• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, I think with the way this thread has gone, anyone who didn't want to be spoiled on Oreimo already has been. You can easily guess the context of most of these reactions.

It's Usagi Drop all over again.

Discussion of Usagi Drop's ending will never dissipate because it's inherently, deeply horrifying in light of how the story carried itself theretofore and will be until the end of time. Tomorrow, everyone will look back on the Oreimo end, look in the proverbial dead dove bag and declare "I don't know what I expected", and that'll be that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Has Miyazaki really lost it?!

Hayao Miyazaki's new movie Kaze Tachinu opens in Japan on July 20. Today they had a press conference where they announced the full cast and screened the 4 minute trailer to the press for the first time. The trailer screens in cinemas across Japan starting this weekend. But that's not what I'm here to share with you. You can check out details about the movie and pretty posters in Sculli's thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541425

I'm here to talk to you about the amazing audio production details for this movie. It is either an act of true artistic genius, or Miyazaki has lost his marbles due to old age. It's hard to tell which is which yet, but the producer confirmed at the press conference that the film will feature a mono only soundtrack and that for the fighter plane engine sound effects, they've decided to employ a technique of recording effects produced by human vocals.

This, combined with the fact that the lead role in the film is played by Hideaki Anno, makes the audio in the film potentially jarring. Anno is the director of Evangelion. He's 53 years old, and he's not a professional voice actor or normal actor in any capacity. He is an animator and a director. But it doesn't seem to have deterred Miyazaki from casting him in the lead role of a young man. Super weird.

The movie looks pretty interesting, and is definitely one of the most realistic and heaviest films which Miyazaki has ever made, but this is just starting to sound strange. I understand the desire to want to do "old things" to capture the 1920s era, which the film is set in, but I dunno if this is a great idea considering how mainstream Ghibli is, and the normal expectations attached to a big blockbuster film from the studio and from Miyazaki. Lol.

kMt5JFo.jpg

Looks like spoilers are out for the final OreImo volume and
there's really no defending of this vile shit now. ~incest end~

Honestly, between these two, I'm not sure what is more hilarious. lol

Midonin

Aikatsu 34

Kaede kinda comes in out of nowhere and swipes a spot in Tristar out from under everybody else, but I can't hate her. She has that anime "American" accent, and her circusy style is so entertaining to watch. A magician/clown hybrid who runs a sushi shop and tightrope walks over the Golden Gate Bridge for fun.

Plus she can do illusions like this.

7eb5c6R.gif

Discussion of Usagi Drop's ending will never dissipate because it's inherently, deeply horrifying in light of how the story carried itself theretofore and will be until the end of time. Tomorrow, everyone will look back on the Oreimo end, look in the proverbial dead dove bag and declare "I don't know what I expected", and that'll be that.

Maybe not quite to the same extent as Usagi Drop, but Oreimo definitely seemed to be setting itself up to go a different route.

Averon

Maybe not quite to the same extent as Usagi Drop, but Oreimo definitely seemed to be setting itself up to go a different route.

I don't know. If you were only following S1 of the anime and was ignorant of the LNs, yeah, I can see how you may think that. But even as an anime only follower, the last few episodes of S2 made it fairly clear where the series was ultimately heading.

cnet128

Banned
Meanwhile, on a completely unrelated note from OreImo ending spoiler meltdowns,

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 1

So far, so not-terrible.

Feels pretty much exactly like the first series right now for the most part, albeit with some cosmetic changes. Mepple and Mipple's cellphone-forms got a new look (BUY OUR MERCHANDISE, BUY IT ALL), Nagisa and Sidekick got a new transformation sequence (it's much worse than the old one) and PRECURE MARBLE SCREW got an upgrade (it doesn't look too bad).

Amazingly, the only one of my five Best Parts of Precure that didn't actually come true in the first series almost did come true in this episode.
The manifestation of all that is wrong with the world shattered into three pieces...and one of those pieces shattered into twelve. That makes fourteen pieces total if I'm counting correctly, which isn't quite the billion I was hoping for, but if it gets that giant CG monstrosity out of my face, I ain't complaining!

