• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
With all of the people recently going through School Days for the first time here, I thought since I'd waited this long I might as well finally start it too. So HERE I GO:

School Days 1 - Confession
From the get-go, this episode had quite a few instances of awkward transitions. They were mostly fade outs but they didn't flow well. And that glass breaking opening title effect, oh man.
I did like the scenes in both episodes where Makoto and Sekai were passing notes to each other. It's nice to know that Makoto can at least be somewhat assertive when he wants to as well. Although, I kept thinking that he shouldn't even touch the tea that Kotonoha made after eating all of her awful sandwiches. She could have messed something up with that pouring tea! You never know!

Then comes the scene when Sekai sneaks in a kiss and that's when you know shit's gonna get real. If I didn't already kinda know what happens at the end of this wild journey, I would have said that romance tropes would take over and Sekai, the overly helpful friend, would be the true winner of da School Days.

School Days 2 - Distance Between the Two

I like that a lot of this episode is from the perspective of a "couple" going through their first dates no matter how bumbling they actually are together. I can't say it's a very common thing to show a relationship like this in anime which is why it feels pretty refreshing. I'm a sucker for stuff like this so the more the merrier!

This show really presents Kotonoha as such a naive, innocent girl in these first two episodes that I'm eager to see where it goes from here. On the opposite spectrum, Sekai is becoming quite the frisky girl!
Good to see more people check out this incredible series. Don't forget to post your opinions in the OT!

jgminto

With all of the people recently going through School Days for the first time here, I thought since I'd waited this long I might as well finally start it too. So HERE I GO:

School Days 1 - Confession
From the get-go, this episode had quite a few instances of awkward transitions. They were mostly fade outs but they didn't flow well. And that glass breaking opening title effect, oh man.
I did like the scenes in both episodes where Makoto and Sekai were passing notes to each other. It's nice to know that Makoto can at least be somewhat assertive when he wants to as well. Although, I kept thinking that he shouldn't even touch the tea that Kotonoha made after eating all of her awful sandwiches. She could have messed something up with that pouring tea! You never know!

Then comes the scene when Sekai sneaks in a kiss and that's when you know shit's gonna get real. If I didn't already kinda know what happens at the end of this wild journey, I would have said that romance tropes would take over and Sekai, the overly helpful friend, would be the true winner of da School Days.

School Days 2 - Distance Between the Two

I like that a lot of this episode is from the perspective of a "couple" going through their first dates no matter how bumbling they actually are together. I can't say it's a very common thing to show a relationship like this in anime which is why it feels pretty refreshing. I'm a sucker for stuff like this so the more the merrier!

This show really presents Kotonoha as such a naive, innocent girl in these first two episodes that I'm eager to see where it goes from here. On the opposite spectrum, Sekai is becoming quite the frisky girl!
Awesomeness!
Good to see more people check out this incredible series. Don't forget to post your opinions in the OT!

I see you're doing my job for me. Sweet!

Jex

so... the Aku no Hana BDs are delayed because the studio wants to improve the animation quality.
Can't wait to see the TV vs. BD comparisons.

That's encouraging, I suppose, but they'd have to do a hell of a lot of work to make them acceptable. Interesting.

sleepykyo

The current integration of social media in anime seems pretty heavy handed. Watching the protagonist(s) get pummeled loses a lot of impact when the chat goes "wwwwwwwwwwwww".

Jex

[EVA 3.33]

So, the
Neo Nautilus theme? Gotta admit that's hype.

Yeah, it sure is. They even do a shot for shot match up to original series, I checked because I'm a nerd. Too bad it looks worse than a 90's TV show for children.

Infinitely worse.

wonzo

Banned
so... the Aku no Hana BDs are delayed because the studio wants to improve the animation quality.
Can't wait to see the TV vs. BD comparisons.
i guess they'll fix up the static background characters and the face pop-in.

<<<< rip

The current integration of social media in anime seems pretty heavy handed. Watching the protagonist(s) get pummeled loses a lot of impact when the chat goes "wwwwwwwwwwwww".
it's even worse seeing this shit pop up in actual series because the writers actually think it's actually funny. Shit's about as dumb as all the internet memes you find in indie games.

"hay guise look it's taht internet meme you laughed at lolz get it?????"

zeroshiki

Look at the bright side, we'll have a new battleship to play as in the next SRW!! Too bad it'll only have like 3 pilots and we only recognize 2 of them.

jgminto

I think I'll start FMA BroHo soon. I was going to watch it as soon as I finished the original, but that was before I knew how it related to the original. What a nut shot that was.

Also, is the version of Blood-C on Funi's site uncensored?

That's not Guacamelee.
ee5.jpg

zeroshiki

I use it if 3 of crew can hit 200 SP.

200 SP and none of it is support! You get all the offensive stuff and since the main is Misato, she has hot blooded!

This is like how Lacus has the SEED ability as the main of Eternal except that SEED is absolutely useless for a battleship.

I'm not a huge fan of battleships anyway. My plan for the two games I've played in the series anyway has just been: Send Arbalest forward and let him grind meat.

Shin Getter Dragon in Z2-2 is the greatest battleship ever. Its basically a 3L Getter Robo. Being able to load and unload units is a bonus.

fertygo

200 SP and none of it is support! You get all the offensive stuff and since the main is Misato, she has hot blooded!

This is like how Lacus has the SEED ability as the main of Eternal except that SEED is absolutely useless for a battleship.

But those persona-esque eye image man..

Its looked pretty cool when all the SEED guy got it together

J-Der still my favorite battleship.

CorvoSol

Shin Getter Dragon in Z2-2 is the greatest battleship ever. Its basically a 3L Getter Robo. Being able to load and unload units is a bonus.

I still have to play the Z games. Waiting till I'm done replaying W.

But those persona-esque eye image man..

Its looked pretty cool when all the SEED guy got it together

J-Der still my favorite battleship.

Yeah, I mostly liked the way it made her look. My favorite Battleship is still the Nadesico, though. I just wish you could keep the TDD-1. Not much use for a submarine in space, though, I guess.

Betterman 7

Ugh, Keita really kinda ruins the show. I mean, the show sorta is really scary and stuff, but Keita is such a wacky, oddball character that he just clashes horribly with the show. I dunno, he just DOES. Anyway, the rest of this was some interesting back-story involving Hinoki's family. Apparently, the Christmas hair is hereditary.

sleepykyo

Are you watching anime on Nico? You should turn that shitty "feature" off.

I'm not watching on nico. It is actually part of the universe in at least two shows. Valvrave has twitter in it and Majestic Prince has niconico. I'm watching both on crunchyroll peasant (and real transcription hasn't been added yet).

CorvoSol

Vision of Escaflowne 6

LOL DOLPHIN MAN OH MY GOSH OH MY SIDES I CAN'T BREATHE. DOLPHIN. MAN. DOLPHIN RAPE CAVES MAN. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOOOL.

A DOLPHIN MAN. AND A CD PLAYER THAT INDUCES ACID TRIPS. AND THE MOST RIDICULOUSLY CRAZY LONG PHALLIC FAILED SNIPING ATTEMPT.

Oh my word this show. THIS SHOW.

Why was I subjected to an upskirt of Merl? Now I know she doesn't wear anything under that smock.

I know you're trolling and all but man I hate how K-ON became the gold standard of SoL. In a perfect world people would compare SoL shows to Azumanga Daioh or Nichijou.

Because K-ON! is better than both of those shows.

And a lot of people still do point to Azumanga as one of if not the pinnacle of Slice of Life shows.

CorvoSol

Code Geass 3

Sexy gratuitous teenagers in a showah! How old was the target audience of this show again? Nvm I just remembered all that fanservice in GGG. Still wasn't as good as Char in Garma's shower. Nothing will ever be that good.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, I cannot stand the English VA for Lelouch's little sister. Like seriously, it sounds like JYB is pinching his nose and doing the voice acting himself. It's just terrible in a way I hadn't expected this cast to be. Also, you cannot expect me to believe that the Japanese have a trademark on PINKY SWEARS. I mean yeah, how cool that the maid taught blind girl about origami, but now meido is spinnin' lies about PINKY SWEARS. Errybody knows Jesus invented the pinky swurr.

Also, love triangles. Blah. And Lelouch is straight up squandering his usage of the brain power. Thing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Do Good CGI Animation]

I liked it more than I hated it, but I don't know if that's because of its strengths as a film or because Anno and co. are doing new stuff with the material.

zeroshiki

Yubikiri, in the way they do it in the show, is very Japanese.

Also, experiencing Geass without the awesomeness of Fukuyama Jun should be a crime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Zero you were supposed to warn us about 3.33 being shit.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT

sleepykyo

Code Geass 3

Sexy gratuitous teenagers in a showah! How old was the target audience of this show again? Nvm I just remembered all that fanservice in GGG. Still wasn't as good as Char in Garma's shower. Nothing will ever be that good.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, I cannot stand the English VA for Lelouch's little sister. Like seriously, it sounds like JYB is pinching his nose and doing the voice acting himself. It's just terrible in a way I hadn't expected this cast to be. Also, you cannot expect me to believe that the Japanese have a trademark on PINKY SWEARS. I mean yeah, how cool that the maid taught blind girl about origami, but now meido is spinnin' lies about PINKY SWEARS. Errybody knows Jesus invented the pinky swurr.

Also, love triangles. Blah. And Lelouch is straight up squandering his usage of the brain power. Thing.

I believe the first season was in the late spot. Don't worry, the second season gets moved to afterschool/evening slot. Then you'll get different list of complaints.

On a tangent, I liked S1 better and barely remember S2. Keep dialing that crazy up and eventually the audience just stops responding.

edit:

I'd settle for Azumanga or Honey&Clover being the pinnacle of SoL.

Dresden

I can identify three good things about Eva 3.33:

Touji's little sister. So moe.

That ten or so minutes of interlude in between Shinji's "rescue" and his meeting, and playing a duet, with Kaworu. It's a somber, introspective sequence that takes advantage of old motifs for more than just fanfiction wank. There's also a nice scene with Rei. Mmm, Rei.

Kaworu is an empty, meaningless shell of a character like everyone else in the movie, but at least the way he died was cool.

Otherwise it's all bad.

So bad.

zeroshiki

I've actually grown to hate 3.33 more and more as I get further away from it. Just thinking about it makes me upset now. Usually with bad events in shows, I learn to forget and just focus on the positives as time goes by. Nowadays the only thing that comes to mind when I think of Eva 3.33 is Anno ruining my memories of Eva forever.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I agree with Dresden in that 3.33 would've worked better as a post apocalyptic harem drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom