• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phi Brain 2 ep 3
daimon_kaito___s2_by_tristtrist-d4xcz0m.gif

Interesting episode. I like the time they spend in school works well with everyone together. Kaito was cool this episode. Puzzle was fun though not as intriguing as the previous two at the end of the day.
shocked that it wasnt Nonoha inside the Perorin-Pororin

Pretty much i liked the change of pace but this shouldn't IMO last so long ... They need to devellop the new cast of vilain quickly IMO. ( faster ? )

As for the spoiled part, i kinda enjoyed that part ... it was actually a good idea

Instro

KyoAni will not go the way of Sadhouse :( I haven't seen a staff interview where someone working for KyoAni was begging other people to hire him yet!

On the flipside, if Hyouka hits, KyoAni is gonna be rolling in so much of that dough that they can finally make FMP S3. Right?! RIGHT?!

Obviously they'll use all that money to make a high quality mecha show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
KyoAni should steal all of the industry's best mechanical animators.

I would watch Mobile Suit K-On/K-On Xenoglossia/etc. because the only thing that could get me interested in the franchise would be to see
the characters die in fiery mecha explosions one by one

And angst. Lots and lots of angst and serious discussions about the meaning of war.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Aoi Hana 11 [FINAL]

7cl2J.jpg

Great show. Surprised there were only 11 episodes as I felt they could've (and should've) done more that focused on
Fumi's realization of her feelings for Akira. I went in under the impression that Fumi and Akira would end up together, so getting this ending (which I've been told is better than what the manga gave the readers) is kind of a bummer.
Oh well.

Yeah, I knew you wouldn't be a fan of the ending, but otherwise it's a very good show. What are you moving on to next? Need more suggestions? I hope you've enjoyed the ones I've given so far.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Well, that's certainly... interesting. I wonder if that's a VN thing or something? Either way, very interesting.

Fate/Stay Night 15:

Holy FUCK this show got hot REAL fast! o_O Rin and Saber... yeeeeeeeeeeees! :D

But Saber's falling for Shirou... >_> Not cool.

But now they're fighting Berserker and are losing badly. To be continued.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hyouka 1:
Low key anime about low key mysteries featuring a low key guy.

Joule

Saki A 2: It continues on from the first episode by bringing the last couple members of the team together. Kuro's sister is invited into the team with a very yuri introduction. I like her though, she's got that permanent scarf moe (or better yet perma winter accessories moe even in summer). She's also voiced by Mako (Yurie from Kamichu) who thankfully isn't in a Koe de Oshigoto role this time. The other member Arata (damn this firehawk bait), is the cool collected one who adores the old Achiga ace Harue Adako. She even has a flash back where after Harue loses the semifinals during her interhigh, is given Harue's tie. Dat yuri memento. It also turns out that Harue still has her mahjong trauma from back in the day. MJ giving people traumas isn't something new (hello Akagi) but in Saki though there are corporate sponsored teams. Damn who needs fighting game sponsors give me a MJ sponsorship. After seeing that her old club has been revived Harue offers to coach the girls into a national championship team. The ED sequence was really cute.

There were some nice scenic backgrounds in this episode.
y5Fh7.jpg
cz7Lt.jpg

Dat Winter and Dat Spring

They also set up the Bansei team at the end of the episode but...
clzOF.jpg

What is this hair style. A drill curl on one side with a ribbon and tied on the other. And then you shit talk people? She is going to get bodied in tournament.

Saki A 3:
ONCqw.jpg

Hold that shit. Hold that baiman in your chest.

Amazingly fast episode. National qualifiers? What qualifiers? Every other team just got bodied free. I don't know where they're going to be at the end of this show. They went to train up by facing a bunch of 2nd placer schools and Ryuumonbuchi, had a training camp and are now at the nationals where they met some of the other godlike teams and even Saki herself (who had all that newtype MJ swag). I hoping more MJ action happens next time as this one was just straight up beat down. It's like in sports shows where the main character's team has become strong enough to easily take out some other team but that's usually after they've accomplished some training, suffered losses and scrapped by tough victories. Here is just like 'you are all free now'.
7rGnN.jpg

Saki Hype Train~

I would watch Mobile Suit K-On/K-On Xenoglossia/etc. because the only thing that could get me interested in the franchise would be to see
the characters die in fiery mecha explosions one by one

And angst. Lots and lots of angst and serious discussions about the meaning of war.
A mecha version of Blood-C would be fantastic.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Aoi Hana 11 [FINAL]

7cl2J.jpg

Great show. Surprised there were only 11 episodes as I felt they could've (and should've) done more that focused on
Fumi's realization of her feelings for Akira. I went in under the impression that Fumi and Akira would end up together, so getting this ending (which I've been told is better than what the manga gave the readers) is kind of a bummer.
Oh well.

Manga spoilers
the manga actually puts that reveal at the start of the series, somewhere around the first or second volume or so.
which is no-where as powerful as how they did it in the anime.

Hyouka ep 1
tumblr_m2wlh6vRBk1qg78wpo1_500.gif

I enjoyed this episode. Actually glued to it the whole time. I enjoyed the visuals, the intrigue and such around the club and especially Fukube and Oreki's storytelling and development of the mystery. Even more their interaction together was funny, how odd for Fukube to know exactly what to say to Oreki to get him to actually stop and think or reminisce over his actions. Already like these two already. Chitanda seems like she can become annoying over time, and to me she seems exactly like Miho in Bakuman.

And with that, I think its on my list for favorite anime this season. (watching 28 airing)
Tsuritama
Hiiro no Kakera
Hyouka
Kimo Boku 2
Jormungand

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Well, that's certainly... interesting. I wonder if that's a VN thing or something? Either way, very interesting.

It's a VN thing, in a way.
It's the subject of the second route in the game, titled Unlimited Blade Works. There's also a film based on that route.

But it's pretty impressive that you caught on that watching the series for the first time. There are multiple hints thorughout
Archer's
scenes, but most (including myself) only figure it out after being told to look harder. We were discussing this yesterday ITT.

Fate/Zero 15

Normally the show does a good job of blending the CG with the rest of the animation but for some reason it stood out much more this episode than others. Maybe they were saving for the episode budget for
Saber's epic finisher.
I was disappointed
we didn't get to see Rider's army battling against caster :(. Big missed opportunity to have Rider being even more of a boss

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yeah, I knew you wouldn't be a fan of the ending, but otherwise it's a very good show. What are you moving on to next? Need more suggestions? I hope you've enjoyed the ones I've given so far.

Yeah, was kinda hoping a romance would blossom between the two of them. Still a great show regardless. I was thinking about Mai-Hime, but I decided to put it off a bit longer and go with Simoun next.

For the most part I've enjoyed what you've recommended me so far. Strawberry Panic was just tough to finish since
Yaya (my favorite girl) realized she had no chance with Hikari, and I just couldn't give a damn about Shizuma and Nagisa.

cajunator

Banned

Fate/Stay Night 15:

Holy FUCK this show got hot REAL fast! o_O Rin and Saber... yeeeeeeeeeeees! :D

But Saber's falling for Shirou... >_> Not cool.

But now they're fighting Berserker and are losing badly. To be continued.

There are things to enjoy in Fate Stay Night. Namely everything except for Shirou.

wonzo

Banned
HeartCatch PreCure! 10

Holy shit, Dark Precure doesn't fuck around! The fight scene between the Precure's and the henchmen was pretty damn good. I wonder who that fabulously mysterious dude is, he's probably somehow connected to Cure Moonlight
who's obviously the girl with the long dark hair.

10 episodes in and this show still owns! Hopefully it continues to own for the next 39.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
There are things to enjoy in Fate Stay Night. Namely everything except for Shirou.

This is what I'm finding to be the case. Shirou's still a stupid ponce, but I like Saber and Rin. :D

Anyhoo

Fate/Stay Night 16:

The fight continues, and
Shirou manages to do something useful by generating the sword Saber pulled from the stone years ago to become king. How that killed Berserker seven times, well that's just anime speak for "We need this arc to end" so Ilya's out of the game. So now she's just being the super clingy little girl who Saber doesn't like because she's clearly crushing on the stupid ponce. >:/ And now it seems Caster is going to try and use Sakura as a vessel to summon the Holy Grail... interesting.

Solune

Saki A 2: It continues on from the first episode by bringing the last couple members of the team together. Kuro's sister is invited into the team with a very yuri introduction. I like her though, she's got that permanent scarf moe (or better yet perma winter accessories moe even in summer). She's also voiced by Mako (Yurie from Kamichu) who thankfully isn't in a Koe de Oshigoto role this time. The other member Arata (damn this firehawk bait), is the cool collected one who adores the old Achiga ace Harue Adako. She even has a flash back where after Harue loses the semifinals during her interhigh, is given Harue's tie. Dat yuri memento. It also turns out that Harue still has her mahjong trauma from back in the day. MJ giving people traumas isn't something new (hello Akagi) but in Saki though there are corporate sponsored teams. Damn who needs fighting game sponsors give me a MJ sponsorship. After seeing that her old club has been revived Harue offers to coach the girls into a national championship team. The ED sequence was really cute.

There were some nice scenic backgrounds in this episode.

They also set up the Bansei team at the end of the episode but...

Saki A 3:

Amazingly fast episode. National qualifiers? What qualifiers? Every other team just got bodied free. I don't know where they're going to be at the end of this show. They went to train up by facing a bunch of 2nd placer schools and Ryuumonbuchi, had a training camp and are now at the nationals where they met some of the other godlike teams and even Saki herself (who had all that newtype MJ swag). I hoping more MJ action happens next time as this one was just straight up beat down. It's like in sports shows where the main character's team has become strong enough to easily take out some other team but that's usually after they've accomplished some training, suffered losses and scrapped by tough victories. Here is just like 'you are all free now'.

Alright, alright, just cause I'm reading doesn't mean you have to mention it all the time! So where should I start, feels like I should go with the regular series before I go with the spinoff... Also If the pacing is the way you and firehawk describe it, I wonder how those reactions from those Niconico stream monsters that Kagami posted were like.

Joule

I probably will, if only to
find out more about the relationship between Fumi and Chizu.
I think the manga is still quite worth reading. I'm a few chapters behind but it might have gone somewhere with the current plot point. Maybe.

Alright, alright, just cause I'm reading doesn't mean you have to mention it all the time! So where should I start, feels like I should go with the regular series before I go with the spinoff... Also If the pacing is the way you and firehawk describe it, I wonder how those reactions from those Niconico stream monsters that Kagami posted were like.
It's not like I mentioned it for you Solune. Yeah you should definitely go for the regular series first. Those reactions from the nico monsters were pretty accurate based on Kagami's posts.

trejo

Hyouka 1

Character 1: *monologues*

Character 2: I shall now proceed to describe your quirks and characteristics and recite them to you while you are sitting right here in front of me.

I really dislike this type of character introduction. Having the characters describe each other to themselves feels really artificial and it always stands out to me as really lazy writing.

The rest of the episode fared better but not by much. If this show is really gonna be about mysteries then they're gonna have to do a better job than this. I have to say it didn't really grab me. The characters also seem to have this tendency to explain themselves and their actions way too much. It comes across as exceedingly wordy when it shouldn't. The last scene with the two dudes felt completely unnecesary to me.
I kept thinking "what went on was rather apparent and not very complex so why are they explaining all this shit to each other like that?" and "couldn't they have come up with a better way to show me all this without throwing so many lines of dialogue at my face?".
It's almost like these dudes love the sound of their voice way too much.

But visually, it's fantastic. One could say beautiful, even. Of course, I would expect no less from KyoAni. Everyone knows their production values are super top notch but that has never been my problem with their most recent output anyway.

I'll keep watching for now because while I found this introduction rather underwhelming I can't deny that, at very least, the potential for something is there. That, and the fact those purple eyes are downright hypnotic. Seriously, it's really tempting to keep watching just for those alone.

jman2050

Hyouka 1

++ Fantastic animation and visuals, as per usual from KyoAni. No complaints here, and they did a good job taking cues from SHAFT at some points
hwahaha

+ Protag is pretty decent. Like a less interesting poor man's Kyon.
+ I actually liked the visual mental metaphors. There's a great deal of visual style here that isn't present in the rest of the show (more on that below)
+ The use of music is very good. Not Apollon good, but it works well.
+ The premise is just broad enough that it can experiment with many different things without being railroaded into one particular type of show. Whether that ends up being a good thing or a bad thing will require the rest of the show to decide.

- Call it confirmation bias if your cynical self must, but the show looked pretty dull in previews and this episode doesn't do too much to change that impression. There's a lack of energy most of the time and the story and characters aren't nearly enough to make up for that right now.
- On that note, what we have here is the same Haruhi/K-On/most-anime-in-general problem where the entire visual style looks very plain despite being executed really well. The most memorable portions were the surreal visual metaphors and the art shift segment. Outside of those, I can't even distinctly remember what the show looked like, and I just finished watching it 15 minutes ago.
- I don't like Eru. First impression, yes, but there you go. Obviously being the first episode the show has time to change my opinion on that, but I don't think things are helped by...

----- WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAAAACE. No seriously, this was the most memorable element of the episode for me and that's not a good thing. I don't even know why but this character design is just pushing every single wrong button I have. Just... someone help me here, please?

Overall, there's potential there, but the introduction was not particularly strong. Really damn pretty though, that's for sure.

Narag

HeartCatch PreCure! 10

Holy shit, Dark Precure doesn't fuck around! The fight scene between the Precure's and the henchmen was pretty damn good. I wonder who that fabulously mysterious dude is, he's probably somehow connected to Cure Moonlight

10 episodes in and this show still owns! Hopefully it continues to own for the next 39.

I'd have watched more if I knew I was so close to Dark Precure. I mean I was enjoying what little I had watched but the beginning was such a lull from that opening scene on. Except for Kumojacky, he's a bro.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyouka 01
yGbU8.jpg

That art. Too bad about the actual content of the show. Was it "beauty in vain", or something along those lines? Like trejo, I find characters with predetermined and stiff ideologies to be a bore and it does draw attention to the fact that this is a creative work. If these kind of "mysteries" are the focus of the show I'm not sure I could imagine a worse idea. Even in the context of self-absorbed teenagers I'm not sure how the events keep the characters engaged, or why this is supposed to appeal to anyone besides them as a story that's being told.

Might keep watching for the art. The body language of characters in particular is really just stellar.

wonzo

Banned
Who designed this?

demeyes.gif

How could anyone hate these eyes?

I'd have watched more if I knew I was so close to Dark Precure. I mean I was enjoying what little I had watched but the beginning was such a lull from that opening scene on. Except for Kumojacky, he's a bro.
Yeah, it was starting to get on my nerves a bit but they seem to be doing enough to mix things up a bit and keep it somewhat fresh. Although, I'm kinda worried that it might start to really get to me. :(

trejo

I don't even know why but this character design is just pushing every single wrong button I have. Just... someone help me here, please?

If you're unable to appreciate purple eyes moe to this extent then I'm afraid you're way beyond any help we could provide. :(

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
oh god my heart
You should pick it up again, the start is slow, but it really accelerates by the second half.
HeartCatch PreCure! 10

Yeah, the Dark Precure storyline is the highlight of the show, and their appearances increase the farther you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom