• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

tumblr_m4fz9rHMKr1rqqlp4o1_500.gif

And....

tumblr_mg0glz4HAn1ruo577o3_500.gif

It was pretty interesting at first, but then you realized you were watching a mystery with six or so named characters in it, where only two were adults and one of them was the MC's mom, who (early spoilers)
gets killed in the future fairly early on in the show
, making it obvious who the perp could've been (barring an overly outlandish plot twist such as Kado's). Then yeah, there was that later arc which was just underwhelming as hell and helped end things on a rather sour note.

Satoru's mom was definitely one of the better ones in anime and there were many heartwarming moments along the way, but I think the show was built upon a very filmsy premise, which led to the show collapsing upon itself regardless of the good elements it might've had. The final episodes even had a freaking
exposition dump to explain the perp's motivation
, as if the show felt like it had to give us that to give us a decent climax, but I don't think that was required at all and merely ended up disrupting the flow of the plot with things that didn't matter all that much...

Then there was the whole thing about shipping and complaints, which was pretty weird IMO, both from the plot and the viewers' part.

Yep, that's exactly how I feel. The premise very much kind of knee-caps the plot, especially since
A1 was also not very subtle in their direction over who the killer was.

phaze

Looks really good! Never been a fan of Akio Watanabe's character designs however but that's minor if the film itself is good, nevertheless a bitter taste enters my mouth whenever I see them.

You're not living your life correctly friend.

I mean... I will also start that...whenever work decides I can have a day off.

Don't enable him !

_______

Is Boruto taking a break of sorts or is it going to be a long running show just like its predecessor ?

Devil is a Part-Timer had a BD average of 11,802. That's not just reasonably well, that's extremely good. That's mostly better than probably 80 to 90% of shows that release nowadays. I understand BD sales are not the only factor but it then you have the LN sales that got a noticeable boost too. It was selling closer to 20k and now does around 70-90k. By all measures the show was a success.

If the old production committee isn't profiting then you make a new one. That's not unheard of.

Its BD sales are better than those of ~95% of currently releasing shows, yes, but then that 95% are not making a profit on BDs. I agree that by the numbers we have to measure success the anime was a success, just pointing out that there are all kind of business realities behind the scenes that we may not be aware of. An example I am aware of is that Horizon to the Middle of Nowhere did not receive a third season despite very good BD sales because Sunrise's contract for the series meant they didn't receive much of any return on their investment and so didn't want to continue animating it. Another example would be Attack on Titan not receiving a second season for a number of years since Araki and Wit were already busy on other projects by the time the producers wanted them to continue, and thus they had to wait a while to continue the anime. Of course, in the case of an adaptation the publisher who owns the IP could replace the animation studio to continue animating the work if the original studio is unwilling or unable to continue. Still, they may decide that changing studios would lead to a result they'd be unhappy with, or that they've already received the maximum amount of promotional benefit an anime would provide and any further seasons would be superfluous from their perspective.

Fundamentally, I think the easy availability of Oricon numbers needs to be treated with caution by anime fans trying to analyze whether an anime has been successful enough to continue or not. Having numbers at our fingertips can lead us to think we know the full picture when we do not.

LotusHD

Banned
So I am three episodes into ERASED... on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad am I going to feel once I get to the end of this?

Erased is my recent big example of how a show really needs to learn how to stick the ending. Soured me on the whole thing with those last 3 episodes.

Jarmel

Banned
Its BD sales are better than those of ~95% of currently releasing shows, yes, but then that 95% are not making a profit on BDs. I agree that by the numbers we have to measure success the anime was a success, just pointing out that there are all kind of business realities behind the scenes that we may not be aware of. An example I am aware of is that Horizon to the Middle of Nowhere did not receive a third season despite very good BD sales because Sunrise's contract for the series meant they didn't receive much of any return on their investment and so didn't want to continue animating it. Another example would be Attack on Titan not receiving a second season for a number of years since Araki and Wit were already busy on other projects by the time the producers wanted them to continue, and thus they had to wait a while to continue the anime. Of course, in the case of an adaptation the publisher who owns the IP could replace the animation studio to continue animating the work if the original studio is unwilling or unable to continue. Still, they may decide that changing studios would lead to a result they'd be unhappy with, or that they've already received the maximum amount of promotional benefit an anime would provide and any further seasons would be superfluous from their perspective.

Fundamentally, I think the easy availability of Oricon numbers needs to be treated with caution by anime fans trying to analyze whether an anime has been successful enough to continue or not. Having numbers at our fingertips can lead us to think we know the full picture when we do not.

Of course there are all sorts of reasons why shows are and aren't made. Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer couldn't get the Pillows to sign off and fell through the cracks. However the reason cited in the article is financial and not something like the studio is currently busy as with Wit. I'm finding it hard to believe that reason in particular since it's doing better than almost all of its contemporaries, some of which such as Konosuba ended up getting a second season later. It's not like it's an idol platform such as Symphogeah where the music sales take a priority so I'm not even sure which other metric we could consider.

Tonton

Oh, I am well aware, heh.

I’m with you, though, my ratings scale has only two possible values: “This is fine” or “I love this, this is the best thing ever”

Idk, i'm fairly positive myself, my anime list probably has more 8s and 9s than anything else

Erased is a show that has me rather salty because I actually liked the start a lot but then it went to shit but I still rate it as a 6 specially because of the earlier episodes

Of course there are all sorts of reasons why shows are and aren't made. Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer couldn't get the Pillows to sign off and fell through the cracks. However the reason cited in the article is financial and not something like the studio is currently busy as with Wit. I'm finding it hard to believe that reason in particular since it's doing better than almost all of its contemporaries, some of which such as Konosuba ended up getting a second season later. It's not like it's an idol platform such as Symphogeah where the music sales take a priority so I'm not even sure which other metric we could consider.

What Wagahara says, as quoted in the ANN article, is "Even if original creators say they want to make anime, that doesn't mean they will be able to. No matter how much you push the original creators, they can't make anime. Anime is also a business." He's saying he can't make an anime happen just out of his own personal desire; anime is a business that requires the involvement of many companies and people. I don't think he's specific enough here to identify any particular reason as to why a second season has not been made.

Jarmel

Banned
What Wagahara says, as quoted in the ANN article, is "Even if original creators say they want to make anime, that doesn't mean they will be able to. No matter how much you push the original creators, they can't make anime. Anime is also a business." He's saying he can't make an anime happen just out of his own personal desire; anime is a business that requires the involvement of many companies and people. I don't think he's specific enough here to identify any particular reason as to why a second season has not been made.
Usually when people cite "____ is a business" that means said thing isn't making money and this isn't a charity.

JulianImp

I tend to give some more leeway to seasonal stuff when recommending shows, but when it comes to older series I'm not really going to recommend them to anyone unless they stood out to me or they fit a very specific niche someone's asking for.

It's part of the reason why I might watch seasonal trash, but tend to veer away from watching older shows like that. If, for example, someone asks for a mystery show, I'm much more likely to mention Mouryou no Hako or Higurashi over Erased (unless the poster has already watched those, of course), in the same way I really appreciated people recommending Seirei no Moribito to me when I asked for a character-centric show, rather than some other mediocre series.

My way of thinking is that if someone asks for an older show, I'd rather point them to shows I really liked in that style or genre rather than recommending that they keep watching a decent but still comparatively mediocre show (such as Erased, in this case). Erased did a couple things right (such as Satoru bonding with the girl, and his mom also rocked), but it ultimately failed to me as the mystery show it set itself up to be, with an obvious culprit, a motive that had to be explained through an exposition dump to make any sense, and a pretty filmsy theme that the show forced a bit too much by the end, resulting in an underwhelming climax and payoff. I was okay with watching it and enjoyed it back then, but I seriously wouldn't recommend anyone to spend the time watching it over several other mystery shows or drama series that I think are better than it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Heh. That guy who went to 700 idol shows in 1 year...

And that older guy who quit seeing his girlfriend to go see idols instead.

*Gets to part about Harajuku Monogatari*

Well, it's kinda creepy, but not THAT bad...

*Gets to part anout Amore Carina*

NeHi2O5.gif

lol yeah, they just get younger and younger. :p

Anime strike getting so many of my shows, nice

Katsugeki: Touken Ranu (7/1)
Love & Lies (7/3)
DIVE!! (7/5)
Altair: A Record of Battles (7/7)
Vatican Miracle Examiner (7/7)

Made in Abyss (7/7)
Welcome to the Ballroom (7/8)
Hitorijime My Hero (7/8)

Princess Principal (7/8)
Lights of the Clione (7/12)
Hell Girl 4 (7/14)
Sagrada, RoB and Re:Creators w/ more new eps!

https://twitter.com/animestrike

JulianImp

God dang it, I knew CR wasn't going to keep a monopoly on anime streaming for long, but I don't know if I really want to subscribe to several streaming services for my share of seasonal shows...

zulux21

God dang it, I knew CR wasn't going to keep a monopoly on anime streaming for long, but I don't know if I really want to subscribe to several streaming services for my share of seasonal shows...

I wouldn't mind that much if amazon strike didn't require a prime account on top of it.

oh well, it's going to suck for a bit but I doubt 4 services will survive for that long.

anime strike is the issue to be honest. Fuck anime strike.

Netflix sucks because we don't get shit until the season is over, but at least the anime is included in the subscription. Anime Strike is just fucking stupid as fuck, it's a double paywall where you have to first pay for Prime and then an extra $5 a month for strike. Fuck that, I'll go back to my old ways prior to the rise of crunchy before touching that bullshit logic.

JulianImp

Now I'm wondering if I'm supposed to subscribe to NA Amazon prime and Anime Strike as an Argentine resient, since there isn't a local Amazon site for my region AFAIK.

I really appreciated it when CR started offering regional prices that were more in line with what I could pay, so it'd be sad to have the whole system regress to pretending we Argentines earn as much as people working in the US do (which we don't, not by a reeeeeeeally long shot).

I wouldn't mind that much if amazon strike didn't require a prime account on top of it.

oh well, it's going to suck for a bit but I doubt 4 services will survive for that long.

That's kind of my thinking. I see it as more of a waiting game, since I can't imagine that Amazon is going to get the type of returns they're expecting versus how much money they're dumping into the service.

Amazon seems like they're working with the mindset that they're just competing with Netlix and CR which is definitely not the case; they're also competing with fansubs. CR's biggest selling point is not just how cheap it is, but also the fact that it's able to get their content out much quicker than fansubbers . Ignoring the Double Paywall (though that is definitely an issue) the average anime fan won't put up with Amazon continually delaying their simulcasts. Why pay for a service that's always late when you can just watch the content on certain sites for free?

That's kind of my thinking. I see it as more of a waiting game, since I can't imagine that Amazon is going to get the type of returns they're expecting versus how much money they're dumping into the service.

Amazon seems like they're working with the mindset that they're just competing with Netlix and CR which is definitely not the case; they're also competing with fansubs. CR's biggest selling point is not just how cheap it is, but also the fact that it's able to get their content out much quicker than fansubbers . Ignoring the Double Paywall (though that is definitely an issue) the average anime fan won't put up with Amazon continually delaying their simulcasts. Why pay for a service that's always late when you can just watch the content on certain sites for free?

I dont think amazon is going for the ~average anime fan~ but rather Amazon Prime users who watch anime. And isnt it unclear how they are getting sentai and aniplex shows, is AMZN paying those companies for them, or are those companies paying AMZN to have their shows on the service?

I dont think amazon is going for the ~average anime fan~ but rather Amazon Prime users who watch anime. And isnt it unclear how they are getting sentai and aniplex shows, is AMZN paying those companies for them, or are those companies paying AMZN to have their shows on the service?

Amazon has to be paying Sentai because the reverse wouldn't make any sense.

Cornbread78

Sakarada Reset ep.13
Sonetimes this show is to smart for me, other times, it tries to be too smart for me. Even with that, it remains ibteresting because it keeps you guessing how eveeything pieces together..

tuffy

So is/was Gundam Thunderbolt good? And if so should I watch the recut movie or the episodes?
It moves at a blistering pace, but it's worth it for the mecha action and soundtrack at the very least.

The recut movie adds more footage so I'd choose that over the episodes.

So is/was Gundam Thunderbolt good? And if so should I watch the recut movie or the episodes?

It's pretty melodramatic/a bit edgy dark, then again it's not like Gundam is the most restrained franchise anyway. It's awesome for the mecha action though, which looks absolutely incredible and the soundtrack is solid too.

DNAbro

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans S1 Episode 25 [End]

It's been so long since I've watched a full Gundam series and I'm glad that this was so enjoyable. All the characters are so great but man I can only see things ending up awful for Orga and everyone in Tekkadan in season 2. "Yeah let's all fucking die for the family who cares about our individuality." I want to see them happy but with that kind of attitude, they most likely won't make it and it pisses me off that they are okay with that. Maybe I'm right or wrong and people here know what's coming, but that's just what I'm expecting.

I'll start season 2 next week.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans S1 Episode 25 [End]

It's been so long since I've watched a full Gundam series and I'm glad that this was so enjoyable. All the characters are so great but man I can only see things ending up awful for Orga and everyone in Tekkadan in season 2. "Yeah let's all fucking die for the family who cares about our individuality." I want to see them happy but with that kind of attitude, they most likely won't make it and it pisses me off that they are okay with that. Maybe I'm right or wrong and people here know what's coming, but that's just what I'm expecting.

I'll start season 2 next week.

Season 2 is definitely a treat. I had conflicted feelings when it was airing, but upon further reflection I definitely have to praise the writers for committing to the path they ultimately take it.

jbug617

Banned
Was this posted?
Amazon announced on Friday that it will begin exclusively streaming anime titles that air in the Animeism programming block of MBS, TBS, and BS-TBS to over 200 countries around the world through its Amazon Prime Video service. The titles include this summer's Shōkoku no Altair (Altair: A Record of Battles) anime. The service will also continue streaming the Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul anime, which is now airing the Animeism block and is continuing its run this summer.

Amazon also revealed more titles for its summer streaming, including Lights of the Clione (Clione no Akari) and Hell Girl 4 (Jigoku Shōjo: Yoi no Togi).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...eism-shows-including-altair-worldwide/.118205

zulux21

Amazon has to be paying Sentai because the reverse wouldn't make any sense.

yeah seriously, why in the hell would sentai spend money licensing a show and then spend money to have the privilege to stream the show on a service they have no investment in at all.

they are obviously getting paid to have their shows there otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Not yet, but that's big news (and bad news for those who were hoping Amazon would stop licensing so much anime). Now they've got both this and noitaminA as ongoing blocks they hold the exclusive worldwide streaming rights too, in addition to any individual shows they license in Japan and what they get from Sentai.

ideally amazon will just go one step farther and start actually funding some anime series.

someone high up in amazon might be an anime fan and we might finally get a new season of Berserk as we haven't had one in almost 20 years.

ideally amazon will just go one step farther and start actually funding some anime series.

someone high up in amazon might be an anime fan and we might finally get a new season of Berserk as we haven't had one in almost 20 years.

Amazon has already been funding anime series that haven't aired on TV, namely an ongoing series of Shin-chan spinoff shorts. I think most of the impetus for Amazon's involvement in anime comes from Amazon Japan though; their Western branches don't seem to care much.

zulux21

Amazon has already been funding anime series that haven't aired on TV, namely an ongoing series of Shin-chan spinoff shorts. I think most of the impetus for Amazon's involvement in anime comes from Amazon Japan though; their Western branches don't seem to care much.

fair enough.

more realistically perhaps they will go all in enough that they decide it should be a fully stand alone service, off shoot the brand in general and no longer require prime to get it.

either way... I think they have pretty much everything I was interested in this season... so it looks like I am going to watch some bottom of the barrel stuff with funi dubs this coming season lol.

I thought that should be good, 200 countries get access to anime on a stable service on multiple devices, and we dont have to worry about [insert animism show is or is not getting picked up]. Apparently people want services that lock content to just 3 or 4 countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom