• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Unknown Soldier said:
You have no idea the level of fanservice, zombies, and general awesomeness you are in for. The first episode was just a taste of the towering monument to human civilization that is Highschool of the Dead!!

It was released on Blu-ray disc in North America yesterday, and the usual Internet sources have already confirmed it is a true HD source, not an upconvert like the broadcasts were. You will be able to experience HD tits! HD zombies! HD Matrix Boobs! HD "I'm WET!"

So does it get better, or just more of the same but even less subtlty?

I might watch it out of a horrified fascination perhaps

Izayoi

Banned
Jintor said:

It gets way worse, if that's even possible. I dropped it around episode 8 I think when the Matrix tits showed up.

I mean, there's a line, and this show all but leaps over it.

tiff

Banned
Jintor said:

It gets slightly better (it's not like it could possibly get any worse) but it was still boring when I dropped it about halfway through.

Jintor said:

Oh, I think it gets way 'better' but that's entirely my own perception. I guess you could say there's even less subtlety but that's entirely the whole point of this show. The director's apparent goal was to see how closely the show's fanservice velocity, which I will refer to as F, can approach the value of c, approximately 3 x 10^8 m/s, the value which cannot be surpassed in conventional physics! As F approaches c, the amount of energy required to accelerate to F approaches infinity, so if you keep watching, you may discover just how close to c this show's F can get!

Jump to lightspeed on my mark! 3! 2! 1! ENGAGE!!

Idolmaster: Xenoglossia 3 -

Yeah, to hell with the LC. The LMC is roughly 14 billion times better! This shit is so hilariously real, it's really like they remade Evangelion and Gundam 00 with moe moe girls. Sunrise isn't even taking it remotely seriously; the "Drops" are named by the type of candy they are. If the "Drop" is only a "Mint Drop", it will burn up in the atmosphere and is therefore harmless. If the "Drop" is "Lemon" or above, then it will impact the Earth and it's up to the Idolmasters, piloting their sentient robots the iDOLs, to fly up and punch the shit out of the meteors before they smash a human city! The asteroid belts themselves, which incidentally were created when a catastrophe caused the Moon to break apart, are named Cream, Sugar, and Maple. I don't even know how the Sunrise staff were able to stop laughing long enough to script and animate this, but I do know that this series is already vastly better than any Idolmaster series which tries to play it straight and follow the game's "story" could ever be.

jman2050 said:
Watch this scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtlMjRqfQs

There, you've seen all you need to see in HotD

Takashi's aim is just so terrible. :3

The whole series is pretty much awesome like that. It's like Tomonobu Itagaki made an anime series and was like BOOBS REALLY DO FLAP HERE LET ME SHOW YOU HOW and the staff was like o.o and then he went to the computer and animated that shit himself which the staff watched in fear and awe.

iavi

7Th said:
The problem is that you're minimizing concepts way too much, then. Going by your reductionism, two shows have the same concept just because they both feature pretty boys piloting giant robots for the sake of peace, even if they may have completely different narrative structures, themes or styles.

Pretty. Boys. Piloting. Robots. For the sake of peace. How many parallels are in that one phrase alone, and how easy would it be to swap out even one?

For example, construct a compelling product out of: Extremely ugly. Boys. Washing. Robots for the sake of world peace. It would be harder to execute, of course, but that's what I mean by taking risks.

It's not as if I'm saying all moe shows are bad, just because their main attraction are the females( Which in the spirit of full disclosure, I don't exactly care for). That, I agree, would be way too much of a reduction. My complaint is that the moe & mecha genres, have given up trying to differentiate, and instead have opted to pump out nearly the same thing, with minor cosmetic changes, within a relatively small amount of time, because it's all that much easier to sell to an established fanbase.

Look at it this way: you're essentially arguing that a show features pretty boys piloting giant robots is BY DEFAULT worse than a show that doesn't feature pretty boys piloting giant robots just because there are lots of shows that feature pretty boys piloting giant robots.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's an ideal, and I've spent this whole argument shipping it.

7Th

It's cute. Unknown Soldier thinks Xenoglossia doesn't take itself seriously. Can't wait until he reaches the second half and the director of AnoHana, Honey and Clover S2 and Toradora does what he is best known for. :3

7Th

Miri said:
Pretty. Boys. Piloting. Robots. For the sake of peace. How many parallels are in that one phrase alone, and how easy would it be to swap out even one?

For example, construct a compelling product out of: Extremely ugly. Boys. Washing. Robots for the sake of world peace. It would be harder to execute, of course, but that's what I mean by taking risks.

It's not as if I'm saying all moe shows are bad, just because their main attraction are the females( Which in the spirit of full disclosure, I don't exactly care for). That, I agree, would be way too much of a reduction. My complaint is that the moe & mecha genres, have given up trying to differentiate, and instead have opted to pump the same thing out with minor cosmetic changes within a relatively small amount of time, because it's all that much easier to sell to an established fanbase.

Using completely different themes while varying wildy in plot structure, style, atmosphere and delivery is more than just doing "cosmetic changes". The phrase "pretty boys piloting robots for the sake of world peace" tells me nothing about what the show will be about.

Miri said:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's an ideal, and I've spent this whole argument shipping it.

Then you aren't arguing for concept but rather for premise.

Lain

Jintor said:

If the first episode annoyed you for how much in your face everything was, drop it now.
As it goes on, it will do even more of that and unless you can appreciate the hilarity of it all, it will just add up to your annoyance.

Mind you, the show isn't bad imo, on the contrary I think it is really good, but you have to be able to like fanservice and stupidity in your anime in copious doses, or this one just doesn't work.

7Th said:
It's cute. Unknown Soldier thinks Xenoglossia doesn't take itself seriously. Can't wait until he reaches the second half and the director of AnoHana, Honey and Clover S2 and Toradora does what he is best known for. :3

If it didn't eventually get "serious", I would get bored. But if this show somehow manages to get more "serious" than Code Geass got, it will be a miracle. Unless turning serious is supposed to be part of the "long troll", in which case, I'm looking forward to it. :3

iavi

7Th said:
Using completely different themes while varying wildy in plot structure, style, atmosphere and delivery is more than just doing "cosmetic changes". The phrase "pretty boys piloting robots for the sake of world peace" tells me nothing about what the show will be about.

... That phrase alone tells you plenty about the production.

Then you aren't arguing for concept but rather for premise.

No, I'm against blatant similarity in concepts. Premise in plot is just one of many under the umbrella.

By the way, you've yet to give me a substantiated opinion.

Dmax3901

The Tatami Galaxy

It's pretty flippin fantastic but did anyone else have trouble with the subtitles? I was reading fuck-off fast but I was still missing a word here and there or it was coming too thick and fast for it to sink in.

This is a large problem cause the script is pretty wicked thus far, for anime I mean.

Also as per someone's recommendation I've watched a couple of eps of Mushi-Shi, also amazing. Lovely almost Miyazaki-esque art style.

7Th

Miri said:
... That phrase alone tells you plenty about the production.

No it doesn't. Turn A Gundam and Gundam 00 both feature a pretty boy piloting a giant robot for the sake of world peace and they couldn't be more conceptually different shows.

Miri said:
No, I'm against blatant similarity in concepts. Premise in plot is just one of many under the umbrella.

Premise in plot is all we've been talking about in this discussion.

Miri said:
By the way, you've yet to give me a substantiated opinion.

A substantiated opinion about why I don't think premise determines quality? Aren't the hundreds of examples of "by-the-numbers" premises that turned into great shows more than enough to make a point?

iavi

Dmax3901 said:
The Tatami Galaxy

It's pretty flippin fantastic but did anyone else have trouble with the subtitles? I was reading fuck-off fast but I was still missing a word here and there or it was coming too thick and fast for it to sink in.

This is a large problem cause the script is pretty wicked thus far, for anime I mean.

Also as per someone's recommendation I've watched a couple of eps of Mushi-Shi, also amazing. Lovely almost Miyazaki-esque art style.

The subtitles take some getting used to, haha, but the show really is amazing.

Try Monnoke if you haven't. If you can appreciate Tatami, and Mushishi, you'll probably love it.

Dmax3901

Miri said:
The subtitles take some getting used to, haha, but the show really is amazing.

Try Monnoke if you haven't. If you can appreciate Tatami, and Mushishi, you'll probably love it.

Yeah I've checked out Mononoke, crazy stuff but beautiful. I need to get more of it.

jman2050 said:
Goodbye Spring OT2, we hardly knew ye

The mods can't lock this thread until 7th and Miri have finished their argument!!

Idolmaster: Xenoglossia 4 -

Current character classifications:

Haruka: genki-lead
Yukiho: narcoleptic comic-relief sidekick (which means if someone dies in this show, it will be HER)
Iori: tsundere
Makoto: kuudere

The moment I got trolled this episode: Sunrise built up to a big mecha fight sequence between Haruka and Makoto, and then cut directly to the Director and Azusa talking about it immediately.

The OP of this show: moderately catchy yet still annoying, S.O.S.!
The ED of this show: enjoyable.

iavi

7Th said:
No it doesn't. Turn A Gundam and Gundam 00 both feature a pretty boy piloting a giant robot for the sake of world peace and they couldn't be more conceptually different shows.

I haven't seen either to counter. But I haven't heard of a Gundam straying to far from what the Gundam name encapsulates, so I don't exactly think that's the best example.

Premise in plot is all we've been talking about in this discussion.

Because my point can be made with premise alone. You've presented nothing that forces me to delve into their relatively derivative art aesthetics, among other things. Broken analogies and empty absolutes don't count.

A substantiated opinion about why I don't think premise determines quality? Aren't the hundreds of examples of "by-the-numbers" premises that turned into great shows more than enough to make a point?

No, cause I agreed with in saying that a 'by the numbers' premise can still be enjoyed. You haven't, however, still haven't told me why attempted originality, and creativity, in concept does not add to your definition of 'quality.'

tiff

Banned
Lain said:
Mind you, the show isn't bad imo, on the contrary I think it is really good, but you have to be able to like fanservice and stupidity in your anime in copious doses, or this one just doesn't work.
I really like those two things, it's everything else in HotD I hated, personally.

Quick, 7th and Miri, you need to finish your argument NOW!

One last rebuttal post each, then a Closing Argument from each of you, and we'll consider the matter settled! Hayaku!

Izayoi

Banned
Uchip said:
theyre not even the same time period
im not sure how its going to make any sense
but still an interesting idea
It's magic, they ain't gotta explain shit. Two awesome series coming together, I don't really care how they explain it. Dat music as well.

wsippel

Banned
Jintor said:

It gets much worse and much better at the same time. It's completely horrible and totally awesome. The show also takes bullet time to new heights.

Uchip

Banned
Izayoi said:
It's magic, they ain't gotta explain shit. Two awesome series coming together, I don't really care how they explain it. Dat music as well.

true
but someone has to question where he got that suit

7Th

Miri said:
I haven't seen either to counter. But I haven't heard of a Gundam straying to far from what the Gundam name encapsulates, so I don't exactly think that's the best example.

You clearly haven't heard of Turn A Gundam, then.

Miri said:
Because my point can be made with premise alone. You've presented nothing that forces me to delve into their relatively derivative art aesthetics, among other things. Broken analogies and empty absolutes don't count.

No, your point can't be made on premise alone. Two shows with the same premise can be wildly different.

Miri said:
No, cause I agreed with in saying that a 'by the numbers' premise can still be enjoyed. You haven't, however, still haven't told me why attempted originality, and creativity, in concept does not add to your definition of 'quality.'

Because just having a premise that isn't "by the numbers" doesn't grant a show points of any sort. People remember Cowboy Bebop not for its premise, which isn't different from Dirty Pair's or Space Adventure Cobra, but rather for its characters, stylish atmosphere, tight storytelling and great production values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom