• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Woah fuck, I'd buy an entire god damn set of those Bake figurines.

(Okay maybe only Senjou and Araragi)

Do pony horns count as ahoge/fauxhoge?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Woah fuck, I'd buy an entire god damn set of those Bake figurines.

(Okay maybe only Senjou and Araragi)

Do pony horns count as ahoge/fauxhoge?

we an entire thread for ponies, let's not deface the pure and innocent anime thread with them. :(

Westlo

Fate/Zero 1-5

The only thing I can say about this is.... why the fuck didn't I watch this when it was airing? Also god damn Rider is a boss and that Berserker action in Episode 5... I will never doubt duckroll again.

sonicmj1

SuperSpace Brothers 1-2

It took this show for me to realize that in all the classy, well-directed stuff I watched last "season", all of it had a really distinctive art style and such that also made it stand out. This show doesn't have that. It doesn't seem particularly high budget. But it's really well directed. I love the way it moves between scenes and indicates the passage of time. It flows really smoothly.

The plot isn't particularly exciting in general, but Mutta is a good protagonist. He's very animated, and likable without being flawless. He's a character you want to see succeed. It's not easy to capture someone who's extremely capable in a way that makes them seem really human, but I think that Mutta's a pretty good example of that so far. He has a lot of self-doubt, and beyond some of the "an elder brother must lead the way!" stuff, it's earned.

I'm glad we got to meet some people outside of Mutta's family in the second episode. I'm looking forward to watching our hero achieve his dream.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
bakemonofigs.jpg

normally i don't care about figurines but i'd be lying if these didn't pique my interest.

Dedication Through Light

Nah, Kanon 2002 has been pretty terrible so far.

I want these since they're the best Bakemonogatari figures I've seen.

Westlo

That is the worst thing you could take from this experience. :( Fate/zero is really the only exception to the duckroll hype machine.

As if my friend! Surely you've forgotten all about.. Sta.. um... well uh... how about that Blo... oh nevermind... well the Blood C Movie looks good!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
As if my friend! Surely you've forgotten all about.. Sta.. um... well uh... how about that Blo... oh nevermind... well the Blood C Movie looks good!

Blood C is a strange beast to be sure, but it really isn't comparable to Fate/Zero when it comes to ducky actually being right.

Everyone is looking forward to the BloodC movie!

The strangest case of ahoge I ever saw was in Ikkitousen, the first season of that show was done by one studio and Hakafu lacked her trademark ahoge. Then the following seasons were done by a different studio and they reverted her character design to have the ahoge. I never got past the second season of that show though.

Fate/Zero 1-5

The only thing I can say about this is.... why the fuck didn't I watch this when it was airing? Also god damn Rider is a boss and that Berserker action in Episode 5... I will never doubt duckroll again.

That would be a mistake. I think F/Z is the only show that ever actually lived up to ducky's hype in all the time I've been here.

Haly

I want these since they're the best Bakemonogatari figures I've seen.
Possibly the only good ones in existence.

Now here's to hoping they don't mess up the coloring some how.

Also dat classy wooden stand.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Can you hear that? It's the sound of another Biglobe poll. Today's topic: shows that you enjoyed but sold poorly. Top 30 below (sales data included where available), rest at the link:

edit: it seems that only shows below the Manabi Line (~3000) were eligible.

While I'm glad people liked Ben-To, it's sad they didn't buy it. ;_;

K-ON 13

Man this episode was very weird. Something felt off the entire time till the end.

Loved it when she called the cat Azunyan #2

Fuck the haters, Azu-nyan's adorable. :3

Don't leave...

iefTJ5uqjAHWf.gif

*dies*

CARS ARE NOT DIFFICULT TO DRAW.

Funnily enough, cars are one of the things I have difficulty drawing. I have difficulty drawing mechanical objects in general. ;_;

Morris

Disco Devil
NTR of Versailles 25

obbVI.png

Fersen's immediate reaction after seeing her is ask for a dance, what a pimp.

I like where this is going.

Sailor Moon R 61

1EUCl.gif

Only one episode dating and they're breaking up already? Shit...

Then he hit up Chibiusa after that? Mamoru is COLD. That face was heartbreaking.

BluWacky

That would be a mistake. I think F/Z is the only show that ever actually lived up to ducky's hype in all the time I've been here.

duckroll is a wise prophet. He knew the greatness of Aikawa-flavoured FMA in 2003. He told me of Sword of the Stranger when it was but Mukoh Hadan. He spoke in wonder of Gurren Lagann (alright, so I didn't like TTGL myself, but I know why it's a great show that just wasn't my kind of thing).

Repent, heathens, and embrace the hype machine. You know Kids on the Slope will save us all.

Novid

Banned
Bagi, the Monster of Mighty Nature

As touched upon before, this is a made for tv movie written by Osamu Tezuka after Japan approved recombinant DNA research in 1984. Bagi is a human/cat hybrid that grows up not knowing her past but her attachment to her previous owner, Ryu, results in them crossing paths again and setting off on a journey to find out the truth of her past. It carries a theme that mankind and unchecked science make for a dangerous combination and uses some strong visuals in the laboratory environment in the middle of the film to portray this.

As much as I'm loathe to phrase it this way, this movie hasn't aged well. The character animation is inconsistent with malformed faces and Bagi herself being at least four different colors, the cuts for commercials are really distracting (and reminded me of older Chuck Jones made for TV projects for reason I can't quite put my finger on), and overall it's in dire of need of editing as there's a lot of bizarre scenes that don't really enhance the overall product but rather detract. In particular, there's quite a few innocent scenes that almost feel uncomfortable when taken out of context which is more the onus of the viewer than the creators and it's a pity too because there's really a touching story to be found in Bagi but it's mired under many, many problems.

Example of inconsistency as the main character is apparently a hunchback in this shot.

Bagi in her youth.

Movie took a weird stylistic shift twice where things became more cartoony even when attending to a serious matter.

I'm still a neophyte and ignorant in the ways of AnimeGAF and as such my vocabulary isn't quite up to snuff what with your ahoges, ahegaos, NTRs, DFCs, and moe but does this constitute waifu material?

iln3iEXUjQP7l.gif
ibvUwMylyUEhPy.gif

i kinda heard of the film... heard it was rushed to no end. it looked like it could have been something.

Haly

The Hosodapocalypse will be such a momentous event that it's impact will reach through time to turn everyone in this thread furry.

Haly

The impact hasn't occured yet though, we are only feeling its aftereffects.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor moon 08

I'm about to go to sleep so I'll make this one brief.

It is said that Japanese students have to study their asses off to get into good school. Usagi is doomed from the start.

There appears to be a new Student.
Ami Mizuno. Luna suspects she might be a Youma because she gives off strange energy.

Luna does some research
in some sort of secret program hidden inside of a Sailor V arcade game.
cool.

Usagi and Luna
follow ami around and eventually in the computer lab they see her, and a youma appears, using computer learning software disks to drain peoples energy. The youma tries to drain her brain energy, but discovers that she didnt use the disk because she doesnt believe in using computers to study.
JOKES ON YOU BITCH!

At this point, Luna
realizes whats going on and Ami's forehead shows a symbol.
She throws a henshin wand at Ami and she uses it to transform into SAILOR MERCURY.
OH YES BUBBLE GIRL IS HERE. Except its not called shitty bubble blast, its called shabon Spray,
like it damn well should.

So, long story short, they work together to fuck the youmas world up and Usagi has herself a magical girl team.

Now we're getting somewhere!

sonicmj1

Ano Natsu 3

So how did Ichika figure out that Kaito and Kanna were in Karuizawa?

Well, I guess I interpreted the end of Episode 2 completely wrong.

This was fun. I like the way the show handles the fantasies the characters have. Humorous and informative.
Kicking things off with Kaito's fears was a great way to lead into this episode.

And what could have been a huge misunderstanding that lingered for ages and ages is resolved by the close of the curtain. Yaaay.

So far, every action and bit of drama has lead pretty naturally from the characters communicating with each other and making independent decisions. It's good!

I'm also still a big fan of the photography. Perhaps the shots could have more depth, but there's still a very nice sense of space.

Lkguo.jpg

This shot works on so many levels!

Great cliffhanger. Can't wait to see what happens next!

frostbyte

Ano Natsu 3

So how did Ichika figure out that Kaito and Kanna were in Karuizawa?

Well, I guess I interpreted the end of Episode 2 completely wrong.

This was fun. I like the way the show handles the fantasies the characters have. Humorous and informative.
Kicking things off with Kaito's fears was a great way to lead into this episode.

And what could have been a huge misunderstanding that lingered for ages and ages is resolved by the close of the curtain. Yaaay.

So far, every action and bit of drama has lead pretty naturally from the characters communicating with each other and making independent decisions. It's good!

I'm also still a big fan of the photography. Perhaps the shots could have more depth, but there's still a very nice sense of space.

Great cliffhanger. Can't wait to see what happens next!

You're in for a treat. I just finished it the other day myself.

I'm guessing Ichika knew because, by train, the nearest town/shopping district is in Karuizawa? Or just treat it as a convenient plot point, i guess :p

Jarmel

Banned
Somewhat sexist? Somewhat? That's ridiculous, it's some of the most sexist stuff I've seen from a mainstream anime character, ever. I know some people excuse it away by saying "well it's just because he actually likes Saber", but seriously, that's no excuse, and is that even true when he starts being a moron at the beginning of the series?

Seriously, the whole point is that his traditional chivalry mindset is completely idiotic compared to the power of the summoned warriors. Continuing to "protect" female characters from fighting simply because of their gender when they're quite strong and capable fighters is awful retrograde sexism that even anime, usually full of sexism, doesn't always do anymore. Shirou, and the Maken-Ki MC, are excpetions to that, which is an important part of why both are such awful characters.

Of course, both are bad for more reasons than just that -- in fact, they're not really GOOD characters in many ways (though Shirou does have some good ideals, which is more than I can say for the Maken-Ki MC)...

He does depend on them in each of the arcs but I don't see anything particularly bad about wanting to protect someone you care about from life and death scenarios. Yes they're stronger than him but he tries to get stronger so as to reduce that discrepancy. I also would say he's just more uncomfortable with the concept of a woman fighting his battles but when push comes to shove he still allows it.

The difference between Shirou and the lead in Maken-Ki is that the Maken-Ki fights are nowhere near as serious for the most part.

We have opposite views on this as well. I thought the series got completely awful as soon as it went grimdark, with stupid, stupid plot point after stupid plot point. The best part of the franchise is the first anime series.

I didn't like one plot point in particular FMP
the whole amnesia bit
but I much preferred the more serious tone.

In all fairness, the only reason why Fate/Zero stood up to duckroll's hype machine is because the machine didn't actually start until after the first episode aired. Prior to that it was subjected to his anti-hype machine.

frostbyte

He does depend on them in each of the arcs but I don't see anything particularly bad about wanting to protect someone you care about from life and death scenarios. Yes they're stronger than him but he tries to get stronger so as to reduce that discrepancy. I also would say he's just more uncomfortable with the concept of a woman fighting his battles but when push comes to shove he still allows it.

Through the daily
spars and training
with Saber, Shirou knows he is incompetent both in mana and strength even just compared to the other Masters, let alone the Servants. His 'chivalry' is outright insulting to Saber, a hero who has fought many more battles than him, and yet he still coddles her around. Shirou knows no matter how much he improves on his Reinforcement magic or physical skills, he'll still be nothing compared when trying to fight Servants in place of Saber, especially after he got beaten in by
Berserker when they first meet Ilya at night.
He's still getting in Saber's way and tries the hardest to assert himself as the stronger male while relegating Saber to the secondary role as women in the kitchen.

Shirou only really 'allows' Saber to fight when he's lying on the floor dying from Berserker/Rider/Caster/etc's attacks, and that happens a lot.

He's stubborn and sexist to a fault, I don't see how you can defend that.

why am i still discussing fate stuff today...

Well, that's the allegedly terrible anime adaptation of it.

I haven't watched it. I guess as bad as F/SN adaptation?

Should I read the VN then?

Yeah I know about the anime series. It wasnt bad.

omg you changed your avvy. so [REDACTED]!

cajunator

Banned
It really does seem like I like all the Type Moon stuff that everybody else hates. Because I liked the Lunar Legend Tsukihime series. It isnt even that long of a series.

Jarmel

Banned
Through the daily
spars and training
with Saber, Shirou knows he is incompetent both in mana and strength even just compared to the other Masters, let alone the Servants. His 'chivalry' is outright insulting to Saber, a hero who has fought many more battles than him, and yet he still coddles her around. Shirou knows no matter how much he improves on his Reinforcement magic or physical skills, he'll still be nothing compared when trying to fight Servants in place of Saber, especially after he got beaten in by
Berserker when they first meet Ilya at night.
He's still getting in Saber's way and tries the hardest to assert himself as the stronger male while relegating Saber to the secondary role as women in the kitchen.

Shirou only really 'allows' Saber to fight when he's lying on the floor dying from Berserker/Rider/Caster/etc's attacks, and that happens a lot.

He's stubborn and sexist to a fault, I don't see how you can defend that.

why am i still discussing fate stuff today...
!

Well that concept of not having a woman fight your battles is still relatively engrained into society. Not to mention we don't know how exactly he would have handled a male servant. His personality seems to be that of the type of hating that anyone, regardless of sex, would suffer in his place instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom