• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2009 Anime Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dascu

ElectricBlue187 said:
I can think of
Cowboy Bebop
Crest of Stars
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenoashi
Gungrave
FLCL

seems like Kino no Tabi had a good ending but I can't remember it
The two best anime endings ever.

ElectricBlue187 said:
I can think of
Cowboy Bebop
Crest of Stars
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenoashi
Gungrave
FLCL

seems like Kino no Tabi had a good ending but I can't remember it
Code Geass had a pretty cool ending some how.

But also

Gunbuster
Rahxephon
Gureen Lagann-The best anime ending besides Bebop.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NomarTyme said:
Cross Game episode 12 was pretty good...
Got a little teary eye towards the end

It was charming, but I think they're playing that card way too much... and it's only been 12 episodes. It should be something special, but if they keep doing it, it'll just be trite and distastefully purposeful.

On the topic of game endings, I really liked the ending of Aria. The ending itself was great, but the last four episode arc was really touching. Of all the six main characters on the show, I'd say that only one of them got the shaft... but she was sort of second fiddle for most of the series anyway.

Pachael

firehawk12 said:
It was charming, but I think they're playing that card way too much... and it's only been 12 episodes. It should be something special, but if they keep doing it, it'll just be trite and distastefully purposeful.

On the topic of game endings, I really liked the ending of Aria. The ending itself was great, but the last four episode arc was really touching. Of all the six main characters on the show, I'd say that only one of them got the shaft... but she was sort of second fiddle for most of the series anyway.

I thought Honey and Clover had a boss ending.

Basch

Higashi no Eden had a pretty lackluster ending.

Mononobe is still on the hunt for Mr. Outside. We still don't know who the Supporter is. X still hasn't run out of cash even though he has purchased at least 17 tomahawk missiles. Someone moved Juiz... should this even matter? Takizawa just made himself the prince of Japan somehow. We still don't know who four of the Selecao are. Tsuji hasn't spent a dime on the game at all. But didn't they say earlier in the series that if you didn't spend any of your cash or participate in the game the Supporter would kill you? Potential plot hole here.

Still, despite the rather lukewarm reaction to the final episode, I felt the two episodes before it were very well done and moved the plot along briskly. Overall, the series has been a treat and one of my favorites of the year. But still that ending... And I'm not for sure I like where the series is heading with
Takizawa being the king and all
. Hopefully the movies are good though.

Xisiqomelir

I am watching Basquash based on you guys' hype. Up to Ep 4 and enjoying it enormously so far.

I also got Eden purely on hype, but I dunno when I'll get to watch it.

Noo! my weekly K-On fix is gone.. also last ep was
Encores!?
What's left?
Cross Game, Hatsukoi Limited, DBK, Haruhi and Valkyria. EotE doesn't end..? maybe I should wait on that. Watching a few eps of Shikabane Hime on youtube but so far meh.

Lain

Basch said:
Higashi no Eden had a pretty lackluster ending.

Mononobe is still on the hunt for Mr. Outside. We still don't know who the Supporter is. X still hasn't run out of cash even though he has purchased at least 17 tomahawk missiles. Someone moved Juiz... should this even matter? Takizawa just made himself the prince of Japan somehow. We still don't know who four of the Selecao are. Tsuji hasn't spent a dime on the game at all. But didn't they say earlier in the series that if you didn't spend any of your cash or participate in the game the Supporter would kill you? Potential plot hole here.

The ending left many questions open, but I thought it gave a good closure to what it started, answering some interesting questions and leaving the others for the movies.
What do you mean with the thing about Juiz. The supporter moved it to keep the game going and everyone playing the game knows it. In which way should it matter that it was moved to a safe location?
Also, they said earlier that you'd be killed if you went on a long period of time without using your phone and no results were shown (on the sub I watched). But it doesn't specify how long is long, and number 1 has kept participating in the game, just in a indirect way, with his calls to Juiz confirming it and I guess the Supporter taking notes on it, since he keeps an eye on everyone from time to time, especially when he goes fulfilling some of the requests for the other numbers. It could also be that simply using the phone to call Juiz without making requests could be enough to consider it as "using the phone".

Basch

Lain said:
The ending left many questions open, but I thought it gave a good closure to what it started, answering some interesting questions and leaving the others for the movies.
What do you mean with the thing about Juiz. The supporter moved it to keep the game going and everyone playing the game knows it. In which way should it matter that it was moved to a safe location?
Also, they said earlier that you'd be killed if you went on a long period of time without using your phone and no results were shown (on the sub I watched). But it doesn't specify how long is long, and number 1 has kept participating in the game, just in a indirect way, with his calls to Juiz confirming it and I guess the Supporter taking notes on it, since he keeps an eye on everyone from time to time, especially when he goes fulfilling some of the requests for the other numbers. It could also be that simply using the phone to call Juiz without making requests could be enough to consider it as "using the phone".

I guess I just don't understand why
the supporter moved Juiz in the first place. Mononobe and gang were celebrating as if they won, because of the missile strike. How do you know you're going to win just based on that? Plus, why move Juiz? What were they going to do? How does that keep the game going? The movies I'm sure would explain more, but I was kind of hoping we would gain more insight with the ending. Still, it was a nice, but a poor ending when compared to the previous episode.

Lain

Basch said:
I guess I just don't understand why
the supporter moved Juiz in the first place. Mononobe and gang were celebrating as if they won, because of the missile strike. How do you know you're going to win just based on that? Plus, why move Juiz? What were they going to do? How does that keep the game going? The movies I'm sure would explain more, but I was kind of hoping we would gain more insight with the ending. Still, it was a nice, but a poor ending when compared to the previous episode.

As I see it, they were sure Mr Outside was dead and knowing where Juiz was, they could gain control which, in turn, would have stopped the game - if you become the rule maker, you can rewrite the rules as you please-. With the supporter moving Juiz away tho, they can't take control over Juiz anymore and that does leave open the question, is mr Outside really dead? Since the supporter, with that move, has made it so the game has still to go on.

Wolfwood0 said:
I hear this shit every season.... And you people are always wrong.

Well obviously it's a matter of opinions. Most of the stuff on the list fall under either Fanservice, Harem, Magical Girl, or Sequels. It's the same thing every season, only with different characters and a different setting/plot.

Basch

Lain said:
As I see it, they were sure Mr Outside was dead and knowing where Juiz was, they could gain control which, in turn, would have stopped the game - if you become the rule maker, you can rewrite the rules as you please-. With the supporter moving Juiz away tho, they can't take control over Juiz anymore and that does leave open the question, is mr Outside really dead? Since the supporter, with that move, has made it so the game has still to go on.

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Makes sense now. :D

Before I forget, just wanted to reinstate how awesome Pandora Hearts is. Just got done watching the twelfth episode, and holy fucking shit! Second half just blew me away. Whoever is directing this is doing an awesome job. Same for the script writer. The pacing is breakneck, setting up all the characters for the explosive Chesire arc. Gives me chills just thinking about it. So excited for the next episode. My God, I can't stop thinking about. And the first half was hilarious! :lol :lol :lol

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
watervengeance said:
Well obviously it's a matter of opinions. Most of the stuff on the list fall under either Fanservice, Harem, Magical Girl, or Sequels. It's the same thing every season, only with different characters and a different setting/plot.

I have no problem with sayin this after the season starts. If nothing catches your attention so be it. But its not like k-on, Hyakko, or kannagi caught my eye looking at the previews. I also thought Basquash was gonna be great, but i ended up hating it.

You have no idea what any of these shows are gonna be like. Why pretend like you do?

mAcOdIn

anotheriori said:
Noo! my weekly K-On fix is gone.. also last ep was
Encores!?
What's left?
Cross Game, Hatsukoi Limited, DBK, Haruhi and Valkyria. EotE doesn't end..? maybe I should wait on that. Watching a few eps of Shikabane Hime on youtube but so far meh.
Natsu no Arashi, you can watch it on crunchyroll, might as well anyways since that's who all the torrents are getting it from. First few episodes seem boring but it picks up and starts to get pretty funny, then it gets more serious. I think it's a good watch.
Wolfwood0 said:
I have no problem with sayin this after the season starts. If nothing catches your attention so be it. But its not like k-on, Hyakko, or kannagi caught my eye looking at the previews. I also thought Basquash was gonna be great, but i ended up hating it.

You have no idea what any of these shows are gonna be like. Why pretend like you do?
Fuck yes, your taste rocks.

I also thought they'd all suck. When i first started getting into anime on the PC, as opposed to renting shit that had already been deemed good or crap, I would go in looking for something like epic space battles or giant robots. That's what I wanted and these last few years there's not been a single sci-fi or giant robot show I liked.

In the end I think it's mirrored my American TV viewing where the chemistry of the cast has more of an impact on whether or not I like the show than it's subject. I watched an episode of Bones for instance and I liked it. Didn't want to like it, tired of the solve murders genre but the people on the show all work well. That's how I am with anime now, I've given up on specific genres and try and give everyone a chance and if it's got a good writer and the cast works then I'll watch it.

Although I still to this day want another good Macross type show, damn you Macross Frontier!

Jason

mAcOdIn said:
Natsu no Arashi, you can watch it on crunchyroll, might as well anyways since that's who all the torrents are getting it from. First few episodes seem boring but it picks up and starts to get pretty funny, then it gets more serious. I think it's a good watch.

Seconded. My favourite series of spring. <3

I also watched the first couple episodes of the summer season and, well, bleh (Juuden-Chan, Umi Monogatari). Way too much fanservice in both. :lol

Sora no Manimani, Taisho Baseball Girls and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 are the ones I'm looking forward to seeing.

Jason said:
Seconded. My favourite series of spring. <3

I also watched the first couple episodes of the summer season and, well, bleh (Juuden-Chan, Umi Monogatari). Way too much fanservice in both. :lol

Sora no Manimani, Taisho Baseball Girls and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 are the ones I'm looking forward to seeing.

Shoot, summer season started already...
Where is the thread?

Wolfwood0 said:

Let's just say that I'm very close-minded when it comes to those genres these days. I used to really like them, but now I can't stand them. I either gave most of them an average of 6/10 or just dropped them entirely. If you knew what I rated badly or dropped, you'd probably think I have the worst taste in anime in the world. Back then however, they'd probably be rated much higher. I guess it's because my tastes have changed and I can no longer tolerate them.

I have not seen Hyakko or Kannagi for that very reason. On the other hand, K-on caught my eye because of the musical setting (yes, I'm one of those people that watch K-on for the music), and K-on did not disappoint me that much.

Spring 09 was very interesting for me, because I honestly looked over Basquash and Sengoku Basara at first. So yes, I will eat my words if Summer starts and I start picking up series after reading some feedback from other people, but there's a good chance I won't be following anything right from the beginning.

And no, it has nothing to do with me liking action over storyline; it's actually quite the opposite.

Hypnotoad

New Haruhi has been out for some days. Nice summer mood episode.

EOTE, I don't complain about the ending, but it really was a bit copied for Code Geass R2 - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But half a year till the movies? That's a long wait.

Lain

Basquash 12 wasn't bad, but so damn weird. Basically 2 mini episodes. It'll be interesting to se what they come up with for the next episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The new episode of Haruhi was brilliant. I genuinely believe that this show is one of the best implementations of television that I've ever seen... short of Babylon 5. I can't wait for the next episode.

kiryogi said:

:lol :lol :lol

(Novel spoilers)

Why are KyoAni giving EE three episodes? The novel managed to complete the story in one time loop. What's the next episode going to consist of? As I recall, the only things missing from the novel are Kyon asking Nagato out of all the loops, how many times did they work out they were in a loop (the answer was in the thousands IIRC), and everyone working on their homework assignments together at the end (which I guess is what Kyon has to ask Haruhi). That's two plot points for a 20-minute ep?

I enjoyed the ep, but they did this with Clannad: After Story as well - stretched out the material too much.

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
watervengeance said:
Let's just say that I'm very close-minded when it comes to those genres these days. I used to really like them, but now I can't stand them. I either gave most of them an average of 6/10 or just dropped them entirely. If you knew what I rated badly or dropped, you'd probably think I have the worst taste in anime in the world. Back then however, they'd probably be rated much higher. I guess it's because my tastes have changed and I can no longer tolerate them.

I have not seen Hyakko or Kannagi for that very reason. On the other hand, K-on caught my eye because of the musical setting (yes, I'm one of those people that watch K-on for the music), and K-on did not disappoint me that much.

Spring 09 was very interesting for me, because I honestly looked over Basquash and Sengoku Basara at first. So yes, I will eat my words if Summer starts and I start picking up series after reading some feedback from other people, but there's a good chance I won't be following anything right from the beginning.

And no, it has nothing to do with me liking action over storyline; it's actually quite the opposite.

Umm, i think you've missunderstood me. I dont care what you like and dislike. Im just sayin that its stupid to mark a season off like all the shows are connected somehow.

Your like a person i know who doesnt watch cop dramas. Like NYPD blue, the shield, the wire and southland are all the same shit. Its weird to me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Spice and Wolf II promos... With Puppets.

http://www.spicy-wolf.com/special/wolf2_papet.asx
http://www.spicy-wolf.com/special/wolf2_papet2.asx

And they're going to sell the Horo puppet.

4111638_1.jpg

The Major movie is pretty great. It takes place between the first and second series. It feels like a cross between Major and Ookiku Furikabutte.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
watervengeance said:
I'm going to call you out on this because I think the problem stems from your own lack of research, instead you seem to rely upon the general poster/advertisement of the anime and that's it.

- Canaan is being directed by Masahiro Ando - the same Ando that directed the supremely awesome Sword of the Stranger and was involved for key animation on Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop movie, Fullmetal Alchemist, and a handful of Production I.G movies. If you're not looking forward to it then you may as well give up watching anime.

- Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is BONES. Nothing much more to say to that but I will anyway. Directed by Masaki Tachibana who was heavily involved with both GITS:SAC series and the GITS:SAC movie.

That's two stand-out series with proof of good quality to watch this season.

If I wanted to I could throw Sora no Manimani on the pile as well, an interesting seinen about an astronomy club being directed by Shinji Takamatsu who was behind School Rumble. None of these three are fanservice, harem, magical girl or sequels.

duckroll

I'm looking forward to Canaan and Tokyo M8 too, but they could both suck. Canaan is cursed by Type Moon, and Tokyo M8 isn't animated by BONES. The last time that happened, we got the trainwreck shitfest known as Chiko. Lolz. Summer and Winter are usually shit seasons anyway, the big shows and ones with strong support from sponsors and studios get released in Spring and Fall. Good shows coming out of Summer and Winter are the exceptions rather than the rule.

B.K.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 looks interesting. I don't know about Canaan though. All I know about it is it's an anime adaptation of 428. Was 428's story any good?

Is anyone going to be making a summer season thread?

duckroll

B.K. said:
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 looks interesting. I don't know about Canaan though. All I know about it is it's an anime adaptation of 428. Was 428's story any good?

Is anyone going to be making a summer season thread?

Canaan is not an adaptation of 428. It's based on some elements of it, plus Type Moon fuckery. The story is basically 100% original though.

Pachael

The last ep was a bit of eh but the announcement of a second season for Natsu no Arashi made up for it. Was far more worth the watch than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom