• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
That pretty much sums it I up. I was referring to the epilogue episode though. It's rare to get one as good as that one is.

One OVA pretty much works as a nice epilogue to the main story. The other is a must watch if you plan to watch the kind-of/sort-of sequel, Steins;Gate 0, when it comes out.

Okay, I'll be sure to watch them. I see there's also a movie - is it just a compilation or actual new content?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Did Kiritobread ever take a look at or avoid Yosuga no Sora?

This show has everything wrong you would want in an anime. I'm glad this exists because nothing has made me more furious than this show and has set the bar so low that I expect nothing but depravity out of mankind.

Wow, I was looking some stuff up for a Mid Season Review for Grimoire of Zero and we are moving slow compared to other Light Novel adaptations. 6 episodes in and it's still just adapting the first volume. I feel like that's really allowed the story to breath, but it's going to be a real shame if it doesn't get additional seasons.

caliph95

YUU☆YUU☆HAKUSHO Ep 1-6
It's decent so far but knowing HxH and Togashi it will probably get better.

It's weird people aren't more weirded out that as far as they were concerned Yusuke was dead and is suddenly walking around again and ware way too casual about it

Szadek

Grimoire of Zero - Ep. 3
Sorry, but Kanbaru is the only one who can get away with the sex slave line.
The fan servies moment was annoying, but it at least made sense in character.
Other it was a cute shopping episode.
The fight at the end was meh.

So with the manga ending soon I felt like restarting Fairy Tail.

Fairy Tail 175-178

I gotta say Natsu is easily one of my favorite protagonist and man if that battle against Sting and Rogue is making it even more true. He is so cool
(hot)
. That smile too. 10/10. Todd Haberkon just bring the character to life, the dub is really the only way to watch fairy tail.

Also the folkloric soundtrack this show has is just so top tier and fitting. Easily one of the most recognizable ost in anime with how associable it is with the show.

Also damn if fairy tail is good to play with my emotions lol.

YUU☆YUU☆HAKUSHO Ep 1-6
It's decent so far but knowing HxH and Togashi it will probably get better.

It's weird people aren't more weirded out that as far as they were concerned Yusuke was dead and is suddenly walking around again and ware way too casual about it

I just want to tell you that you have the greatest jojo character as your avatar and that you're a good person for it.

caliph95

I just want to tell you that you have the greatest jojo character as your avatar and that you're a good person for it.
Code:
[IMG]https://38.media.tumblr.com/5bffd4f4b7724877cdb29a63e70b2eac/tumblr_mk4ajwXZfN1r1sj6oo1_500.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcml3q3Hve1qa5504o1_500.gif[/IMG]

blurr

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar 11-12 END

These last couple of episodes were pretty decent on grounds of the dungeon crawling aspect - the abilities they've gained/used contributed to the story progression sensibly. One of them even ties with the character arc really well, Mary's attempts dispel her old team mates was moving in the way she performed and the way it folded out. Something like that would've been nice to see happen more often in the previous episodes.

Grimgar is a bit of a difficult show to get into but I'm glad I did. I took my time getting through it but there's a pretty compelling character drama going on which at times even left me surprised, there are however aspects that detracts it from the tone and the mood which it could've done without. I'm not exactly a fan of its setting either, it's not something I would describe as very imaginative for a fantasy theme. It feels very vanilla, granted it's not what the show is about but the sterility towards the world around them beyond their work/necessities works better for a videogame where progress is necessary for story telling than a TV show which has more potential to invoke fanscination towards a world. More so, with its water color style background work. Heck even games can do pretty fine job at invoking fascination towards worlds without the cost of interfering with story progress.

r_ZEn8cn.png

What if the Goblins were the real heroes all along?

Kickz

Yep, the first episode and some others had way too hectic pacing where you couldn't catch your breath to process what the hell just happened.

Definitely how it was in this ep, the part with Sango's little brother could've been its own episode alone. Still was surprisingly good, like they never missed a beat from the original run

Just T

Uchouten Kazoku 2: 6

Pretty good episode and those eerie designs. Kaisei skills be on point, she be all over the place and quickly too. Benten in a better mood than expected and seemed actually surprised Yasaburo was there, who stayed pretty composed for the most part given the situation. Soun being the back in the mix is something and he's as messed up as ever. Yasaburo has a lot of stuff to keep track of.

Little Witch Academia TV 19

Goddamn could they have made Diana's Aunt being evil any more obvious? She shows up and a snake crawls up her dress and when she leaves she turns into a shade with red eyes? Couldn't have thrown in a shot of the Last Supper before her betrayal to really sell it? Or have her talk about how Judas was actually the good guy?

Yeah, I think I'm out.

After such a strong start, this show has done nothing but find ways to aggrivate me, but this latest episode was the last straw. For what seemed like such a fascinating premise for a light novel (last man on earth looks after child soldiers fighting off monsters of the apocalypse that attack the few remaining floating islands in the sky), it's incredible how quickly it devolves into just following stereotypical light novel trends.

OF COURSE he has the knowledge that will help the soldiers he cares for turn the tide of their hopeless battle.

OF COURSE his relationship with the main female character can't decide if he should be father or lover, so why not both?

OF COURSE
anyone and anything tied to Willem's past has come back in the present to be integral to the plot as if Willem's the missing puzzle piece that completes the universe instead of maybe the more interesting idea that he could turn the female lead into the hero who saves the day, but who would want a story like that
am I right?

Man, what a waste of such a good premise... how has Akashic Records now become the best LN adaptation of the season?

Yeah, I think I'm out.

After such a strong start, this show has done nothing but find ways to aggrivate me, but this latest episode was the last straw. For what seemed like such a fascinating premise for a light novel (last man on earth looks after child soldiers fighting off monsters of the apocalypse that attack the few remaining floating islands in the sky), it's incredible how quickly it devolves into just following stereotypical light novel trends.

OF COURSE he has the knowledge that will help the soldiers he cares for turn the tide of their hopeless battle.

OF COURSE his relationship with the main female character can't decide if he should be father or lover, so why not both?

OF COURSE
anyone and anything tied to Willem's past has come back in the present to be integral to the plot as if Willem's the missing puzzle piece that completes the universe instead of maybe the more interesting idea that he could turn the female lead into the hero who saves the day, but who would want a story like that
am I right?

Man, what a waste of such a good premise... how has Akashic Records now become the best LN adaptation of the season?

I agree that WorldEnd has fallen off the rails, but I actually think Grimoire of Zero is the best light novel adaptation this season.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Thinking anything called SukaSuka would be good was your first mistake.

All this guardian 2 praise actually got me interested in it. Marvel and DC movies have a hard time doing superheroes right.

I need to watch Logan too.

I agree that WorldEnd has fallen off the rails, but I actually think Grimoire of Zero is the best light novel adaptation this season.
I tried getting into Grimoire of Zero, but despite the excellent world building, I couldn't buy the reasoning behind why they decide to travel together in the first place (
why should the Mercenary take Zero's word that she can do what she promises, especially in episode one where not 10 minutes earlier it's made incredibly clear how much more valuable they are to each other dead than alive
). Their relationship felt off to me from episode one, which is why I dropped it a while back. I think it's just poor direction of this adapation, but I might give the LN a try since I think there's still promise here.

Akashic Records isn't great, but at least it's doing what it set out to do competantly, even if it doesn't reach the heights certain parts of other LN adaptations seem to have reached this season.

I tried getting into Grimoire of Zero, but despite the excellent world building, I couldn't buy the reasoning behind why they decide to travel together in the first place (
why should the Mercenary take Zero's word that she can do what she promises, especially in episode one where not 10 minutes earlier it's made incredibly clear how much more valuable they are to each other dead than alive
). Their relationship felt off to me from episode one, which is why I dropped it a while back. I think it's just poor direction of this adapation, but I might give the LN a try since I think there's still promise here.

Akashic Records isn't great, but at least it's doing what it set out to do competantly, even if it doesn't reach the heights certain parts of other LN adaptations seem to have reached this season.

I don't know that the LN would be all that different from the anime. Based on what I could find the anime is very close to a 1:1 adaptation (at least more so than others). I didn't have your issue with it, but I don't think based on what I've found that the LN would be any different.

My big issue with Akashic is that it just speeds through everything like it's way more concerned with squeezing as much content in than making sure any of it breaths.

Ascheroth

Honestly, I feel like Grimoire of Zero is super bland and has some really shitty writing at points. The only thing it has going for it is good pacing.
Certainly behind Bastard Teacher and SukaSuka even if they have their own share of problems.

Still liking SukaSuka best from all the LN adaptions this season, fite me!

Bastard Teacher 07

Re=L is hilarious. Mandatory swimsuit episode ahoy. Though this episode definitely needed more breathing room.

Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? aka What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? aka SukaSuka 06

Backstory! Worldbuilding! Former companions! Fucked up factor+1!
Some nice action! Creepy visions! Tragedy fakeout! This episode had it all.
I'm not a fan of the real romance they're seemingly pushing, so I'll just keep deluding myself believing it's one-sided and Willem just cares about her in a totally platonic way.

Honestly, I feel like Grimoire of Zero is super bland and has some really shitty writing at points. The only thing it has going for it is good pacing.
Certainly behind Bastard Teacher and SukaSuka even if they have their own share of problems.

*shrug* guess I'm the odd one out again. What else is new.

JulianImp

Yeah, I think I'm out.

OF COURSE
am I right?

God, that sounds like quite the trainwreck... I absolutely despise showse whose MC is constantly shoved in our face as if he was the only one able to move the plot forward, since that kind of writing robs the rest of the cast of any chance to shine unless the MC is involved in some way.

And all this reminds me of the latest episode of Tsuki ga Kirei, where the boy's called up to a meeting at not-Kadowaka's offices, only to be told they'd rather have him write light novels instead of regular boring novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom