• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 20

So Sousuke is having PTSD from seeing his team slaughtered, and this isn't helped by having to fight Gauron again, especially not when
he KOs Mao.
Tessa also explains to Chidori about Resonance, and its dangers. It's like a psychic mind meld.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R] 050
SjZfkK3l.jpg
yfVBwkMl.jpg
9MzPxrUl.jpg
dat love triangle square/rectangle/rhombus, plus HD graphics. Remember when Virtual Reality was a thing? Oh right, Nintendo is still pushing that angle. Never mind!

Woah.
Tsukikagenonaito is not Mamoru? Shenanigans! I don't see who else it could be, though. Maybe Motoki? Alternatively, it's probably just Endymion separating from Mamoru due to weird memory deletion mumbo jumbo. He still sucks and can't properly fight a monster, though!

P.S. I want a Sneakers Shingo spin-off.
P.P.S. First season cameos are the new Goldfish Warning! cameos.
Well, you've certainly thought about this question before.
I actually made all of that shit up on the spot. I took a long nap and had nothing better to do at midnight.

jgminto

I had to stop because there's something wrong with my left 360 joystick, and I tend veer left while driving, making it incredibly hard to drive anywhere.

Yeah, it's one of those games that really accentuates the dead zones. All my controllers are total crap now so it happens in most games, but DP was the first it was that bad in.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Honestly, I didn't even know it was a real word until spellcheck.

I rely on that thing way too much.

No. I derped real hard. like... I wasn't even thinking when I read that. I read that as gent lest. Rather than gentle st. Fail. UGH. This is like that one time I read it bible as bib le rather than bi ble.

Articalys

I still don't understand what happened at the end of [C].

Show had a sweet OP/ED though.

Also, I'm starting to realize that Takahiro Sakurai is becoming another seiyuu I can recognize by voice, thanks mostly to Psycho-Pass.

Nekomonogatari

Cat story, this is about Hanekawa being possessed by a meddlecat during Golden Week and causing trouble, she attacks people to relieve her frustration and stress. The events occur before Bakemonogatari and Araragi is apparently 'interested' in the class rep. The show starts with love themes and gradually becomes darker but there is ecchi comedy and dialogue throughout the "film". Yes, flm. While its listed as a 4 episode show its best appreciated as a whole. Despite everything this show is good for, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought, Hanekawa nor the meddlecat were interesting, Senjougahara>every other female in the Monogatari series. Only Shinobu the cute little vampire girl comes close but she has a different kind of relation with Araragi, and yes she's in this chapter too. The dialogue is well written, the structure and plot build up are all fine, I can understand why people like it, but I can finally admit I'm not a fan of this kind of presentation. At the end it said there is a new show coming out this year, I'll watch that too, for completion's sake.

Final score 6/10

sonicmj1

Flowers of Evil 2

Pretty frustrating episode, the easy route would have so much trouble and not dragged out something so simple over 20+ minutes, ugh, Kasuga why. Worst yet the music tries to hype up events to make them feel like something major is happening and then what...nothing.

Nakumura is easily winning the award for best character in an ungood anime this season
So glad someone in this is taking initiative and moving things forward and has a good mind on their shoulders, the whole arranging event for Kasuga there and pushing him figuratively and literally to do things and even adding some suspense to him

DTL liking a female character more than a young male protagonist?

This truly is a special show.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
K-on!! 4 & 5

This was a really fun set of episodes. I loved how they showed what Ui/Azu-nyan/Jun did while the rest of the club was away on the field trip in Ep. 5. Show just keeps getting better. :D

Also, I'm not jman, etc etc.

Kazzy

K-on!! 4 & 5

This was a really fun set of episodes. I loved how they showed what Ui/Azu-nyan/Jun did while the rest of the club was away on the field trip in Ep. 5. Show just keeps getting better. :D

Jun is a complete scene-stealer!

Also like how she acts as an audience-surrogate, of sorts. It's fun to watch her get jealous over all of the light-music clubs shenanigans!

why gendo why

OH.MY.GOD!

Words, something, I don't know what to say. Terrifyingly amazing.

Jex

Gatchaman Crowds

Director: Kenji Nakamura
Series Composition/Script: Toshiya Ono
Original Character Design: Kinako
Animation Character Design: Yuichi Takahashi
Suits Design: Koji Nakakita
Animation Production: Tatsunoko Production

12 episode series. Summer 2013.

http://animeanime.jp/article/2013/04/16/13701.html
Well, at least Summer won't be entirely terrible.
I think it's a reference to some of the themes Nakamura wants to taken in the show. "Crowds" suggests density of humanity, and in the message from him about the show, he says that he wants to explore the themes of humanity being able to visualize our hearts on the internet, and the pros and cons of this future we are approaching. Even though we're able to visually express ourselves online, one person cannot hope to understand everything in the world, and it is impossible to specialize in everything and become an expert in all fields. He wants to see if it is possible for the visualization of our souls on the internet to lead to something good, perhaps to tackle this limitation of humanity.

It's kinda contrived in how he says it, but I get the feeling that he's trying to tell a story about the positive aspects of mass communication and "crowd sourcing" of thoughts and opinions on a social media level. If that makes sense I guess. I dunno.
And I thought it would be about girls.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Also, I know this is basically a common trope in SOL/CGDCT shows, but none of the characters in K-On! have parents, do they? :lol It just strikes me as funny that they've only explained the absence of Yui and Ui's parents once ("they're in Germany for Christmas!"), and then they're evidently never mentioned again. :lol

At least in Hidamari Sketch, there's a valid reason we don't see their parents. And we've actually seen Yuno's parents and Nazuna's parents, at the very least.

And in Nichijou we see Yukko's mother (and she's actually the source of some pretty funny moments), as well. Though I wonder if Yukko comes from a single parent household. Her father is never mentioned at all.

duckroll

I don't think it's a trope so much as a matter of smart economics. Why design and cast a bunch of characters in a show you don't have to? It seems like a pointless resource drain which doesn't add anything to the show.

Branduil

I don't think it's a trope so much as a matter of smart economics. Why design and cast a bunch of characters in a show you don't have to? It seems like a pointless resource drain which doesn't add anything to the show.

Well, I don't know that it adds nothing, I think it would add quite a bit of believability to a lot of stories. However, it would make writing more complicated, and since most of these shows are escapist fantasy crap there's no motivation to make it believable as opposed to convenient, LOL.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R] 051
Damn, how does he keep on doing this? He single-handedly saved Sailor Moon R from bad animation Toei filler. I'll buy all the toys you want to sell me, Ikuni. <3

Shots like this actually reminded me of Utena's "Tale of the Prince" segments at the beginning of each episode, albeit more comedic in nature, obviously. The entire scene with them eating under the cherry blossoms was delightful to watch. And of course, the levity at the beginning provides a contrast with just how serious everything got afterwards --all an excuse to give Sailor Moon a power-up and a new toy for little girls to ask their parents to buy for them, but good nonetheless.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Oh, you're absolutely right. It just detracts from the believability (which according to Chrome spellcheck is not a word...and neither is spellcheck) a little bit when Ui is waking Yui up every morning and making her breakfast and dinner and cleaning her room and basically just being a parent when she's only a first/second year high schooler, heh. Of course, like you said, there are absolutely valid reasons for this. It's just something I can't help but notice, is all. :lol

Articalys

Or to quote one of my favorite fourth-wall-breaking lines from TWEWY: "Why pour your soul into assets that get used all of... what, once?"

Jex

I don't get the feeling that's a serious limiting factor for someone like KyoAni, who put far too much work into details and designs that only appear once, or that only play a part in the background of a shot. They love pouring resources down the drain, metaphorically speaking, because the talent over there clearly just loves to create and design things.

Kids just don't tend to have active parents in anime, unless there's a comedy elements where the kids getting in trouble or the dad is wacky, etc etc.

Branduil

Or to quote one of my favorite fourth-wall-breaking lines from TWEWY: "Why pour your soul into assets that get used all of... what, once?"

That's why Studio Pablo now has contractual requirements to use all of their background art at least three times per episode.

Fuck, I'm not convinced parents actually exist in real life! They only call/show up when they think we did a bad job of raising their kids for them. o_o

I kid of course. That's only 75% of them! =)

duckroll

I don't get the feeling that's a serious limiting factor for someone like KyoAni, who put far too much work into details and designs that only appear once, or that only play a part in the background of a shot. They love pouring resources down the drain, metaphorically speaking, because the talent over there clearly just loves to create and design things.

Kids just don't tend to have active parents in anime, unless there's a comedy elements where the kids getting in trouble or the dad is wacky, etc etc.

It's a limiting factor because ultimately a show still has a budget. For every adult character they design, that's one less moeblob they could be designing for that time investment. Why waste that time on adults when they can be spent on various background characters who are more appealing to the audience anyway? That's what I'm saying.

When adult characters actually have a contribution to the story, they do exist. Like in the case of Tamako. Otherwise, it's really unimportant and literally a waste of money!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The budget for Sailor Moon visibly increases each season, despite continued inconsistencies. Sailor Moon S looks pretty great.
While that is true that doesn't explain why the past four episodes looked like crap. So I'll side with my Mr. Ikuhara is the Messiah theory for now!

Branduil

It's a limiting factor because ultimately a show still has a budget. For every adult character they design, that's one less moeblob they could be designing for that time investment. Why waste that time on adults when they can be spent on various background characters who are more appealing to the audience anyway? That's what I'm saying.

When adult characters actually have a contribution to the story, they do exist. Like in the case of Tamako. Otherwise, it's really unimportant and literally a waste of money!

Well, you could say that about KyoAni itself. Why do they spend so much money on their productions when you can just cheap out like SHAFT and still sell boatloads?

Jex

Are KyoAni that cut throat of a studio? I mean, they clearly have some idea of which properties to exploit and which to lay fallow that I never got the feeling that they were that cost conscious. I feel like if there was an interesting or logical reason to have parents appear in a work, they would appear (and they do, from time to time).

Plus, how hard would it to be design a mother for one of the girls? Take the KyoAni face, slap it on a slightly taller body with creepy child hands and give her a slightly different hairstyle. Done.

Articalys

CD Single Sales April 8-14
*2, 48,720 48,720 AKB0048 Next Stage OP & ED "Kono Namida wo Kimi ni Sasagu"
*3, 28,360 28,360 Uta no Prince-sama Maji LOVE 2000% OP "Kanon"
19, *3,006 20,201 Love Live! School Idol Project insert song "No brand girls / Start:Dash!!"
47, *1,213 22,709 MS Gundam UC vol.6 theme song "RE: I AM EP"
48, *1,058 19,022 Dokidoki! Precure OP & ED "Happy Go Lucky! Dokidoki Precure / Kono Sora no Mukou"

Virtually nothing new was released on the BD/DVD side of things last week, so to hell with that stuff.

Jex

That's why Studio Pablo now has contractual requirements to use all of their background art at least three times per episode.

Of course that actually makes perfect sense in the case of something like Aku no Hana where the characters will retread the same locations are part of their normal routine.

duckroll

Well, you could say that about KyoAni itself. Why do they spend so much money on their productions when you can just cheap out like SHAFT and still sell boatloads?

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say here. It's not a matter of production value but getting the most out of a production. Parents who have no bearing on the plot or visual eye candy for the target audience is not worth considering at all. Any resources wasted on irrelevant parents could instead be funneled into making everything else better, or drawing another 3 background girls in Scene 43.

Branduil

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say here. It's not a matter of production value but getting the most out of a production. Parents who have no bearing on the plot or visual eye candy for the target audience is not worth considering at all. Any resources wasted on irrelevant parents could instead be funneled into making everything else better, or drawing another 3 background girls in Scene 43.

No, I understand what you're saying. My problem is the "parents who have no bearing on the plot." Everyone who's been a kid, which I have to assume is everyone here, knows parents have a huge effect on the "plot" of your life, LOL. It's a problem of believability in writing, not production priorities.

duckroll

No, I understand what you're saying. My problem is the "parents who have no bearing on the plot." Everyone who's been a kid, which I have to assume is everyone here, knows parents have a huge effect on the "plot" of your life, LOL. It's a problem of believability in writing, not production priorities.

K-On is not a show about the plot of anyone's life. It's about cute girls doing cute things. That usually doesn't involve parents... at all.

Gundam was my mother, war was my father.

Gundam AGE had characters who had parents, and who became parents, etc. Look how that turned out. Let's hope they never do it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom