• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Nobody will ever hand-draw cars again unless it's a show specifically about cars that are hand-drawn. Maybe not even then.

But...

dpw5W.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
KyoAni has some of the most successful franchises of past few years. In the last 5 years or so, KyoAni has created massive hits such as Haruhi and K-on and some minor hits like the Key stuff and Lucky Star. They can go back to those wells if they ever feel the need to.
But SHAFT made Madoka and Pedogatari with a far more stringent work culture.

Jex

Un-Go 01:
I'm walking right into duckroll's trap but at least I'm fully aware that I'm doing so. I finally get to witness the unholy union of BONES and newtaminA, and it's pretty much everything I would expect from a washed-up studio doing a show for a desperate and misguided animation block..
Oh this is a most excellent day. Proceed.

iavi

Zetman 2

Fuck. Everything. I DID see where they were going, as much as I didn't want to.
Instead of letting her live after the hell she went through last ep, they had to go and write Akemi off this ep. Given the genre, I figured they'd use the typical 'rage' to further the plot, but I was hoping they'd write Jin a turbulent anti-hero, and operate with a bit more tact. Unfortunate.

The animation wasn't as impressive, but the direction kept things not just fast (and coherent as last week's), but especially stylish in a scene or two. And I'm pissed at what happen, pissed as hell, but that just goes to show how invested I've become in this show, with only two eps. Still enjoying, immensely.

frostbyte

If anything
it was a stretch for Archer to kill him that many times. Heracles pretty much crushes any servant other than Saber or Gilgamesh thanks to God Hand.

Edit: Oh god, not a power level debate.

Hmm, true.
God Hand is seriously overpowered. But couldn't Archer just spam weapons like Gilgamesh does, self-destructing the weapons in Heracles' face until he runs out of lives. Archer does have unlimited blades afterall.

why am i still doing this

For the love of god, if you're watching F/Z don't highlight this spoiler. Damn you, curiosity!

Shirou's not even in F/Z.
and that's why F/Z is so much better.

jman2050

If anything
it was a stretch for Archer to kill him that many times. Heracles pretty much crushes any servant other than Saber or Gilgamesh thanks to God Hand.

Edit: Oh god, not a power level argument.

No, I must stay strong. I can't... encourage... power level... arguments...

Archer has Unlimited Blade Works, he can kill Heracles as many times as he likes. Hell, Gilgamesh did pretty much exactly that, and he wasn't even trying!

DAMNIT

Zetman 2

Fuck. Everything. I DID see where they were going, as much as I didn't want to.
Instead of letting her live after the hell she went through last ep, they had to go and write Akemi off this ep. Given the genre, I figured they'd use the typical 'rage' to further the plot, but I was hoping they'd write Jin a turbulent anti-hero, and operate with a bit more tact. Unfortunate.

The fuck? That is... not how it happens in the manga. I might be forgetting something, but that's a disappointment.

cajunator

Banned
KyoAni can't animate cars though. Watching a black cab in CG broke my heart :(

I'm sure they CAN but it's not high priority.

They're famous for giving their animators a living wage as opposed to Shaft who's famous for chaining their animators to their desks to finish production.

I don't really understand how one studio can mysteriously afford to give living wages and another cannot. It makes no sense. Especially when the one that is constantly cutting corners seems to produce massive hits that easily bankroll better work conditions.

Nobody will ever hand-draw cars again unless it's a show specifically about cars that are hand-drawn. Maybe not even then.

I dont get this either. cars are super easy to draw. I draw very detailed realistic ones in my spare time. It doesn't even take very long.
whatever happened to the guys who animated Riding Bean, Gunsmith Cats, Ex Driver, Ah My goddess, Goldenboy, and Youre under Arrest?

CARS ARE NOT DIFFICULT TO DRAW.

Hmm, true.
God Hand is seriously overpowered. But couldn't Archer just spam weapons like Gilgamesh does, self-destructing the weapons in Heracles' face until he runs out of lives. Archer does have unlimited blades afterall.

why am i still doing this
No, I must stay strong. I can't... encourage... power level... arguments...
Archer has Unlimited Blade Works, he can kill Heracles as many times as he likes. Hell, Gilgamesh did pretty much exactly that, and he wasn't even trying!

DAMNIT

Ugh, I guess I've been sucked in.
Only A rank attacks get through God Hand and Archer's projections are always a rank lower, so his number of useful weapons is limited. And once Berserker dies once, he becomes resistant to the attack that killed him. And not to mention that Berserker in insanely fast and strong, and has battle continuation, so killing him even once with dying is no easy feat. And unlike Gilgamesh, Archer isn't going to attack Illya, so Berserker doesn't have to worry about protecting her. And Archer doesn't have/use Enkidu so he can't act like Gil and restrain him and then stand around firing swords at him.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The true successor to Bakemonogatari just had one this week.
ZkCis.jpg

For about all of three seconds.

zeroshiki

I don't really understand how one studio can mysteriously afford to give living wages and another cannot. It makes no sense. Especially when the one that is constantly cutting corners seems to produce massive hits that easily bankroll better work conditions.

I think Shaft has really shitty management and get into very onerous contracts with production committees. Like, for Bakemono and Madoka, I'm sure Aniplex is rolling in the money but Shaft probably doesn't see a whole lot of that.

KyoAni, for some reason, has better relationships with their distributors.

I dont get this either. cars are super easy to draw. I draw very detailed realistic ones in my spare time. It doesn't even take very long.
whatever happened to the guys who animated Riding Bean, Gunsmith Cats, Ex Driver, Ah My goddess, Goldenboy, and Youre under Arrest?

Its one thing to draw cars. Its another thing to animate it realistically.

cajunator

Banned
I think Shaft has really shitty management and get into very onerous contracts with production committees. Like, for Bakemono and Madoka, I'm sure Aniplex is rolling in the money but Shaft probably doesn't see a whole lot of that.

KyoAni, for some reason, has better relationships with their distributors.

Its one thing to draw cars. Its another thing to animate it realistically.

I doubt its much more difficult to animate them considering the much more difficult things animators do. animating a car doesnt require changing very much.

But can you animate them?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why would you need to animate cars?

It's just wheels spinning.

Add some touches of light to make it look like it's rotation then tween it across the stage.

EZ.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Add some touches of light to make it look like it's rotation then tween it across the stage.

EZ.
Shape tween it into a CG car and you're on to something.

Branduil

EZ.

But with CG cars you don't even need to draw it. You just place it in the scene at any angle you need. And at this point they probably don't even need to create the CG car, they already have it in their stock library.

frostbyte

Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night
That's why it's such a massive spoiler :(

To clarify:
The other character living through F/Z is the spoiler.

Ah I get you now. Well, you'll probably forget it when/if you want to get into F/SN.

Ugh, I guess I've been sucked in.
Only A rank attacks get through God Hand and Archer's projections are always a rank lower, so his number of useful weapons is limited. And once Berserker dies once, he becomes resistant to the attack that killed him. And not to mention that Berserker in insanely fast and strong, and has battle continuation, so killing him even once with dying is no easy feat. And unlike Gilgamesh, Archer isn't going to attack Illya, so Berserker doesn't have to worry about protecting her. And Archer doesn't have/use Enkidu.

Well we don't know how many A+ rank weapons Archer really has to explode as Broken Phantasms but, yeah, I get your point. Archer did manage to take down half of Berserker's lives before he died during Fate route iirc, so assuming he was in tip-top condition + many A+ rank weapon, I think killing Berserker would be doable. Maybe.

Let's stop this power level discsussion...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But with CG cars you don't even need to draw it. You just place it in the scene at any angle you need. And at this point they probably don't even need to create the CG car, they already have it in their stock library.
And if they need to animate traffic, they can just copy paste the cars and apply different hues to the textures!

Truly the future of anime.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mai Ritoru Poni: Yuujou wa Mahou 8

Solid episode for various reasons. It is very shipper-friendly pairing the southern belle Applejack with the city gal Rarity.

Anyway the bulk of the episode focuses on the slumber party between the aforementioned Rarity and Applejack and it includes the bestest pony in all of Ponyville, Twilight Sparkle.

Hooray! Slumber Parties!

The episode focuses on the obvious contrasting personalities and lifestyles of AJ and Rarity and how the two can't possibly co-exist but the power of their friendship overcomes the odds. The pillow fight was good fun and Twilight Sparkle knows how to have fun and throw a good party! By the book. Sheesh. The truth and dare moments were pretty neat too, especially seeing AJ in that ridiculous getup.

The ending of the episode is odd. Twilight isn't the one learning the important lessons about friendship as she wasn't the one overcoming any differences, it was AJ and Rarity that had to stop butting heads (literally!), put aside their differences and come together as friends in a time of need.

Ezalc

Cajun stop making my hate for the fact that there isn't more awesome futuristic or balls out crazy racing anime increase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom