• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aiura

Okay, so these are supposed to be 4 minute shorts when in actual fact 1/4th of the whole episode is devoted to the intro which has Crabs and Steve Jobs in it.

Theonik

So Kayos joins DTL and Envelope in the AnimeGaf Bebop hating faction.
Envelaap isn't on the hate faction though.

When I was a teenager, my parents bought me a blind box Cowboy Bebop figurine at a book store because they knew I liked it, but when I opened it up and it was a Faye figurine, they forced me to flush it down the toilet because it was "slutty". Yeah...
You've shared this story before but it makes me cringe every time.

Truth. <(&#65507;&#65078;&#65507;)>

I should be upset, but it's only :kayos.
Should I call you Hixokage or Hixtokage now. Pick your new name!

I assume by the posts that Hix is not Hitokage's new nickname... Who's Hix then?
This guy
iqmm1092bkCuK.png

I'm just happy for Hito that someone is actually delivering.
Ended up showing family Wolf Children that night instead.

Hix was a shill? I'd have never guessed.
He was a shill for screen upscalers.

Laugh fap is something everyone must experience.
Tell me more.

This sounds like one of the greatest things ever.
image.php

I still remember the name of the video if that's what you want.
PM plz.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In regard to Cowboy Bebop being episodic, Big O's two seasons can give you a taste of what a show is like if it takes both a episodic and an over arching storyline approach.

CorvoSol

In regard to Cowboy Bebop being episodic, Big O's two seasons can give you a taste of what a show is like if it takes both a episodic and an over arching storyline approach.

Every single person should watch the Big O. It is the path to greatness.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Utena]
I'll pay closer attention just as soon as you explain to me how Ammonites describe both Saionji AND Miki. Cuz I can't get my brain around how ammonites apply to anything in this show, yet.
In the case of Saionji it's refering to datedness, or long bygone eras and frames of mind. In the case of Miki it's referring to the "spira mirabilis", aka the golden ratio of which you find plenty examples in nature. It highlights Miki's talent and reputation as prodigy while also giving commentary on how that which he longs for (ie his sister's music) is an extinct ideal.
Context is completely different...

http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/utena/rgusmg.htm
*shrug*
Oh I think there's plenty to analyse!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
[Utena]

In the case of Saionji it's refering to datedness, or long bygone eras and frames of mind. In the case of Miki it's referring to the "spira mirabilis", aka the golden ratio of which you find plenty examples in nature. It highlights Miki's talent and reputation as prodigy while also giving commentary on how that which he longs for (ie his sister's music) is an extinct ideal.
And this is why discussing Utena in the context of a thread is better than in PM.

*cough*

cajunator

Banned
I was depressed as shit last night which is rare for me so I havent been around.
Its better now. I missed yall.

I've never played the GC Fire Emblems. I've only played Fire Emblem 7, the one for the DS with terrible, horrible, awful face art, and Fire Emblem Awakening.

And I'm pretty sure I hated that Niacentric episode.

Ridget or Bellows. Leaning toward Ridget because she hasn't been shown to have feelings for Worst Guy Pinion.

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. I wanna see Hirano and Saeko kill more zambulies.

Kaname's way better than Tessa. Tessa doesn't even shine as a character to me until after the end of the anime.

Okay, just so I'm completely certain: Lord Stark never actually says "Brace Yourselves, Winter Is Coming" does he? Because I don't remember the Brace Yourselves bit and that's the part that seems to have caught on for some reason.

Sometimes I worry that if I watch too many bad anime I'm going to wind up like Novid. Speaking of, where is Novid? It's been too long since he posted.

Novid is banned, or at least he left. Either way we lost a national treasure :(

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 125

That was draining.
Hotaru's story touches on some of the parental issues that I thought were seriously missing from Chibi-Usa's tragedy at the end of R down right to our damsel in distress becoming a hot sexy villainess who in the end is obliterated by the power of love (and special effects sakuga). Professor Tomoe (?) is just a better suited character to elicit the kind of emotions that come with this type of plot than Usagi and Mamoru, whose parentage to Chibi-Usa was mostly played for the shock revelation and that's that.

I've been wanting a confrontation between the Outer and Inner Senshi for a long time, but the preview made it look like it was gonna be a budget episode with :wonzo faces. :( I hope it was just that one shot... Well, at least I got some sexy Neptune and Uranus. I feel bad about it, too!

So depressing... have some moé Hotaru instead!

:cajun

Yes hotaru is very cute. One day I may even get to the portion of the show where she shows up!

I like Accel World more as well, but that has more to do with it having a slight henshin hero element to it... and I'm a sucker for those.

I like it better because it doesnt have Kirito or Asuna, and instead has god tier characters like Kuroyukihime and Sky Raker and shape shifting toilets.

Sounds awesome, didn't know about this.

but traveling all the way to Paris sounds to hardcore for me,never been to anything anime related before.

edit:Sorry took a while to see that.

Seriously Time of eve looks & sounds like another one of those sad otaku wish fulfillment waifu things(my robot waifu can't be this kawaii).

Time of Eve isnt that kind of show.

Thighura 1-11

Good enough.

This is seriously the most ridiculously short series Ive ever seen.
It crams incredible cuteness into a couple minutes and then goes on its merry way.

When I was a teenager, my parents bought me a blind box Cowboy Bebop figurine at a book store because they knew I liked it, but when I opened it up and it was a Faye figurine, they forced me to flush it down the toilet because it was "slutty". Yeah...

You should revolted. I would have. That shit aint right!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 126
Seems like my fears about the bad art were justified. Rather, it was very stiff animation, which is very anticlimactic after the fabulous final confrontation. Those fifteen seconds of sakuga were great, though!

This season seems to be taking the long winding down route with the epilogue.
I'm sad that Haruka and Michiru are leaving for... who knows what. Outer Space? Are they gonna fulfill their duty to protect the Solar System from beyond the Asteroid Belt? As if. And goddammit, not the "babies* getting in the way of true love" route. Chibi-Usa-chan... :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Smile Precure 42

These villains are dumb as bricks. 42 episodes of having this line of attack be open and just now you think of doing it? Zoicite got on that shit the same day.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Smile Precure 42

These villains are dumb as bricks. 42 episodes of having this line of attack be open and just now you think of doing it? Zoicite got on that shit the next day.
The heroines are not any smarter. Wait until you see what the writers try to pass as drama in the next episode.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Smile Precure 42 (continued)

Oh bullshit.
You finally get to THAT moment in any double-life story and you just fucking handwaved it.
Fucking weak.

What's the point in even trying to keep it a secret when you get unlimited sleep and memory spells cast on your behalf.

Binbougami ga! 9-13 END

Well, it got a bit more standalone after a bit, but entered the whole deal of Momiji being clean, and Ichiko realizing that she needs crazy people to be at peace. Don't we all.

As for how well it did as an adaptation, it did pretty well actually. More than what I can say for some other ones like... Attack on Stillshots. No real filler or anything, and it made Nadeshiko more noticible. She was apparently in almost every chapter up until her real introduction, but she didn't "stick" out like she did here, probably because I became more aware, or there was a decision to make this more obvious. It never detracted from the anime though.

It's pretty over the top for what it is, considering breaking walls while jumping out into the air is the "norm" or at least it is for Ranmaru. Think I'll continue reading now from where I left off. And Jojo as well.

i'm currently reading the manga and you should love it. ( damn reveals )

I now want another season. Binbogami is awesome nonsense and great comedy.

K-On! 10-13

Another beach camp episode and it's inferior to the first one at that. This one was more akin to another of Azusa's research on the K-On! group and its varying members. Sadly for it, I had already been familiarized with them previously and there was little need for a recap on that front. Azusa's connections with the group on a whole feel superficial and overly observational. It's a notably weak episode for what it should have accomplished.

The entirety of episode 11 was simply an annoying drag.

Episode 12 is satisfactory . It has a gathering in the club room, a concert and even has more dress-up.

I'm completely puzzled by the notion that an episode handled Ritsu and didn't turn out completely terrible (like episode 11). Its focus on the group separated also made for much stronger direction than most of the previous episodes ever managed. It also had little-to-no obnoxiously awful background music. This was one of the best episodes of the whole series.

K-On! Special 14 [END]

Unfortunately, this episode has some of the weak tracks from prior episodes. Yet, it was still surprisingly good. The group meeting with other groups was a positive dynamic for the series to touch on. These past two episodes have managed periods of a tame tone yet have managed to be much less laborious to sit through while being more entertaining than the gags in 1-12.

Overall, the series constantly walks a thin, shaky line in quality. There are moments when the interactions and developments are worthy of enjoyment, but the more often weak and long-lasting periods with the group really test the nerves. Most of the conversing isn't executed in a meaningful or skilled manner either (even during character-focused episodes), making it an issue of execution as much as content.

The original soundtrack is also very poor and at times actively distracting. In a show even slightly revolving around music, I would expect that field to be handled with more care. Unfortunately for my ears, it is not the case. This aspect is something I noticed more on this repeat watch than in my initial viewing. The show itself is how I remembered it from those years ago. In perspective of Kyoto Animation, I don't enjoy it remotely to the degree of Nichijou or even Festival Arc Hyouka, but it's somewhat acceptable.
Everything in this posts tells me you would greatly appreciate the second season a lot more. More laid back and address some of the grievances you have.

I completely disagree with you on the soundtrack. It's amazing.
Ura-ON! 1-7

This existed.
Yeah, it's a thing.

I feel like a group of people needa voltron a picture into 4 or so separate avatars (head, chest, butt, thighs, legs etc).

Kinda like how some lewd japanese companies do Trophies on psn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom