• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spyro Reignited Trilogy will only include the first game on disc.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/08/01/spyro-reignited-trilogy-download-disc/
Spyro-Reignited-Trilogy-download.png

A representative for Activision provided us with a little bit of clarification, “The global launch date of Spyro Reignited Trilogy is Sept. 21; and we’re excited for fans to play all three reignited games on that day.

“As with most games today, downloading an update after purchase is quite common. The language on packaging and on the web is to let players know the requirements for Spyro Reignited Trilogy.”
Spyro fans, you've been Activisioned.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man that's some great PR spin to compare two whole games to bug fix/stability patches.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I hope the game has a clear label on the packaging advising that an internet connection is required.

SegaShack

Things like this make me sad that in 10 years people wont be able to enjoy most games this generation with the amount of patches required.

Larxia

Things like this make me sad that in 10 years people wont be able to enjoy most games this generation with the amount of patches required.
I hate this, it really worries me for game preservation, what if servers are closed in let's say 15 to 20 years? Retro gaming from today probably won't be a thing in the future.
It really is a problem that most games are incomplete on disc and require ton of additionnal download content.

Unacceptable for a physical release, and I say that as someone who only buys digital on PS4. What even is the point of releasing a boxed version when most of the content isn't even on the disc? Shameful display!

Petrae

Activision being a piece of shit? No fucking way!

Why even bother wasting a disc? Just release it digitally only. Oh, wait— you can’t sucker people at retail that way.

I hate this, it really worries me for game preservation, what if servers are closed in let's say 15 to 20 years? Retro gaming from today probably won't be a thing in the future.
It really is a problem that most games are incomplete on disc and require ton of additionnal download content.

Not avaible in legal ways. Im sure that are people that store games and content and eventualy we will be able to emulate on future PCs.

JimboJones

Wow that's nuts I'd expect this with a switch version not on consoles with 50GB disks.
Did they just use up all the space with uncompressed audio and video or something?

Will be interesting to see the download sizes.

Last edited:
Annnd....Activision remains a shit tier publisher. Confirmed. I've now downgraded this from an instant "day one" purchase to be nothing more than a potential cheap second hand pick up. Fuck you Activision. Suck my vanilla salty balls.

Edit: That cover artwork is horrible. Who the hell is driving this ship? It's like they hired the marketing intern to be the project manager after two days on the job. What an epic way to screw over the fantastic work done by the dev team.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wow that's nuts I'd expect this with a switch version not on consoles with 50GB disks.
Did they just use up all the space with uncompressed audio and video or something?

It's just another foot into the digital push. They are all playing the long game.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

This. I know 4K assets can be large (is this even going to be 4k on anything? not following closely) but 50GB is a still presumably a lot of space for something with this sort of art style - Blurays are cheap these days too. When scaling down the Switch's version they fit the Crash Trilogy on one cart, no downloads too.
Seems like the choices are "poor communication" or "scumbag move" here. A third option would be nice.

I know I'm going to sound like an asshole but Spyro came out 20 years ago and we are talking about it coming out again. I do agree with you, just thought it was kind of funny.

Fox Mulder

I only buy digital and will buy this, but this seems dumb for people that buy physical.

Digital future is here, but people that buy discs shouldn't have to download significant parts of the game not on disc. They're just fucked if they happen to not have internet.

Cato

Banned
Annnd....Activision remains a shit tier publisher. Confirmed. I've now downgraded this from an instant "day one" purchase to be nothing more than a potential cheap second hand pick up. Fuck you Activision.

Oh sweet summer child.
You think Activision will allow you to download game 2 and 3 from that second hand copy?

-MD-

Hilariously dumb for a console game, I'm holding off for PC which would be digital anyways but pulling this on a physical release is clown shoes.

Rayderism

Seems like a piracy protection scheme to me. Just like how most games require a day1 patch.....so the disk is a buggy/incomplete version. Some pirate makes an ISO of the disk, and it's the crappiest (or in this case, incomplete) version of the game unless they know how to inject all the patches into it, which is quite a bit more involved than just ripping a disk into and ISO.

To be fair though, this isn't the first time a game has been released on disk incomplete. Telltale has done it multiple times with their episodic games where only the first episode or two were on the disk and you had to DL the rest.

Still, it's a shady tactic none the less.

CatCouch

Lol. 2 out of 3 games require downloading. Really? And that's considered a "patch" now?

Can we seriously not have one game that doesn't come packaged with a controversy or is that a feature now, too?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Publishers have been pulling this shit on the Switch, supposedly due to their cartridge size. They can fuck right off if they can't fit three remastered PS1 games on a Blu Ray disc though, especially considering the number of shared textures between the three games.

This is absolutely a way to cut down resale values and push digital. I guarantee the other games aren't a patch - there's going to be an insert in the box with a code for the other two digital games, mark my words.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Doubt it most likely drm of some kind cause fuck you customer.

I really hope Activision gets criticized in 2018 as much as EA did in 2017, although for different reasons. They deserve it and it could happen.

doviis

Neo Member
I don't get it. What's the problem to download 2 and 3rd games from internet? As I understand you don't need to buy them separately.
Just put the disc, install the first game and start downloading the 2&3.
Of course it would be shame if you cannot download the 2 and 3 parts if you buy preowned game.

Tarkus98

Wow, this is shit tier publishing right here folks. It would be interesting if there is a huge backlash over this by the general public and Activision has to master games 2 & 3 onto discs and recall the early copies. I know this will never happen though.
I feel bad for the developers of this game if it undersells because of this.
Just... wow 😯

I don't get it. What's the problem to download 2 and 3rd games from internet? As I understand you don't need to buy them separately.
Of course it would be shame if you cannot download the 2 and 3 parts if you buy preowned game.
It defeats the whole damn point of a physical version. What's hard to understand the problem with that?

It's like if you bought a digital copy of a game on PSN and then instead of being able to download it you instead got a email saying your disc will arrive in 2 to 3 business days. It defeats the entire point of why that person was buying the game digitally. If they buy it digital they want it digital, if they buy it physical they want it physical. Should be simple to grasp.

You also have to factor in download speeds, not everyone has super fast download speed even if playing games online is perfectly fine, which is another reason someone would prefer physical, things just take forever to download. Lets not forget the poor bastards that are stuck in areas where it's either satellite, dial-up, or nothing.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Okay, one less game for me to buy this year, thanks and fuck you too, Activision. This is such a dumb anti-consumer move.

Yoshi

Preservation. I buy retail versions so I have the right and full control so I can play the game 20 years down the line, even if the dl service is discontinued or the company selling the game has went bankrupt. I will not pay 40€ just for Spyro 1 and a rental of 2 & 3.

CatCouch

It defeats the whole damn point of a physical version. What's hard to understand the problem with that?

It's like if you bought a digital copy of a game on PSN and then instead of being able to download it you instead got a email saying your disc will arrive in 2 to 3 business days. It defeats the entire point of why that person was buying the game digitally. If they buy it digital they want it digital, if they buy it physical they want it physical. Should be simple to grasp.

You also have to factor in download speeds, not everyone has super fast download speed even if playing games online is perfectly fine, which is another reason someone would prefer physical, things just take forever to download. Lets not forget the poor bastards that are stuck in areas where it's either satellite, dial-up, or nothing.
I have to rely on satellite. So many people seem to think everyone has great internet or you're not playing games, like there are not parts of the US with crappy internet. If the 2 downloaded games are upwards of 30 or more gb's that's going to eat up a lot of my monthly allowance.

Night.Ninja

Banned
First thing that came to my head was the devs didn’t fully complete the game in time to put on the disks so they just put what they had completed on them and the rest you have to download 🤷‍♀️

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I am sure big publishers have a clear emotional reaction to the potential “oh no, people will be at the publishers’ mercy when a server is pulled down and/or content is removed from the digital store and the publishers will hold all the cards deciding when things are allowed to be BC or not or rereleased with minor patches and price hikes and can renegotiate it all more easily with the platform holder and will have effectively killed used sales and have a strong hold over consumers...”...

and the reaction is “whoooohoooooooo yeah!!!!!! The best thing about this is that we told them it would be better and cheaper for them and they bought it all up lol 😂”... the death of physical media many many cherish will show its consequences once customers have no alternative and forgot about fighting for the sale ownership rights as they used to have with physical media (first sale doctrine bye bye...).

Ar¢tos

Can't wait to see how Activision is going to fuck up Sekiro....
What a shit company. They really want to take EA "worst company" prize this year.
I really don't understand why FROM SOFTWARE wants their name associated with this publisher.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
I am sure big publishers have a clear emotional reaction to the potential “oh no, people will be at the publishers’ mercy when a server is pulled down and/or content is removed from the digital store and the publishers will hold all the cards deciding when things are allowed to be BC or not or rereleased with minor patches and price hikes and can renegotiate it all more easily with the platform holder and will have effectively killed used sales and have a strong hold over consumers...”...

and the reaction is “whoooohoooooooo yeah!!!!!! The best thing about this is that we told them it would be better and cheaper for them and they bought it all up lol 😂”... the death of physical media many many cherish will show its consequences once customers have no alternative and forgot about fighting for the sale ownership rights as they used to have with physical media (first sale doctrine bye bye...).

The death of physical media means that games will launch at 99.99 and remain at 99.99 forever. With the exception of temporary sales during black friday and round christmas when they will be 59.99 for a week or two.

The only reason why new (as in not preowned) games drop in price over time is the competition from preowned copies at eb games/gamestop/amazon.
Once Gamestop has 100 copies of preowned Destiny 2 on the shelves for 14.99, selling a "new" copy at 99.99 next to that becomes really hard and is the only reason that they eventually drop the price.
This affects digital too. Once there are hundreds of physical copies of it for 14.99 at the local gamestop, selling the same thing new as digital download at 99.99 becomes very hard.

Remove physical and go digital only and your future will have "game releases digital at 99.99 and remain at 99.99 forever". There will never be pricedrops, there will never be bargain bins.
That is the future.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
WTF??This is probably some A grade bullshit to cover some hidden DRM. Even if there isn't some sort of DRM behind it it's still bullshit since i don't like having a digital games that i can have as physical.Especially when i'm paying for physical.

Fuck them.They just lost a sale. This has gone from day 1 to day bargain bin. There are lots of other publishers out there who respect their consumers and deserve my money.

I think the worst thing that pisses me off is their PR treating us as idiots.

Last edited:

CatCouch

The death of physical media means that games will launch at 99.99 and remain at 99.99 forever. With the exception of temporary sales during black friday and round christmas when they will be 59.99 for a week or two.

The only reason why new (as in not preowned) games drop in price over time is the competition from preowned copies at eb games/gamestop/amazon.
Once Gamestop has 100 copies of preowned Destiny 2 on the shelves for 14.99, selling a "new" copy at 99.99 next to that becomes really hard and is the only reason that they eventually drop the price.
This affects digital too. Once there are hundreds of physical copies of it for 14.99 at the local gamestop, selling the same thing new as digital download at 99.99 becomes very hard.

Remove physical and go digital only and your future will have "game releases digital at 99.99 and remain at 99.99 forever". There will never be pricedrops, there will never be bargain bins.
That is the future.
I don't know if it will be that bad, Steam has lots of sales. I buy a lot of digital games during flash sales on my PS4 as well. On the flip side, Nintendo games rarely go down in price, physical or not. If I don't buy a Nintendo game new on release I tend to never buy because the damn things are full price three years later.

The Spyro situation here is just BS, though. I seriously might cancel my preorder and buy later. There's so many games coming out in September, I might have to thank Activision for giving me some extra time!

Yoshi

That is the future.
I think, even though I am very much against an all-digital future, that this is not entirely true. There still is an incentive to drop the price later on, because you may have gotten the full sales potential at a given price, but there may be users willing to buy the game at a lower price. If you time it well, then a price drop could lead to more profit overall, and since it is a purely digital good, this comes at not cost. However, Steam sales and similar show that this is very hard to balance. Overall though, I agree on the point, that playing games would get more expensive in an all-digital future and especially early adopters would be bitten in the ass.

Breakage

This sort of stuff began with last gen machines and DLC game modes to complement physical releases. Now entire games are delivered via the same way.

It's gonna be tough for future collectors of current gen (and next gen) machines.

Mattyp

Gold Member
The gamepass future people! Careful what you wish for

Nothing like gamepass, gamepass is a rental service like netflix where you go in buying for digital.

This is complete fucking trash on Activision's behalf and a game I was hyped to get will no longer be purchased.

Top Bottom