• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spyro Reignited Trilogy will only include the first game on disc.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This things are really annoying.

What is the eagerness to put 1 game on the disk and the others in download, because they can not place the 3 games on the same disk

In Bioshock Collection, they put the games in 2 disc.

Activision it hurt you not put the Trilogy in the same way?

What a greedy to not put an extra disk

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

If this is a new trend for Activision, then future games will only have half of the 1st level or the character creator in the disc. It will be like that PC game that the physical release was only the steam files to download the game (can't remember what game it was).

sublimit

Banned
This things are really annoying.

What is the eagerness to put 1 game on the disk and the others in download, because they can not place the 3 games on the same disk

In Bioshock Collection, they put the games in 2 disc.

Activision it hurt you not put the Trilogy in the same way?

What a greedy to not put an extra disk

There's no way one disc wouldn't be enough. We have huge games like The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed and so many others with much more detailed heavier textures and stuff all fit in one disc.There's no way 3 games with Spyro's art style and graphics wouldn't fit. If they try pulling a bullshit excuse like that it will piss me off even more. At least they should have the balls and admit the real reasons behind this and stop insulting our intelligence.

Last edited:

Jarbloko

Well guys...you know what to do...
Do not buy...
Its the only way to "talk" with companies.

Dayum...even capcom cant put all the megaman x games in one single disk...
i mean... that are ps1-ps2 games on a bluray...
theres no excuses.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am not buying it. It would kill my OCD to have something like this sitting on the shelf for collection reasons, and it is not even a full copy. Even though I buy digital too (usually double dip on favorite franchises I have a disc for when they go on deep flash sales), but I will only get this digital, well after it's release in one of those deeply discounted sales if I do not forget about it due to the constant backlog.

For contrast, Crash Trilogy was all on one disc. This is purely the next step they are taking in the "long game", as I mentioned several times already, to condition everything to be digital as the marketshare splits keep growing very quickly on the digital side. It is not DRM since the disc itself ... IS ... DRM already with the executable.

This game is useless and INCOMPLETE beyond the first one for people with no internet connection.

Last edited:
I am not buying it. It would kill my OCD to have something like this sitting on the shelf for collection reasons, and it is not even a full copy. Even though I buy digital too (usually double dip on favorite franchises I have a disc for when they go on deep flash sales), but I will only get this digital, well after it's release in one of those deeply discounted sales if I do not forget about it due to the constant backlog.

For contrast, Crash Trilogy was all on one disc. This is purely the next step they are taking in the "long game", as I mentioned several times already, to condition everything to be digital as the marketshare splits keep growing very quickly on the digital side. It is not DRM since the disc itself ... IS ... DRM already with the executable.

This game is useless and INCOMPLETE beyond the first one for people with no internet connection.

(y) Got it in one mate. Don't buy this until it hits the bargain bins folks.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
(y) Got it in one mate. Don't buy this until it hits the bargain bins folks.

Quick question, did the CoD4 that was a download, release separately down the road on a disc? I am wondering if they will do the same with this, if so. But my gut tells me this is their new strategy playing on nostalgia for "acceptance".

I am going to be hollering when 2 and 3 are via a code so the resale is pretty much useless on the disc (not that I resell because I do not anymore, but yeah for those who do).

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
I love the response in this thread. Consumers beginning to fight back against the digital future. I agree this is a BS move and I wouldn't be buying it even if I wanted it.

sublimit

Banned
I'm curious if any big Youtubers like AngryJoe will talk about this or if they will decide to keep quiet. I have seen some smaller channels already trying to find all kinds of dumb excuses to justify this action.

Last edited:
Crash N. Sane Trilogy didn't have this problem as far as I know. I remember putting in the disc, 1 minute install, and all three games were playable.

Unfortunately I preordered Spyro digitally so I am locked in. I replayed the original Spyro games on my PS1 and I didn't enjoy them as much as I remember - they have aged A LOT worse than Crash Bandicoot. I actually plan on making a thread about this when Reignited comes out.

Between that and Activision making Spyro 2 and 3 digital exclusives, I don't blame anyone here for buying this on a sale or second hand... or not at all lol.

Does this mean that even purchasing the physical edition means I’m only owning 1 of 3 games permanently? Really not a fan of this type of mixed physical/digital offerings these last few years. Even when you buy the game and you need to download the day one patch. When that goes offline you fcked. Im just fed up. Sorry for tangent rant

sublimit

Banned
Crash N. Sane Trilogy didn't have this problem as far as I know. I remember putting in the disc, 1 minute install, and all three games were playable.

Unfortunately I preordered Spyro digitally so I am locked in. I replayed the original Spyro games on my PS1 and I didn't enjoy them as much as I remember - they have aged A LOT worse than Crash Bandicoot. I actually plan on making a thread about this when Reignited comes out.

Between that and Activision making Spyro 2 and 3 digital exclusives, I don't blame anyone here for buying this on a sale or second hand... or not at all lol.

Personally i consider the first 3 Spyro games as some of the best games of the PS1 era and i think they were far superior than the Crash games but for some reason they never got as much marketing push as Crash did. From what i've seen these remakes look phenomenal and i would have gladly bought the trilogy on day 1 but i value my consumer rights much more than any game that happens to interests me. If you try to screw me as a consumer then fuck you,i'll just give my money to someone else who actually respects me.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Yea, no, change this or I'm not buying it. And there better be indication on the box it doesn't include the last 2 games on the disc. This is stupid. Its not a size issue. Quit being lazy.

TLZ

Banned
If you release a disc, you better have the game in there. Otherwise what's the point? I'd rather get them all digital then.

F this shit.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Do we know if the download requires a one-time activation code? (to prevent reselling the game) Otherwise I can't understand the motivation of Activision.

I'm curious if any big Youtubers like AngryJoe will talk about this or if they will decide to keep quiet. I have seen some smaller channels already trying to find all kinds of dumb excuses to justify this action.
AngryJoe doesn't have much of a history with Playstation games. He was really late on playing The Last of Us and Uncharted games, and I don't know if he's ever owned a PS1 where Spyro was born on.

Considering that he didn't jump into the Crash craze last year, he likely doesn't have a taste of these kind of games to make videos on them.

sublimit

Banned
AngryJoe doesn't have much of a history with Playstation games. He was really late on playing The Last of Us and Uncharted games, and I don't know if he's ever owned a PS1 where Spyro was born on.

Considering that he didn't jump into the Crash craze last year, he likely doesn't have a taste of these kind of games to make videos on them.
That's too bad.For good or worse,regardless if we like it or not Youtubers like him really have the power and influence to make a company change its actions.

FranXico

Fuck Activision. I was thinking of buying Crash. Going to hold off a lot longer after hearing about this crap.

FranXico

Nostalgia is not a requirement to see the dodgy shit Activision is doing here. I'd send AJ a message about this.

Leonidas

I don't see the problem unless it's a download code that prevents you from re-selling the trilogy. The game lives on the HDD anyway, you can probably download 2 and 3 in the time it takes you to complete the original game on disc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you release a disc, you better have the game in there. Otherwise what's the point? I'd rather get them all digital then.

F this shit.

"Got'em" - Activision

That's too bad.For good or worse,regardless if we like it or not Youtubers like him really have the power and influence to make a company change its actions.

You know Jim Sterling will be on this.

I don't see the problem unless it's a download code that prevents you from re-selling the trilogy. The game lives on the HDD anyway, you can probably download 2 and 3 in the time it takes you to complete the original game on disc.

Or those who do not have internet access or rigid datacaps. You know, the point of buying physical games for them.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Spyro Reignited Trilogy only has one game on the disc Activision warns that second and third instalments will need to be downloaded after purchase

While it's true that almost all modern games require extra content to be downloaded before they can be played, it's rare that this encompasses entire titles - particularly two thirds of a trilogy. It's not clear as to how big this download will be, but it's unlikely to be small.

It's also odd given that Activision managed to fit all three remastered Crash Bandicoot titles onto the disc for last year's best-selling N Sane Trilogy - a title that, thanks to its Xbox and Switch release, continues to top the charts.

wvnative

The Spyro games were always way bigger than crash to be fair. I believe it'd it be hard to to fit them all on a disc with the new graphics.

But if that is true, there should be a multi disc option for those unable to download.

RScrewed

I hate this, it really worries me for game preservation, what if servers are closed in let's say 15 to 20 years?

One of my biggest worries, literally. Perhaps pirates will figure out how to extract the downloaded files to make an installer package, or create a fake server to connect to with the game files. I wonder if that would be copyright infringement or violating their terms of use if you bought this piece-of-shit Spyro release and in 20 years, you had to emulate their servers to play the game.

sublimit

Banned
The Spyro games were always way bigger than crash to be fair. I believe it'd it be hard to to fit them all on a disc with the new graphics.

But if that is true, there should be a multi disc option for those unable to download.
Oh please. PS4 discs have a 50GB size. And they can fit in much bigger and more taxing games than the Spyro trilogy which has a graphical style far less taxing than the huge photorealistic open world games that are available on one disc.

wvnative

Oh please. PS4 discs have a 50GB size. And they can fit in much bigger and more taxing games than the Spyro trilogy which has a graphical style far less taxing than the huge photorealistic open world games that are available on one disc.

I meant to say if they were to say that, I'd believe them. The crash games totaled 23GBs and each of those are significantly smaller than Spyro. But I agree if the witcher can fit on a disc they should have found a way to compress it to fit it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I meant to say if they were to say that, I'd believe them. The crash games totaled 23GBs and each of those are significantly smaller than Spyro. But I agree if the witcher can fit on a disc they should have found a way to compress it to fit it.

It is not about fitting on a disc. It is, as I said numerous times, them making their next move towards their all digital future long game. Activism was one of those companies along with EA, etc., that supposedly was all in and even worked with MS with the OG Xbox One 'always online' DRM fiasco.

It is drip feed normalization.

Last edited:

KiteGr

My man!

Nymphae

Banned
This is absolutely a way to cut down resale values and push digital.

My gaming time and dollars are going to go WAY down once they finally get rid of physical releases.

I took 7 trash games into EB the other day, and got over $80 credit, for shit I wasn't going to play. The girl at the counter says "here let me sign you up for a preorder, you don't have to claim it, but this will give you like another 20 bucks". Fucking sweet.

I walked in thinking I'd have to pay maybe 25 30 bucks for the game I wanted, I ended up walking out with the game and no money spent, plus almost $30 down for Spiderman next month.

I ask all the people who are only digital - where is shit like this going to happen in the future? It won't. At best you will get some occasional discounts. You're buying everything new, and not getting anything back for it, ever.

Last edited:

DonF

I understand it in the switch with cartridges, but why with the ps4 version and blurays? That's just scummy on activisions part.

Fbh

So have they clarified if it's going to be part of a day 1 update or if the game comes with a one time use code to download the other 2?

Both are bad but the second one would directly affect the resell value of the game

Well guys...you know what to do...
Do not buy...
Its the only way to "talk" with companies.

Dayum...even capcom cant put all the megaman x games in one single disk...
i mean... that are ps1-ps2 games on a bluray...
theres no excuses.

Totally agree but I think the sad part is that the message activision would get from this game selling poorly isn't "people want the whole game to be on the disk" but rather "there's no interest in our older franchises"

DonF

Stop being understanding. That just encourages them.
You know what? You are god damn right. Switch cartridges are more expensive the more capacity, but fucking activision has tons of money and buying power, they must pay like cents more for more capacity.
But I don't understand the excuse with blurays. Since every ps4 and xbox game can use a double layer disc, which is almost standard since lots of games used 25+ gb...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh man, the Spyro fans are going nuts attacking people with some mental gymnastics who are calling out Spyro/Activision on Twitter.

Never change, "Thank you sir, may I have another." *smack* "Thank you sir, may I have another" *smack* type gamers.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Oh man, the Spyro fans are going nuts attacking people with some mental gymnastics who are calling out Spyro/Activision on Twitter.

Never change, "Thank you sir, may I have another." *smack* "Thank you sir, may I have another" *smack* type gamers.
Link please

Ar¢tos

They want an excuse to release a "complete edition" 2 months later to revive the sales (with spyro 1 + 2 on disc), and 3 months after that the GOTY edition with all 3 games.

Tarkus98

I very much doubt each game will be over 10gigs. I’m thinking 30 total for all 3 at the most.
Activision absolutely knows they are being sneaky about this. If they were on the level it would have been stated right from the start and a logical reason provided for them doing it this way. Not some insulting BS statement comparing this to a patch. The whole things reeks of shady business practices in order to prevent resale’s of the game on the used market.

Barakov

Well, that's a hard pass from me. Won't tolerate this. Activision, EA and whoever else tries this kind of stuff can shove it.

Top Bottom