• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
High School DXD OVA 2

Man the wait for S2 is painful! Loved the OVA for what it showed off. Need more though.

I want more Issei and Rias action. Also more harem and the appearance of Vali + Azazel.

LegatoB

I think there was enough vagueness in S1 that someone who didn't read the LNs could easily fool themselves into thinking incest won't be a major thing in the series. If you were a LN reader or watched the last few episodes of S2 and still thought incest played little/no role then, yeah, you were pretty deluded.
The ambivalence was definitely intentional in the first series of the anime. "We'll write the sibling dynamic just close enough to 'romantic' anime tropes to confuse the viewer about whether we're seriously doing the incest angle or just writing a show about awkward teenage nerds who model their behavior unconsciously on the nerd culture they absorb," basically. I don't know if that was accurate to the source material or not (and nor do I really care), but it sounds like they've given up the pretense now. Too bad.

Kurita

image.php

(Stop fishing for avatar quotes!)

I've never asked for so many avatar quotes!

I watched Oreimo episode 1 and dropped it when I realized that it's a show about a boy giving his sister advice about anime. Cute little story yeah, but not my kind of thing.

I never thought it would end up with all these incest controversies! I mean what the hell?

Is incest like the magic word that creators use when they're running low on funds?

"Oh no, my show about a bunch of kids trapped in a MMO isn't selling well! Incest awaaaaaay!"

I watched Oreimo episode 1 and dropped it when I realized that it's a show about a boy giving his sister advice about anime. Cute little story yeah, but not my kind of thing.

I never thought it would end up with all these incest controversies! I mean what the hell?

The title is "My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be This Cute". It was going in that direction from the very beginning. I don't see how this can legitimately be considered a surprise.

cnet128

Banned
I can confirm that brother-sister incest is totally a legitimate fetish! I love that stuff. (Two brothers, no sisters here, so I guess I fit into the "can't properly understand how delusional the entire concept is" category.) Not that I was hoping for an incest end in this particular franchise, but that's more due to the fact that Kuroneko and Kyousuke make such a cute couple than anything else.

Yeah, this too. I can imagine a lot of the thought process is "Why try to find a girlfriend in the outside world when I already have a perfect girl living under the same roof?". Or something. But of course, in real life, anyone who actually has a sibling knows how ridiculous that thought process is.

That sounds about right. The forbidden-fruit angle is definitely a part of it as well, but I think the biggest draw of the fetish is the idea of automatically having such an close relationship with a girl. Living under the same roof, the unparalleled intimacy of spending your whole lives together, inevitably getting to see each other in states of undress that would be scandalous in any other context...it's a pretty unique situation, really. Like osananajimi taken up to eleven. If it weren't for the biologically hard-coded mental blocks that stop it from happening in real life, it would be hard to imagine such a setup not escalating into something more.

Oh, and I second the Koi Kaze recommendation. Anyone who's not fundamentally opposed to incest shouldn't miss that series. It's absolutely beautiful.

The title is "My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be This Cute". It was going in that direction from the very beginning. I don't see how this can legitimately be considered a surprise.

It could've been the Alanis Morisette of anime titles!

"It's like having ten thousand waifus when all you need is a sister!"

I can confirm that brother-sister incest is totally a legitimate fetish! I love that stuff. (Two brothers, no sisters here, so I guess I fit into the "can't properly understand how delusional the entire concept is" category.) Not that I was hoping for an incest end in this particular franchise, but that's more due to the fact that Kuroneko and Kyousuke make such a cute couple than anything else.

That sounds about right. The forbidden-fruit angle is definitely a part of it as well, but I think the biggest draw of the fetish is the idea of automatically having such an close relationship with a girl. Living under the same roof, the unparalleled intimacy of spending your whole lives together, inevitably getting to see each other in states of undress that would be scandalous in any other context...it's a pretty unique situation, really. Like osananajimi taken up to eleven. If it weren't for the biologically hard-coded mental blocks that stop it from happening in real life, it would be hard to imagine such a setup not escalating into something more.

Oh, and I second the Koi Kaze recommendation. Anyone who's not fundamentally opposed to incest shouldn't miss that series. It's absolutely beautiful.

I endorse this post.

My Little Sister Can't Get So Many Avatar Quotes

image.php

Tenumi

Banned
So part of me feels thankful that my opinion of Oreimo went sour after season 1. The other half wants to see the trainwreck in action. Decisions, Decisions.

Oh, and I hooked up a 26 inch TV/monitor to my computer. Now I don't have to rely on my 19 inch monitor or my 15 inch laptop to watch anime!

I don't see how a title about the contemplation on a sister being very cute would lead there. They should warn people whether their show will go in that direction. Oh they can't now can they? Because that would ruin the surprise and the show wouldn't be as popular. It's probably how SAO and this managed to become hits before all the incest stuff happened.

Kusagari

Holy shit if this actually happens in the last Oreimo novel

There was no going back, I had no plans to.
"I..."
I shouted the same line as always.
"I..."
I wasn't going to lie this time. These were my real feelings.

"I! LOVE! MY! SISTER! KIRINO!"

Although I had been searching for one all this time, there was no way of escaping it. No middle ground.
I had no choice but to go press on.
"...Is that so."
Mustering her courage to hear my reply as best she could, Manami smiled, her eyes filled with tears.
"That's gross."
Her voice was clear. I replied, laughing, "Oh, incest is the greatest! I'll show you a real little sister end!"

Author flat out trolling.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

"I..."
"I..."

Although I had been searching for one all this time, there was no way of escaping it. No middle ground.
"...Is that so."
Mustering her courage to hear my reply as best she could, Manami smiled, her eyes filled with tears.
"That's gross."
Her voice was clear. I replied, laughing, "Oh, incest is the greatest! I'll show you a real little sister end!"

JAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

"I..."
"I..."

"...Is that so."
"That's gross."

That....

That....

.....That can't be the dialogue right....?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why does every LN/VN narrator sound the same?

Is something just lost in translation?

"I..."
"I..."

"...Is that so."
"That's gross."

That's...great. That's wonderful. You want that? Great go ahead! It's totally fine! Absolutely nothing is wrong with thatwoejrpoajepowja

WHAT THE FUCK AM I READING?!?!?

I don't see how a title about the contemplation on a sister being very cute would lead there. They should warn people whether their show will go in that direction. Oh they can't now can they? Because that would ruin the surprise and the show wouldn't be as popular. It's probably how SAO and this managed to become hits before all the incest stuff happened.

I think it's pretty obvious. The title involves the guy talking about how cute his sister is. Just about everyone knew from just hearing the title that it was about incest.

Syrinx

"I..."
"I..."

"...Is that so."
"That's gross."

All ma' "Why?"s

Jex

"I..."
"I..."

"...Is that so."
"That's gross."

That better be the actual dialogue.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

What, SAO isn't an incest show, oreimo was always about the incest, people need to stop deluding themselves.

cajunator

Banned

I guess on to K-On two exclamation marks. Can I skip to the second season without having seen the first?

Watch the first season before the second.
Lots of great stuff in there. the characters are already established by season 2.

Ok yeah, that makes a fair amount of sense. Now I'm just mad thinking about the people ignoring YA novels because of the label. There are grown people out there who've never read The Phantom Tollbooth! Kids Adults these days.

I never READ that novel but I did see that awesome animated childrens movie about it.

Dammit guys you have no idea how tempting that spoiler bar is. But I will not click! I want to read the final novel for myself!

you know EXACTLY how it ends!

I got some exclusive pic of their future!!!

All these reactions to something that was so obvious. but at least I know what bumped this thread 6 pages in a few hours.

Don't.

Your time is better spent on more fun mecha show like Vandread.

Vandread is excellent. Its not Nadesico though.

Sounds like a magical girl show. Those are sorta out of my bounds.

Corvy kun watch Madoka Magica. Its VERY unlike other mahou shoujo. Its on a much deeper level and not so much infuriating as thought provoking and occasionally a bit distrubing. Doesnt follow the mahou shoujo formula at all.

Someone didn't like the ending!

Otaku really are extremely wasteful. They literally just throw away money like this.

Cajunroll.

Bestroll.

Did they just give up on learning how to draw ears?

Arent they supposed to be some other kind of humanoid? Or maybe its just a weird design quirk.

Calling it now:

He has a boy with Kirino and a girl with Kuroneko.

The two kids kiss each other and thats the end of OreImo.

Everybody goes home both happy and disgusted. A truly fitting ending.

I like this ending the best.

For some reason I want to rewatch Police Academy now.

You should always want to!

If we could have more light novels like Twelve Kingdoms (I know you hate it, but I don't!), or Kino's Journeys - or hell, even Read or Die - that would be just swell.

I'd even take Scrapped Princess again, if I could.

Havent read the novels but these anime are all good so they are probably worth reading.

I laughed pretty hard at this. Probably cause I just woke up.

"I..."
"I..."

"...Is that so."
"That's gross."

Good going Kyosuke!

I'd say this entire page needs to be spoilered, but I guess people have given up.

Did s1 really not have that stuff, or were you guys just seeing what you wanted to see?

I think we have our answer now.

There was some occasional teasing, but in general, it never felt like anything more than a platonic sibling relationship. Didn't feel any different than Daisuke and Rin's relationship in the sense that it was just family.

When the OVAs came around, things were starting to become less clear on just what the relationship between the siblings was.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

"I..."
"I..."

"...Is that so."
"That's gross."

Will it be in the anime?

Jex

Seriously though, people should really watch Koi Kaze. It's a real great romance series that's about incest.

No, this isn't a troll recommendation, or even a recommendation that points you in the direction of a show that's entertaining because it's dumb. It's a genuinely good series.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

"I..."
"I..."

"...Is that so."
"That's gross."

Amazing. Oh my days that is great.

jman2050

"I..."
"I..."

"...Is that so."
"That's gross."

How could you leave out
Manami punching the dude in the stomach right after that in response
and also this gem:

Kirino : "Kiririn epic win!"
She clapped.
"hey how do you feel now? hey Manami-san, now that I've stolen Kyousuke, how do you feel?"
Bish! Manami's fist got buried in Kirino's stomach.
Wait! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Kirino : "Ugh! what are you doing?"
Manami: "This is how I feel"
// Brawling occurs

Patlabor TV 7

It's nice to see Section 1 getting some action. Although touched on some technological subjects worth exploring - whether progress in research should be focused on above all else, and how to reconcile the inhumanity of machines with the humans who use them.

If machines have a soul, it's one we give to them. And that can be a useful concept, as emotional attachment to a machine may make you think twice before doing something foolish with it.

Seriously though, people should really watch Koi Kaze. It's a real great romance series that's about incest.

No, this isn't a troll recommendation, or even a recommendation that points you in the direction of a show that's entertaining because it's dumb. It's a genuinely good series.

I have it in my list already

How could you leave out
and also this gem:

That is fantastic.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

"I..."
"I..."

"...Is that so."
"That's gross."

I need this whole novel inside me.

Kusagari

How could you leave out
and also this gem:

I knew about the
punch
but I didn't see anything about them getting into a
straight out catfight

This sounds amazing.

Pooya

Will it be in the anime?

I don't think so

I'm not sure there is any anime with real incest (not it's not really his sister stuff) in it ends up happily and actually encouraging such relationship, it's usually the other way around and it ends kinda badly even if incest happens, definitely not something that's aired on TV prime time... I think I read some where that they are some rules about this stuff and depicting such relationships in Japanese media. I don't think Japan is ready for that on TV.. .yet, you have to start from somewhere though! who knows lol.

anime probably will be different.

... these spoilers are making me actually go and watch Oreimo... seriously, I'm ashamed. #mustresist.

"I..."
"I..."

"...Is that so."
"That's gross."

O_O WHOA! That is scary how that would actually make sense.

I don't think so

I'm not sure there is any anime with real incest (not it's not really his sister stuff) in it ends up happily and actually encouraging such relationship, it's usually they other way around and it ends kinda badly even if incest happens, definitely not something that's aired on TV prime time... I think I read some where that they are some rules about this stuff and depicting such relationships in Japanese media. I don't think Japan is ready for that on TV.. .yet, you have to start from somewhere though! who knows lol.

anime probably will be different.

... these spoilers are making actually go and watch Oreimo... seriously, I ashamed. #mustresist.

The thing with the anime is that the last three episodes won't be aired on TV, but released globally sometime later.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom