• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Hyouka 1

- Call it confirmation bias if your cynical self must, but the show looked pretty dull in previews and this episode doesn't do too much to change that impression. There's a lack of energy most of the time and the story and characters aren't nearly enough to make up for that right now.

I think the drab nature of the non imagination parts of the show was 100% intentional. I can't remember if it was raining but the outside felt like rain or cloudy alot of the time. Whether it will go somewhere (introduction of a character or event that will be associated with sunniness) or not remains to be seen but I don't see this as a negative but more as an opportunity for storytelling.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If your story has to "go somewhere" you probably fucked up the intro, for the record.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Fate/Stay Night 17:

Sakura's acting funny. I'm sure it's for no reason. :p
So the same master is commanding both Assassin and Caster because Caster summoned Assassin? That's weird, but kinda cool. Ilya's little dance during that part was cute. ^^;

Anyhoo turns out the Teacher's totally evil and doesn't give a shit about killing others. He then goes totally boxer on Saber. Dude's a fucking badass! o_O Anyway they reveal their plan to sacrifice a magus to restore the grail (along with a fuckton of people), and they assume it's Ilya. Saber goes to check on her and runs into Sakura, who then stabs Saber! o_O Only it's not Saber, it's Caster in disguise! In using her Rule Breaker she took Excalibur out of the picture.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
demeyes.gif

How could anyone hate these eyes?

Yeah, it was starting to get on my nerves a bit but they seem to be doing enough to mix things up a bit and keep it somewhat fresh. Although, I'm kinda worried that it might start to really get to me. :(

If you could reach the first Dark Precure episode, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. There's another lull in the middle or so of the show, but by that time the characters are enough to carry it through, and the final 3rd gets so awesome.

trejo

Yeah, it was starting to get on my nerves a bit but they seem to be doing enough to mix things up a bit and keep it somewhat fresh. Although, I'm kinda worried that it might start to really get to me. :(

Skipping is your friend. I was very liberal with my use of it and as a result my streamlined version of Heartcatch ended up being way more fun and palatable than what could've been a real chore otherwise.

I think the drab nature of the non imagination parts of the show was 100% intentional. I can't remember if it was raining but the outside felt like rain or cloudy alot of the time. Whether it will go somewhere (introduction of a character or event that will be associated with sunniness) or not remains to be seen but I don't see this as a negative but more as an opportunity for storytelling.

It already "went somewhere" in that regard: Eru is associated with light and growth, as you can see in the fantasy portrayals of her interactions with Oreki. Her straightforward and frank personality pulls Oreki out of the sullen isolationist hole he's dug for himself.

(It was raining during the second half of the episode, by the way.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka - 01

Trying to answer the age old questions of "What if the SOS dan had a Haruhi that wasn't insane". I thought it was a good episode to introduce the characters and basically show what the show will be about going forward. I had always thought the genre of "seishun mystery" was kinda weird but I guess it just means mysteries in the school sense rather than the more standard police and/or murder mysteries. Structurally it reminds me a lot of Bungaku Shoujo in that there's a club and they try to resolve incidents in one way or the other.

Outside of some unfortunate uses of CG I thought the visuals were a sight to behold. I love how they visualize the main dude getting dragged into this whole thing by having him literally wrapped around the girl's hair.

I name dropped the movie because I know you would do it too. lol

Saki A 3:
Amazingly fast episode. National qualifiers? What qualifiers? Every other team just got bodied free. I don't know where they're going to be at the end of this show. They went to train up by facing a bunch of 2nd placer schools and Ryuumonbuchi, had a training camp and are now at the nationals where they met some of the other godlike teams and even Saki herself (who had all that newtype MJ swag). I hoping more MJ action happens next time as this one was just straight up beat down. It's like in sports shows where the main character's team has become strong enough to easily take out some other team but that's usually after they've accomplished some training, suffered losses and scrapped by tough victories. Here is just like 'you are all free now'.
Bansei is sooooooo free.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah, was kinda hoping a romance would blossom between the two of them. Still a great show regardless. I was thinking about Mai-Hime, but I decided to put it off a bit longer and go with Simoun next.

For the most part I've enjoyed what you've recommended me so far. Strawberry Panic was just tough to finish since
Yaya (my favorite girl) realized she had no chance with Hikari, and I just couldn't give a damn about Shizuma and Nagisa.

Yeah, you asked for real yuri, and so I supplied it. :)

Anyway, simoun is good, Mai-Hime is a bit infamous for it's ending, but there's lots of yuri teasing
and one instance of yuri rape
, I don't know if I would personally recommend it, but if you want to give it a try, go ahead!

jman2050

Eh, I dunno. The first part of Apollon had a similarly drab and dreary atmosphere to start with, but it wasn't dull there because the show established tension to engage the audience via the main character's insecurities. There was a similar sort of tension in Disappearance, though granted that had the benefit of acting as a contrast to the TV show proper.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Alright, alright, just cause I'm reading doesn't mean you have to mention it all the time! So where should I start, feels like I should go with the regular series before I go with the spinoff... Also If the pacing is the way you and firehawk describe it, I wonder how those reactions from those Niconico stream monsters that Kagami posted were like.
There was so much service in this week's episode that I "suppose" you should watch the first series. I think the pace gets normal next week though, since I feel like they just want to get the spinoff and the original at the same "place" before things get real.

Yeah, you asked for real yuri, and so I supplied it. :)

Anyway, simoun is good, Mai-Hime is a bit infamous for it's ending, but there's lots of yuri teasing
and one instance of yuri rape
, I don't know if I would personally recommend it, but if you want to give it a try, go ahead!
[troll]Aoi Hana (the anime)is not real yuri.[/troll]

zeroshiki

It already "went somewhere" in that regard: Eru is associated with light and growth, as you can see in the fantasy portrayals of her interactions with Oreki. Her straightforward and frank personality pulls Oreki out of the sullen isolationist hole he's dug for himself.

(It was raining during the second half of the episode, by the way.)

I had a really bad headache last night and its raining here right now so I couldn't be sure if I was imagining the rain in Hyouka. Glad to hear I'm not yet going crazy!

That's what I was saying. If the appearance of Eru is always bright in contrast to the atmosphere always being dark, then its a good visual storytelling device.

I name dropped the movie because I know you would do it too. lol

Did you give impressions on Hyouka yet? I will always find a way to drop Bungaku Shoujo references because it needs more love.

wonzo

Banned
If you could reach the first Dark Precure episode, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. There's another lull in the middle or so of the show, but by that time the characters are enough to carry it through, and the final 3rd gets so awesome.
Looks like I'm in for a real treat!

Skipping is your friend. I was very liberal with my use of it and as a result my streamlined version of Heartcatch ended up being way more fun and palatable than what could've been a real chore otherwise.
I'm a bit of a completionist though so I really only skip through terrible recap episodes. Saying that, I haven't felt the urge to skip through anything in HeartCatch yet.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
There was so much service in this week's episode that I "suppose" you should watch the first series. I think the pace gets normal next week though, since I feel like they just want to get the spinoff and the original at the same "place" before things get real.

[troll]Aoi Hana (the anime)is not real yuri.[/troll]

But I was referring to Strawberry Panic there. :)

jman2050

That's what I was saying. If the appearance of Eru is always bright in contrast to the atmosphere always being dark, then its a good visual storytelling device.

The OP makes me pretty sure that that's exactly what they're trying to go for.

Of course, that type of visual storytelling is meaningless on its own, so we just have to see where this show does with it.

zeroshiki

Eh, I dunno. The first part of Apollon had a similarly drab and dreary atmosphere to start with, but it wasn't dull there because the show established tension to engage the audience via the main character's insecurities. There was a similar sort of tension in Disappearance, though granted that had the benefit of acting as a contrast to the TV show proper.

Ah see, even in Apollon, the drab atmosphere was used to illustrate Kaoru's life and it got progressively better because of Sentarou, Ricchan and jazz. In Hyouka, I see it as an opportunity as well.

I had a really bad headache last night and its raining here right now so I couldn't be sure if I was imagining the rain in Hyouka. Glad to hear I'm not yet going crazy!

A similar technique is really obvious during the opening sequence:

The student body is bright, energetic, communal, whereas Oreki is dark, downcast, and alone.

Oh, ok =(
Mesmerizing. Surprised this hasn't been picked up for simulcast.

I just hope it gets licensed, though I guess we'll find out if it gets simulcast, dont recall anyone ever announcing a simulcast on a Sunday.

Oreki Houtarou's design reminds me of some other character, I just cant put my finger on it.

zeroshiki

Btw, I'm not saying the bright on drab style is always a good thing but that it shows that the director/cinematographer at least thought about the backgrounds beyond the bog standard.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
No, I was saying that the drab backgrounds will go somewhere and is an opportunity for visual storytelling. We already know where the story-story is going.
Oh. I feel like it already ceased that opportunity in terms of its visual storytelling. Even with little stuff like the janitor walking by the main character as he's going to the club room Hyouka is already taking advantage of its visual edge.

zeroshiki

It is standard, but my more important point is that I'm not all that interested in the intent of a design decision.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not one to promote excessive navel gazing/analysis but I was just commenting on your saying that it looked boring. I thought the boring-ness, as it were, was on purpose and will get better as it goes on.

RurouniZel

Fate/Stay Night 18:

Rin, Saber and Shirou all go to save
Sakura
and come across
Assassin, who won't last much longer. He lets Rin and Shirou go to save Sakura so he can enjoy his fight with Saber (which is very much like the F/Z Lancer). Sakura, dressed in this season's dominatrix somehow grew three sizes. Rin tries to saver her but Caster's got the upper hand. Rin, who feels guilty for doing nothing to save her before, goes all out this time to save Sakura, taking the blow she dealt with her dagger. That was a really touching scene.

jman2050

Wait hold on, I said the non-metaphor visuals looked "plain", as in simply that they don't really stand out. That is applicable regardless of whether they were trying to be bright and colorful or drab, and it doesn't change the fact that they still looked very good.

My "dull" and "lack of energy" comment was referring to the narrative itself.

Hyouka 1

Well that was incredibly gorgeous but thats expected of KyoAni at this point. In fact I'd be more impressed with KyoAni if they turned in something that looked like utter crap. Beyond the visuals though this episode didn't have much going for it for me. Boring high schoolers solving boring mysteries while acting incredibly bored isn't exactly barnburner material.

trejo

Tsuritama 2

I still don't know quite what to think of this show but it remains quirky enough to keep me watching for the time being.

And I know some people are not going to agree with me but I also still think the backgrounds look way too stylised for their own good. Even to the point were they become really distracting.

I mean, look at the mountains in this shot:

There's stylised and then there's that. Looks like they applied a lame photoshop filter and called it a day and more importantly, it completely takes me out of the scene because I can't help but stare at it.

At least Haru was slightly less annoying this time but I swear, if
anything happens to the grandma then FUCK THIS SHOW

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tsuritama 2

At least Haru was slightly less annoying this time but I swear, if
anything happens to the grandma then FUCK THIS SHOW

Well, she was
coughing
:(

I still think Haru's beyond annoying. And now there's also his sister with the stupid hair. Ugh.

Hyouka goes to show yet again how much more tolerant I am of deliberate pacing than the average person. Well, I've heard the novel has a slow start, so maybe the skeptics will find something to interest them more as the show develops.

Well, she was
coughing
:(

I still think Haru's beyond annoying. And now there's also his sister with the stupid hair. Ugh.

Whats annoying with Haru? I thought he adds a unique charm to the cast, Natsuki and Yuki are really low key character, Yuki is essentially really shy and afraid to speak, which Natsuki seems to not hold conversations or be that outgoing.

The sister is just terrible. Dont see what she really adds.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Hyouka goes to show yet again how much more tolerant I am of deliberate pacing than the average person. Well, I've heard the novel has a slow start, so maybe the skeptics will find something to interest them more as the show develops.
I think the only problem with Hyouka is the writing and characterization which is pretty bog-standard slice-of-life fluff, but everything else was as good as it could be and some more!

RurouniZel

Fate/Stay Night 19:

Caster still has the upper hand as Saber finishes Assassin, but just as things are looking their worst, the Archer from F/Z shows up and saves Saber, apparently still trying to make her his own! Now that I didn't expect! o_o Well I guess I just spoiled myself on Fate/Zero but oh well. :p It's not like most people in Japan watching F/Z didn't know anyway. ^^;

I think the only problem with Hyouka is the writing and characterization which is pretty bog-standard slice-of-life fluff, but everything else was as good as it could be and some more!

I agree that the characterization isn't anything to write home about, unlike Kids on the Slope and Space Bros - which is why the latter two remain my favorite shows of the season. I could imagine getting bored with the novel. But the way the anime packages everything is very compelling and just pleasant to watch.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Whats annoying with Haru? I thought he adds a unique charm to the cast, Natsuki and Yuki are really low key character, Yuki is essentially really shy and afraid to speak, which Natsuki seems to not hold conversations or be that outgoing.

The sister is just terrible. Dont see what she really adds.

He's too pushy and stupid. It's annoying.

The main character's not my favorite either, but at least he has those cool metaphorical drowning scenes to go with him.

Makoto

Hyouka 1

Why did the main character guy need an opening monologue? This is something that's always bothered me about the initial minutes of the first episode of an anime series but I feel this could have been avoided here. The guy basically operates on two mottos, "If I don't have to do it, I won't." And "If I have to do it, make it quick." The integration of these lines could have been done better. So why did we need the convenience of his friend to basically info/personality dump us in such a seemingly blatant way? I honestly feel I could have written those initial minutes better. This really just stems from my own personal belief that some anime shows rely waaaaay too much on internal thoughts being projected to the audience.

Eh, I feel this entire episode could have been written better.
When the board's poster "projected" themselves and overflowed the room, they should have just kept Houtarou quiet about what he was feeling. This show isn't letting the visuals speak for itself.
Despite the writing, the visuals were great and... It's KyoAni, I'll keep watching.

One other thing...

jerseyshorewaa.gif

They really wanted drive home just how "in-shape" Eru is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom