• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was pretty worthless. Like everything else about him.

hkIvSl.jpg

Jex

I don't know if many consistent sakuga shows exist outside of KyoAni and a couple other shows like Dennou Coil. It's by definition a rare quality.

You can achieve it if you just have you staff work 18 hours a day including weekends.

Jex

KyoAni achieves it while having the best-treated staff in the industry, though.

I never bothered watching the video's about their studio, so I assume they either have a better production schedule so that the deadlines aren't quite so appalling as in other shows (Fujiko Mine...) and/or they have more talented animators than at other studios.

jman2050

That's only one route out of three. Shirou has his moments but in general, terrible.

Shirou never stops being a terrible character but at least he has his shining moments of badassery in UBW and HF, as opposed to Fate where his most badass moment was
awkwardly stabbing some dude in the chest

Branduil

I never bothered watching the video's about their studio, so I assume they either have a better production schedule so that the deadlines aren't quite so appalling as in other shows (Fujiko Mine...) and/or they have more talented animators than at other studios.

I think they attract more talented animators because they have a better production schedule.

zeroshiki

If you are a talented programmer, there are lotsa places to go outside the games industry. If you are a talented animator, there is nowhere else to go except I dono, Korea. This is why developers get paid better.

Shirou never stops being a terrible character but at least he has his shining moments of badassery in UBW and HF, as opposed to Fate where his most badass moment was

I have never understood how the fuck Shirou managed to pull that off against
Kotomine Kirei
of all people. Especially considering what he could do in any other storyline.

Kotomine Kirei

It's the same as any other fight, plot convenience.
How does Saber get beat up by a school teacher? How does a crippled Shiro take down Saber Alter?

Jarmel

Banned
That's only one route out of three. Shirou has his moments but in general, terrible.

I actually don't think he's bad. Part of the overarching story is both proving why he's wrong and also right at the same time.
The whole deal with Archer adds a whole layer to his actions throughout all the arcs really and his mentality being that of 'Survivor's Guilt' is actually pretty interesting.
He also gets to go toe to toe with a Servant which pretty much no other human can do. If Ufotable ever do an adaptation of HF they better through in that part of the UBW storyline.

Developers get paid more than animators.

I would love to see some stats comparing overall wages for both calculated for living differentials and overtime hours.

Branduil

I think they have better animators because, well, they actually pay them and train them.

That also helps. All things considered, KyoAni simply seems to be the ideal studio if you are an animator in Japan. You get paid and treated well for doing what you love, and your work will reach about as wide an audience as you can get doing anime.

frostbyte

Indeed. Personally, his most epic moment was in UBW route, heavy FSN spoilers:
where he faces down Archer, his own future self, even as he knows what his misplaced beliefs will lead to. Fate route Shirou is as lame as F/Z Assassin, really.

zeroshiki

That also helps. All things considered, KyoAni simply seems to be the ideal studio if you are an animator in Japan. You get paid and treated well for doing what you love, and your work will reach about as wide an audience as you can get doing anime.

Ghibli Studio.

zeroshiki

Jex is saying that this means we should all buy Nichijou, guys.

Well obviously Ghibli gets the widest exposure of all. I don't know if their work conditions are as good, but I'd guess not.

According to the excerpts Jex posts from Miyazaki's book, he is at least aware of the problem among animators and would like to do something about it. I'm not sure if he ever did but hey maybe. Also, one of Oshii's complaints about Ghibli was that they only worked until 10 or something because Miyazaki and Takahata were old and couldn't do all nighters. That's a good, sane schedule.

Jex

I'm just saying, their works probably need to make some money to cover the cost of treating animators like real human beings.

frostbyte

Kotomine Kirei

Because Nasu.

It's the same as any other fight, plot convenience.
How does Saber get beat up by a school teacher? How does a crippled Shiro take down Saber Alter?

That too.

I actually don't think he's bad. Part of the overarching story is both proving why he's wrong and also right at the same time.
The whole deal with Archer adds a whole layer to his actions throughout all the arcs really and his mentality being that of 'Survivor's Guilt' is actually pretty interesting.
He also gets to go toe to toe with a Servant which pretty much no other human can do. If Ufotable ever do an adaptation of HF they better through in that part of the UBW storyline.

Yes, (heavy F/SN spoilers):
facing down and persuading Archer, his bitter future self, otherwise was pretty good. Still, Shirou's crowning moments of awesome are far and infrequent. Maybe another would be the final fight between Kirei and Shirou.

Animating HF is a clusterfuck and I'd be surprised if Ufotable ever does it. I want it but some discussion with InsaneZero and others persuade me otherwise.

Jex

If only they had several blockbuster franchises with record sales in the last few years.

I assume it puts extra pressure on them to make sure every show is a big hit, which might mean that they can't afford to take many creative risks.

jman2050

Kotomine Kirei

The ever so convenient combination of BS plot weaponry combined with protection from explicitly BS plot armor. Naturally, Shirou is the beneficiary of all these advantages while having to do precisely dick-all to contribute to his own victory.

Honestly, it's amazing how much less sense Fate makes the farther you get into the game. (more major FSN spoilers)
I don't care how injured Archer supposedly was, there is no way he should have lost to Berserker.

Wait, why am I even doing these arguments in the first place? Damn you Type-Moon!

neoanarch

Paaying for subs is buying anime. I don't want to hunt around is there a price plan comparison for all the different stream services around.

crunchyroll
funimation
anime network online
niconico

Jex

Or when the lead time gets burnt up, which is another common cause (I'm looking at you Eureka Seven!). I would say in terms of long running shows with the most consistent animation AND having a consistent level of regular sakuga sequences, FMA and FMA:B probably win hands down.

This is clearly why TV anime can't be called real anime.

Branduil

I assume it puts extra pressure on them to make sure every show is a big hit, which might mean that they can't afford to take many creative risks.

Well, I imagine like most studios they get financing from sponsors so that not all of the risk is placed upon them.

frostbyte

The ever so convenient combination of BS plot weaponry combined with protection from explicitly BS plot armor. Naturally, Shirou is the beneficiary of all these advantages while having to do precisely dick-all to contribute to his own victory.

Honestly, it's amazing how much less sense Fate makes the farther you get into the game. (more major FSN spoilers)
I don't care how injured Archer supposedly was, there is no way he should have lost to Berserker.

Wait, why am I even doing these arguments in the first place? Damn you Type-Moon!

Times like this make me question why I like this series so much.

I think it's because of Rin

Sheeeet, I would, save the import price for them all together!

Looking at you, Australia!

If Madman Australia picks it up, I'd buy it.

zeroshiki

KyoAni has some of the most successful franchises of past few years. In the last 5 years or so, KyoAni has created massive hits such as Haruhi and K-on and some minor hits like the Key stuff and Lucky Star. They can go back to those wells if they ever feel the need to.

If anything
it was a stretch for Archer to kill him that many times. Heracles pretty much crushes any servant other than Saber or Gilgamesh thanks to God Hand.

Edit: Oh god, not a power level argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom