• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

The last Penguindrum volume was the week before, right? How much did that do?
Blu-ray
*2, 4,104 *4,104 Mawaru Penguindrum vol.6 Limited Edition

Didn't place on the DVD list.

Also, this week's muzak:

Single CD
*3, 23,032 142,865 Doraemon: Nobita and the Miracle Island - Animal Adventure "Ikiteru Ikiteku"
10, *7,245 **7,245 Mobile Suit Gundam AGE "sharp #"
25, *2,074 **2,074 Namikawa Daisuke "UTAO"
26, *1,984 *57,618 Mouretsu Pirates "Mugen no Ai"
28, *1,914 *11,982 Senki Zesshou Symphogear Character Song vol.4
29, *1,903 *11,287 Danball Senki W "Brave Hero"
33, *1,680 *22,979 Smile Precure! "Let's go! Smile Precure!" "Yeah!Yeah!Yeah!"
36, *1,482 *46,269 Guilty Crown "The Everlasting Guilty Crown"
46, *1,140 *40,618 Guilty Crown & Black★Rock Shooter "Kokuhaku" "Bokura no Ashiato"
48, *1,071 *17,838 Senki Zesshou Symphogear Character Song vol.3

Thoraxes

Rinne no Lagrage - Complete

So I had this long diatribe about how this series had setup a perfect universe for a full fledged 26 episodes if not a good 50 and how they were wasting all of it. Then last thing I see after I had come to accept that not all stories get told to their proper climax, I see the second season announcement.

The biggest problem I have with the show is twofolds. The first is that it feels incomplete. The second is a bit more substantial. Madoka has a bit of a 180 and chases after her friends in a sequence where it seems she can't let go. I was hoping she was learning to trust on other people but that whole bit seems counter to that.

If it's worth anything to you, the show was initially announced as being two-cour. We always knew the second half was coming since it started, and that it would be in the summer.

Jarmel

Banned
Wow so um after seeing Highscool DxD on that list I wiki'd it to see what's about. I then saw a Youtube video of the ED. Wow. Highschool students working that pole.

So how was the rest of the series? I might go watch it now.

If it's worth anything to you, the show was initially announced as being two-cour. We always knew the second half was coming since it started, and that it would be in the summer.

I somehow must have missed that announcement. Really looking forward to it and I'm hoping they expand more into outer space.

Wow so um after seeing Highscool DxD on that list I wiki'd it to see what's about. I then saw a Youtube video of the ED. Wow. Highschool students working that pole.

It was actually pretty good. Had some surprisingly entertaining harem hijinks and a few well-choreographed fight scenes. Among my favorite shows of last season.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Faithful to the Harem King name. Mostly entertaining but if you don't like things feeling incomplete you'll find it's a pretty small chunk of a much bigger story.

Thoraxes

I somehow must have missed that announcement. Really looking forward to it and I'm hoping they expand more into outer space.

Oh yeah, and me too! Since it's an original series, nobody really knows at all what's going to happen (exciting me for me; I love original series), and I really do hope they go there. It'd be cool to see how
the split advanced branch of humanity has evolved since leaving Earth centuries ago
, not to mention just more of the war and all that goodness.

zeroshiki

It seems like it stabilised around 4k. Oh well, at least Ikuhara can live for another ten years.

More importantly, Crystal Princess figures!
41LFU3hxFoL._SX300_.jpg

I think the 0 budget ONAs kind of affected my impressions of Nyaruko-san. I mean going from a crappy 2 minute flash animation with jokes that often didn't even have a punchline to an actual production with a plot and animation is definitely... well, it's something.

cajunator

Banned
I think the 0 budget ONAs kind of affected my impressions of Nyaruko-san. I mean going from a crappy 2 minute flash animation with jokes that often didn't even have a punchline to an actual production with a plot and animation is definitely... well, it's something.

Its refreshing is what it is. I can watch this and enjoy it. I couldnt make it through those awful flash videos. This, however, was a joy to watch.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kuroko's Basketball 01
cUbBm.jpg

There was some pretty distracting music in this. At one point it sounded like someone furiously blowing into an electric kazoo. Pretty much everything else ranged from bad to unimpressive in what seems like a pretty stock standard sports show. The focus of this series on a character who makes a special ability out of not being noticed just seems...ill advised, and his immediate bond to stronger guy from America just seems to come from nowhere.

wonzo

Banned
I have to admit it's a rather clever way of lowering expectations for the TV series.

Medaka Box 1 - Very much like the manga, which means it's going to be a moderately amusing comedy series for a while, before it turns into a generic shonen action series. I'll probably stop watching at some point, but this episode wasn't too bad. This episode was a decently average action/comedy series episode, where the main characters are introduced and then deal with the problems in the kendo club.

You overrate how bad the Toei art is. And as I said, it fits the story better than KyoAni's better but overly-moe stuff does... the characters look more like they should in the Toei art. Well, the female ones anwyay. I'm not certain about the MC.

Rin is best character and best tsundere.
This is true, but we don't agree on anything else here.

I can understand Shirou's mentality though. It's somewhat sexist but that sentiment still exists and his mindset is more of a traditional form of chivalry anyway.
Somewhat sexist? Somewhat? That's ridiculous, it's some of the most sexist stuff I've seen from a mainstream anime character, ever. I know some people excuse it away by saying "well it's just because he actually likes Saber", but seriously, that's no excuse, and is that even true when he starts being a moron at the beginning of the series?

Seriously, the whole point is that his traditional chivalry mindset is completely idiotic compared to the power of the summoned warriors. Continuing to "protect" female characters from fighting simply because of their gender when they're quite strong and capable fighters is awful retrograde sexism that even anime, usually full of sexism, doesn't always do anymore. Shirou, and the Maken-Ki MC, are excpetions to that, which is an important part of why both are such awful characters.

Of course, both are bad for more reasons than just that -- in fact, they're not really GOOD characters in many ways (though Shirou does have some good ideals, which is more than I can say for the Maken-Ki MC)...

The anime ends just when shit gets uber dark. That's part of the injustice of the whole thing in that we miss the really good stuff.
We have opposite views on this as well. I thought the series got completely awful as soon as it went grimdark, with stupid, stupid plot point after stupid plot point. The best part of the franchise is the first anime series.

So if you had a choice between purchasing the blu ray or purchasing the dvds, which would you get?
I don't own an HDTV or a Blu-Ray player, so that's not too hard to decide (though yes, on my computer I often do watch HD content (though my PC monitors are 4:3, not 16:9 :) ), and it is better quality, DVDs look fine too while watching them. Heck, I have no problem with VHS either, if that's all I have for something. (VHS is of course much lower quality, but I have a bigger issue with the fact that they don't have multiple language tracks... that is annoying.)

Basically, I like better visuals just fine (sure, I can tell the difference between 480p and 720p), but don't have much of a problem with watching lower-definition stuff either.

>Watches a visual medium
"I am not a videophile."

...what?
Um, you do understand that those two things are different, right?
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 01:

meh. If repeating the first part of the show wasn't already a blatant cost-cutting measure, it would still be unbelievably stupid because the original sequence was already indicating HEY, THIS IS ALL HAPPENING BECAUSE OF A GHOST about as directly as it possibly could. Everyone's pessimism about Silver Link appears to have been well-founded. This was some of the most hamfisted exposition and character establishment I've ever seen, though it didn't help that the characters seem pretty dull regardless.

Add in some really terrible CG backgrounds and a general lack of animation and this one can pretty much be declared dead on arrival. I wonder whether I'll drop this or Medaka Box first.
This just isn't true at all, the repeat part with Yuuko in it was pretty funny. It wouldn't have been as amusing with just the first part. The visuals aren't as good as the manga, but apart from that it's a fine adaptation so far.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 1

Tacky, is the quickest way to describe that one. Bad dialogues, bad art, bad animation, and even clumsier feeling story-boarding--like many of you guys have mentioned, the blatant repetition being the biggest offender. I was hoping that it'd explore her being a bit of a devil from the get go, rather than
relegate the aspect to a simple shot at the end, and jump head on into harem hijinks
for just about all of the episode.
You'll see the reason for this (the devil thing) later.

I hear that the manga's actually kind of good, and the art does look leagues above what is on offer here, so I'll give it a read before I write this off completely. Regardless, it's safe to say that I won't be watching anymore of this.

The OP, Choir Jail, (ED in this ep) is pretty bomb though. I'm an absolute sucker for power pop, and that double bass spoke to the heart. Also to note, I do love that it's another OP this season that gives a bit of insight into the character, though this does it with a much heavier hand than say: Lupin or Champloo's ED.
If you think that was all just wacky hyjinx, you obviously weren't paying enough attention... while there was some of that (though this really isn't a harem show; there's a harem setting, but not an actual harem.), there was plot too. The conversation in the elevator, the part once they reach the grave on the hill... those parts were starting to introduce some plot themes. Of course it'll get much more later, but it DID start here.

frostbyte

Even though almost everyone says Tasogare is bad, the badass english name, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, practically makes me want to watch it.

I think I'm crazy sometimes.

Steroyd

Oh wow.

What the hell is that? I mean, I would think every single employee at Toei would be capable of drawing Luffy.

They've only been at it for 10+ years, cut them some slack.

Somewhat sexist? Somewhat? That's ridiculous, it's some of the most sexist stuff I've seen from a mainstream anime character, ever. I know some people excuse it away by saying "well it's just because he actually likes Saber", but seriously, that's no excuse, and is that even true when he starts being a moron at the beginning of the series?

Yeah, Shiro was awful. He was out and out told that she's one of the strongest servants out there, even Tohsaka Rin was bitching how she was looking to summon Saber and Shiro basically tells Saber to stay in the kitchen and break some eggs because she's a girl, while he goes off and gets cut in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom