• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix France teasing Type-0 for E3; "j" found in Agito app name in Japan

Wilsongt

I fully expect an Agito announcement that I won't be able to play due to it not being supported on my phone.

Square-Enix!! *shakes fist*

If they plan on bringing Agito outside of JP (which I think they said they did plan to) then there is no point in them releasing the proper Type-0 or a mobile port of it. It'll just create confusion and will affect the sales of each other.

Type-0 will probably not ever see an English language release, but this has absolutely nothing to do with why.

Eusis

Type-0 will probably not ever see an English language release, but this has absolutely nothing to do with why.
Missed that. Localize it on another platform, say it's the sequel to Agito. Done.

Seriously, it'd only be as confusing as any other sequel outside of the differing naming (and that can be changed in localization though SE's been generally averse to doing that senseless), it'd only be confusing to a minority who paid attention and REMEMBERED Agito from years ago, but didn't follow up that it morphed into Type-0 and that this may be something of a revival of the original concept.

I want to be excited, but I'm tired. Too tired to get excited about another rumour regarding this. But maybe I'm excited... Ugh, just be E3 already so I can know if I'm excited or not!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
1375874584553.jpg

I want to believe... one last time...

Mario007

Missed that. Localize it on another platform, say it's the sequel to Agito. Done.

Seriously, it'd only be as confusing as any other sequel outside of the differing naming (and that can be changed in localization though SE's been generally averse to doing that senseless), it'd only be confusing to a minority who paid attention and REMEMBERED Agito from years ago, but didn't follow up that it morphed into Type-0 and that this may be something of a revival of the original concept.
To be fair Square said that Agito being released in the west actually increases the chances of a type-0 release outside of Japan.

Mr. RHC

I will not believe and I will not be excited. Bye. Type-0 is a lie, the dream is dead, Final Fantasy XIII trilogy is real, FF XV is a rumour.

3r0dlQR.gif

Time I clear up at least 2GB on my iPad, 'cos I'll bet anything it's Agito and not Type-0.

I love Square-Enix threads, because they're usually a load of nothing.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
If it's really anything(it's Square France after all, i dunno how reliable it is), it's either Agito renamed as Type 0(in that case farewell to the localization of the real Type 0) or Agito 2 with the story of Type 0 or Type 0 on console(i hope), there's no way the real Type 0 will be ported on mobile, it needed even more buttons than the ones available on the PSP.

Goli

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201309/18040161.html
――それは、パッケージゲームも手掛けられる田畑さんとしては、悩ましいところでもありますね。本作を、PS Vitaなどで展開するということはないのでしょうか?

田畑 前例として、『拡散性ミリオンアーサー』があるので、可能性はあります。ただ、『FFアギト』は海外展開も視野に入れているのですが、それ以前に『FF零式』が海外で発売されていないので、そのあたりを検討するのが先でしょうね。
Tabata gets asked whether the possibility exists that Agito will get ported to other platforms like Vita, to which he answers the possibility is there since they already ported Million Arthur to Vita, but before porting to another platform they're considering an overseas release for Agito since Type-0 never came out of Japan.

I really think all signs point to Agito getting a localization but not Type-0.

What would be the incentive for Square-Enix to port and localize FF Type-0 to the Vita, ever?

The best we could hope for is a PSP->iOS port ->vita or **shudders** PSP->iOS port->PS Mobile (which would work on the Vita). I think the ship has sailed on a localized version of type-0 on the PSP that would be vita compatible.

Did everyone forget about that Hajime Tabata interview from last year?
Type-0 should come, not for mobile but for a handheld console.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/tgs-agito-type-0-fan-support-and-the-intimacy-of-portables

USG: Yeah, a bit. I didn't get to play it too much, but it seemed really interesting. I was disappointed it didn't come to the U.S.Is that something you're able to shed some light on? It was a very high-profile Final Fantasy title, the first not localized into English in a long time. That absence was felt by a lot of fans.

HT: Some honesty -- some modified honesty -- is required here. When Type 0 initially came out in Japan, we were already working on a localized version for the game. The work did actually start. It exists, to a degree. But at the time, when that work was progressing, the market for PSP in North America and Europe had very much gotten smaller. The projections we got from our overseas subsidiaries in Europe and the U.S. had also shrunk, together with the market.

But we were very conscious -- I was very conscious -- that despite the fact that we weren't able to provide the title at the time, there were many people who wanted to play it. I heard all the voices calling for it. An idea we had at the time was that, well, if the PSP market is shrinking, then maybe its successor, the PS Vita, was something we could consider for the title. At the time of this proposal, though, when we were talking about a Vita version, the number of Vita units in North America and Europe and what their expectations were, all that was very unclear. This was before it was launched, or right as it was being launched. These kinds of things were unclear, and the company was uncomfortable with going forward on the project without knowing more information about what the expectations were. Our final decision on that was to wait a bit and see what would happen.

This is more than the Tokyo office. This was the feedback we were getting from the overseas subsidiaries. They were all concerned about how well Vita would penetrate the market and how successful it would be. "Concern" is the operative word. They're the people who were closest to the users that would be wanting the product, so their voice was considered very carefully. Their assessment was that it would perhaps be a better idea to go the PS3 HD conversion route, which would be able to take in more users than the PS Vita.

When that proposal came along, this possible switch to a full console environment, as a person who was developing the title... I thought the general blueprint for how the game was made was for mobile, or at least a mobile console. The distance from which you look at the screen is different, as opposed to looking at a TV. Everything was made for this, the battle system and everything else. Now, if I was going to port it to the console environment, it would need a pretty large overhaul of the game systems.

And that would of course take a lot of time and money and man-hours. The decision we came to in the end was that we would wait until other technologies or other portable console emerged. We would see how the Vita actually did in the western markets. Then it would be more prudent to have a full picture of what was available and what would give us the best environment, both creatively and business-wise, for the game.

This was all going on about a year ago. Now, with Agito coming up, our hope – my hope – is that we'll be able to provide users in North America and Europe with both Agito and Type 0 as a full experience. That would be ideal, if we could provide both for the users. That's the direction we're going in right now. With Agito coming out, we can provide that full experience.

USG: So the prospect of a localized Type-0 isn't entirely off the table?

HT: Yes, it will definitely be localized. Obviously the release of Agito factors into this decision, but it wasn't just that. I now hear from the subsidiaries that Type-0 is something that they really want released in their regions. With Agito coming out -- Agito coming out is a certainty for North America and Europe -- the subsidiaries' opinion was that releasing Agito without having access to Type-0 would not be the best idea.

Well, let me modify this statement a bit. [Type-0's localization] is in the final stages of consideration. It's definitely the direction that we want to go in. Nothing is absolutely concrete right now with release dates or anything like that. But it's definitely something that we want to do. Really, the primary motivation behind wanting to release the whole experience would be all the support and passion and enthusiasm of the North American and European gaming community that has reached out to us and asked for it. I feel very thankful, very grateful for that enthusiasm.

USG: So the idea of Type 0 coming west, that would be for PlayStation Network, and not a reworked version for iOS or other smartphones?

HT: Yeah. The current direction that we're going in is not the iOS or Android application route. But like you say, the same platform. It was originally designed for a handheld console environment, so that's what we're going for still.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did everyone forget about that Hajime Tabata interview from last year?
Type-0 should come, not for mobile but for a handheld console.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/tgs-agito-type-0-fan-support-and-the-intimacy-of-portables
People aren't wondering if Type-0 is getting ported to mobile, but rather if this announcement might be the separate Agito game that is a mobile game, given the tweet chain as a whole and many of the questions they were answering at the time were about Agito.

People aren't wondering if Type-0 is getting ported to mobile, but rather if this announcement might be the separate Agito game that is a mobile game, given the tweet chain as a whole and many of the questions they were answering at the time were about Agito.

But he said they want to bring both games, and that releasing Agito without first bringing Type-0 wouldn't be a good idea.

Top Bottom