Of course, it seems likely that
one of those pieces is going to end up becoming Shiny Luminous, who AnimeGAF seems to think is also the manifestation of all that is wrong with the world
. I'll reserve judgement on that until the girl in question stops standing around in the background of scenes looking mysterious and starts being an actual character (
yes, yes, I know, she has no character, ololol
), but if it's true, at least we can say she's consistent!

Or maybe not so consistent, since the
Queen fragment
that showed up in this episode seemed like a big improvement on the original. Adorable little fairy creature >
giant CG monstrosity
any day.

I already miss the first season's ending theme (even if it was starting to get a little old after 49 episodes of it including one where it was the focus of the plot) because the new ending theme is fucking awful. I guess there's a possibility it will grow on me, but I'm not feeling it at all right now. Also, ED animation? What animation? It looks like they threw this shit together in two minutes. Possibly less. At least the OP is still catchy.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Hayao Miyazaki's new movie Kaze Tachinu opens in Japan on July 20. Today they had a press conference where they announced the full cast and screened the 4 minute trailer to the press for the first time. The trailer screens in cinemas across Japan starting this weekend. But that's not what I'm here to share with you. You can check out details about the movie and pretty posters in Sculli's thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541425

I'm here to talk to you about the amazing audio production details for this movie. It is either an act of true artistic genius, or Miyazaki has lost his marbles due to old age. It's hard to tell which is which yet, but the producer confirmed at the press conference that the film will feature a mono only soundtrack and that for the fighter plane engine sound effects, they've decided to employ a technique of recording effects produced by human vocals.

This, combined with the fact that the lead role in the film is played by Hideaki Anno, makes the audio in the film potentially jarring. Anno is the director of Evangelion. He's 53 years old, and he's not a professional voice actor or normal actor in any capacity. He is an animator and a director. But it doesn't seem to have deterred Miyazaki from casting him in the lead role of a young man. Super weird.

The movie looks pretty interesting, and is definitely one of the most realistic and heaviest films which Miyazaki has ever made, but this is just starting to sound strange. I understand the desire to want to do "old things" to capture the 1920s era, which the film is set in, but I dunno if this is a great idea considering how mainstream Ghibli is, and the normal expectations attached to a big blockbuster film from the studio and from Miyazaki. Lol.

kMt5JFo.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

Yes, I know it's Anno, and yes this is insane.

Meanwhile, on a completely unrelated note from OreImo ending spoiler meltdowns,

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 1

So far, so not-terrible.

Feels pretty much exactly like the first series right now for the most part, albeit with some cosmetic changes. Mepple and Mipple's cellphone-forms got a new look (BUY OUR MERCHANDISE, BUY IT ALL), Nagisa and Sidekick got a new transformation sequence (it's much worse than the old one) and PRECURE MARBLE SCREW got an upgrade (it doesn't look too bad).

Amazingly, the only one of my five Best Parts of Precure that didn't actually come true in the first series almost did come true in this episode.
The manifestation of all that is wrong with the world shattered into three pieces...and one of those pieces shattered into twelve. That makes fourteen pieces total if I'm counting correctly, which isn't quite the billion I was hoping for, but if it gets that giant CG monstrosity out of my face, I ain't complaining!

Of course, it seems likely that
one of those pieces is going to end up becoming Shiny Luminous, who AnimeGAF seems to think is also the manifestation of all that is wrong with the world
. I'll reserve judgement on that until the girl in question stops standing around in the background of scenes looking mysterious and starts being an actual character (
yes, yes, I know, she has no character, ololol
), but if it's true, at least we can say she's consistent!

Or maybe not so consistent, since the
Queen fragment
that showed up in this episode seemed like a big improvement on the original. Adorable little fairy creature >
giant CG monstrosity
any day.

I already miss the first season's ending theme (even if it was starting to get a little old after 49 episodes of it including one where it was the focus of the plot) because the new ending theme is fucking awful. I guess there's a possibility it will grow on me, but I'm not feeling it at all right now. Also, ED animation? What animation? It looks like they threw this shit together in two minutes. Possibly less. At least the OP is still catchy.

She's the Citizen Cure of Pretty Cures.

Jex

kMt5JFo.jpg

I'd say he's lost it.

Ultimadrago

K-On! 4-6

Starting with, ah, the training camp episode. In the past, the contrast of the energetic (
and then crashed
) Yui & Ritsu compared the more restrained Mugi & Mio is what I liked best from the episode. It's far from the only time one makes the distinction, but the execution is still a part of what makes this episode rather enjoyable. Today, I'm more conscious of how Mio-focused it really is, showing the bold moves she desires and demands from the club in order for it to progress despite her being easily rattled (to a cartoonish degree) in other circumstances.
The change of scenery didn't hurt for sure and antics like "Moe, Moe Mio" and the scene with the fireworks make it a fun episode to watch.

Next up is returning to the school for
Christmas Cake
. This episode is best described slightly better than the opening ones, due to the character formally introduced. That dash and rock out scene is still pretty good. The tongue-in-cheek melodramatic story less so, but it's still one of the better introductions I suppose.
The bad lyrics and singing were kind of cute.

Parts of episode 6 worth typing about: Sumo wrestlers and child Ritsu.
Also ricebowls

Mouryou no Hako 10

I'm liking these opening sequences based off Kubo Shunkou. Despite a completely the alien time period, they set the tone for the show well
which is explained later in the episode
Legend serves and Kyougokudou tells of
Onbaku-sama!
The thick layer of history and traditional exorcism are quite the dump of information. It's one of my usual qualms with the series, but it
actually works well here because of the reasoning for it. In casual terms, "Priest got told." Rather than expecting an overly abundant amount of knowledge and retention, Kyougokudou expected the old priest to be confused and befuddled in presence of
his folly. It's Kyougokudou's best conversation in the show by far exactly because the overwhelming nature of his knowledge is put to good, visible use.

I wish all of the previous were the same, in order prevent from the occasional dozing off, but I guess the rarity of such a moment is what helped make it special.

Kyougokudou is indeed, "the real thing." This was a better episode capped off. Of course, the ending reminded that it's not the end quite yet.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I had to do it.

I don't know. If you were only following S1 of the anime and was ignorant of the LNs, yeah, I can see how you may think that. But even as an anime only follower, the last few episodes of S2 made it fairly clear where the series was ultimately heading.

Well yeah, I'm mostly only talking about the beginning and based on the early dynamic of Kyosuke and Kirino. Season 2 throws all that out the window.

Well, I think with the way this thread has gone, anyone who didn't want to be spoiled on Oreimo already has been. You can easily guess the context of most of these reactions.

It's Usagi Drop all over again.

Not exactly. Usagi Drop's ending isn't so incredibly disturbing only because of
the incest
, it's also (or rather, even more importantly) because of
the deeply troubling adult/child relationship, him and someone he raised as a child
... there's a serious issue there, related or no. Oreimo doesn't have that. It just has stupid, idiotic anime
incest-loving
garbage plot design and writing.

Syrinx

Incest is one if those things I really never "got". Like...why would you genuinely want to see a brother/sister incestuous relationship, or any incestuous relationship for that matter? Who is the audience for this sort of thing? And how are there enough of them so that the writer actually decided to take it down this route?

Maybe the writer's trolling and I'm babbling about some fetish I just don't understand. But...just...why? Who wanted this for unironic reasons? Who didn't want this for the meltdowns, but actually, truly wanted this?

Chronoexe

No , trully there are some thing i like and dislike in this show ... and i'm perfectly aware of the flaws.. that's why i'm extra harsh on the obvious problems the show has.

There is more to her than hypnobutts.
A delicious heat period and a glorious sister

This list is incomplete .. let me fix that

Rias=Akeno=Grayfia> Kuroka >Sonia=Ravel=Koneko>Le Fay=Serafall=Xenovia=Irina=Kunou >Rossweisse = Coriana = Kiyome Abe > Griselda = Kuisha=Yubelluna > Isabela = Karlamine=Mira=Momo=reya=ruruko=siris=tomoe=tsubaki=tsubasa=xuelan > Ile and Nel

Yep this should be the correct ranking IMO

And yeah i love the series a lot ( read all the books several times )

You better have some serious reason why you disagree with my ranking.

Here are my reasons, where is Ophis, Elmenhilde and Gabriel??????????????

And Kuroka should be in the first place with the other three.

In my defence my list is still in progress.

I love the series too, the battle with Sairaorg is my favorite.

Dresden

Incest is one if those things I really never "got". Like...why would you genuinely want to see a brother/sister incestuous relationship, or any incestuous relationship for that matter? Who is the audience for this sort of thing? And how are there enough of them so that the writer actually decided to take it down this route?

Maybe the writer's trolling and I'm babbling about some fetish I just don't understand. But...just...why? Who wanted this for unironic reasons? Who didn't want this for the meltdowns, but actually, truly wanted this?

a fetish is a fetish

One part of the explanation is that a lot of [Japanese] people who like the incest fetish don't have siblings (remember, one of the lowest birthrates in the world), so, out of a lack of personal experience, they don't understand how utterly delusional the entire concept is.

I think Anime watchers like us would probably enjoy incest routes more if the sister isn't a terrible character.

I mean just look at Mikan in TLRD. People adore her and is willing to not throw her under a bus, but at the same time, it's not exactly about family bonding like Oreimo initially was.

On the other hand, it is a fantasy that people without sisters often dream of.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Incest is still a taboo and taboos are enticing.

"Interracial" used to be a fetish (and still is in some parts of America), but while racial barriers are breaking down, incest is still as vilified as ever.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Why not? The writer wanted to do something outside the norm, so he did. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

The way I had it explained to me once, and I think it makes sense, is that it's the "forbidden fruit". People find it appealing because it's "the love that cannot be", or something like that. I have siblings, but I don't mind incest endings in anime/manga. It's fiction, and it's not something I'm going to try to personally relate to.

One part of the explanation is that a lot of [Japanese] people who like the incest fetish don't have siblings (remember, one of the lowest birthrates in the world), so, out of a lack of personal experience, they don't understand how utterly delusional the entire concept is.

Yeah, this too. I can imagine a lot of the thought process is "Why try to find a girlfriend in the outside world when I already have a perfect girl living under the same roof?". Or something. But of course, in real life, anyone who actually has a sibling knows how ridiculous that thought process is.

Mature

This was the conclusion that I came to.

Jex

This seems as good a time as any to promote Koi Kaze:

koikaze1.jpg

“After his girlfriend dumps him for someone else, 27 year old Koshiro has a chance encounter in the subway with Nanoka, a 15-year-old high school girl. He later meets her again at the entrance of an amusement park and since he was just given two free tickets, he invites her to go with him. They immediately feel some connection, despite their age difference.

On leaving the park, they meet their father, leading them to realize that they are brother and sister. This startles them immensely, as they haven't seen each other since their parents got a divorce with split custody some 10 years ago.”

It's still the only good anime about this subject matter.

“Despite sounding like the setup for a hundred erotic anime, Koi Kaze is nothing of the sort. It’s a serious, well written show about forbidden love.”-Helen McCarthy.

If you can handle the subject matter, you should find this show rewarding.

Length: 13 episodes.

Dresden

not sure how reducing it down to 'japan has no kids lol' is an explanation, but okay. Having siblings doesn't mean they'll "understand how utterly delusional the entire concept is," it just means the object of their fetishistic desires may just be the concept of siblings detached from their actual blood relations, or they might actually just want to fuck their own sisters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Incest is still a taboo and taboos are enticing.

"Interracial" used to be a fetish (and still is in some parts of America), but while racial barriers are breaking down, incest is still as vilified as ever.
Are you still Seeking Asian Females?!

Averon

Did s1 really not have that stuff, or were you guys just seeing what you wanted to see?

I think we have our answer now.

I think there was enough vagueness in S1 that someone who didn't read the LNs could easily fool themselves into thinking incest won't be a major thing in the series. If you were a LN reader or watched the last few episodes of S2 and still thought incest played little/no role then, yeah, you were pretty deluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom