• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix’s "Tokyo RPG Factory" sees a 244 Million yen loss

BD2 flopped because it was released with no marketing, and wasn't expanding on the previous one, more like recycled.

Persona 5 will sure outsell it. It has a freakin bigger budget. Especially marketing wise. The best thing BD got marketing wise was appearances in Nintendo Directs.

Thats a lie. BD got numerous TV commercials.

LOL. I knew you would show up sooner or later and defend your beloved Sony.

I see you cannot respond to any of my replies properly. I shouldn't be surprised though.

Vancouver

244 Million yen is't very much when you consider this doesn't factor in sales from the Western release. Not to mention that I assume some of this loss is associated with starting a new company/division.

Not sure some of these doom and gloom responses here fit with the overall narrative.

That said, this game probably should have been priced at 29.99.

I paid $40 for this to support the game and Tokyo RPG Factory in the hopes that the next game has a little more oomph behind it. I did enjoy IAS and it is a nice throwback game with a lot of elements I enjoy. I was happy with it.

For a start up, this ain't bad. Setsuna was kinda dull but I want to see where this dev studio goes. May their future be bright.

ZenTzen

BD2 flopped because it was released with no marketing, and wasn't expanding on the previous one, more like recycled.

Persona 5 will sure outsell it. It has a freakin bigger budget. Especially marketing wise. The best thing BD got marketing wise was appearances in Nintendo Directs.

I am Setsuna is literally the same, we can even say it had even less marketing than BD2

either way, this is a shame, Tokyo RPG Factory, while i have some issues with Setsuna, i hope they can continue and improve on their next games, and that SE gives them more exposure

Oregano

And then BD2 flopped. Persona 5 will likely outsell all of those games and its turn based.

Apart from their biggest franchise and mopst expensive one, which will most likely go on to be their best selling game.

What kind of comparison is this? The games are not even of the same nature. Don't see why you are looking at DQ either as its very Japanese centric. FFXV, KH3, FF7R are the big WW JRPGS and would you look at that....they are all on PS4.

And Pokemon Sun and Moon will outsell Persona 5,6,7 and 8 put together...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I hope they can find a place for them, I enjoy these type of classic RPGs.

Bravely Second got even less promotion, and likely less budget, than Setsuna did. It still did okay in Japan and the US though, although sales roughly halved versus the first game. Not a flop at all really.

P5 will do really well though, over a million for sure. It'll be the best selling non-DQ, FF, KH, Pokemon, YW, Mario or FE JRPG this gen.

Yup, the level of asset reusage was pretty telling. And they literally had to call the rerelease of the first "for the sequel" to make it clear they needed funds to even make it happen. Hopefully Asano gets another shot to make a new RPG on the next handheld.

MacTag

Banned
I am Setsuna is literally the same, we can even say it had even less marketing than BD2
Setsuna had multiple trade show appearances, a far bigger Famistu push and a ton of web marketing. Plus SE actually bothered publishing it worldwide. I don't think it's really accurate to say Bravely Second got a bigger promotional push.

Kieli

NA is a bigger market for console games nowadays compared to Japan. I'll wait for international sales before coming to conclusion.

Also, it could be creative accounting like Charlequin suggested.

hesho

i think the problem with squenix is that they have some insane expectations. I remember tomb raider sold over 3million copies in the first month of release and then squenix comes out and says it missed its sales target.....

my assumption for this game was.. they were expecting 500k copies probably for this or something insane that wasn't pushed at all in the west..

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I assume SE thought that Setsuna could carry the costs of a small studio start-up?

That's not a completely crazy assumption, but they picked the wrong game. I wanted to love this game, and, on paper, that looks like the most likely outcome. The old-school presentation and ATB is my kind of thing

But I really hated the flux system. Rather than innovative, it seems needlessly opaque, as does the spritnite (or whatever) systems. Games like this live and die by their systems--I doubt I'll ever finish it

Setsuna

Yeah, from people who haven't played it, no less, and have no clue what an amazing game they're missing out on.

As for the Bravely Default comments. Loved the game, amazing gameplay, but made me feel nothing.

I am Setsuna made me feel something. It had a nerve and a melancholy to it that is very rare these days.

But I am "Setsuna"

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dunno, I'm a big jrpg guy, and setsuna looks boring.

Nothing about that game makes me want to play it. Feels like one of those hippie rpgs like child of light.

I'd like them to remake chrono trigger. Just straight up remake it with this engine.

Honestly, being in the target market of the game, I was bearish on the it when it was first announced (worried it would just be a cheap cash-in that misses what people love about classic RPGs) but bought it on a lark and am really enjoying it.

After this game I was looking forward to seeing what the team could do with more of a budget, but I guess that's not happening :(

i think the problem with squenix is that they have some insane expectations. I remember tomb raider sold over 3million copies in the first month of release and then squenix comes out and says it missed its sales target.....

my assumption for this game was.. they were expecting 500k copies probably for this or something insane that wasn't pushed at all in the west..

500k? They'd need to sell well under 100k to offset these losses.

Dunno, I'm a big jrpg guy, and setsuna looks boring.

Nothing about that game makes me want to play it. Feels like one of those hippie rpgs like child of light.

I'd like them to remake chrono trigger. Just straight up remake it with this engine.

I have to agree here. Setsuna wasn't appealing to me.

Ravidrath

My point is just that this number doesn't really mean anything before western sales. If they sold around 20,000 copies at $40 each and Steam takes 30%, that's a gross of about $560,000. Let's say they sold around the same number on PS4. I don't know what Sony takes but let's say it's also around 30%. That adds up to around $1.1m, which is just under half of the ¥244m loss they're reporting. The number needs a lot more context to actually mean anything.

Yeah, I also feel this is premature given that it's been out for, what, two whole weeks in the US.

Possible that their fiscal year ended before they got paid by Steam and Sony, though, which is why that's being reported now.

Steam pays out monthly, but Sony pays out quarterly. So they won't see any money from Sony until the end of September.

And, yes, Sony's take is 30%, as is Steam's.

Part of the problem could've been the messaging, though - they pretty much said it was low-budget from the outset, and the trailers reflected that.

It honestly probably would've done better if they'd ponied up enough money for a few more environment types, which probably wouldn't have been that much with what they're doing here.

kennyamr

Honestly, being in the target market of the game, I was bearish on the it when it was first announced (worried it would just be a cheap cash-in that misses what people love about classic RPGs) but bought it on a lark and am really enjoying it.

After this game I was looking forward to seeing what the team could do with more of a budget, but I guess that's not happening :(
the earnings report is before the western release. why is so hard for ppl to understand that simple concept. talk to me when they show the July 2016 earnings.

Im really trying to figure out if there is even much of a story here. This is a newly set up studio, that's part of a huge developer, that has only released one game, in one region, less than 6 months ago. How could they even be expected to make a profit at this point unless they somehow released an S tier blockbuster that took the world by storm?

Shin-chan

Yeah, I also feel this is premature given that it's been out for, what, two whole weeks in the US.

Possible that their fiscal year ended before they got paid by Steam and Sony, though, which is why that's being reported now.

Steam pays out monthly, but Sony pays out quarterly. So they won't see any money from Sony until the end of September.

And, yes, Sony's take is 30%, as is Steam's.

Part of the problem could've been the messaging, though - they pretty much said it was low-budget from the outset, and the trailers reflected that.

It honestly probably would've done better if they'd ponied up enough money for a few more environment types, which probably wouldn't have been that much with what they're doing here.
Interesting post, thanks for the info re: PSN (the console digital markets are pretty unknown to us as far as I can tell).

I think the game will be fine. Not a great success perhaps but then the game isn't really quite good enough for that anyway. I would guess it's performing more or less inline with their expectations. Maybe now that they have this title under their belt they can get more funding and produce a higher quality product.

Zedark

Im really trying to figure out if there is even much of a story here. This is a newly set up studio, that's part of a huge developer, that has only released one game, in one region, less than 6 months ago. How could they even be expected to make a profit at this point unless they somehow released an S tier blockbuster that took the world by storm?

Correct, and even an S tier blockbusters may not recoup all the costs in only just over a month. (Adjusting for larger studio start up costs, development costs and marketing costs of course) There is definitely a lot of premature desperation here, and I would wager a guess (using figures from the thread that Setsuna has already sold 110k copies in Japan as of the end of June) that the game is relatively close to breking even already, with Western sales yet to be added to it. I'd say this is good news rather than bad news.

Hey, I can't create new thread so I share with you an itw with Setsuna director. Although I haven't played at Setsuna, the itw was interesting.

http://kotaku.com/q-a-i-am-setsuna-director-talks-feedback-snow-and-wh-1784829458

Thanks!

Schreier: Obviously I Am Setsuna was very much inspired by Chrono Trigger - is there another ‘90s RPG that you’d like to be inspired by?

Hashimoto: This is just my personal opinion, but I’ve been very heavily influenced by Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, all these titles from Square Enix. In that line, I am interested in maybe something like Xenogears or Vagrant Story that I’ve liked over the years. But that’s just my personal opinion, my personal thoughts—it’s nothing concrete.

Can't wait for I Am Setsuna's Daughter-Clone.

I'm guessing #13 for Setsuna means that it sold roughly on par with the Steam version which according to SteamSpy is at around 22k. Which accounting for standard platform holder takes & fees, would mean over $1 million in less than a month. Seems obvious that Setsuna will be profitable in the long run if it isn't already.

Shin-chan

What are the tracking days for PSN charts? And didn't Setsuna release at the very end of the month, meaning this is just a few days of tracking (I'm aware most full price game sales are made within the first week/month but still...)

synce

Next time spend more money on marketing the game. I had no idea it existed and when I finally did hear about it, I initially shrugged it off as a random indie

That said, when I finally looked into it and gave it a try I fell in love. Maybe they can make some money from word of mouth at least

Top Bottom