• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2009 Anime Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
typhonsentra said:
After the first half it's basically completely different (The first half is the equivalent to episode 10 of Brotherhood). Most of the differences come in how long we get to know the characters and far less super deformed humor (Which IMO, made it much funnier when it came up). Hughes is the one who sees the most benefit from the slower pace. The worst part so far has been the difference in how both series dealt with the Shou Tucker storyline. It's not like it's bad but yeah, this is one of those times where the animation studio making changes improved drastically on the original series. I really liked the way they changed the mythology behind the homunculus, when I read about what they are in the original I thought "Meh".

I can appreciate how a slower pace would definitely make the Hughes storyline much more impactful - rather than just throw a little girl into the show - but I kind of wonder what the pace of the other stories would have been like. To be honest, I'm almost afraid that more episodes would mean longer battles and that's just not interesting to me.

As for the SD stuff... yeah, it can be hit and miss for me in Brotherhood. They could probably tone that down a bit.

TheOddOne

Dead said:
So apparently Eden of the East is getting TWO movies. One in November and one in January.

I dont think I will watch the series until both movies are out on DVD/Blu-Ray...

Awesome. The series has grown on me.

Eden of the East Gets Two Theatrical Films Green-Lit
The final episode of the Eden of The East television anime series has confirmed on Thursday night that a theatrical adaptation has been green-lit — as two films. The first film, Eden of The East the Movie I: The King of Eden, will open throughout Japan on November 28. According to the official blog of the animation staff, the second film, Eden of The East the Movie II: Paradise Lost, will open in January of 2010.

bbsting120 said:
It's still out there being subbed, though it's seriously underrated and has kind of flown off the radar. I just watched episode 10 and it's definitely one of the most satisfying fantasy series I've watched in a long while.

Yeah I found different subbers.

I am really enjoying it as well, only have watched upto 8 thus far, but will catch up soon.

So what's the deal with K-ON? No one is really talking about it anymore.
I need to catch up on the episodes, wondering if it got too repetitive.

I have to echo that I was bored by the Fullmetal Alchemist remake. It just... lacked.

I still wonder: How did this series, of all the series that deviate from their manga, get a re-do so soon?

jman2050

lunarworks said:
I have to echo that I was bored by the Fullmetal Alchemist remake. It just... lacked.

I still wonder: How did this series, of all the series that deviate from their manga, get a re-do so soon?

Remakes are the new thing I guess.

Lain

I did some catch up on Eden of the East yesterday and wow. This serie is just sooo good.
I knew I was gonna like it after I had watched the first episode, so I let more episode get released to watch them all together, but I didn't expect it would be this good.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Finished this episode. It was a fun, slice-of-life delight by the SOS-dan. Kinda sad that it had to end, to be honest. It reminded me a lot about my secondary and preparatory school days.

It's also nice to have another episode without any
sci-fi/mystery mumbo-jumbo
. I think it works better this time around.

Tucah

you speak so well
I also liked the break from the
sci-fi stuff
but that'll only last
this one episode

The Sigh stuff is fun, I'm glad we're finally getting that animated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Totally forgot, today was also the end of K-On. Well, there's one special left, but still.

Good times. It makes me wonder if KyoAni will try to do yet another extremely moe and plotless series again though. :lol

Totakeke

Eden of the East 11. Very nice. Requires some leap of faith to accept the whole story as it is, but sure is entertaining to watch. I'd gladly take more of these.

Sure seems like they could have used more episodes even for covering this same stretch of the story, lots of things suddenly explained out of nowhere in this episode again.

Man, sure can't wait for King of Eden. Funny how the other selecao kept saying that No. 9 is a very interesting person, because that's what it really is with this cliffhanger.

jman2050

November 28 is so far away. And of course this episode is just one major cocktease, I shouldn't have expected anything less :lol

TheOddOne

Eden of the East 11 felt so short.

10wo2zc.jpg

Lain

The last EotE episode was pretty cool, but that ending was kinda sad. Waiting for November and January is gonna be tough.

neoanarch

Tucah said:
I also liked the break from the
sci-fi stuff
but that'll only last
this one episode

The Sigh stuff is fun, I'm glad we're finally getting that animated.

I loved the reveal in the original series. I went in not knowing anything about the series. So that was really fucking cool.
light novel spoilers
whoooo I love Endless Eight, I'm a sucker for Groundhog Day/Time Loops

Eden of the East 11 Discussion:

Did he wipe his memories again? WHY?!? And why give the phone to Saki, if the money will all be gone in making him "King"?
The movie dvds won't be out until January at the earliest :(, I want to see what happens!!

Basch

Anybody else watching Pandora Hearts? These last couple of episodes laid down a fuck ton of story. Absolutely LUV the music. <3 Thinking of importing the soundtrack when it comes out. Have yet to get caught up with Higashi no Eden (episode 6 right now), but Pandora Hearts is my favorite so far. Quality after quality episode.

Basch said:
Anybody else watching Pandora Hearts? These last couple of episodes laid down a fuck ton of story. Absolutely LUV the music. <3 Thinking of importing the soundtrack when it comes out. Have yet to get caught up with Higashi no Eden (episode 6 right now), but Pandora Hearts is my favorite so far. Quality after quality episode.

I have only watched the first episode...too trippy for my tastes.

Basch

bigmit3737 said:
I have only watched the first episode...too trippy for my tastes.

You'd get used to it. Everyone I know stops after the first episode and I feel so sorry for them. The first is the worst of the entire season. The second is two to three times better than the first, and everything after is so awesome those two episodes combined couldn't even stand up to even but one of them. Seriously, you have no idea what you're missing. I thought of giving up on it after the first episode but glad I stuck with it. Favorite of the season.

If you have the extra time, I'd definitely recommend you give it another shot.

mAcOdIn

Basch said:
You'd get used to it. Everyone I know stops after the first episode and I feel so sorry for them. The first is the worst of the entire season. The second is two to three times better than the first, and everything after is so awesome those two episodes combined couldn't even stand up to even but one of them. Seriously, you have no idea what you're missing. I thought of giving up on it after the first episode but glad I stuck with it. Favorite of the season.

If you have the extra time, I'd definitely recommend you give it another shot.
It's not bad but the effeminate but dark male characters are really weird.

The music is pretty cool.

It has turned out a lot better than it first appeared, like Natsu no Arashi, the first episode was a stinker but it has picked up and the series has been pretty strong.

But dammit, why are all the men so effeminate?

Lain

Basch said:

I follow it, it has its interesting moments. I like the fact that it is really fucked up, but some stuff are a bit annoying. Still an interesting watch.

Finished watching K-ON, all in all it was a good show, I laughed so damn much watching it. The finale was good, but it annoyed me a little. Too much emotional, not enough laughters.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
lunarworks said:

Because Fullmetal is still a massively popular franchise and the manga will be winding down to the end over the course of the year, thus making it an opportune time to do it.

Also, overall, I'm finding the new series to be MUCH better than the original series. As much as I loved the original anime, a lot of the first half of the series was total crap (especially in retrospect). Going faster did hurt the impact of episode 10 a little bit, yeah, but that's a small price to pay, I think.

The only areas I think the new series is lacking in is the soundtrack (which is still a very solid score with some nice numbers, but it's still not on the level of the original anime's) and in the big emotional moments. But I also think that's partially a function of the show having different priorities. So far it's been pretty clear in how they're approaching the material that they're very aware that most of the audience has already seen the original adaptation, so where the original went for big emotional moments, the new show doesn't go quite so far with that but instead fills in other things that were glossed over or overlooked in the first anime.

As we're now quickly approaching the end of what was covered in the first anime, I expect that to change quite a bit, as basically everything will be brand new starting in just a couple weeks. Episode 11 is already starting to show that, I think, despite technically being territory covered in the first series. And it was also a much much better episode than either of the two episodes that the storyline got separated into in the first anime (6 and 26).

The last episode of most anime series have been really shitty for the past few years. It's almost like they make them purposely unsatisfying so that people won't bug them to continue for another season. Haruhi was probably the last good one I saw. And yeah, I did see michiko & hatchin, which I loved until the predictable last episode.

TheOddOne

akachan ningen said:
The last episode of most anime series have been really shitty for the past few years. It's almost like they make them purposely unsatisfying so that people won't bug them to continue for another season. Haruhi was probably the last good one I saw. And yeah, I did see michiko & hatchin, which I loved until the predictable last episode.

Michiko getting locked up, Douchebag Hiroshi leaving Hatchin to chase after another woman and seeing older Hana with a kid made one incredible ending. Its a sad but very good ending unlike most anime shows.

Neo C.

TheOddOne said:
Michiko getting locked up, Douchebag Hiroshi leaving Hatchin to chase after another woman and seeing older Hana with a kid made one incredible ending. Its a sad but very good ending unlike most anime shows.
Sad? It's a pretty happy ending in my book.

TheOddOne said:

Those are just the details. I just expected more. Being that it was from the makers of Cowboy Bebop I expected something along the lines of Spike getting killed, but it just went exactly where I expected.

But anyway, M&H is a bad example because every anime lately has a worse ending than that.

jman2050

Wolfwood0 said:
Anime endings are generally terrible. I can prob count the good ones on 2 hands.

I think the last good anime ending I've seen was Scryed, which is unfortunate cause Scryed wasn't all that good to begin with.

Wolfwood0 said:
Anime endings are generally terrible. I can prob count the good ones on 2 hands.

I can think of
Cowboy Bebop
Crest of Stars
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenoashi
Gungrave
FLCL

seems like Kino no Tabi had a good ending but I can't remember it

duckroll

akachan ningen said:
Those are just the details. I just expected more. Being that it was from the makers of Cowboy Bebop I expected something along the lines of Spike getting killed, but it just went exactly where I expected.

Huh? Michiko and Hatchin has nothing to do with Cowboy Bebop. Wut.

duckroll said:
Huh? Michiko and Hatchin has nothing to do with Cowboy Bebop. Wut.
I think he heard Watanabe was connected (He was involved with the music, maybe the opening sequence too I think) and just assumed he was directing again... like he should.

typhonsentra said:
I think he heard Watanabe was connected (He was involved with the music, maybe the opening sequence too I think) and just assumed he was directing again... like he should.
Yeah, he did music supervision.

B.K.

I just finished this week's Fullmetal Alchemist. It was pretty good. I know a lot of people have been complaining that it's too quickly paced, but I liked the fast pace in this episode. The original series' version of these events was pretty boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom