• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spyro the Dragon 2: Rypto's Rage - The Gateway to Glimmer

RK128

Spyro_2_-_Ripto's_Rage!_Coverart.png

The Spyro Retrospective continues! We join the purple dragon for another adventure as he ventures to a new land, learns some more moves and collects an endless amount of gems. Lets get flaming!

History:
The game started production not long after Spyro 1 went gold, so similar to Insomniac's future series Ratchet & Clank, the Spyro PS1 Trilogy was in rapid development. So while many played Spyro 1 Fall 1998, Insomniac was hard at work on the sequel due out a year later.

Not much is out there for development history for Spyro 2 but again mirroring a future Insomniac series, voice actors switched for the second installment; Tom Kenny became the new voice for Spyro. What is interesting about this? Well, he is only the voice of a yellow sponge under the sea and of a ice wizard in a specific adventure based show. This is a big deal in retrospect.

A fun fact about Ripto and the games title; in Japan Spyro 1 had its own original JP name but when looking at it, Insomniac thought it looked liked a word called 'Ripto'. They loved the name and used it for both the NA title & the main villain of the game. EU also got a different name compared to the US version....if you read the Retrospective sub-title, you might get the hint to this.

I also feel that Spyro 2 got a larger amount of funding, as there is a lot more voice acting and the amount of locations compared to Spyro 1 increased with more stuff to do in each of the worlds. Spyro 2 released in Fall 1999 alongside Naughty Dog's final Crash title, Crash Team Racing. Spyro 2 got great reception and work on the third & final game from Insomniac in the Spyro series was underway.

Story:
This is much larger in Spyro 1 in many ways.

PLAYSTATION--Spyro%20the%20Dragon_Nov11%2016_39_46.png

Spryo and Sparx are relaxing, where they see a portal to Dragon Shores pop up. They run into the portal hoping to find relaxation after their battle with Nasty Nork from the first game. In Summer Forest, we have three characters trying to summon a Dragon to take out a foe they acidently brought to their world; Rypto.

spyro2-storyportalgang.jpg

They end up getting a dragon.....and its Spyro. He asks if this is Dragon Shores but soon learns that he is yet tasked with yet another adventure to complete. Spyro says "Oh well, lets get started" and the adventure beings.

tumblr_nv8xny0f311qdjbb7o4_500.gif

What makes the story here fun is the character interactions. We get great characters like Hunter, the Professor and Money Bags introduced with this game and many of them appear in future titles. Everyone is voice acted and they are well voiced. This includes all the side NPC's you see in the other levels across the game and it makes this world a living, breathing place.

Spyro 1 accomplished that with its atmosphere but Spyro 2 does that same effect with a push toward character interactions and I like this shift. We also have intro and ending scenes when we enter/leave the levels, giving you a nice feeling of 'conclusion' after beating each world. Really like the characters and world of this game, with this direction continuing with Spyro 3.

Gameplay & Progression Structure
Here, this is where the Spyro series really shined the brightest honestly. The gameplay is the very core of Spyro 1; exploring levels to collect every single gem and accomplish the 'main' goal. But HOW this plays out turns this into a very different game.

Spyro_2_talisman.jpg

Spyro learns some major moves here. He can learn to climb walls, he has the ability to flutter in the air to get some extra height for jumps (start the game with this ability), swim underwater and a ground-pound esc horn dive. All of these mores are core abilities Spyro has for a number of future games, so this game established his 'core' moveset.

maxresdefault.jpg

Spyro's swimming is something I have to comment on, as it is some of the best swimming controls in any 3D platformer I have ever played. Spyro moves so gracefully when swimming and this makes exploring underwater slowly or quickly very relaxing & enjoyable. Core gameplay structure got a big overhaul, as instead of saving X amount of dragons to unlock the next set of levels you have to collect one talisman for each world to beat the game. But to fully see everything, you need to collect all the gems and orbs.

hqdefault.jpg

Gems function like in the original game, where can stockpile a massive amount of them just from exploring the worlds. But we have Money Bags, which makes gems feel important. You unlock some of Spyro's moves and access new parts of the level by 'paying' Money Bags with your gems. This games value to them and a good reason for you to collect them.

hqdefault.jpg

The orbs are the power stars, jiggys and so on; missions that are tied to the 'big' thing you need to collect. They are very varied too, ranging from just helping someone deal with some pests by spitting rocks at them too riding on a mantaray racing Hunter underwater. The variety for these missions is consistent and varied, making completing these fresh and interesting.

Spyro-2-Demo-Aquaria-Beach-3.png

But some of the missions are annoying......hate the ice skating one. Otherwise, most of them are a lot of fun.

Speedway Levels:
These are getting its own section due to them being one of the highlights of the game to me. Like the original Spyro, these allow you to fly around in an open plane where you have X amount of goals to complete with a timer counting down.

maxresdefault.jpg

What makes Spyro 2's ones so much fun is two extra features that got added; the ability to super charge (running very quickly when holding down []) and side missions in each Speedway for Hunter or another character.

These give more variety to these levels and make them more replayable then before.

Gates:
When you defeat all the foes in a given stage, you can unlock different gates that power-up Spyro with different abilities. They include the following: Flight, Super Flame Breath (break strong objects), Spring (jumps very high when hitting gate), Fire Skin (walking on lava). These are very useful and like the new way gems work now, give an existing mechanic new life through added purpose & meaning.

37594-Spyro_the_Dragon_2_-_Ripto's_Rage_[NTSC-U]-8.jpg

Bonus 100% World:
This is a big one; when you get all the orbs in the game, you can unlock the Dragon Shores area.....and it is full on level with mini games, gems to collect and more! It is a great reward for working hard on fully completing the game and a stable that Insomniac continues in later titles they produce.

Presentation:
Spyro 2 is a timeless looking game to me. You have vivid detail with the art direction across all the different worlds and the animations got a big face lift compared to Spyro 1. The voice acting is also better compared to Spyro 1 as well. Musically, Stewart Copeland returns to compose the score and it is one of my favorite gaming soundtracks. So many of the tunes are memorable and the hub world music is particularly breathtaking. So magical and otherworldly.

Gateway To Glimmer Forest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Utr7QbAgbA&list=PL9FC1AF5B2633F166&index=1
Summer Forest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUT-7YajIaQ&index=2&list=PL9FC1AF5B2633F166
Idol Springs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HD_7MuflM8&index=3&list=PL9FC1AF5B2633F166
Aquaria Towers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBwSmZhOcH0&list=PL9FC1AF5B2633F166&index=8
Ocean Speedway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsa8xVv6oEA&list=PL9FC1AF5B2633F166&index=10
Autumn Plains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH5R_TzdAG8&index=11&list=PL9FC1AF5B2633F166
Skelos Badlands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnGZLrzrvXI&list=PL9FC1AF5B2633F166&index=12
Dragon Shores: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QMpTo2GBmk&list=PL9FC1AF5B2633F166&index=35

Overall:
This is a PS1 Classic and very similar to Crash Bandicoot 2, the triogly to me, is topped here. Insomniac Games took what worked with Spyro 1 and did everything 100 times better. I really love this game a lot and I feel it stands up tall next to Mario 64, Crash 2, Sonic Generations, Ratchet 2 and other quality 3D platformers.

Spyro_the_Dragon_(character).JPG

photo.jpg

Joke aside, Sypro 2 is my favourite of the trilogy and the one I have played the most to full completion. I absolutely adore the game.

Amazing game. I have a lot of fond memories of it because of the girl I liked at the time (she's my wife now). She'd come over to my house and we played it quite a bit.

I'd love to see a Spyro reboot done right.

I'm all for a Crash reboot, but give me Spyro any day of the week. I think I've beaten Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon each like 3 or 4 times. I love them so much.

Wagram

I loved this series as a kid and replayed them all last year (the first three - the only ones that matter). Spyro 3 was my favorite when I was younger and it's arguable between 2 or 3 for me now. Ripto was a boss.

I played the PSN versions last year and 3 had a lot of slowdown. I don't remember that on the actual PS1, but it's been so long.

Pau

My favorite in the series. I have it on PS3 but need to go back.

I remember there was one orb you had to herd some weird but cute looking cows or sheep. For some reason as a kid that was my favorite thing to do.

Honey Bunny

Spyro 2 and 3 aged great and if you don't mind a more 'mindless' and calming adventure, give Spyro 1 a shot :).

All three can be planed on PS3 & PSP (no Vita sadly :().
I played all 3 on my Vita last year, I think its a regional thing. I'm EU.

MoonFrog

I remember Spyro 1 the most, but as a kid I thought this one was the best, in fact. Spyro 3 was somewhat 'meh' to me as a child, and Spyro 1 is where my nostalgia and memories are, but I remember being 'I will beat this game 100% because it is so good' with Spyro 2, perhaps the first time I ever explicitly thought that way.

Zebei

This game.

This motherfucking gqme.

Spyro 2 was the very first game i ever owned. It was a big deal for me. Based on the fact im posting on a video game site you could say it was a bit influential.

I love almost everything about this game to an insane degree. With the exception of one or two orbs, and some of Winter Tundra, everythung is spectacular. The music, the graphics (if you love the old blocky look like i do), the humor, and of course the gameplay. So much to love. And it aged spectacularly too which is even better. Probably in my top 10 of all time still.

Also worth mentioning there is an exploit that lets you pretty much break the entire game by charging after a jump. It makes any% runs of an otherwise reatively long game about 20 minutes. It also lets's you skip the trolley mission for 100% runs :p. Speedruns are cool.

RK128

Happy so many enjoyed the Retrospective :D! If I missed anything, please let me know and I will fix the OP :).

Son Of D

Still wondering why the PAL version is not on the PSN store :(

Best Spyro!

Not sure why but on the PAL PSN stores we get the NTSC versions. On the plus side we get the double jump glitch which can break the game (in a good way). On the downside, we get the (IMO) inferior final boss theme with the vocals.

Also because we get the NTSC Spyro games I think Spyro 3 on PSN gives us the glitched final boss music where it instead uses the first Hub world's theme (PAL uses the second boss theme again. Greatest hits re-release finally gives the final boss a unique theme).

guyssorry

I replayed this last year for the first time since its release. It was great, but not as good as I remembered. Still, I am glad I played it. It has a lot of charm, and, as far as early 3D games, has aged pretty well. Looking forward to playing Year of the Dragon in a few weeks over summer break.

RK128

I replayed this last year for the first time since its release. It was great, but not as good as I remembered. Still, I am glad I played it. It has a lot of charm, and, as far as early 3D games, has aged pretty well. Looking forward to playing Year of the Dragon in a few weeks over summer break.

Going to be a lot of fun replaying that for the Retrospective :).

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I'm pretty sure I 100%'d this game when I was a kid... but I barely remember anything about it now. Maybe I should go back to it one of these days...

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Only one of the original three I didn't own myself or know someone who owned it, so I didn't get to play it much at all, but I do remember from what I did play that it was perhaps my favourite in the series, though Year of the Dragon and the original are hard to beat.

I do remember liking the music in the first game slightly more than either sequel though, especially Ripto's Rage.

Also, that's got to be the most badass/awesome 1990's title ever: Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!

I hope the trilogy is released on PS4, I'd buy them all, and I always regretted not owning the original or Ripto's Rage. Would be nice to have the disc.

Lazaro

photo.jpg

Joke aside, Sypro 2 is my favourite of the trilogy and the one I have played the most to full completion. I absolutely adore the game.

Lol those words are burned into my head even now. It's not a very difficult challenge but it's easy once you learn from your errors on the track.

Kickz

This game was my Mario 64. As a kid the sound track was magical and the gameplay soothing and delightful.
Loved this title to death.

Catvoca

Banned
One of my favourite games ever, I still replay it every few years. Obviously there is a lot of nostlagia involved for me but Spyro 2 and 3 just have wonderful world design. There's some really creative different locations and challenges in those games, and there's so many fresh ideas that every world feels like there will be something new to do in it. They still hold up visually too, there is some gorgeous locations across the trilogy.

Aurongel

Spyro 3 felt like it was creatively spread super thin and wasn't as consistent as Spyro 2 was. Plus the lack of Stewart Copeland is a pain you feel through the entire game.

Spyro 2 though is an absolute gem, so many good moments and unique challenges. Even the theme park bonus stage is a fun diversion/reward.

Spyro 3 felt like it was creatively spread super thin and wasn't as consistent as Spyro 2 was. Plus the lack of Stewart Copeland is a pain you feel through the entire game.

Spyro 2 though is an absolute gem, so many good moments and unique challenges. Even the theme park bonus stage is a fun diversion/reward.

I think Copeland made a few tracks in Spyro 3. Shared his duties with some other guy.

RK128

I think Copeland made a few tracks in Spyro 3. Shared his duties with some other guy.

Yep; the soundtrack was split between him and Ryan Beveridge. They both made great tracks but it was interesting seeing to composers making the score to Spyro 3 :).

Son Of D

Geez, you weren't kidding:

spyro_the_dragon_frontcover_large_ob1Orc2cwqV69TK.jpg

Random fact about the Japanese version of Spyro (and Spyro 2). They had gameplay changes to make it more appealing to the Japanese audience (it didn't work. Spyro 3 was never released in Japan because of poor sales of 1 and 2).

Spyro's charge is slower
The camera doesn't follow Spyro directly behind him
There are Dragonfly eggs hidden in each level. I believe this is related to a Pocketstation (which never released outside of Japan) feature.
And whilst not gameplay, Spyro sometimes has voiced dialogue during gameplay for when he jumps, charges, takes damage or dies.

FbJiWN1.png

zIX7xbX.gif

You forgot the secret minigames and hunter minigames.

Also that the game was delayed un Germany because you took "souls" from the killed to power up the power up gates.

RK128

You forgot the secret minigames and hunter minigames.

Also that the game was delayed un Germany because you took "souls" from the killed to power up the power up gates.

You mean the post-game world mini games? Okay, will add that in later :).

I thought I covered the Hunter content with his missions in the Speedway levels..... will look that up later.

Didn't know you about the Germany information; thanks for sharing that :D!

Yarbskoo

It's a great game, but I don't really like the gate system, and some of the worst minigames in the series are in this game. That said, the worlds are more unique here than the first game, and having friendly NPCs in each one makes them feel more alive. The new moveset is great too.

I remember preferring Spyro 3 (probably because I completed it). Spyro 2 is great, but there's a handful of the mini-games that were smashing-controller-down-in-disgust-at-failing-yet-again worthy.

I have hazy recollections of the one where you have to stun the trolls, so the blind guy can wander through, and eventually beating it, only to be hit with the even more evil second section.

Moneybags can kiss my ass!! Stupid ass bear taking my gems and whatnot!! With that aside, I haven't played this one, even though I played three. Should I pick it up?

Zebei

Moneybags can kiss my ass!! Stupid ass bear taking my gems and whatnot!! With that aside, I haven't played this one, even though I played three. Should I pick it up?

If you enjoyed Spyro 3 absolutely

I'm not biased at all

EDIT actually read your post this time.

Top Bottom