

NBA
48. New York Knicks - Basketball - United States - €158 million
54. Los Angeles Lakers - Basketball - United States - €150 million
74. Chicago Bulls - Basketball - United States - €118 million

Ligue 1
58. Olympique Lyonnais - Association football - France - €146 million
60. Olympique de Marseille - Association football - France - €142 million
77. FC Girondins de Bordeaux - Association football - France - €115 million

NHL
66. Toronto Maple Leafs - Ice Hockey - Canada - €131 million
78. Montreal Canadiens - Ice Hockey - Canada - €114 million
82. New York Rangers - Ice Hockey - United States - €107 million

TL4E

Mr. Serious Business said:
I see where you're coming from, and it's worth discussing. It's not a matter of their overall worth to society, but how many people could do the job. Millions of people can be teachers, but only a select few can be star basketball players. When a star comes around like Tiger Woods, they'll be paid ridiculous amounts of money for their talent. Many rookie players in Major League Soccer, for example, make about $40,000 a year (less than an average teacher's salary).
Nonsense, the only reason these elite basketball players or whatever are earning so much money is because so many people are interested in watching other people throw a ball around a court to begin with. If no one gave a shit about sports, the most elite players wouldn't earn that much.

I'm sure there are super-elite hot dog eaters too. There are going to be a select few who are the best at any number of things. This is mere statistics. It doesn't mean they should be rewarded for it or that people should value it so much as with sports.

And also--why aren't, say, the teachers with elite teaching ability making millions to teach? Why should top tanked athletes make orders of magnitude more than top ranked teachers?

DominoKid

elite athletes put asses in seats and make people with lots of money even more money.

elite teachers dont. teachers dont pack 30000 seat stadiums. teachers dont sell assloads of merchandise. teachers dont influence the buying public. if they did then they'd get paid accordingly.

nemesun

Brilliant, 7th on the list and spending fuck all. We bloody fans need to be patient; crooks the whole lot of them.

TL4E

DominoKid said:
elite athletes put asses in seats and make people with lots of money even more money.

elite teachers dont. teachers dont pack 30000 seat stadiums. teachers dont sell assloads of merchandise. teachers dont influence the buying public. if they did then they'd get paid accordingly.

That's not even relevant. Many teachers are paid with public money. The government could well afford to pay the most elite teachers a ridiculous salary is it allocated its resources more responsibly. This would provide a large incentive for teachers--which is the same way it works in sports. If you're very talented, you get rewarded for it.

Chichikov

SmokyDave said:
The value that we humans place on professional sports never fails to amaze me. It's seemingly a modern phenomena.
It isn't really.
Winners in the ancient Olympics were pretty much set financially for life.

(from wiki, too lazy to look for better sources) -

The winner of an Olympic event was awarded an olive branch and often was received with much honour throughout Greece, especially in his home town, where he was often granted large sums of money (in Athens, 500 drachma, a small fortune) and prizes including vats of olive oil. (See Milo of Croton.) Sculptors would create statues of Olympic victors, and poets would sing odes in their praise for money.​

DominoKid

TL4E said:
That's not even relevant. Many teachers are paid with public money. The government could well afford to pay the most elite teachers a ridiculous salary is it allocated its resources more responsibly. This would provide a large incentive for teachers--which is the same way it works in sports. If you're very talented, you get rewarded for it.

Thats the thing though. It isn't purely talent based. It's talent + value. Teachers are extremely more easily replaceable than an elite level athlete. Thus they arent valuable to their employers.

Why do you think people kicked up such a stink about Lebron leaving (aside from the fact that it was bitchmade)? Because Lebron made a whoooooooooole lot of money for a lot of people and that meal ticket was gone.

A teacher or a doctor or a firefighter or whatever will NEVER be as important as an athlete in a dollars and cents sense. Simple as.

ATF487

ToxicAdam said:
It's kind of ironic that American sports franchises have profit sharing, but the Euro clubs do not.

I've always thought this too. It's funny how the economic ideologies change when considering sports, although Baseball bucks the trend a bit.

Also, the NFL is such a strong league financially, look at all the teams close together in revenue. It's a money making machine

Big-E

I knew the NPB had good attendance but didn't know that would translate into so much money considering the leagues market is pretty much one country.

If I remember correctly, NBA players have the first or second highest average salary of all the sports leagues. Looking at this list, if accurate, where the NBA is at relative to the other major leagues, I can see why the owners are willing to risk the season.

Big-E

ProgramFighter said:
If I remember correctly, NBA players have the first or second highest average salary of all the sports leagues. Looking at this list, if accurate, where the NBA is at relative to the other major leagues, I can see why the owners are willing to risk the season.

NBA teams also have a low amount of players compared to other leagues.

343. Saskatchewan Roughriders - Canadian football - Canada - €27 million

Fuck yeah! Go Roughriders and by extension the CFL! That is awesome to see, especially for such a small market team. Nice to see the CFL gets some representation!

This number is impressive for a number of reasons... keep in mind for this team that they are located in Saskatchewan, Canada which has a population of a little over a million... for an entire province! The city they are located in, Regina, has a population of under 200,000. Of course, they are spread across the entire province as the only professional sports team, however the reach of the Roughriders extends throughout all of Canada. Trust me, you really can't go anywhere in the city (or the province) without seeing a Roughrider jersey or some sort of Roughrider merchandise - including people displaying that they own Rider shares. They are one of only a few professional sports team in North America that are publicly owned, besides the Green Bay Packers. This number is fantastic!

1. Real Madrid CF - Association football - Spain - €450 million

This number just blows my mind... I mean, that is ridiculous! That is more money than some small countries entire nominal GDP...

xbhaskarx said:
It's not quite the same but I wonder where AAA baseball teams and CFL teams would rank... does NBA have a lower level? The CBA is gone... NBA development league?

The other CFL teams would most likely be right underneath the €20 million mark. I doubt they would be under or above AAA baseball teams, but probably mixed in with them. CFL is fairly huge in Canada, so even though the number seems small, that is huge for a Canadian-only football league considering our entire countries population is roughly 3 million than California.

Big-E

Grimm Fandango said:
Is this a fair statement? Surely you can hold more people in baseball stadiums than in basketball ones?

You have a point but we are talking about a major world sport with a world wide audience getting beat by a league that is only for one market. Stadiums may be bigger but the NPB doesn't have the world presence of the NBA and ticket sales are not the only way to make a buck.

Big-E said:
You have a point but we are talking about a major world sport with a world wide audience getting beat by a league that is only for one market. Stadiums may be bigger but the NPB doesn't have the world presence of the NBA and ticket sales are not the only way to make a buck.

You're talking about a country with 130 million people though. I mean, the USA is less than three times that size, and we support a crapload of teams across sports, and could probably do it without marketing outside of the country. It makes sense to me that what is probably the number one sport in Japan would have that sort of revenue.

xbhaskarx

MeBecomingI said:
The other CFL teams would most likely be right underneath the €20 million mark. I doubt they would be under or above AAA baseball teams, but probably mixed in with them. CFL is fairly huge in Canada, so even though the number seems small, that is huge for a Canadian-only football league considering our entire countries population is roughly 3 million than California.

It's hard to compare the two because AAA baseball has almost four times as many teams, and many more games, whereas CFL has higher average attendance per game:

CFL
teams: 8
total games: 72
total attendance: 2 million
average attendance: 29,000

AAA baseball
teams: 30
total games: 2,150
total attendance: 14 million
average attendance: 6,500

MeBecomingI said:

Fairly huge in buttfuck nowhere since there's nothing else to do, but no one actually cares in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal.

I can't wait for the NFL to destroy the CFL when Toronto inevitably gets a team in a few years.

numble

xbhaskarx said:
I was surprised by the Miami Heat being way down at €86 million. Maybe these numbers are from before last year but the current big bullies of the NBA are down there with some of the not-so-well-known teams I root for, below Everton FC (€89m) and Fulham FC (€86m) and barely above the Oakland A's (€84m)....

Football, or as well call it here, soccer, is a popular sport in many countries.
Nobody goes to their games. Too busy enjoying the Miami sun.

Goldrusher

Worthless list without racing teams.

And don't give me the "it's not a real sport" bullshit, because in the top earning sportsmen list they did include Schumacher, Alonso, Rossi and Hamilton.

painey

Galvanise_ said:
Hopefully West ham will make a bit more money now we got rid of £83,000 a week Kieron Dyer and £40,000 a week Luis Boa Morte.

doubt it when our attendance is going to be 25,000 a week

Dai101

Banned
Lonely1 said:
My Pumas isn't in the list? Strange, since is the 4th most popular and second in attendance in the league. Does it being part of a non-profit public institution has something to do with that?

Suck it gatitos!!!!!

244. CD Guadalajara - Association football - Mexico - €42 million

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
gutter_trash said:
NFL Football players need all the money they can get in their short career when it comes to dealing with life long injuries

yeah, Not only do they have short careers but short lives too.

Sky Chief

gutter_trash said:
NFL Football players need all the money they can get in their short career when it comes to dealing with life long injuries

The average life span of an NFL player is almost 10 years less than the average American.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom