• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Explains Why Dragon Quest XI Doesn’t Have Voice Acting

Copper

Hoping they decide to add voice work to the Western version. I mean the script and everything is already complete so I don't see that as an issue.

trejo

The excuse sounds like bullshit to me, honestly. Hopefully they'll do what they did with VIII and add voices for the west because they're deluded if they think that excuse is gonna fly with their audience at large over here.

Dragon Quest doesn't need voice acting.

It doesn't "need" HD either. In fact it doesn't need most things, all entries up to now could look like the snes-like 2D version of XI on 3DS and the franchise would probably be just as strong in Japan. This isn't an argument.

Their decision isn't really painted in a good light when their response is a mix of flimsy excuses and most posts in this thread are "oh this decision does not bother me personally". But whatever, it's their franchise and they have ample reasons for retaining the conservative element of DQ, their Japanese fanbase has already shown it can't deal with changes to a tested-and-true formula. It's not just Japan either, a look at this thread is enough to see that people get uncomfortable when you question the status quo.

I don't have a problem with it either, but going off the intro cinematic, the beautiful visuals in the PS4 version have a stark contrast with the primitive-sounding music and absence of any voices whatsoever. It just looks jarring.

Alanae

Whelp, not gonna bother with the import then. Hearing the audio makes looking up unknown words easier. Was the primary reason Tales(xillia) was easy to get into when I imported it years ago.

Also for these long kind of RPGs reading nothing but text and that annoying beep sound when text scrolls is going to do my head in.
You might be happy to hear that dragon quest games have high amount of furigana that you can use to look up things with.
for example:
zlEhpsL.png

edit: at least the 3ds version does, seems like the ps4 version doesnt

Opa-Pa

This is a fair decision and honestly it bothers me a bit that so many people seem to think modern games /have/ to feature VA and tons of it at that.

HOWEVER it'd be easier to digest if they hadn't animated some scenes in such a way that the lack of VA feels jarring. Some parts of that prologue video they posted the other day looked absurd due to that.

Eusis

I'm more bothered by how this might delay the localization's release here, SE may have let it slide for Builders but for a big mainline entry (that the dev team was split on as it was) I suspect they'll be adding VA and thus we get more of the typical year-ish wait unlike a lot of more recent high profile Japanese releases.

Probably wouldn't bother on 3DS if they did bring that over though. You just don't have the same luxury of space there, even if it's way, way ahead of the DS, nevermind older handhelds.

I'm not bothered by this (my favourite DQ games don't have any VA), though I'm also one of those who loved the VA in DQVIII. I was actually surprised that they even had additional VA in the 3DS version that wasn't voiced on PS2.

I do think there's a sliver on hope that the PS4 version will get a DQVIII like localisation. I don't care on a personal level, but the presentation needs to be upgraded if it is to make any dent in the west. DQVIII in a way has already set a standard.

Aeana

I'm not bothered by this (my favourite DQ games don't have any VA), though I'm also one of those who loved the VA in DQVIII. I was actually surprised that they even had additional VA in the 3DS version that wasn't voiced on PS2.

More than that, for the English version, they actually put in the effort to redo every single one of Jessica's lines with her new actress.

scamander

Banned
Probably wouldn't bother on 3DS if they did bring that over though. You just don't have the same luxury of space there, even if it's way, way ahead of the DS, nevermind older handhelds.

Voice samples don't take much space, especially when compressed. Dragon Quest 8 is less than 4GB on the 3DS and you can release games up to 8GB there.
I don't really care, though. It looks weird on the PS4 without voice acting, but works surprisingly well on 3DS. I don't need it to be honest and would be happy to even get the 3DS game at all (fingers are crossed).

On another note: Does anyone know at what times of the year the Dragon Quest mobile games go on sale usually? Wanted to try the fourth one, but I don't know if I like playing RPG's on my phone or if they will even run on it (Galaxy S3), so I want to get it at cheap as possible.

I expect this to change for Western version. Also I hope they will have an orchestral soundtrack.

Not gonna happen, sorry.

Growing up and playing games with no VO, I'm okay with this. When I see all these limitations regarding modern gaming, stuff like open worlds and how much space audio takes up, this sorta makes me more forgiving if they dial back certain things. The only thing is, I'd rather they upped the quality of the score to something more orchestral.

It's disappointing. The voice acting in 8 was so good, and one of my favorite things about that game. It really wouldn't have been the same experience without it.

Sounds like an excuse to save money by not having to pay voice actors. My hype is kind of deflated. DQVIII came out a decade ago. I don't think there is any reason why there shouldn't be voice acting.

LordKasual

Banned
Voice acting is overrated

what isn't, on the other hand, is good use of speech bubbles

I hate how every game wants me to read text on the bottom of the screen these days

Osukaa

Metroid got worse but I prefer Zelda with voice acting. I can't remember the last console RPG I played with no voice acting for at least cutscenes. They are doing it to save money.

Yeah nowadays its weird to leave out the voice acting... I guess they can use the excuse of tradition but DQ VIII had one of the best voice acting of any game I feel like it helped you to become closer to the characters especially Yangus and King Trodain. Hell even "Charmless" was awesome due to his voice. I also have a soft spot for Martha " Theres still some life left in this old Babushka!!" I cant imagine the scene would have as much of an impact without the solid voice acting.

I guess I can add it up to them just not amking enough sales in the West to justify adding voices. I also feel its a bit of being cheap and lazy on their end as well. I dont think Japan would have any complaints if they added voice acting to the game.

I dunno I guess for every two steps forward they're gonna take a couple steps back....

I didn't even notice it didn't have any until I saw this thread and forgot VIII had it since I haven't played it in years. It sounds like they weren't thinking about the script from the start. I guess with VIII all of that was planned out before hand, but after hearing the Japanese release didn't have it I imagine it must've been weird to watch the cutscenes in the game because I don't think it had text boxes.

I bet it saved them a ton in December cost and time. I personally wish they had gone with voice acting. I haven't enjoyed a dragon quest game except for 8.

Was voice acting really the reason you couldn't enjoy any of the other games? Have you played JRPGs in general?

Aeana

Voice acting is overrated

what isn't, on the other hand, is good use of speech bubbles

I hate how every game wants me to read text on the bottom of the screen these days

That part is definitely never going to change in Dragon Quest, but a lot of other RPGs have been moving to speech bubbles.

Voice samples don't take much space, especially when compressed. Dragon Quest 8 is less than 2GB on the 3DS and you can release games up to 8GB there.
DQVIII is actually one of the largest 3DS games at 3.6GB. It's DQVII that was less than 2GB and that of course had no voice acting. Then you look at a relatively simple 2D game like Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker but with tons of voice in it and it goes all the way up to 3.5GB.

More than that, for the English version, they actually put in the effort to redo every single one of Jessica's lines with her new actress.
Oh yeah, that's true as well. I was really expecting the PS2 dub + no new VA at best but they really went the extra mile considering the new lines the characters needed. They really went above my expectations in that regard. Unfortunately Sugiyama had to Sugiyama.

I do wonder if they'll be able to convince him this time with DQXI. I just want this game to succeed in the west.

It's not a big deal at all. Everyone in here is used to playing JRPGs without voice acting. I think the majority in the genre doesn't have voice acting.

sotojuan

I do wonder if they'll be able to convince him this time with DQXI. I just want this game to succeed in the west.

My feeling has been that Western gamers are hungry for traditional RPGs. Not sure if it's nostalgia or franchises like FF going action/open world but I see people asking for "classic" JRPG recommendations more in the past few years. DQXI may get some sales from that in the West.

scamander

Banned
DQVIII is actually one of the largest 3DS games at 3.6GB. It's DQVII that was less than 2GB and that of course had no voice acting. Then you look at a relatively simple 2D game like Devil Survivor Record Breaker but with tons of voice in it and it goes all the way up to 3.5GB.

Yeah, I've edited my mistake already.
Technically they can still go up to 8GB, though. I also don't think the huge size difference between DQVII and VIII is largely due to the voice acting.

Shahed

They're not gonna make a big budget Dragon Quest game on home consoles for the West, and then not give it voice acting. Especially since the preceeding games have it.

Did the heroes games have VA in Japan?

scamander

Banned
They're not gonna make a big budget Dragon Quest game on home consoles for the West, and then not give it voice acting. Especially since the preceeding games have it

One of the preceding games, which was released 12 years ago, at a time they were trying to push the series in the West.

I mean, I can totally see it happen, but it's not a given imho.

DR2K

Banned
If it makes its way here without voice acting, I'll just wait until it hits $20-$30 mark. This way everyone gets to save money. ;)

Series creator Yuji Horii also had a focus on wanting the players to properly focus on the scenario until the very end. He also did a lot of fine-tuning details of the script until the very very end. With this significance in mind, they decided to not include any voice acting into Dragon Quest XI.

Well, IX had no voice acting and that script wasn't exactly any great shakes. :/

Hopefully this one's better.

Shahed

One of the preceding games, which was released 12 years ago, at a time they were trying to push the series in the West.

I'm talking Heroes I and II as well. For those who played Dragon Quest on PS4 in the West, it'd be going backwards.

And that one game is the only mainline console DQ they've released worldwide. This will be the next

I wouldn't mind Japanese voice acting if we couldn't get a dub.

If there's any voice acting it will only be English since Japanese voice does not even exist for this game as this news confirmed. And they obviously aren't going to create a Japanese voice track just for the west.

Edit: Beaten lol.

but works surprisingly well on 3DS.

Eh, I loved having voices in Bravely Default for example.

sotojuan

Ohhh... there's not even Japanese voice acting....

I'm still gonna support the game.

They haven't said anything about English voice acting (or a Western release for that matter). No need to freak out and complain about the Western release. It'll probably have voice acting, but first let's make sure we actually get it.

Eusis

Yeah, I've edited my mistake already.
Technically they can still go up to 8GB, though. I also don't think the huge size difference between DQVII and VIII is largely due to the voice acting.
DQVIII did have more in the way of assets and the like, so I can see that not just being VA, but I would imagine SE would rather be cheap with the carts, and frankly the expectations of a handheld game alone probably mean they'd feel OK skimping there. It's probably doable to some extent, but one that's worth it? Not unless Nintendo pushes anyway but they've been historically one of the slowest on embracing VA anyway.

scamander

Banned
I'm talking Heroes I and II as well. For those who played Dragon Quest on PS4 in the West, it'd be going backwards.

And that one game is the only mainline console DQ they've released worldwide. This will be the next

That's an action oriented musou game, though- not quite the same.

EDIT:
Eh, I loved having voices in Bravely Default for example.

Sure, it would be nice if they included voice acting here on 3DS as well. But unlike the jarring PS4 version it still works without imho.

DQVIII did have more in the way of assets and the like, so I can see that not just being VA, but I would imagine SE would rather be cheap with the carts, and frankly the expectations of a handheld game alone probably mean they'd feel OK skimping there. It's probably doable to some extent, but one that's worth it? Not unless Nintendo pushes anyway but they've been historically one of the slowest on embracing VA anyway.

I'm glad if we get the 3DS version of the game in the first place, lol. :p
I only wanted to clarify there is no technical reason for no voice acting. I absolutely don't think it will happen, though.

brinstar

I don't think Dragon Quest Builders has voice acting.

sotojuan

You know I doubt I would have enjoyed VIII as much as I did if it wasn't for the really great voice acting. This is a big loss for me.

Shame.
Please re-read the thread. This is about the JP version of the game. Original DQVIII JP version did not have voice acting - it was added for the West.

Top Bottom