• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new White Fox fantasy, fast food show was not that bad, had some nice backgrounds and fast food cooking sakuga.
I guess Titan and this are the only shows I will watch this season.

duckroll

Photo Kano seems pretty bad. The OP is terrible, and the first half of the episode so far isn't very interesting. It's also kinda lewd. And boring. Did I mention boring?

Dragoshi1

Straight Robot Anime is a fun short watch.

Do they adlib the 3rd segment of the episodes, when they choose a location and take turns using stuff from each location for things?

Fujii is the best, love her VA.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Ugh.. this look so ugly.

SfydsH9.jpg

Those are some lopsided breasts. :(

duckroll

Photo Kano - Episode 1

That was plain, cheap, and honestly just boring. It's exactly the sort of show you would expect from the premise of a late night anime adapted from a voyeuristic girl-game about photography. Yokoyama's visual contribution to the show seems to be mostly limited to a few select scenes which the budget allows for animation, while the majority of the show is filled with boring scenes and stills. It's also pretty lewd with a conscious and active focus on the use of the camera to fulfill perverted thoughts which highschool boys might have. Pretty insulting to the actual hobby.

tl;dr - There's nothing interesting here, it's a bad lewd show which perverts might enjoy but it's low budget and boring. Dropped.

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge 1

Now I remember what attracted me to this series in the first place. That nagging sense of something being "off" to go along with the bipolar tone of both light-hearted romance and oppressive darkness.

Also, next week it becomes a battle seinen. Should be fun.

Jex

Photo Kano - Episode 1

That was plain, cheap, and honestly just boring. It's exactly the sort of show you would expect from the premise of a late night anime adapted from a voyeuristic girl-game about photography. Yokoyama's visual contribution to the show seems to be mostly limited to a few select scenes which the budget allows for animation, while the majority of the show is filled with boring scenes and stills. It's also pretty lewd with a conscious and active focus on the use of the camera to fulfill perverted thoughts which highschool boys might have. Pretty insulting to the actual hobby.

tl;dr - There's nothing interesting here, it's a bad lewd show which perverts might enjoy but it's low budget and boring. Dropped.

You've sold it to roughly half this thread. Stop promoting it!

Photo Kano - Episode 1

I love bad shows that perverts like me might enjoy! Is there any of the Miyuki Sawashiro character in the first episode?

duckroll

Majestic Prince - Episode 1

That was a good but rather safe and predictable start to the show. It's very much what I expected from it, maybe a bit too by the books in some ways but it's a fairly standard opening episode which introduces the setting, lays out the basics and characters, and includes a major action sequence to show what the show has to offer.

Right off the bat I will say one thing which I know some people will probably disagree strongly with - Hirai's character designs absolutely work on the show. They're not cool designs nor are they good art, but he does have the ability to turn out a huge number of characters who look distinct and can be visually identified by the audience by their quirks. This is important because the show has a pretty large cast, and it helps to be able to make that connection early on. The other thing is that it's a pretty goofy show, so the characters all looking kinda dumb fits really well with the tone.

The CG action is really well done as we would expect from this being a major project for Orange. I think the action is well composed and uses the CG camera as would be expected for exciting looking action. The only downside is that similar to their work on Akito the Exiled, the CG explosions still look off. That's something they have to work on as they take on more of this sort of work I think, because they stand out from the rest of the visual composition.

Story-wise there isn't much to talk about at the moment. It's still very early on, but the comedy+action element works for me. The pace is pretty fast, and it doesn't waste time on drawn out stuff. The comedy feels a lot of a stand up stage production to me, where a lot of what makes the dialogue work is from the performance of the voice cast in delivering the lines. It doesn't rely on intant gags so much as setting a constant tone of lulz for most of the characters. We'll see how it progresses, but I like what it's doing.

Overall I'm just glad a show like this is even made at all. We have mecha shows every year, but most of them tend to be serious, and those who aren't tend to be over the top super robot stuff, or filled with perverted lewd jokes. It's nice to see someone actually produce a mecha show which is a mix of more "serious" shounen style action scenes and lighthearted character comedy about goofy characters while not in combat.

tl;dr - This was enjoyable, will keep watching.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Majestic Prince - Episode 1

That was a good but rather safe and predictable start to the show. It's very much what I expected from it, maybe a bit too by the books in some ways but it's a fairly standard opening episode which introduces the setting, lays out the basics and characters, and includes a major action sequence to show what the show has to offer.

Right off the bat I will say one thing which I know some people will probably disagree strongly with - Hirai's character designs absolutely work on the show. They're not cool designs nor are they good art, but he does have the ability to turn out a huge number of characters who look distinct and can be visually identified by the audience by their quirks. This is important because the show has a pretty large cast, and it helps to be able to make that connection early on. The other thing is that it's a pretty goofy show, so the characters all looking kinda dumb fits really well with the tone.

The CG action is really well done as we would expect from this being a major project for Orange. I think the action is well composed and uses the CG camera as would be expected for exciting looking action. The only downside is that similar to their work on Akito the Exiled, the CG explosions still look off. That's something they have to work on as they take on more of this sort of work I think, because they stand out from the rest of the visual composition.

Story-wise there isn't much to talk about at the moment. It's still very early on, but the comedy+action element works for me. The pace is pretty fast, and it doesn't waste time on drawn out stuff. The comedy feels a lot of a stand up stage production to me, where a lot of what makes the dialogue work is from the performance of the voice cast in delivering the lines. It doesn't rely on intant gags so much as setting a constant tone of lulz for most of the characters. We'll see how it progresses, but I like what it's doing.

Overall I'm just glad a show like this is even made at all. We have mecha shows every year, but most of them tend to be serious, and those who aren't tend to be over the top super robot stuff, or filled with perverted lewd jokes. It's nice to see someone actually produce a mecha show which is a mix of more "serious" shounen style action scenes and lighthearted character comedy about goofy characters while not in combat.

tl;dr - This was enjoyable, will keep watching.

I'm officially hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom